Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AU CPU load iOS13 vs. iOS14

edited September 2020 in General App Discussion

did small test before updated to iOS14 ... tried 6 instances of Model D in NS2 (buffer size high wich is 512, iPad Mini 5) - on iOS 13 steady load 83% cpu, on iOS14 it oscillates between 79% and 80% ... interesting, not big difference but still it means small space for few more CPU light plugins, so looks like there are some under the hood optimalisations probably in plugin <=> host communication api, or OS core is a bit better optimised so it eats tiny bit less cpu :-)

Od course it may be just statisticall errorp

It would be nice if more people check this... but important - checl ot only at fully loaded project which are above 80% of CPU load to avoid results distorted by CPU polling

Comments

• Thanks @dendy for sharing .
    I have an Air2 so I’ll wait for a while (14.1 at least) before upgrading :)

• For me it's about the same on the iPad Air 2 with iPadOS14 as it was with iPadOS13...
    ...then again it's a pretty old device (~6 years now and battery is pretty bad) so I no longer expect any major miracles :)

• edited September 2020

actually, i expected bigger difference on slower devices so probably it was just some random quantum fluctuation :-))

• I would expect older devices being affected negatively if anything. Core management, multi-threading are mostly relevant in newer devices, for old devices this will be additional processing without benefit.

• @dendy said:
    actually, i expected bigger difference on slower devices so probably it was just some random quantum fluctuation :-))

Unfortunately degrading comes later , from iOS 12 to 13 everything worked fine , but after patching it killed the performance and had to double the buffer

@0tolerance4silence said:
    I would expect older devices being affected negatively if anything. Core management, multi-threading are mostly relevant in newer devices, for old devices this will be additional processing without benefit.

I don’t think so , multithreading always helped ,at least on desktop PCs

• I'm still quite happy that my old iPad Air 2 can push the latest version of iPadOS without feeling too dated...
    The iPad Air 2's A8X has 3 cores running at 1.5Ghz and 2GB of ram and 8 Core GPU.

The current iPad Air 3 and iPad 8 are very close in specs with the Air 3 having a laminated screen both otherwise almost the same. When it comes to price a 64GB iPad Air 3 goes for 5990:- here in Sweden and a 128GB iPad 8 goes for 4990:- and I doubt the laminated screen and half the memory is worth it.

Both still have the headphone jack which on the iPad I use quite frequently when I'm too lazy to lug along an audio interface, Charger, CCK and a bunch of cables for power and connectivity.

I'm in no rush to get a new iPad just yet but if iPadOS14 would have made my Air 2 more sluggish it would likely have pushed me to get a new iPad, So thank's to Apple for postponing me from spending money on new devices :D

• Don't the 2019 Air 3 and 2020 8th Gen both have 3GB RAM?
    https://gsmarena.com/apple_ipad_air_(2019)-9638.php
    https://gsmarena.com/apple_ipad_10_2_(2020)-10445.php

Curious about the 2020 Air 4's A14 vs 2018 Pro's A12X. Since iOS audio apps are single-threaded, the A13/14's better single-core performance is more important? The A13 is slower than the A12X in multi-core tests, and of course Metal.
    https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks

• @Samu said:
    I'm still quite happy that my old iPad Air 2 can push the latest version of iPadOS without feeling too dated...
    The iPad Air 2's A8X has 3 cores running at 1.5Ghz and 2GB of ram and 8 Core GPU.

The current iPad Air 3 and iPad 8 are very close in specs with the Air 3 having a laminated screen both otherwise almost the same. When it comes to price a 64GB iPad Air 3 goes for 5990:- here in Sweden and a 128GB iPad 8 goes for 4990:- and I doubt the laminated screen and half the memory is worth it.

Both still have the headphone jack which on the iPad I use quite frequently when I'm too lazy to lug along an audio interface, Charger, CCK and a bunch of cables for power and connectivity.

I'm in no rush to get a new iPad just yet but if iPadOS14 would have made my Air 2 more sluggish it would likely have pushed me to get a new iPad, So thank's to Apple for postponing me from spending money on new devices :D

@Samu Thats interesting you say the iPad 8 and Air 3 are very close in specs, I would of expected the Air 3 to have a bit more processor power RAM and run more apps. Shame the iPad 8 only goes up to 128GB storage as find I’m nearly hitting that limit now on my iPad Pro 9.7 which is 4 years old and still going strong even though the battery is now lacking.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@Samu Thats interesting you say the iPad 8 and Air 3 are very close in specs, I would of expected the Air 3 to have a bit more processor power RAM and run more apps. Shame the iPad 8 only goes up to 128GB storage as find I’m nearly hitting that limit now on my iPad Pro 9.7 which is 4 years old and still going strong even though the battery is now lacking.

Both the iPad Air 3 and iPad 8 ship with the same A12 CPU and 3GB of ram.
    Since I started to 'clear out' apps I seldom use I now have >15GB free on my 64GB iPad Air 2.

128GB would be enough unless Apple decides to push out Logic for iPad which when fully installed needs a chunk fo storage if one installs all the extras...

Too bad the base storage for the iPad 8(32GB) and iPad Air 4(64GB) is on the lowish side while the Pro's now start at 128GB.
    And even a fully upgraded the iPad Air 4 tops out at 256GB.

So I guess Apples current definition of 'Pro' is 'Needs More Storage Options' or something :D

• @Samu said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Both the iPad Air 3 and iPad 8 ship with the same A12 CPU and 3GB of ram.
    Since I started to 'clear out' apps I seldom use I now have >15GB free on my 64GB iPad Air 2.

128GB would be enough unless Apple decides to push out Logic for iPad which when fully installed needs a chunk fo storage if one installs all the extras...

Too bad the base storage for the iPad 8(32GB) and iPad Air 4(64GB) is on the lowish side while the Pro's now start at 128GB.
    And even a fully upgraded the iPad Air 4 tops out at 256GB.

So I guess Apples current definition of 'Pro' is 'Needs More Storage Options' or something :D

@Samu My bad when you mentioned the Air 3 for some reason I was thinking the that was the latest Air ! Can’t believe we are up to 4 already. I assume the 4 with the A14 bionic is on a different level to the iPad 8 shame the headphone jack been scrapped.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@Samu My bad when you mentioned the Air 3 for some reason I was thinking the that was the latest Air ! Can’t believe we are up to 4 already. I assume the 4 with the A14 bionic is on a different level to the iPad 8 shame the headphone jack been scrapped.

Yepp!
    And even though the iPad Air 4 has an A14 apparently the 'old' A12Z is still faster and has more CPU and GPU cores.
    The interesting thing will be the A14X or what ever it will be called and when that hits the new iPad Pro's.

Considering Apples new 'over the ear' headphones are rumored use USB-C port for audio and charging we can only hope that the next bunch of devices include more ports. The new 'Low-End Laptop/iPad 8 priced' iPad keyboard that Apple makes has a port for charging but doesn't support accessories.

I do wonder why we do not yet have any 'Audio Interfaces' that support USB-PD so when the audio interface is hooked to the iPad (or one USB-C Port Laptop) it could charge it as well...

Novation had the Audio Hub. Now imagine they would 're-invent' it and add USB-C and USB-PD support along with a dose of classic USB-A ports for controllers a few audio inputs (4 in/out?) and a high quality mic-pre and boom, it would sell at 'iPad Prices' like butter in the hot sun...

Oh well, time will tell where things go but the sad reality is that the next eventual iPad update will require a new batch of dongle-hell as well...

• This is good news. I usually wait about a month or so after major releases to make sure the big issues are fixed, but good to know AU CPU usage is same or lesser on new version. Also, that that NS2 bug with IAPs has been resolved.

• @Korakios said:
    I don’t think so , multithreading always helped ,at least on desktop PCs

Maybe in general terms, not for pcs optimised for DAW.
    Back when these became widespread it was advised to disable everything related at bios or os level for couple of years.
    That nominal benefit you gain comes at expense of real time performance.
    We’ll see.

• @Samu said:
    I'm still quite happy that my old iPad Air 2 can push the latest version of iPadOS without feeling too dated...

If my cell provider offers the same killer deal on the iPad 8 that got me the 6th gen, I’ll probably upgrade and give the current one to mum. As nice as an Air 4 sounds, I’m in no hurry to spend that kind of money.

• edited September 2020

Not AU , but informative ,thanks :)
    I thought iOS 14 would fix the lag from iOS 13 ,like from 11 to 12 ,but I was wrong .
    I was thinking keeping my Air2 and replacing battery , maybe if the price is right I'll ask for I downgrade service too.

• I'm happy with iPadOS14 on my iPad Air 2 and do not notice any major speed differences for my use cases.
    Different users have different requirements.

The only thing I do not like about my iPad Air 2 is that its battery is really bad due to it's age.
    On a good day I get maybe 2 1/2h of use before it needs to be charged and it doesn't 'warn', it just shuts off :D

• @Samu You can see a measure of your battery's age if you take one of the log-aggregated files from Settings–>Privacy–>Analytics & Improvements–>Analytics Data. Look for design_capacity, max_capacity, and cycle_count. I use GoodReader for this, but any text editor with search will work. It'll likely confirm what you observe, but at least you can put some numbers to it.

• @Korakios said:
    I was thinking keeping my Air2 and replacing battery , maybe if the price is right I'll ask for I downgrade service too.

eh? Is there such a thing?

• @wim said:

@Korakios said:

eh? Is there such a thing?

Don’t know , I assume Apple service may have the tools to downgrade a device

• @uncledave said:
    @Samu You can see a measure of your battery's age if you take one of the log-aggregated files from Settings–>Privacy–>Analytics & Improvements–>Analytics Data. Look for design_capacity, max_capacity, and cycle_count. I use GoodReader for this, but any text editor with search will work. It'll likely confirm what you observe, but at least you can put some numbers to it.

Used Coconut battery to check...
    it's at 87.5% of design capacity and can be charged to 98.6%. Cycle count is 782 and temperature is 30.1°C.
    I don't trust these numbers as 87.5% doesn't equal 2 1/2 run time when it used to last >8 hours when it was 'fresh' :D

Oh well, nowadays I mainly use my iPad hooked to either a Charger, MacMini or CCK3 when using an Audio Interface.

Cheers!