Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Spacecraft beta

Comments

• @craftycurate said:

@deltaVaudio said:

@Harro said:
    Since Spacecraft became AUV3, I wonder why this app has two (2) ‘granulizers’ in one app. Exactly the same functionality, taking a lot of space, etc. I find this a bit annoying, because when I just need one granulizer (most of the time), I always have to take care of the second one, which is hard to disable, especially when Spacecraft is used with midi-in and you cannot disable midi-in for one of the granulizers! My wish for the upcoming update would be: make Spacecraft a ‘ single-sample’ granulizer AUV3 app (with more UI-space for extra functionality as requested/mentioned above) OR give us an option in Settings to disable midi and/or audio per granulizer. Please!

In my opinion, two granulises is the sweet spot for creating interesting sounds.

You can easily disable the audio output from the second granuliser by moving the crosshairs in the main panel down to the bottom (grain amplitude).

Was wondering if it's possible to disable the second granuliser to save on CPU? I guess that simply turning the volume down doesn't deactivate the unit, and therefore it still consumes CPU?

It does still consume CPU. I'm considering implementing this change as a global option.

• edited January 2021

@deltaVaudio said:

@stellare_modular said:
    Standalone

I just tried loading standalone, starting infinite recording, closing the app, then reopening the app. Unfortunately I wasn't able to recreate it. Do you by any chance remember if you had any other apps running when this happened?
    Cheers

No Spacecraft was the only app open,the ipad was locked for a little while maybe 30 minutes or so. I can send you the crashlog if you want, perhaps you find some hints there.

• Btw you can see if you leave it running recording and then lock the ipad for 5 minutes when you unlock the ipad you see that the app freezes for 10 seconds and then it comes back so i guess when you lock it for a longer time at one point it just crashes.

• @stellare_modular said:
    Btw you can see if you leave it running recording and then lock the ipad for 5 minutes when you unlock the ipad you see that the app freezes for 10 seconds and then it comes back so i guess when you lock it for a longer time at one point it just crashes.

Great info. Thanks a lot

• I managed to get the infinity mode to add a Ukulele to my guitar... @deltaVaudio

• @rud said:

I managed to get the infinity mode to add a Ukulele to my guitar... @deltaVaudio

cool, it does sound a bit like ukulele!

• @rud said:

I managed to get the infinity mode to add a Ukulele to my guitar... @deltaVaudio

That's cool; enjoyed that.

• Cheers @lukesleepwalker, I didn’t quite understand the infinity setting so I messed around until some bloke walked in our house with a Uke and started playing. I didn’t see that in the update but I’m glad he came. Wonder what the next update will bring? 🤟🪕🎺

• edited April 2021

Anyone heard from Mark @deltaVaudio recently? I tried emailing a week or so ago and got no reply...worried he may have had a relapse...

• @enkaytee said:
    Anyone heard from Mark @deltaVaudio recently? I tried emailing a wekk or so ago and got no reply...worried he may have had a relapse...

Not to worry. I still can't really walk (need crutches) but other than that I'm doing fine. I will always reply to anybody who @s me on this forum.

Mind you, I couldn't find the email you sent, could you please resend it?

• @deltaVaudio said:

@enkaytee said:
    Anyone heard from Mark @deltaVaudio recently? I tried emailing a wekk or so ago and got no reply...worried he may have had a relapse...

Not to worry. I still can't really walk (need crutches) but other than that I'm doing fine. I will always reply to anybody who @s me on this forum.

Good to hear. I wish you all the best for your continuing recovery.

• edited April 2021

@deltaVaudio said:

@enkaytee said:

Mind you, I couldn't find the email you sent, could you please resend it?

@deltaVaudio Hi Mark - just resent email to your deltavaudio@ address...hoping for a continuing recovery...👍

• @rud said:

Woooooowwwwww. Looove this!. I want it!. Can it do this magic live, as in real time as you play guitar into it?

• edited July 2021

@tahiche said:

@rud said:

Woooooowwwwww. Looove this!. I want it!. Can it do this magic live, as in real time as you play guitar into it?

Yep! This is a special class of granular synth - it’s both polyphonic, and it granulates live audio. The mode you’re looking for is called ‘Infinite mode’, and you can turn it on in the settings under sampling mode. No other granular on iOS does live poly pitch shifting as well as SpaceCraft, in my experience. The only other app that can do exactly the same thing is iPulsaret. All the other live granular are either monophonic, or they don’t track midi.

• @aleyas said:

@tahiche said:

@rud said:

Yep! This is a special class of granular synth - it’s both polyphonic, and it granulates live audio. The mode you’re looking for is called ‘Infinite mode’, and you can turn it on in the settings under sampling mode. No other granular on iOS does live poly pitch shifting as well as SpaceCraft, in my experience. The only other app that can do exactly the same thing is iPulsaret. All the other live granular are either monophonic, or they don’t track midi.

Is it playing the ukelele part via a midi keyboard?. I bought BLEASS Granulizer which is cool but being able to pitch those grains at will would be amazing.

• edited July 2021

@tahiche said:

@aleyas said:

@tahiche said:

@rud said:

Is it playing the ukelele part via a midi keyboard?. I bought BLEASS Granulizer which is cool but being able to pitch those grains at will would be amazing.

Not exactly, think of it as a harmonizer. @rud put spacecraft to transpose the grains 1 octave up. On top of that, there is a slight delay. The rate that a new grain is generated influences the tone of the 'ukulele'. If the grains are generated at high frequencies (densities), they begin to blur into each other, giving the impression of a continuous sound (so it just sounds like normal pitch shifting). When the grains are generated at lower frequencies, you can actually hear their individual envelopes (grain windows) - so they can sound like there's a lfo or envelope controlling the volume of the sound.
    An interesting thing about SpaceCraft, is when you've selected several pitches for the grains to be transposed to, when the grains are generated at lower rates, then each pitch is transposed in sequence. This makes it possible to create grain sequences and arpeggios. But at grain generation rate, then the pitches just sound like normal overlapping polyphony.

Granular can do really cool stuff to live sounds - the way I like to think of it is as a unique harmonizer / pitch shifter, with an included delay.

• @tahiche said:

@aleyas said:

@tahiche said:

@rud said:

You can change the grain pitches via MIDI whilst doing live granulation via infinite mode, if you like

• @deltaVaudio said:

@tahiche said:

@aleyas said:

@tahiche said:

@rud said:

You can change the grain pitches via MIDI whilst doing live granulation via infinite mode, if you like

I stumbled into this setting when experimenting. I think the key thing is the delay effect/offset that is created by where I put the play-head position. I think it was a fluke as I’ve struggled to reproduce that exact timing effect since then. I wonder if Spacecraft gets another update would it be possible to have sync snap settings? 1/8, 1/4 & 1/2 etc? I’m no programmer and don’t know if that’s possible but it could be good. Even if it never gets another update it will always be a thing of beauty. Long live Spacecraft and all who sail in her 👍

• OK, you guys finally talked me into it. Bought it.

• @deltaVaudio, how are you feeling these days, Mark? Better, I hope.

• @deltaVaudio said:

@tahiche said:

@aleyas said:

@tahiche said:

@rud said:

On the current Spacecraft version too?. Or is this only on the new beta?.
    Cheers!

• @tahiche said:

@deltaVaudio said:

@tahiche said:

@aleyas said:

@tahiche said:

@rud said:

Cheers!

Yeah, the current version does midi. You can play it like a polysynth.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @deltaVaudio, how are you feeling these days, Mark? Better, I hope.

I'm doing fine now thanks for asking! I'm still having difficulty walking and will do for quite a while but I'm doing ok and my brain is working fine.

• @tahiche said:
    Cheers!

This works on the App Store version

• @rud said:
    I stumbled into this setting when experimenting. I think the key thing is the delay effect/offset that is created by where I put the play-head position. I think it was a fluke as I’ve struggled to reproduce that exact timing effect since then. I wonder if Spacecraft gets another update would it be possible to have sync snap settings? 1/8, 1/4 & 1/2 etc? I’m no programmer and don’t know if that’s possible but it could be good. Even if it never gets another update it will always be a thing of beauty. Long live Spacecraft and all who sail in her 👍

haha. Thanks man

• @deltaVaudio hello Mark, sorry for mentioning updates as I realise you have much more important things to deal with right now. Wishing you all the best 🌟

• @rud said:

I was thinking about this idea of having snap for infinite (i.e. snapping the playhead in order to sync to tempo). But unfortunately this would not be feasible as it would depend on the tempo of the source material in the sample in order to work. Also, as soon as you play a different note, the sync would get messed up. The only way to do this will be to fine tune the playhead until you hear it syncing up.

• edited July 2021

Incidentally, are there any instructions or training materials for using this app with iOS GarageBand? It only allows me use it as an IAA effect on an empty track with no other instruments or keyboards driving the sound, which is quite limiting. As a standalone, it works great, but then I can’t add other complimentary tracks with instruments or percussion.

• @NeuM said:
    Incidentally, are there any instructions or training materials for using this app with iOS GarageBand? It only allows me use it as an IAA effect on an empty track with no other instruments or keyboards driving the sound, which is quite limiting. As a standalone, it works great.

The main thing you need to know about GB is that it will work as IAA but not as AUv3. Also, when using as IAA, GB will mute the audio unless you plug in headphones for some reason. Other than that you just use it like any other IAA.

• edited July 2021

@deltaVaudio said:

@NeuM said:
    Incidentally, are there any instructions or training materials for using this app with iOS GarageBand? It only allows me use it as an IAA effect on an empty track with no other instruments or keyboards driving the sound, which is quite limiting. As a standalone, it works great.

The main thing you need to know about GB is that it will work as IAA but not as AUv3. Also, when using as IAA, GB will mute the audio unless you plug in headphones for some reason. Other than that you just use it like any other IAA.

Strange, I did use headphones but to no avail. Clearly, I’m missing something in my setup.