Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How much would you pay for audio tracks in NS2?

In spite of my attachment to Zenbeats, I still yearn for NS2 but I need those audio tracks. As far as NS2 goes and for my music, having audio tracks in NS2 is by far more valuable to me than anything else. Given all that I have spent on apps of all kinds without ever really getting “total satisfaction”, I would pay $100 US. What would you pay?

How much would you pay for NS2 audio tracks IAP?
  1. How much would you pay for NS2 audio tracks IAP?84 votes
    1. $10 or less
      27.38%
    2. $10 - $20
      32.14%
    3. $20 - $40
      14.29%
    4. $50 or more
      15.48%
    5. Other
      10.71%

Comments

• I'd happily make a donation to fund further development but would prefer a direct route, avoiding the Apple tax. To pay him 10, you have to also pay them 5 (right? IAPs and so on - I bought them for this reason).

The SunVox developer has a 'donate for development' button on his website but that's freeware on most platforms, so I guess the set up's a bit different.

• I think it has nothing to do with money . It’s 100% up to the dev ...
    If a developer needs funding there are dozens ways . Only thing to do is ask.

• I wasn’t really looking for a “donate to the dev” thing here.

Given the importance of audio tracks and the fact that it will be an IAP, my question is, how much would you pay for it? I would pay $100 in a heartbeat because (for me) it’s the only thing NS2 is missing.

I’m just curious what it’s worth to others.

• @Korakios said:
    I think it has nothing to do with money . It’s 100% up to the dev ...
    If a developer needs funding there are dozens ways . Only thing to do is ask.

I agree. No money can buy additional time.

• @anickt said:
    I wasn’t really looking for a “donate to the dev” thing here.

Given the importance of audio tracks and the fact that it will be an IAP, my question is, how much would you pay for it? I would pay $100 in a heartbeat because (for me) it’s the only thing NS2 is missing.

Sorry guv, wrong end of the stick.

For me personally, if it turns out how I expect it eventually will, it'll be worth a lot. 30 easy, 50 ok, 60 wait for a sale. Unrealistic pricing for gen pop of course, and I'd understand outrage if it gets pricey.

• @colonel_mustard said:

@anickt said:
    I wasn’t really looking for a “donate to the dev” thing here.

Sorry guv, wrong end of the stick.

For me personally, if it turns out how I expect it eventually will, it'll be worth a lot. 30 easy, 50 ok, 60 wait for a sale. Unrealistic pricing for gen pop of course, and I'd understand outrage if it gets pricey.

I have no idea what the price will be. I’m sure it will be reasonable. It will be worth a lot to me either way. I say $100 as a number I’d be comfortable with. I don’t expect anywhere near that. But I wouldn’t hesitate to pay it! 😆

• This is why we can’t have nice things.

• I voted for the 10-20 ($19.99) for the IAP and I already paid the initial $29.99 when it was released.

We'll have to wait and see when it drops and if I still 'need' it...
    ...current priority is to fund a new iPad at some point since my old iPad Air 2 is starting to show it's age and battery is degrading fast. A new iPad + a few $100 in dongles is not something I really need right now...

• It really depends on the quality of the audio track functionality. I’m not a huge fan of NS2 compared to CB3. But if NS2 had more functionality, like attack and release on audio to prevent popping, that would be huge.

• @AudioGus said:

This is why we can’t have nice things.

Okay, but those responses were pretty much in line with what other DAW's cost, or with a few other examples where DAW's or grooveboxes had later added audio tracks as an IAP. The one that immediately comes to mind was Gadget, and I don't recall exactly, but I think it cost in the $10 to $20 range.

I haven't used NS2, but from my experience with Gadget and other apps, it's fine to ask for audiotracks, but if the app wasn't designed to accommodate them in the first place, it's unlikely to be an ideal workflow if they are later added via IAP. In the case of Gadget, the issue was that the song structure was very much based around putting together blocks that were 1/2/4/8/16 bars in length. You could sort of rig it to work as a true audio track (by making a much larger block than you needed and then just "punching in" with some notes), but it wasn't ideal. It's never going to have the audio editing capabilities of a true DAW, so if you want that, it's worth questioning whether you should just be exporting sounds out from NS2 into something else, rather than buying an IAP to bring more sounds in.

• I'll vote when/if audio tracks are made available. Until then this is whistling into the dark.

• Not all People have Ressources unlimited.
    I paid 33€ when it came out and was promised an iap for audiotracks. I assumed about 6-12€

• Charging $100 for this would be beyond nuts. $20 the absolute realistic ceiling.

• From business point of view it's a very interesting excercise to find the sweet spot in pricing in order to maximize the revenue.
    100 people would pay $100 which is 10k? or 150 would pay $50 (7,5k)? or 1000 would pay $20 (20k)?

Having said that I know it's not necesseraly about the money but rather the enthusiasm maybe.

• @StormJH1 said:

@AudioGus said:

Okay, but those responses were pretty much in line with what other DAW's cost,

Exactly.

• edited September 2020

@kinkujin said:
    I'll vote when/if audio tracks are made available. Until then this is whistling into the dark.

...with no ability to record it... oh wait.... Slate.

• How well does Auria Pro handle tempo changes in sessions with lots of audio tracks? Even on the desktop this can cause glitches/CPU spikes. Are there any other iPadOS DAWs w/ tempo track (+ time sig track) + audio tracks?

Ps-I wish Akai or Intua would 'borrow' NS2s MIDI editor/grid/piano roll. It's damn good.

• @StormJH1 said:

@AudioGus said:

Okay, but those responses were pretty much in line with what other DAW's cost, or with a few other examples where DAW's or grooveboxes had later added audio tracks as an IAP. The one that immediately comes to mind was Gadget, and I don't recall exactly, but I think it cost in the $10 to $20 range.

I haven't used NS2, but from my experience with Gadget and other apps, it's fine to ask for audiotracks, but if the app wasn't designed to accommodate them in the first place, it's unlikely to be an ideal workflow if they are later added via IAP. In the case of Gadget, the issue was that the song structure was very much based around putting together blocks that were 1/2/4/8/16 bars in length. You could sort of rig it to work as a true audio track (by making a much larger block than you needed and then just "punching in" with some notes), but it wasn't ideal. It's never going to have the audio editing capabilities of a true DAW, so if you want that, it's worth questioning whether you should just be exporting sounds out from NS2 into something else, rather than buying an IAP to bring more sounds in.

Where did the idea that NS2 wasn’t designed for audio tracks come from? I have heard this idea presented before as if audio tracks in NS2 was merely an afterthought. It was planned as an IAP update to be made available after the initial release. I don’t know, but I’ll bet the foundation for it is already there and it’s probably another big chunk of code to complete the final product to the devs standards.

People are saying AUfx with automation is more important. I totally disagree. You can’t do anything in NS2 that requires audio tracks. But if it did have audio tracks you could export stems, run them through another app to add AUfx and re-import into NS2. That would make more sense to me. Add the capability for audio tracks and then go with AU automation etc. as the next step in development.

🤪🤪🤪

• @anickt said:

@StormJH1 said:

@AudioGus said:

Where did the idea that NS2 wasn’t designed for audio tracks come from? I have heard this idea presented before as if audio tracks in NS2 was merely an afterthought. It was planned as an IAP update to be made available after the initial release. I don’t know, but I’ll bet the foundation for it is already there and it’s probably another big chunk of code to complete the final product to the devs standards.

People are saying AUfx with automation is more important. I totally disagree. You can’t do anything in NS2 that requires audio tracks. But if it did have audio tracks you could export stems, run them through another app to add AUfx and re-import into NS2. That would make more sense to me. Add the capability for audio tracks and then go with AU automation etc. as the next step in development.

🤪🤪🤪

One could argue that you could create all of your midi with AUfx and everything in NS2 then add audio in elsewhere.

• @DukeWonder said:

@anickt said:

@StormJH1 said:

@AudioGus said:

🤪🤪🤪

One could argue that you could create all of your midi with AUfx and everything in NS2 then add audio in elsewhere.

I understand everyone works differently. After initial release the plan was audio tracks/universal. Audio tracks got sidetracked by all the AU stuff. I just wish audio had been implemented first. 😭😭😭

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

Sorry for the OT:

I use MultiTrack Recorder Plugin to get audio into NS2. It's not ideal. You can't record NS2 internal audio into it directly, and other than making dummy clips to indicate where the audio is, you can't see the audio on the timeline. It's also not without some bugs. But it's an OK enough workaround for compositional purposes for me.

I look forward to audio tracks when they come. I would pay up to $40 for them. That upper limit is based on what I can justify for this hobby of mine vs. other household expenses, not on what I feel they're worth, which is a lot more.

• edited September 2020

@wim
    You can't record NS2 internal audio into it directly

you mean external audio ? Because internal audio you can, just put it as insert effect and it records all audio which is coming into it on channel where it is inserted...

• @wim said:
    Sorry for the OT:

I use MultiTrack Recorder Plugin to get audio into NS2. It's not ideal. You can't record NS2 internal audio into it directly, and other than making dummy clips to indicate where the audio is, you can't see the audio on the timeline. It's also not without some bugs. But it's an OK enough workaround for compositional purposes for me.

I look forward to audio tracks when they come. I would pay up to $40 for them. That upper limit is based on what I can justify for this hobby of mine vs. other household expenses, not on what I feel they're worth, which is a lot more.

+1

Also, great for multitracking in AUM once you get used to syncing and unsyncing it from the host for playback or editing.

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

@dendy said:

@wim
    You can't record NS2 internal audio into it directly

you mean external audio ? Because internal audio you can, just put it as insert effect and it records all audio which is coming into it on channel where it is inserted...

oops, yes. I meant external audio.

for that you need to record in an instance outside of NS2 and then you can make use of the audio in NS2.

• @jolico said:

@wim said:
    Sorry for the OT:

+1

Also, great for multitracking in AUM once you get used to syncing and unsyncing it from the host for playback or editing.

Full disclosure: some people on the forum have found it unworkable due to bugs moving clips around and such. I've not been bothered by these, but caveat emptor ...

• How do DAWs with tempo change support handle the scenario where you record some clip at 100bpm and then move it to an area of the song that's set at 140bpm? Leave it as is? Time stretch?

• Some do time stretch, some leave it as it is. Usually configurable. I believe Ableton does it for you.

• McDMcD
    edited September 2020

@syrupcore said:
    How do DAWs with tempo change support handle the scenario where you record some clip at 100bpm and then move it to an area of the song that's set at 140bpm? Leave it as is? Time stretch?

@cian said:
    Some do time stretch, some leave it as it is. Usually configurable.

Is there an IOS DAW that does the time stretch magically or manually?
    Maybe NS2 audio is delayed so that it can provide this feature... what would you pay for that magic?

• Not to fuel wild speculation, but if that's the case, I wouldn't give up the tempo track for audio tracks. Could iOS memory management be an issue? I'm still curious how Auria Pro handles it. (Audio tracks and varying tempo).

• @Sequencer1 said:
    Not to fuel wild speculation, but if that's the case, I wouldn't give up the tempo track for audio tracks. Could iOS memory management be an issue? I'm still curious how Auria Pro handles it. (Audio tracks and varying tempo).

Zenbeats timestretches. With varying tempos I don’t recall if it’s automatic or you have to do it manually. Been too busy for ZB lately due to some recent hardware purchases and work. 😎👍🏼

This discussion has been closed.