Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

lfo controlled midi note transposer?

Hello!

I am hoping to find a midi effect auv3 that allows for transposition of incoming notes according the the modulation of an LFO where it allows you to set the range of transposition that can be modulated by the lfo

Ideally, I would like it if this LFO had a random function as well as typical wave functions

My goal is to use this in cubasis which is why I am not simply automating a knob within rozeta scaler (midi fx automation does not work in cubasis) OR attaching rozeta LFO to another midi transposer (no midi learn in cubasis)

is anyone aware of any Midi AUV3s that allow for incoming notes to be transposed according to the movement of a built in LFO? If not- does anyone feel like taking a stab at this in mozaic?

The idea is that this would allow a continuous stream of notes to be transposed according to the modulation of the LFO- as simple example of what this would enable would be:

if you have many identical notes placed close together
C3 C3 C3 C3 C3 C3 C3 C3........ etc

And then modulate their transposition with a sine wave, suddenly your note sequence is doing sweeps like going up and down pitch scales on a harp

Comments

• Interesting concept. There's a thread for requesting someone make a Mozaic script to order.
    I think one of the Mozaic gurus could knock a version of this idea out in an hour or two.

It never hurts to ask. If they want it too they usually try to make it to see if it's useful in their kit.

Just ask here:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/35167/request-new-mozaic-scripts-here

• If you have Drambo you can modulate the midi transpose with an lfo module, you can either put the C3s on a sequencer track or via midi input.

• great idea thank you so much @McD

@GrimLucky for some reason drambo doesn't show up as a midi fx inside of cubasis for me... is that my problem or is it like that for everyone?

• @annahahn said:
    great idea thank you so much @McD

@GrimLucky for some reason drambo doesn't show up as a midi fx inside of cubasis for me... is that my problem or is it like that for everyone?

No it’s doesn’t, sorry I’d missed the Cubasis bit in your post, it shows as midi fx in AUM/AB3.

Midi FX automation doesn’t work for me in Cubasis either.

• @GrimLucky said:
    If you have Drambo you can modulate the midi transpose with an lfo module, you can either put the C3s on a sequencer track or via midi input.

Wouldn't this end up producing stuck notes?

A note-on comes in and gets transposed to another note. By the time the note-off comes, it would be transposed to another note and the first would never be switched off.

• @wim said:

@GrimLucky said:
    If you have Drambo you can modulate the midi transpose with an lfo module, you can either put the C3s on a sequencer track or via midi input.

A note-on comes in and gets transposed to another note. By the time the note-off comes, it would be transposed to another note and the first would never be switched off.

The script just needs to keep track of original note on and what the transposed note was. If there were multiple instances of the same original note, say the sequence was nothing more than a rhythm of all Cs that overlapped and had different durations, then you wouldn’t really know which C to send the note off for but you could just say, oh well, use the earliest.

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

@xor said:

@wim said:

@GrimLucky said:

The script just needs to keep track of original note on and what the transposed note was. If there were multiple instances of the same original note, say the sequence was nothing more than a rhythm of all Cs that overlapped and had different durations, then you wouldn’t really know which C to send the note off for but you could just say, oh well, use the earliest.

I know. I wasn't talking about a script. I was responding to the idea of using Drambo to midi transpose with LFO module.

• If you want to do modular-style sequencing with lfos, I would suggest generating the sequence in mirack.

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    If you want to do modular-style sequencing with lfos, I would suggest generating the sequence in mirack.

This is a special case though. She's not sequencing using LFO's. She wants to transpose using LFOs. That presents a big problem because note-on and note-off arrive at different times. Say a C2 note-on comes in and the LFO transposes that to A2. By the time the note-off comes around, the LFO is no longer at the same value and could transpose the note-off to something else such as D3. There would never be an A2 note-off, causing a stuck note.

So, every time a note on is received, what it was transposed to needs to be tracked somewhere so that the right note-off can be sent when the original note-off is received.

That seems like a tough proposition in miRack. It's doable without too terrible much code in Mozaic.

• edited September 2020

If you check @bcrichards latest Drambo tutorial / demonstration on switches, he actually uses a very interesting technique with transpose.

He uses multiple ‘chord’ modules and routes them to an N-1 switch. He then scans through the inputs using an lfo / graphic modulator routed to position ‘index’. The pitch change was immediate in this case - it’s worth a shot to route the outputs to external midi as well.

In fact, using the N-1 switch, you could set up any number of transpose modules, and automate switching between them with an lfo. I believe that would result in an automatic pitch change..

Maybe Ben could pipe in and let us know if it behaves the same with midi as it does with internal CV?

• edited September 2020

You can point Rozeta LFO at Rozeta Scaler. In fact I think that was one of my earliest test demo videos on Youtube when I was working on it :)

Edit:

• @brambos

Thank you for this! I have done this many times within AUM and love it for this but the problem I am running into is this- Cubasis does not have proper midi learn so I have no way of addressing Scaler via LFO

If Scaler had an option for pre-mapped cc assignment (ie. Cc 22 always controls the incoming transposition fader) then this would allow users working in a daw without proper midi learn to target the transposition fader- as of the current version of scaler there is no way to activate pre-mapped CC assignments though correct? Or am I missing sometning?

• edited September 2020

@annahahn - if you find any technique suitable in Drambo, I think you can save the CC mapping in standalone, and then when you open it in Cubasis it should remember the mapping.

• @aleyas thank you for this!

Based on @wim ’s assessment of the drambo tools I’m not sure if this would work without creating stuck notes and sadly in the current version of drambo it is not recognized by Cubasis as a midi auv3, only audio/instrument

• @annahahn Wim's assessment was indeed correct. I just tried switching between 5 transpose modules - works great internally with CV, but with midi only updates the pitch for each new note on.

If you can't find a reasonable solution, perhaps doing some of your initial sound design in Drambo as a regular Auv3 (instead of midi AU) would help out? I'm finding there are a lot of cool techniques, such as this lfo>transpose, that work great with CV but aren't really supported by the midi spec. Seems to me that CV is the way to go for rolling your own experimental effects. Just a thought.