Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Problems running multiple audio apps - IAA or AUV3

I'm having problems running multiple audio apps on my iPad, using AudioBus 3.
This is an iiPad mini4 (close to 5 yrs old) running IOS 13, plenty of memory to spare.

I'm trying to combine, under AB3, three audio apps, but discovering I can't do even two. The apps I'm trying are Beathawk, Blocswave and FM Player 2.

I've tried both IAA and where possible AUV3, but it seems IOS will always at some point unload something from memory (even AB3) or sometimes the apps will glitch up to a point where only a reboot of the iPad can recover things. All in all, it's just unpredictable what will fail.

Both beathawk and blocswave are sample based, so I wonder if that's more demanding of processing power (than a synth which is generating audio) ?

Am I expecting too much from this iPad ?

Would AUM handle this better than AB3 ?

Any ideas and thoughts welcome,

Comments

• My Air2 doesn’t have issue (iOS 13)
    Keep in mind AudioKit apps (FM) are buggy ,well not buggy ,but horrible optimized , too much memory and cpu...
    Try a soft reset and increasing the buffer ,but my guess is out of memory

• @bibenu FM Player 2 is also sample based. And using samples means some biggish data needs to be loaded into processor memory for the app to work. I agree with @Korakios that you're probably just running out of memory. Unfortunately, no way to tell in iOS. But your mini 4 has 2 GB of memory, so should be better. Have you tried force quitting other apps, especially browsers, which can hang onto large blocks of memory?

• Ah I didn't know FM player was also sample based. Thank you. Yes I did quit out of all non-essential (for music) apps, and rebooted a few times too, which must have also cleared out memory.

• edited September 2020

iknow @wim got great tips on how to optimize iOS chk this old thread https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/15493/audio-recording-glitches-need-help

• Hi @bibenu what are your buffer settings in AB3?

The higher they are the more apps you can get away with. But, also the higher they are, the higher the latency (the time between when you play a note and when you hear the sound). The trick is finding the right balance.

Don't expect to get away with a whole lot from your mini 4. That device, like my slightly faster Air 2, is pretty weak by todays standards. Still, I would expect you to be able to run Blocs, one instance of FM2, and Beathawk all at the same time. Use the AU versions of apps when they're available to reduce problems.

iOS doesn't remove AB3 from memory. If AB3 has shut down, then that means it has crashed. There's a post from @Michael around here somewhere about how to share crash logs. I'll see if I can dig it up.

• @bibenu said:
    I'm having problems running multiple audio apps on my iPad, using AudioBus 3.
    This is an iiPad mini4 (close to 5 yrs old) running IOS 13, plenty of memory to spare.

I'm trying to combine, under AB3, three audio apps, but discovering I can't do even two. The apps I'm trying are Beathawk, Blocswave and FM Player 2.

I've tried both IAA and where possible AUV3, but it seems IOS will always at some point unload something from memory (even AB3) or sometimes the apps will glitch up to a point where only a reboot of the iPad can recover things. All in all, it's just unpredictable what will fail.

Both beathawk and blocswave are sample based, so I wonder if that's more demanding of processing power (than a synth which is generating audio) ?

Am I expecting too much from this iPad ?

Would AUM handle this better than AB3 ?

Any ideas and thoughts welcome,

Those are 3 cpu heavy apps...