Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Box Of Things - Richard Yot and JanKun collab

edited September 19 in Creations

Hi everyone !

Few months back, I was lucky enough to receive a beautiful text written by @richardyot
I composed the music, sang the lyrics and made the arrangements on my iPad.
Too many apps were used to even remember. But one life saver has been Midi Guitar. Amazing app for guitar players to play keys without the hassle of learning a new instrument or spend hours on a Midi editor. Thanks @McD for the tip! Thank you @Gavinski for the guidance !
Loss and mourning are not an easy topic. I know that some people on the forum lost someone close recently. I especially have a thought for Richard and @echoopera .
Thank you for your ears!
Love

Listen to Box Of Things by JanKun on #SoundCloud

EDIT: I mistakenly posted in general app discussion. Does anyone know if it is possible to move a post into a different category?

EDIT2: I suppose I should thank @Michael for moving the thread to the right category. Once again, sorry for the mistake

«1

Comments

  • It's great to to hear my words come to life in this manner @JanKun - thanks for posting. I was never able to do these words justice so it's great to hear them performed by someone who could.

    My version of the lyrics is in the spoiler, although JanKun tweaked them a little (maybe you can post the final version?)

    Your books still there
    A strand of hair
    A box of things
    Our wedding rings

    The cup you cracked
    The coat you patched
    Your photographs
    In frames of glass

    But you're not there
    You're not in the bed that we shared
    You're not there
    I'm staring at your empty chair

    The house so hushed
    A film of dust
    Your post piles up
    Wish it would stop

    Your life summed up:
    A box of stuff
    And all that's left
    Is what I've kept

    I'm walking alone up the stairs
    Your desk is locked
    The key is lost
    I sleep in a bed that is bare

  • This is a great accompaniment to a rainy Thursday morning. I'm getting a Radiohead meets Nick Drake vibe. Takes a cool twist around 4:00. Nice work both of you.

  • Nice, like it a lot.
    I'm getting UNKLE vibe... the type of song I wish would never end...

  • edited September 10

    I am not sure I did justice to your words. The only thing I can say is that they had such huge impact on me the first time I read them that the melody came to me instantly. Here you are, the lyrics I tweaked:

    Your books still there
    A strand of hair
    A box of things
    Our wedding rings

    The cup you cracked
    The coat you patched
    Your photographs
    In frames of glass

    CHORUS:
    But you're not there
    Not in the bed we used to share
    I'm staring at your empty chair
    And shadows of you

    The house so hushed
    A film of dust
    Your post piles up
    Wish it would stop

    Your life summed up:
    A box of stuff
    And all that's left
    Is what I've kept

    CHORUS (x2)

    ...(Heaven sent and taken back)...
    I think I heard you stepping on the wooden floor
    ...your shadows...

    ...(Heaven sent and taken back)...
    I think I saw you walking through the kitchen door
    ...your shadows...

    ...(Heaven sent and taken back)...
    If only I could hold you now
    ...your shadows...

    CHORUS (x2)

  • @ecamburn said:
    This is a great accompaniment to a rainy Thursday morning. I'm getting a Radiohead meets Nick Drake vibe. Takes a cool twist around 4:00. Nice work both of you.

    Two major influences here. I cannot talk for @richardyot, but you made my day with such a compliment !

  • edited September 10

    @0tolerance4silence said:
    Nice, like it a lot.
    I'm getting UNKLE vibe... the type of song I wish would never end...

    OMG ! Radiohead, Nick Drake and now UNKLE !!! Psyence Fiction is such a master piece !

    I thought that a 5:30 song would end up so boring . Glad you listened until the end !

  • Excellent Excellent, all aspects. Glad the chorus was created.

  • @LinearLineman said:
    Excellent Excellent, all aspects. Glad the chorus was created.

    Hi Mike! I am glad you like it. Still a lot of room for improvement. Especially the singing which is still my weak point. Thanks to @McD recommendations I found on the forum, I started to use an app that enables me to play pianos and EP sounds with my guitar. In terms of arrangements, It is like a whole new world just opened in front of my eyes !

  • @JanKun said:

    @0tolerance4silence said:
    Nice, like it a lot.
    I'm getting UNKLE vibe... the type of song I wish would never end...

    OMG ! Radiohead, Nick Drake and now UNKLE !!! Psyence Fiction is such a master piece !

    I thought that a 5:30 song would end up so boring . Glad you listened until the end !

    Love it, these 3 are all huge reference points for me musically too. Thanks for thanking me for the guidance, JanKun but I haven't ever mentioned anything about midi guitar, I think, so wasn't sure what you were referring to. 😋

    Great collab guys, to me it is easily the most successful iteration of an indie song with vocals I've heard on this forum so far, and one of the best things I've heard here full stop.

  • @JanKun, your voice is your strong point . Everyone knows but you.

  • @richardyot really superb lyrics too. I'm sorry for your loss, brother, if these have an autobiographical origin, these are very moving indeed.

  • @Gavinski said:

    Love it, these 3 are all huge reference points for me musically too. Thanks for thanking me for the guidance, JanKun but I haven't ever mentioned anything about midi guitar, I think, so wasn't sure what you were referring to. 😋

    Great collab guys, to me it is easily the most successful iteration of an indie song with vocals I've heard on this forum so far, and one of the best things I've heard here full stop.

    Composing the music from the lyrics has been pretty quick (couple of hours). On the other hand, the arrangements took a long time to complete (several months). Lots of experimentations which didn't make the cut. Strangely enough, everytime I was stuck at some point, some of your tutorials came out and I purchased the apps which eventually inspired me and helped to move forward. To be more specific your tutorials about k_devices WOV et TTAP, Eventide Shimmerverb, Saturn 2 (which I would have bought anyway), sEGments and of course Classic FX for which you kindly offered me a free code. This is what I call guidance 😊. Thank you for your hard work !

  • Great to hear I contributed in some small way, I always enjoy your thoughtful comments on the channel Jan, I’m not surprised to see you are also a thoughtful and sensitive musician.

  • Nice track.
    It sounds a litlle bit like Archive.
    Nicely done.
    Flo

  • @Gavinski said:
    @richardyot really superb lyrics too. I'm sorry for your loss, brother, if these have an autobiographical origin, these are very moving indeed.

    Thanks. The song (luckily) wasn't autobiographical, I just pictured myself in that situation, then I got thinking that there isn't much left of us once we're gone, but those little reminders are probably the most poignant. The bookmark in the unfinished book.

  • Really well done @richardyot

  • @LinearLineman said:
    @JanKun, your voice is your strong point . Everyone knows but you.

    Thank you Mike ! I wish I could plug a mic and press record and get a vocal done in one or two takes the way you do with your playing. Unfortunately, I don't see this happen anytime soon 😅

  • This is a magical track... imagine walking into a bar and hearing a solo guitar act deliver a performance like this with an iPad as the only hardware before the PA other than the vocal mic of course.

    MIDi Guitar 2 is truly mind boggling for guitarists and many know it's power:

    https://jamosapien.com/

  • @flo26 said:
    Nice track.
    It sounds a litlle bit like Archive.
    Nicely done.
    Flo

    Merci pour l'écoute, Flo !
    Oui, Archive c'est possible, je les ai beaucoup écoutés à une période de ma vie !
    Si jamais tu cherches des collaborateurs n'hésite surtout pas ! 😉

  • @JanKun said:
    Merci pour l'écoute, Flo !
    Oui, Archive c'est possible, je les ai beaucoup écoutés à une période de ma vie !
    Si jamais tu cherches des collaborateurs n'hésite surtout pas ! 😉

    Google suggests this rendering en Anglais:

    Thanks for listening, Flo!
    Yes, Archive is possible, I have listened to them a lot at one point in my life!
    If you are ever looking for collaborators, do not hesitate

    "Vous lez vous Collaboratuer, avec moi" - Lady Marmalade

  • @McD said:
    This is a magical track... imagine walking into a bar and hearing a solo guitar act deliver a performance like this with an iPad as the only hardware before the PA other than the vocal mic of course.

    MIDi Guitar 2 is truly mind boggling for guitarists and many know it's power:

    https://jamosapien.com/

    A few months back, you were really insisting on how good Midi Guitar 2 had become. I must admit that I was a bit skeptical at first because of previous bad experience with the first iteration of the app. And also because I am a MIDI noob ! During the arrangement of this song, I came to a point where I was hearing complex keys parts impossible for me to play on a keyboard.
    That's when I started to have second thoughts about Midi Guitar 2 and gave it a try. I am so happy I did. It is obviously still not perfect but good enough to open huge range of possibilities to any guitar player. Especially if you think how iOS musicians have been spoiled with amazing synths, pianos and EP. Such a pleasure to control these with your guitar.
    The IAP are not the cheapest in the iOS world, but the two first are totally worth it, absolutely no regrets. Now, TBH, I still don't see the point for the AUv3 host IAP. But maybe you will try to convince me?

    Thank you for the link! This will help me tame the beast ! And once again thank you ! This app will save me lots of time from now on! Less technical limitations, more playing and fun!

  • @JanKun said:
    Now, TBH, I still don't see the point for the AUv3 host IAP. But maybe you will try to convince me?

    I think it would be handy in a live situation to use MIDI Guitar as the Host and have a unified GUI.
    You can make MG2 function in another DAW or have it forward MIDI into AUM but who wants to flip screens on the iPad at a gig? I have not gigged with MG2 or any iPad software but I suspect that's the
    benefit. The MG2 forum could help answer the question of the best live uses for a guitarist.

  • @McD said:

    @JanKun said:
    Now, TBH, I still don't see the point for the AUv3 host IAP. But maybe you will try to convince me?

    I think it would be handy in a live situation to use MIDI Guitar as the Host and have a unified GUI.
    You can make MG2 function in another DAW or have it forward MIDI into AUM but who wants to flip screens on the iPad at a gig? I have not gigged with MG2 or any iPad software but I suspect that's the
    benefit. The MG2 forum could help answer the question of the best live uses for a guitarist.

    It makes perfect sense !

  • @McD said:

    @JanKun said:
    Merci pour l'écoute, Flo !
    Oui, Archive c'est possible, je les ai beaucoup écoutés à une période de ma vie !
    Si jamais tu cherches des collaborateurs n'hésite surtout pas ! 😉

    Google suggests this rendering en Anglais:

    Thanks for listening, Flo!
    Yes, Archive is possible, I have listened to them a lot at one point in my life!
    If you are ever looking for collaborators, do not hesitate

    "Vous lez vous Collaboratuer, avec moi" - Lady Marmalade

    "Parlez vous le français ?"

  • @JanKun said:
    "Parlez vous le français ?"

    Non. I can follow some simple written French and pronounce phrases with some facility.
    But I translate via Google. 2 years in high school for the foreign language requirements
    50 years ago.

  • @McD said:

    @JanKun said:
    "Parlez vous le français ?"

    Non. I can follow some simple written French and pronounce phrases with some facility.
    But I translate via Google. 2 years in high school for the foreign language requirements
    50 years ago.

    Forget about Google !
    This thing is way more accurate
    https://www.deepl.com/en/translator

  • @JanKun said:
    Forget about Google !

    I try... but they just keep pulling me back. "Deep State of Mind Control".

    This thing is way more accurate
    https://www.deepl.com/en/translator

    It offers a Mac download... maybe I will be able to read "Le Monde" for some real news.

  • @McD said:

    @JanKun said:
    Forget about Google !

    I try... but they just keep pulling me back. "Deep State of Mind Control".

    This thing is way more accurate
    https://www.deepl.com/en/translator

    It offers a Mac download... maybe I will be able to read "Le Monde" for some real news.

    Real news ? Dans quel monde 😉 ?

  • Wow! This is special. I really like this! I'd love to hear a whole album of something like this.

    One thing I'd say, and this might just me because lyrics are usually difficult for me, but I had a hard time hearing the words within your vocals at times. A little too lost in effects at time? I referenced this mix to your song Blue Sky On Hurricanes and found Blue Sky a lot easier to understand the words. Perhaps if you parallel processed the vocals with a dry track over the track you have now, the words might pop out more without sacrificing the overall timbre of the vocals?

Sign In or Register to comment.