Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Simple audio loop arranger with good browser and export to .wav - Suggestions please!

Heya,
Looking for app suggestions to arrange / join a few loops (say up to8) into one audio file and export to .wav or app. In my case I want to import one audio file to Segments that contains a few short loops joined, which I can then trigger in my DAW.

Usage example: Take a few different versions of a shaker or hi-hat loop. Join them together and render to one audio file. Import to Segments and trigger looped slices at different points during my song. One audio channel, multiple loops, one auv3 device, multiple loops.

Looking at the moment..

• Blocs wave for easy browsing and layering and editing of loops but no arrangement
  • Looperverse has arrangement but only import from files (ie no pre-listen)
  • Auditor plain audio editor that could be used for arrangement
  • Betmaker will do the job but overkill for my purposes but does have tagged browser and pre-listen etc

Any suggestiosn for doing this simply?

Comments

• @soundtemple said:
    Heya,
    Looking for app suggestions to arrange / join a few loops (say up to8) into one audio file and export to .wav or app. In my case I want to import one audio file to Segments that contains a few short loops joined, which I can then trigger in my DAW.

Usage example: Take a few different versions of a shaker or hi-hat loop. Join them together and render to one audio file. Import to Segments and trigger looped slices at different points during my song. One audio channel, multiple loops, one auv3 device, multiple loops.

Looking at the moment..

• Blocs wave for easy browsing and layering and editing of loops but no arrangement
    • Betmaker will do the job but overkill for my purposes but does have tagged browser and pre-listen etc

Auditor is probably the quickest for what you are trying to do.

• +1 for Auditor.

Twisted Wave is a bit less intimidating if BPM isn’t important.
    Multitrack DAW is a bit of a different approach, but good as well.
    Koala Sampler.

Those are my suggestions, pretty much in descending order.

• Thanks for the suggestions @wim @espiegel123 ... much appreciated. I’ve had my eye on Auditor. I’ll take another look at that and Koala is an interesting idea. Thanks

• If you have Audioshare then you could try and see if that works. Put the files in a folder, autoplay the folder and record the output, rinse and repeat.

• @soundtemple Although there are more powerful apps, I find the Blocs wave tagged file database very helpful. It's some work to import and tag files by key and bpm but that really makes a difference for using loops in a composition.
    Also, don't forget that Blocs wave projects can be exported to Launchpad, a very intuitive tool for arranging songs spontaneously.

• @rs2000 Yes, agree with you on Blocs Wave. Im more than happy with it for the tagged database, jamming and finding loops, slicing etc.

Using the BW slice mode you can effectively create a section mix of 4 one bar loops that are all different, so to that extent I can just use Blocs Wave and share to Segments and have one audio file with 4 loops. That may suffice in most cases.

Beyond that sending loops from BW into Looperverse for arranging does the job but the process for moving from BlocsWave to Looperverse seems a bit clunky. I can use the GeneralPasteboard to copy paste from BW to Audioshare, but Looperverse only uses AudioCopy it seems, so need to go via AudioShare.

• @soundtemple said:
    @rs2000 Yes, agree with you on Blocs Wave. Im more than happy with it for the tagged database, jamming and finding loops, slicing etc.

Using the BW slice mode you can effectively create a section mix of 4 one bar loops that are all different, so to that extent I can just use Blocs Wave and share to Segments and have one audio file with 4 loops. That may suffice in most cases.

Beyond that sending loops from BW into Looperverse for arranging does the job but the process for moving from BlocsWave to Looperverse seems a bit clunky. I can use the GeneralPasteboard to copy paste from BW to Audioshare, but Looperverse only uses AudioCopy it seems, so need to go via AudioShare.

Oh no, I was talking about this app:
    Launchpad: Make & Remix Music by Ampify Music
    https://apps.apple.com/en/app/launchpad-make-remix-music/id584362474?l=en

• @soundtemple said:
    Heya,

Looking at the moment..

GarageBand , just copy paste and solo the track you want to export to AudioShare

• @hisdudeness Kind of didnt want to go to something as large as GB for such a small purpose. How is GarageBand for browsing your library of wav loops (not apple loops)?

@rs2000 ah yeah but with Launchpad you can jam but not arrange, right? I want to join a few loops together (not layer) and export to one file.

• edited September 2020

@soundtemple said:
    @hisdudeness Kind of didnt want to go to something as large as GB for such a small purpose. How is GarageBand for browsing your library of wav loops (not apple loops)?

@rs2000 ah yeah but with Launchpad you can jam but not arrange, right? I want to join a few loops together (not layer) and export to one file.

It’s GarageBand, they don’t make anything easy
    You have to export one track at time (Without resorting to some trickery)

But as workaround , both files app and AudioShare have slide over feature , so you can easily copy paste

• @soundtemple I've just seen that you're right, Ampify don't even support MIDI in their apps! 😱

From their support page:

To get the best out of using MIDI hardware to control Ampify apps, we recommend using Novation Hardware; instrument and effect parameters within Groovebox and the Launchpad app are not supported with other MIDI controllers. Currently there is no way to manually map MIDI to a hardware controller in our apps.

• I use Zenbeats or Cubasis for arranging and merging clips.

• @soundtemple said:
    @hisdudeness Kind of didnt want to go to something as large as GB for such a small purpose. How is GarageBand for browsing your library of wav loops (not apple loops)?

Beatmaker 3 does work: Export "Project Files" from Blocs Wave as AAC or WAV (both work), open the zip in Beatmaker 3 and drag them from the Imports folder to the timeline.
    Adjust the project tempo to the same tempo as in Blocs Wave.

• @soundtemple said:

In Auditor, it will take next to no time to import your loops, put them in your preferred order and then export as a single file with or without markers at the slice points. You can even export in Apple Loop format which has embedded slice markers. Not sure if segments reads such markers or not (BM3 and BeatHawk do).

• @espiegel123 yeah I think Auditor is a good option just looks a bit complex to use. Might get it anyway. I'm sure an audio editor wont go unused.
    @rs2000 yeah I could use BM3 as a library for all my loops and arrange and export.
    Looperverse... simple audio loop arrangement...

• @soundtemple I see! Bummer that Looperverse won't open zip files.

• edited September 2020

Actually, my go-to editor for cutting, merging and arranging audio snippets on more than one track is Audio Evolution Mobile. I own Auditor too but for this kind of job, at least if it involves multiple tracks, I think AEM is less restrictive.

Markers are another story. I only remember BM3 to support their creation...

• Would be great if @Gavinski did a video on Auditor. It's intimidating looking but actually pretty easy to use once you grok it.

• I’d love to @lukesleepwalker except that I haven’t properly figured out how to use it myself yet 😂😂

• @soundtemple said:
    @espiegel123 yeah I think Auditor is a good option just looks a bit complex to use. Might get it anyway. I'm sure an audio editor wont go unused.
    @rs2000 yeah I could use BM3 as a library for all my loops and arrange and export.
    Looperverse... simple audio loop arrangement...

Auditor isn't complex. Particularly for the use case of bring in multiple loops and arranging them in series and exporting as a single file (with or without markers between loop sections).

• @Gavinski said:
    I’d love to @lukesleepwalker except that I haven’t properly figured out how to use it myself yet 😂😂

Hahaha, fair enough. I think @espiegel123 is correct, though. For simple things like creating a sample with markers and exporting, video could be pretty straightforward? Easy for me to say!

• I see that it is a powerful tool, but it just hasn’t been on my list of priorities as I work so rarely with loops etc at the moment and have so many other apps I still need to learn use semi-properly, never mind the barrage of constant new stuff haha. Thing is, I know when I do learn how to use it, it’ll open up my workflow (aka “farting about” flow lol), in new directions.

• @Gavinski said:
    I see that it is a powerful tool, but it just hasn’t been on my list of priorities as I work so rarely with loops etc at the moment and have so many other apps I still need to learn use semi-properly, never mind the barrage of constant new stuff haha. Thing is, I know when I do learn how to use it, it’ll open up my workflow (aka “farting about” flow lol), in new directions.

All in good time, my friend. Your videos are great; I"m a big fan.

• @lukesleepwalker @soundtemple

Quick demo of exporting separate loops as a file. A couple of extra steps not shown will export with slice markers.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @lukesleepwalker @soundtemple

Quick demo of exporting separate loops as a file. A couple of extra steps not shown will export with slice markers.

Good one! Thanks for making that.

• @rs2000 you can share from BlocsWave to Looperverse via AudioShare. It's just a couple of steps. Never heard of Audio Evolution Mobile. Will take a look,

@espiegel123 Thanks for the video ... very helpful!! I like the ripple edit effect!! Is there an option in the ruler to set a tempo and display time in bars instead of seconds? You like tabla? I have a thing for tabla... cant play at all ... even though i do have a set ...hence the loops of which I have loads!)

@Gavinski Came across you Youtube channel recently. Good stuff.

• @soundtemple said:
    @rs2000 you can share from BlocsWave to Looperverse via AudioShare. It's just a couple of steps. Never heard of Audio Evolution Mobile. Will take a look,

@espiegel123 Thanks for the video ... very helpful!! I like the ripple edit effect!! Is there an option in the ruler to set a tempo and display time in bars instead of seconds? You like tabla? I have a thing for tabla... cant play at all ... even though i do have a set ...hence the loops of which I have loads!)

@Gavinski Came across you Youtube channel recently. Good stuff.

Yes, Auditor’s time line can be tempo-based and can calculate tempo from a selection

• @espiegel123 Good demo, thanks. Really helpful.