Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Multiband Compressor by Mani Consulting Limited Company

Comments

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@DavidM said:
    I personally think that such claims can't be made without a detailed description of the testing protocol (signals, levels, frequencies), which plugins were tested, what settings they used, whether they have lookahead or not (which is a huge factor!) and what objective metric was used to support the claim. Without that, anyone can claim to have the cleanest compressor (or any other plugin for that matter)..... It just becomes marketing yada yada.

If there is another serious contender for the cleanest compressor contest I would be happy to record a video were we do whichever tests you suggest.

Fairly obvious it’ll be ToneBoosters that he’s got the hots for...

• @Blue_Mangoo Thank you for the demos and for your consistently stellar products. I find many of your apps indispensable and several are in my daily rotation. For the price of a sandwich, I could just support a great developer and compare this multiband compressor to all the others I already own. This online community wants to be a helpful and productive participant in your creations, and I personally thank you for your presence here. Your willingness to engage with petulant consumers is commendable, and rest assured that most of us support you and your work and believe in your track record.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Charlesalbert said:

I got a lot of distortion anyone can help me? Am I doing something wrong?

Do you have that problem with all sources?

What sample rate and buffer size are you using?

No I was using > @espiegel123 said:

@Charlesalbert said:

I got a lot of distortion anyone can help me? Am I doing something wrong?

Do you have that problem with all sources?

It was the buffer size.

It crackles if set To 1024.

Back to 512 and all is fine.

• I just bought the app. Thanks @Blue_Mangoo also from me. I like very much the fact that you write here and all your support.

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@DavidM said:
    I personally think that such claims can't be made without a detailed description of the testing protocol (signals, levels, frequencies), which plugins were tested, what settings they used, whether they have lookahead or not (which is a huge factor!) and what objective metric was used to support the claim. Without that, anyone can claim to have the cleanest compressor (or any other plugin for that matter)..... It just becomes marketing yada yada.

If there is another serious contender for the cleanest compressor contest I would be happy to record a video were we do whichever tests you suggest.

I do like toneboosters a lot, but this does look easier to use (but maybe also less powerful).

• Toneboosters isn’t multiband is it?

• @gusgranite said:
    Toneboosters isn’t multiband is it?

It is, though the interface isn't the most intuitive.

• @Charlesalbert said:

@espiegel123 said:

It was the buffer size.

It crackles if set To 1024.

Back to 512 and all is fine.

This is the key information. We will work on fixing it. Thanks for reporting

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:
    @Blue_Mangoo Thank you for the demos and for your consistently stellar products. I find many of your apps indispensable and several are in my daily rotation. For the price of a sandwich, I could just support a great developer and compare this multiband compressor to all the others I already own. This online community wants to be a helpful and productive participant in your creations, and I personally thank you for your presence here. Your willingness to engage with petulant consumers is commendable, and rest assured that most of us support you and your work and believe in your track record.

That’s very kind of you sir. :)

• edited September 2020

@TheOriginalPaulB said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@DavidM said:

Thanks. That makes sense since it comes from a very reputable developer and it’s a relatively recent release. I am also interested to see how it compares.

Edit: I bought the toneboosters compressor and ran some tests. Toneboosters compressor is indeed a very clean compressor. The distortion level of both our compressor and the toneboosters compressor is so low that I can’t detect any distortion at all with the tools I was using. I’ll try some other tools later. Even if there is a difference, it won’t be an audible difference.

• @cian said:

@gusgranite said:

I’m really confused now. This one? https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/tb-compressor/id1517791397

(Apologies for the OT - this Mani Multiband looks awesome).

• @gusgranite said:

@cian said:

@gusgranite said:

I’m really confused now. This one? https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/tb-compressor/id1517791397

Right. It’s called band limited compression. At least I think you can do multi band. I’ve not tried. Maybe only single band is supported.

• @cian said:

@gusgranite said:

@cian said:

@gusgranite said:

Right. It’s called band limited compression. At least I think you can do multi band. I’ve not tried. Maybe only single band is supported.

It has a filter applied to the sidechain. It’s an interesting and innovative design. I couldn’t find a way to use it for multiband processing but it’s a cool feature all the same.

• DJBDJB
    edited September 2020

@cian said:

@gusgranite said:

@cian said:

@gusgranite said:

Yup our compressor won't do multi-band compression (at least not this one; TB Equalizer can do something along the lines of multi-band dynamics with the dynamic EQ). It can do compression applied to a limited frequency band only; I suppose it would be equivalent to running @Blue_Mangoo's multi-band compressor with the other bands set to a ratio of 1.0...(?)

@Blue_Mangoo - great multiband comp; that was lacking on iOS (we've been thinking about developing one at some point as well...). And thanks for testing our compressor!

• Ah sorry for the confusion. I guess I should just buy this thing now... woe is me 😌

I find your compressors complement very well. Yin and Yang of compressors.

• @DJB said:

@cian said:

@gusgranite said:

@cian said:

@gusgranite said:

Yup our compressor won't do multi-band compression (at least not this one; TB Equalizer can do something along the lines of multi-band dynamics with the dynamic EQ). It can do compression applied to a limited frequency band only; I suppose it would be equivalent to running @Blue_Mangoo's multi-band compressor with the other bands set to a ratio of 1.0...(?)

@Blue_Mangoo - great multiband comp; that was lacking on iOS (we've been thinking about developing one at some point as well...). And thanks for testing our compressor!

Toneboosters: Thanks. After some brief testing I am very impressed with your compressor. And I see one really smart idea in there that I want to implement in my own compressors.

• Make sure you buy both, people! They are both awesome compressors by killer developers!

• @cian said:
    Ah sorry for the confusion. I guess I should just buy this thing now... woe is me 😌

I find your compressors complement very well. Yin and Yang of compressors.

The testflight link at the top of this thread is still active. You can try it before you buy.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Jocphone said:
    Following on from our previous discussion @Blue_Mangoo this would be the perfect plugin to gain multi-outs.

Then I could add a bit of distortion on the low bass, bit of reverb on the high-pass..

What are the chances?

We are working on something for that. Something different. Not a compressor. But coming in the next few days.

While that sounds great I would imagine a frequency split or somesuch would benefit from some level compression on each channel and adding it separately per channel would be much less efficient?

• How does this compare to Pro-MB? As I understand it FF's isn't a traditional multiband compressor.

• @Blue_Mangoo loving the sidechaining but have a quick question about the soft knee dial. Is it only possible to set 3 steps on this - hard (bottom left), soft (top center) and supersoft (bottom right)? Sorry if I'm being a bit dopey, but just checking it isn't supposed to be a continuous setting.

• edited September 2020

@enkaytee said:
    @Blue_Mangoo loving the sidechaining but have a quick question about the soft knee dial. Is it only possible to set 3 steps on this - hard (bottom left), soft (top center) and supersoft (bottom right)? Sorry if I'm being a bit dopey, but just checking it isn't supposed to be a continuous setting.

It’s a fair question.

In psychoacoustic research there is a concept called Just Noticeable Difference (JND). That refers to the smallest change in a setting that produces an audible difference. For example, when adjusting a volume control, a difference of less than 1dB is not easy to hear. I don’t remember what the JND is for volume. But let’s suppose it’s 1 dB. If so then when I design a volume control that allows adjustments finer than 1 dB I am just wasting the user’s time and making the app more cumbersome to adjust.

The goal when designing controls for a plugin UI is to limit the choices on each control knob so that the space between each value is only a little more than the JND so that each and every value you select is audibly and significantly different from the other choices. If we have done that correctly then you never waste time making adjustments that won’t make a difference.

The effect of the knee width setting is subtle and difficult to hear. we only allow three settings because we feel that any more than that would not meaningfully improve the sound of your mixes; it would just slow you down and waste your time.

• @Blue_Mangoo Just purchased the multiband compressor and I must say I am very impressed. I loaded Digistix into AUM and had a quick play. Using your app makes it so easy to pick certain frequencies and enhance or mask the sound.

Not sure if it's a bug but every time I turn the ratio knob below 2.1 it crashes the app and I have to reload it. This happens in full spectrum mode.

Could you see if you can replicate this please?

• @Blue_Mangoo thanks for already fixing the bug when you set latency over 512 ms. great. Really great work.

• @Sandstorm said:
    @Blue_Mangoo Just purchased the multiband compressor and I must say I am very impressed. I loaded Digistix into AUM and had a quick play. Using your app makes it so easy to pick certain frequencies and enhance or mask the sound.

Not sure if it's a bug but every time I turn the ratio knob below 2.1 it crashes the app and I have to reload it. This happens in full spectrum mode.

Hi @Sandstorm thanks for reporting this.

I reproduced this bug on my iphone yesterday. After the update that released on the app store this morning I do not see the bug happening on my phone anymore.

Can you confirm that the latest update resolved the problem for you?

• @Charlesalbert said:
    @Blue_Mangoo thanks for already fixing the bug when you set latency over 512 ms. great. Really great work.

Thanks for reporting it. It is a lucky thing you were able to identify buffer size as the cause of the problem because that made it relatively easy for us to fix the bug.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@enkaytee said:
    @Blue_Mangoo loving the sidechaining but have a quick question about the soft knee dial. Is it only possible to set 3 steps on this - hard (bottom left), soft (top center) and supersoft (bottom right)? Sorry if I'm being a bit dopey, but just checking it isn't supposed to be a continuous setting.

It’s a fair question.

In psychoacoustic research there is a concept called Just Noticeable Difference (JND). That refers to the smallest change in a setting that produces an audible difference. For example, when adjusting a volume control, a difference of less than 1dB is not easy to hear. I don’t remember what the JND is for volume. But let’s suppose it’s 1 dB. If so then when I design a volume control that allows adjustments finer than 1 dB I am just wasting the user’s time and making the app more cumbersome to adjust.

The goal when designing controls for a plugin UI is to limit the choices on each control knob so that the space between each value is only a little more than the JND so that each and every value you select is audibly and significantly different from the other choices. If we have done that correctly then you never waste time making adjustments that won’t make a difference.

The effect of the knee width setting is subtle and difficult to hear. we only allow three settings because we feel that any more than that would not meaningfully improve the sound of your mixes; it would just slow you down and waste your time.

Makes perfect sense - there's definitely a JND between the 3 settings for certain bands, less so with others depending on the source - a useful feature though!

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Sandstorm said:
    @Blue_Mangoo Just purchased the multiband compressor and I must say I am very impressed. I loaded Digistix into AUM and had a quick play. Using your app makes it so easy to pick certain frequencies and enhance or mask the sound.

Hi @Sandstorm thanks for reporting this.

I reproduced this bug on my iphone yesterday. After the update that released on the app store this morning I do not see the bug happening on my phone anymore.

Can you confirm that the latest update resolved the problem for you?

Just updated the app and all is good! Thanks again for a great app.

• @Lil_Stu07 said:
    How does this compare to Pro-MB? As I understand it FF's isn't a traditional multiband compressor.

+1 Exactly what I’d like to know

• @Strizbiz said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:
    How does this compare to Pro-MB? As I understand it FF's isn't a traditional multiband compressor.

+1 Exactly what I’d like to know

I haven’t bought FF MB yet. I’ll check it out when I have time