Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Patterning 2 and melodic control of 808-style kick

edited September 2020 in General App Discussion

Watching this, I started to understand the melodic use of a tuned kick drum:

What's the best way to melodically sequence kick drum pitches from Patterning v2? E.g., could I designate one of my Patterning drums to be a MIDI drum sending notes? I understand how to do that, I think, and how to constrain the note choice to a scale in Patterning. Now, what is the best drum synth app to point Patterning's MIDI output to play?

My idea is to use Patterning's own drum kits for everything but the melodic kick, but there may be a better way... Or is there a better app for what I'm aiming at?

Comments

• A few hours of research suggests...Ruismaker Noir, since it accepts pitches as MIDI notes rather than CCs. (A difference here from regular Ruismaker.) But any synth that can be patched for 808-style sounds would work too.

• edited September 2020

You don´t need anything else than Patterning itself. Taken from the manual p20:

Automation Layers
    In addition to velocity, a loop can sequence changes to instrument parameters like coarse tune or pan. Any recorded automation shows up here, and you can also draw in automation for each step in a loop.
    Almost all parameters of the instrument can be automated, along with parameter randomize amounts, MIDI CC messages, and trigger data like probability and ratcheting.

I only have Patterning 1, but this function was/is already present. And as the manual says, you can automate much more than just volume or pitch, these options bring a lot to making your drums much more complex and lively.