Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Pros and cons of different guitar to MIDI solutions (iOS Midi Guitar 2, Fishman Triple Play...)?

2»

Comments

• edited September 2020

Any idea if midi guitar 2 would work with banjo? Or, like.... a trumpet??

• If you are still needing to keep
    the acoustic sound of your guitar
    and also have synth sounds?
    Why not try Roxsyn?
    It tracks very well.

I still have the original Roland GR-1.
    I had attached the pick up using
    velcro as I didn’t want to ruin the finish of my guitar.
    I spent ages tweaking it
    I ended up leaving it in a corner
    until recently when I realised
    that I could use it for program changes and looping apps.

• @Gravitas said:
    If you are still needing to keep
    Why not try Roxsyn?
    It tracks very well.

I spent ages tweaking it

RoxSyn has some cool sounds but it isn’t a synth and , in my opinion, doesn’t really work as a synth replacement.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gravitas said:
    Why not try Roxsyn?
    It tracks very well.

I spent ages tweaking it

RoxSyn has some cool sounds but it isn’t a synth and , in my opinion, doesn’t really work as a synth replacement.

I have yet to find said "cool sounds". Although to be fair, Yonac may be the worst when it comes to presets--and I haven't spent the time tweaking my own.

• edited September 2020

@lukesleepwalker said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Gravitas said:
    Why not try Roxsyn?
    It tracks very well.

I spent ages tweaking it

I have yet to find said "cool sounds". Although to be fair, Yonac may be the worst when it comes to presets--and I haven't spent the time tweaking my own.

The presets are awful but there are indeed a lot of cool sounds in roxsyn.

I like to treat it as pitch shift with arp + filter + FX rather than a "synth" which it really sucks at due to the way it triggers the envelopes. Looking beyond that it's kind of an accidental pitchfactor app.

• edited September 2020

Thanks for mentioning RoxSyn as an alternative way of accomplishing nice synth sounds from a guitar, @Gravitas.

@sclurbs You should be able to try this out simply by downloading the MG2 demo app. Would be interesting to know.

• edited September 2020

@josh83 said:
    Thanks for mentioning RoxSyn as an alternative way of accomplishing nice synth sounds from a guitar, @Gravitas.

@sclurbs You should be able to try this out simply by downloading the MG2 demo app. Would be interesting to know.

Didn't realize this had a free demo when I made that comment. I tried it out with my trumpet and it seems to work perfectly. It's like a live version of Ableton's audio to midi feature. "guitar" seems like a misnomer in this context. Very cool..... not sure if I have 50 bucks for it tho...

• edited September 2020

Hey guys

I meanwhile got both an electric guitar and the Triple Play Connect from Fishman (I can send it back if I don't like it). First disappointment: my acoustic guitar does not have a "high" enough bridge to install the Triple Play. :frowning: I could meanwhile attach it using some tape though. I think I will return it anyway (I don't want to change my guitar for it), but before that I will conduct some thorough comparisons between it and MidiGuitar on both my acoustic and the electric guitar.

My first impression is that it tracks pretty well, but still it has some severe, inexcusable flaws, sometimes even when playing very precisely.

Might take a while until I can give a "final" verdict, as I need to practice a bit first to get a feeling for playing as clean as needed/possible. I'll check back in a few weeks. :smile:

• @josh83 said:
    Hey guys

I meanwhile got both an electric guitar and the Triple Play Connect from Fishman (I can send it back if I don't like it). First disappointment: my acoustic guitar does not have a "high" enough bridge to install the Triple Play. :frowning: I could meanwhile attach it using some tape though. I think I will return it anyway (I don't want to change my guitar for it), but before that I will conduct some thorough comparisons between it and MidiGuitar on both my acoustic and the electric guitar.

My first impression is that it tracks pretty well, but still it has some severe, inexcusable flaws, sometimes even when playing very precisely.

Might take a while until I can give a "final" verdict, as I need to practice a bit first to get a feeling for playing as clean as needed/possible. I'll check back in a few weeks. :smile:

You might need to spend more time getting the Fishman set up. Quite a few demanding musicians use them. Are the mis-firings during single note playing? Chords? Strumming ?

• A couple of years later… is Midi Guitar 2 still the only guitar to midi AUV3 app available?.

• edited September 2023

• @tahiche said:
    A couple of years later… is Midi Guitar 2 still the only guitar to midi AUV3 app available?.

MIDImorphosis has been in version 2 for a few months.
    Don't have it, so can't tell you more about it. Could be what you are looking for?

https://midimorphosis.com/

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/53693/midimorphosis-2-open-beta/p1

• @ZankFrappa said:

@tahiche said:
    A couple of years later… is Midi Guitar 2 still the only guitar to midi AUV3 app available?.

MIDImorphosis has been in version 2 for a few months.
    Don't have it, so can't tell you more about it. Could be what you are looking for?

https://midimorphosis.com/

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/53693/midimorphosis-2-open-beta/p1

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately there’s not too much info and the videos are not very helpful. There’s no “real” examples of how well it tracks, if it’s polyphonic…
    So I gave in and purchased the whole Midi2guitar IAPs. They’re not cheap (30€ for the whole thing to run as auv3) but this is a perfect example of how letting you test an app (you can use all functions on the demo but the sound cuts out every few minutes) is a great way of gaining costumers.
    There’s also JamSynth which I quite like and I believe it was free. But it’s not auv3. I think it’s more convenient as auv3 as you can save the state with the host. My intention is to use it with Loopy and see how it goes.

• My understanding is that MIDImorphosis’ big selling point is tablature entry. It’s dev isn’t trying to best MG’s tracking:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/1154906/#Comment_1154906

MG2’s tracking is pretty phenomenal given its price and convenience. Imo, it is pretty inexpensive given the next best alternative is hardware that costs a lot more.

• MG3 is in beta now.

Leif shows off the 2-octave pitchbend range in this video

As for new hardware, Boss just released a GK5 pickup system that transmits over a digital TRS cable, as well as a new GM-800 sound module that replaces the GR-55.

• I’ll just mention that if you’re interested in getting synth-like sounds from a guitar, then I suggest trying the Roland/Boss VG stuff that takes the outputs from a hex pickup and does processing on them to make synth-like (or other instruments sounds) rather than doing pitch detection to drive a synth. Almost zero latency and all guitar techniques translate.

But it can’t give you MIDI to record or drive other virtual instruments. And it isn’t going to give you all the sounds you can access through MIDI. Although most of the gear containing the tech can also do pitch-to-MIDI. The big downside is that it has almost always been kept in high-end products that don’t let you get in inexpensively. And when they have produced lower-end products, there’s been no good upgrade path.

But a used VG-8 can be a less expensive way to try it.

That said, if you specifically want pitch-to-MIDI, then ignore me.

• edited September 2023

@fisherro said:
    I’ll just mention that if you’re interested in getting synth-like sounds from a guitar, then I suggest trying the Roland/Boss VG stuff that takes the outputs from a hex pickup and does processing on them to make synth-like (or other instruments sounds) rather than doing pitch detection to drive a synth. Almost zero latency and all guitar techniques translate.
    [...]
    That said, if you specifically want pitch-to-MIDI, then ignore me.

on ios/mac there is PD Space Guitar by Paul Driessen which offers the same advantages: great tracking, even for chords. but also not pitch-to-MIDI. Paul just announced a new release with demo here: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8755521

• @mojozart said:
    MG3 is in beta now.

• Just a quick chime in to say, for me, on the desktop, I’ve had much better results with the Fishman triple play connect than with Midi guitar 2.
    I have not spent any time with the TPC on the iPad yet - but plan to.
    I found that with the TPC sustain length was much better and there were much fewer teeny stray notes to have to edit out of midi clips, even with a lot of technique adjustments, compared to Midi Guitar 2. I still plan on seeing if Midi Guitar 3 is a good solution.

• edited January 25

From the discussion of the video above:

Q: "Hell, man! I just purchased midi guitar 2 last week, and am blown away by it! But these newer features, especially the polyphonic glide is a total game changer! What's the deal with jam origins on upgrades?"

A: "If you are asking about the price/deal for the upgrade from MIDI Guitar 2 to MIDI Guitar 3, it is free for any existing license holder. If you have purchased the full version of MG2 at some point, you will get MG3 for free. That is the JamOrigin deal! Pretty good, I would say."

Q: "Does it improve accuracy when playing chords? Thanks!"
    A: "Oh, Yes!"