Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apple Event September 2020

Comments

• the new standard is rebranded air3. with pricecut

• edited September 2020

new Air is amazing... USB-C, A14 (finally significsnt step forward in performance compared to A12/X/Z), all screen display - i'm in, this will be hard to resist...

@klownshed

What do they have in line for the next Pro?

i guess A14X cpu, maybe new display technology, for sure better cameras, more RAM, well seee.. but don't think it will be spring, my bets are autum 2021

To be honest I don’t really care about the headphone jack

This. It was invitable. End of jack era.

• @noob said:
    @Samu Zeeon and a few apps got bgs on beta14 tho..(no presets etc)

Not using Zeeon that much and I know the dev is on it and waiting for the final iPadOS14 to drop to check it...
    (Developers have not gotten the iPadOS14 GM yet which is kinda weird?!).

For me the 128GB iPad 8 WiFi is looking like a viable candidate for an update. It's 4995:- (SEK) here in Sweden.

• edited September 2020

yes def the new ipad8. will sell like butter @Samu wtf why do Apple not give developers the ios stuff before release?

• @noob said:
    yes def the new ipad8. will sell like butter @Samu wtf why do Apple not give developers the ios stuff before release?

Guess they are too scared of 'leaks' or something.
    When the iPad Air 4 ships later it'll likely come with iPadOS14.1 or something, same deal for the phones.

Hopefully the most stores are 'smart enough' to stock the 128GB version of the iPad 8 and skip the 32GB version...
    (This time I will check if I can stand the non-laminated screen which kinda put me off on the earlier models since I'm used to the iPad Air 2).

• edited September 2020

@chandroji said:

@Samu said:
    At last we'll get iPadOS14 tomorrow, that'll be fun :)

I’m still on IOS 12 with a 10.5 Pro second Generation
    Should I update today to IOS 13 before it disappear? 😎
    Any advice?

No, at least on my old Air2 iOS 13 started fine , but it lags after few updates .

Stick to iOS 12 until your favorite apps start to optimize the audio engine for multicore efficiency.

• Interesting. I think I ll send back the 2018 iPad pro 12.9 to take advantage of this A14 chip.

• edited September 2020

when is 14 non beta released? today?

• Tim Cook said that iOS 14 will be available tommorow

• 10.9 and 11 inch models :|
    Another difference between Pro and Air 4 is 4 vs 2 speakers apparently. Pro probably sounds better/fuller.
    They should’ve equipped the Pro’s with A14 today as well. Most people will go for Air 4 until they ‘upgrade’ the Pro’s.

• well...I want 12.9 " with the A14

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

@Korakios said:

@chandroji said:

@Samu said:

Any advice?

No, at least on my old Air2 iOS 13 started fine , but it lags after few updates .

Stick to iOS 12 until your favorite apps start to optimize the audio engine for multicore efficiency.

That will be a looonnnngggg time. Huge work for an existing app and little to gain from it in most cases.
    And it's not "multicore efficiency". It's multi-thread efficiency. There's a huge difference.

• @Samu said:

@chandroji said:

@Samu said:

Any advice?

I'd say go straight to iPadOS14, but that's me...
    (Currently I'm running iOS/iPadOS13.7 without any issues for my use cases).

That’s sounds promising, I’m gonna install on my Air2 and see how it goes on that first, I have sooooooo many apps, I have to see which ones will have issues with Os14. Have you come across any that won’t run at all or crashes on Os14?

• edited September 2020

@R_2 said:
    10.9 and 11 inch models :|
    Another difference between Pro and Air 4 is 4 vs 2 speakers apparently. Pro probably sounds better/fuller.
    They should’ve equipped the Pro’s with A14 today as well. Most people will go for Air 4 until they ‘upgrade’ the Pro’s.

If I’m not mistaken, I just saw the Air 4 with 4 speakers in the video.

Edit: I am mistaken! They just have the grill/holes where it “looks” like 4. But according to the spec sheet, yeah, there’s only 2 speakers.

• Air rules :) but I also don't understand that 10.9" in Air, I wonder why not 11"

• The Air 4 doesn't go higher than 256GB :/

My 10.5 has 512GB and I don't want to have less. Otherwise it's a hassle offloading samples etc...

• edited September 2020

My iPad Pro 10.5 is equipped with an A10x Chip and the new Air with an A14
    Looks like the Air have much more CPU power.

So would it a good idea to upgrade a old Pro to an new Air for Audio work? I’m still on the fence to upgrade my trusty Pro and I’m not sure I would buy a costly new Pro again...
    What do you think?

• edited September 2020

@Clueless said:
    I just hear subscriptions services.....turned off....

Same for me. Any subscribtion = deletion

• @chandroji said:
    My iPad Pro 10.5 is equipped with an A10x Chip and the new Air with an A14
    Looks like the Air have much more CPU power.

So would it a good idea to upgrade a old Pro to an new Air for Audio work?
    What do you think?

Turn on the “limit frame rate to 60hz” (or whatever it says in English) in the settings and see how you like it. I wouldn’t go back to 60hz personally, it’s so jittery until your eyes gets used to it and, it does impact the performance between the Pencil and the iPad. 4 speakers vs 2 speakers is another consideration (if those two speakers still placed in portrait mode, you’ll lose out on stereo sound in landscape mode). The one thing I absolutely don’t like with my 10.5” Pro is the short battery life, a thinner tablet isn’t always better. Chipset specs matters little when things gets throttled, when the battery can’t keep up, etc. I hope they improve that on the next Pro and the new iPad Air 4 for that matter.

• edited September 2020

agree on 120hz, cant turn back now. Regarding battery they obv improved that with the new a14 anything else would surprise me. Also new thermal design in the Air maybe? the air3 ran hot

• @ChrisG @noob

Thanks for your opinions! 🙏

• Serious question because I really enjoy my classic iTrack Dock by Focusrite. Do you guys think I could use a Lightning to USB-C adapter on the new Air???

• It’s a pity about the head phone jack.

• @NoiseHorse said:
    Serious question because I really enjoy my classic iTrack Dock by Focusrite. Do you guys think I could use a Lightning to USB-C adapter on the new Air???

Someone on Facebook was looking for an adapter like this. If you find one pls post it here. I couldn’t find one🤷🏻‍♂️

• edited September 2020

ebay ... generic china, 4$, could work (cointoss). had random success with generics so now only using Apples own stuff, worth it @NoiseHorse

• edited September 2020

@richardyot said:
    The Air 4 doesn't go higher than 256GB :/

My 10.5 has 512GB and I don't want to have less. Otherwise it's a hassle offloading samples etc...

my ipad... most of time i'm under 32, now i'm ove 40 just because i have downloaded some movies to watch :))

• @dendy said:

@richardyot said:
    The Air 4 doesn't go higher than 256GB :/

my ipad... most of time i'm under 32, now i'm ove 40 just because i have downloaded some movies to watch :))

Yeah I'm currently on 300+ GB of used space. Lots of apps, lots of samples and I also use my iPad for drawing as well as music. 🚚

• @dendy said:

I'm on a 64GB iPad Air 2 with about 6GB of free space at the moment.
    (I can easily clear out another 4GB by clearing out caches and stuff and offloading some of the bigger apps).

Tomorrow I will be going thru a load of apps that I've not launched in ages and see if they click, if not bye bye.
    I still have for example Epic Synth installed but it's since long been replaced by TAL UNO-LX so no need to keep it there anymore.

I'll take the plunge to iPadOS14 even though it's known to have some issues with AUv3 presets with a few apps.
    My life does not depend on my iPad Air 2 working 24/7 without problems so if some apps are messed then so be it.

I'll try not to be too vocal about things that do not work as it doesn't help the situation instead I'll forward the eventual crash-reports to the developers.

But yeah, 64GB would likely be enough for me as well since I'm not a big fan of multi gig sample-libraries.
    I mean my MacMini has a 256GB SSD drive and it doesn't feel too small since I don't horde apps on it...
    (The 256GB would be enough for a full LogicPro X install if apple wold eventually release it for the iPad).

Cheers!

• I might get the Air 4 sometime later down the line. Right now, I'm on my current gen mini. Headphone jack isn't all that important to me. I don't miss the wires yanking my headphones off of my head. :lol: Currently have 100gb space left on my 256gb model. Not too bad to be honest. :)

• edited September 2020

@Zaubrer said:
    What are the advantages of the Pro now? 120 Hz Screen? Face ID? Cameras?

Anything substantial.

Storage, RAM, 4 speakers and more than anything else, the 11” Pro is 0.1” bigger with widescreen than Air 10.9” !

I think they’ll axe 11” Pro and release 11.9” or more probably 12” next as a median size between 10.9” and 12.9”. My 11” Pro with 1 TB and 6 GB RAM is from 2018 costing 2 grand and I plan to use it at least until 2025 before upgrading to 12” (if it has widescreen which is my fav aspect) haha.

Not sure why it takes a large company like Apple 10 long years to figure out ideal sizes for tablets.

7.9” mini
    9.7” Air (axed)
    10.2” budget
    10.5” Pro (axed)
    10.9” Air
    11” Pro widescreen (to be axed)
    12” Pro (next up)
    12.9” Pro

The fragmentation is unbelievable and doesn’t look Apple-like who has a history of maintaining fewer products :neutral: