Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ask the Artist: @shinyisshiny

@shinyisshiny writes:

*Started off in various punk / grindcore bands as a teen and learned recording techniques through this

*got arrested a bunch and thrown in jail because i was a degenerate teen, parents told me to turn my life around and helped me find Los Angeles Recording School (LARS) where i continued my education in engineering and production

*Started an internship at a now defunct scoring stage called LA Sound Gallery, and ended up a paid engineer for a couple of years. Pretty much built the entire studio, and ended up engineering full orchestras for the Simspons, Family Guy, Lost etc.

*Joined a band called Lights Over Paris and did a couple US tours until the singer went to prison for Fraud -

https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-scammed-banks-11m-fund-rock-star-fantasy/story?id=21411341

worked with some insane people through this (People on Dr Lukes team, The Game etc...)

*Did the whole DJ thing for a bit, and traveled around playing shows either as myself, or with Dj Clinton Sparks

*Started working with a production house called Killingsworth, and have been producing for all of the drag queens from Rupaul's drag race for years now.

*Signed with PULSE Publishing as a sync artist and now thats my main focus. Producing stuff for film, TV, and Trailers etc.

*I also circuit bend a bunch of kids toys/ keyboards and build my own synths / circuits. Nothing crazy yet, but im getting there.

and i guess a final point is

got really into iOS production and it helped me to finally find my artist voice. Am currently developing my project and am for the first time creating music i am happy enough to release as my self. :smile:

Comments

• edited September 2020

Quite an amazing route!
    What, exactly, is a sync artist?

• @ExAsperis99 its making music with the purpose of getting it placed on film and tv. There are alot different ways to get stuff placed, and not every "sync artist" even knows they are a "sync artist" until they just wind up getting placed by music supervisors.

Its generally pretty watered down generic indie / pop/ dance/ hip hop as far advertising goes. There is a certain structure and sound that just works. However, placing stuff in trailers, or score of shows, you can be more experimental & creative with it. Lots of fun!

• Interesting backstory!

• @Gavinski i feel like a lot of us have some interesting story's...

• ABF Parental control 'on' :)

Bending circuit is something picked my interest lately. Can you recommend sources for new starters please? Do you have audio/video examples of your own bends?

• Do you have any good Danny Elfman stories? He's a hero of mine with his creative output.

• @0tolerance4silence There is a great book for beginners by the godfather of circuit bending, Reed Ghazala, but i believe its out of print. Here is the PDF though, which you can download :

http://zhagun.ru/Circuit_Bending_Build_Your_Own_Alien_Instruments.pdf

Here is a great forum :

https://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/forum/index.php

You can get your electronic components here :

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/

Overall, its pretty simple, just takes some patience and a heap of old toys / keyboards. It can be very overwhelming at first, but read the book, and it will all make sense. There is even a bunch of circuit examples at the end of the book. Check ebay etc for old keyboards / toys.

Ill post some soundclips in a bit!

• @McD unfortunately i did not get to work with Danny Elfman. He did the theme, but didnt score the show. I worked under a composer named Alf Clausen who score the show for 20 or so years. He, was ok, but a nightmare to work with, as he required Protools, TWO different types of tape machine, and ADAT machine ALL perfectly synced with each other during the recording process. Quite a headache.

• @shinyisshiny said:
    @McD unfortunately i did not get to work with Danny Elfman. He did the theme, but didnt score the show. I worked under a composer named Alf Clausen who score the show for 20 or so years. He, was ok, but a nightmare to work with, as he required Protools, TWO different types of tape machine, and ADAT machine ALL perfectly synced with each other during the recording process. Quite a headache.

Our complaints about MIDI clock sync'ing and other transport related issues must make you chuckle. What we can do with IOS apps is amazing considering the pain engineers endured during those years to convert to a digital world.

• @shinyisshiny what a life and story! What apps / workflow would you recommend for producing cinematic music? What limitations do you see on iOS for said music?

• @0tolerance4silence Heres my latest build :

Theres some info in the video description
    Ive been meaning to make more of these example videos, will post some more as they come

• That's great... what did you use to generate that infinite cascade style video?

• @McD Magic Music Visuals, its a great app! desktop only im afraid.

• @mjcouche sorry, i missed ur reply until now. I mainly do my trailer / cinematic stuff on desktop, using kontakt. Endless libraries, some of the best in the industry. As far as ios goes, i use iSymphonic orchestra, and Finger Fiddle.

• @shinyisshiny said:
    @mjcouche sorry, i missed ur reply until now. I mainly do my trailer / cinematic stuff on desktop, using kontakt. Endless libraries, some of the best in the industry. As far as ios goes, i use iSymphonic orchestra, and Finger Fiddle.

Thanks for replying!