Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[topic removed]

Comments

• Just read that he lowered permanently the price of his apps and that he does introductory price. I love this wrapped units. My support for Jens👍

• Wasn’t this initially supposed to be a suite of effects? Would probably make more sense. Call it WU: Bread ‘n Butter.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    Wasn’t this initially supposed to be a suite of effects? Would probably make more sense. Call it WU: Bread ‘n Butter.

I also thought this reading on his site.

I have a bad felling for the other tons of apps he has in beta, if he sells them separately I hope in a fair price😜

• Whew, wu keep coming with the wooo!

• @Charlesalbert said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:
    Wasn’t this initially supposed to be a suite of effects? Would probably make more sense. Call it WU: Bread ‘n Butter.

I also thought this reading on his site.

I have a bad felling for the other tons of apps he has in beta, if he sells them separately I hope in a fair price😜

He writes this on his site:

However, we may keep the introductory sales concept (early adopters) for new products. Our lates product series concept will provide App Store collections in the future.

As I read it, it means that there will be bundles with the new series.

• This I will get since it’s my all time favourite AppleAUv3!
    Use it all the time in TwistedWave and on the Mac too...
    ...the Mac AU version has a nice signal level graph which makes it a blast to use.
    (Makes it easy to visually see the input & output levels).

The combined gate/downward expander and compressor makes it a very handy tool.
    The compression ratio is set be defining by how much the level is allowed to go above the threshold instead of the regular compression ratio setting.

Cheers!

• This plug-in needs numerical input, no need to set db levles with 6+ decimals like seriously!?
    I really do hope Apple adds their own UI for the built-in AUv3s...

• I think that I have to read the manual. Can’t even understand how it works😂😂😂

• edited September 2020

@Charlesalbert said:
    I think that I have to read the manual. Can’t even understand how it works😂😂😂

It's actually pretty simple...

Compression Threshold sets the level which the signal has to pass before compression is applied.
    Headroom sets by how much the level is allowed to go above the Compression Threshold
    (ie. the compression ratio is auto calculated).

Expansion Threshold sets the 'lowest' desired signal level.
    Expansion Ratio decides how much the singnal below the Expansion Threshold is reduced.
    (If the expansion ratio is set to max everything below the Expansion Threshold is almost zeroed out).

For example setting Expansion Threshold to -60 and Expansion Ratio to 50 makes it pretty sure that everything below -60db is 'silenced'. (ie. good way to remove background hiss when there is no input).

The times can be adjusted to taste... (use the ears and listen how they affect the sound).

Master Gain can be used to 'Trim' the signal to desired output level.
    (For example if Compression Threshold is set to -30 and headroom to 10 it's pretty safe to boost the audio with 15db or more without fear of clipping as long as the attach and release times are fairly short).

The Apple AUv3 has very nice level meters for this which are missing on iOS making it a bit more tricky to set the levels based on visual feedback.

If I'm not mistaken the levels are based on RMS rather than Peak metering so if the recording 'peaks' at -12 or so it's a safe vet to set the compression ration to -20 or lower.

Sorry for nerding out but it's a pretty straight forward thing to use in practice by using the ears.

Cheers!

• edited September 2020

@samu The 3 sliders after Master Gain are frozen. Comp Amount , Input Amp, Output Amp They do not move . Have you got same issue? I managed to use the dials in Bm3/ Show AU Knobs the sliders moved but not affecting the sound

• @stormbeats said:
    @samu The 3 sliders after Master Gain are frozen. Comp Amount , Input Amp, Output Amp They do not move . Have you got same issue? I managed to use the dials in Bm3/ Show AU Knobs the sliders moved but not affecting the sound

Those are not even part of the AUDynamics Processors parameters :)
    The AUDynamics Processor has 7 parameters...

Compression Threshold
    Headroom
    Expansion Threshold
    Expansion Ratio
    Attack Time
    Release Time
    Master Gain
    (All these work in the Plug-In).

Here's a Screenshot of the Mac version of AUDynamicsProcessor.

Honestly this Plug-In 'wrapper' feel very 'half-baked' and without any kind of proper Q&A or testing being done on them...

Can't help it but I do NOT agree with this developers 'vision' of how a touch interface should be implemented...

Cheers!

• @Samu said:

@stormbeats said:

Those are not even part of the AUDynamics Processors parameters :)
    The AUDynamics Processor has 7 parameters...

Compression Threshold
    Headroom
    Expansion Threshold
    Expansion Ratio
    Attack Time
    Release Time
    Master Gain
    (All these work in the Plug-In).

Here's a Screenshot of the Mac version of AUDynamicsProcessor.

Honestly this Plug-In 'wrapper' feel very 'half-baked' and without any kind of proper Q&A or testing being done on them...

Can't help it but I do NOT agree with this developers 'vision' of how a touch interface should be implemented...

Cheers!

@Samu cool . I just got the peak limiter. Sounds very good but there is no output gain after limiting If I recall though same with the original Apple AU’s. I been missing these AU’s there were few more I liked back in the day.

• @stormbeats said:

@Samu cool . I just got the peak limiter. Sounds very good but there is no output gain after limiting If I recall though same with the original Apple AU’s. I been missing these AU’s there were few more I liked back in the day.

Yeah the peak limiter goes to 0db(TPD) so it will never 'clip'.

This is the UI for it on the Mac...

The 'UI Design' this developer is using for his apps makes these apps totally unusable on the iPhone 8...
    I've learned it the hard way by now NOT to buy any more apps from this developer unless they get a major design overhaul for focus on usability! (In short these apps are the worst or best examples of how to NOT design an app UI!).

And I really do hope Apple adds the UIs for the AUv3's built-in inro iOS/iPadOS...
    ...these 'wrapper apps' make me just frustrated and super annoyed.

Ok, end of rant, I guess some users love the UIs but I'm not one of them...

Cheers!

• agree with @Samu on the gui, but for the price its great for new pad people to try

• The UIs on all his plugins are pretty half-baked unfortunately.

• @samu why not good for i8. I pinch zoomed out on my i7. Or is it more the UI design. I think he done best he can by wrapping the original old school Apple AU’s . Not a re design but “wrapper”. They sound very good :)

• @cian said:
    The UIs on all his plugins are pretty half-baked unfortunately.

+1 that is the main problem since the start.

• @stormbeats said:
    @samu why not good for i8. I pinch zoomed out on my i7. Or is it more the UI design. I think he done best he can by wrapping the original old school Apple AU’s . Not a re design but “wrapper”. They sound very good :)

I've been using the Apple AUv3's in GarageBand a long time and they do sound good.
    Regarding the UI, they just need 'basic sliders' with a value display that's it.

Here's the 'GarageBand' UI for AUDynamicsProcessor...

How hard can it be to scr*w up a simple design like that?! Oh ask the wrapper developer... :D

End of rant, I'll stick to GarageBand and TwistedWave for the Apple AUv3's for now...

• edited September 2020

I think the problem is that while many users see it as half-baked, he seems to be convinced that it's some kind of next gen genius, that the world hasn't grown up to.

• I’m with you @Samu - I find this developer’s GUIs really challenging to use. If there is a major redesign then I might check a future app out but not as it is.

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    I think the problem is that while many users see it as half-baked, he seems to be convinced that it's some kind of next gen genius, that the world hasn't grown up to.

Exactly. He is proud of these UIs

• his filters are top notch tho..pity

• Yeah, he nailed the saturation in them, and makeloud is great too... it's just the UI...

• edited September 2020

Can we stop going on about the UI . The devs have worked hard to have these work in DAWs. That Peak Limiter I’ve missed for years Hoping for the Decimator. I do not want them to stop releasing these plugins. In their website they say they will test public reaction if its good they will release these gems. The devs have my full support. The UI’s are very useable you simply put your finger on the sliders & move them left or right. The UI’s can zoom in&out too Show some support people. Cool

• If Apple are allowing devs to pick the low hanging fruit of their built in fx processors and wrap them up in proprietary UIs for release as AUv3s then it’s only a matter of time before someone else picks up the baton and does a decent job of it. Better UIs, same fx quality. It’ll probably be an AudioKit project...

• edited September 2020

Is it normal that the last three sliders cannot be moved ? (Those in white on the pic below)

• edited September 2020

@cuscolima I think they may be extras, not used for this particular effect. Believe this was mentioned near the start of this thread. Just one of the discussed GUI issues.

Edit: see https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/847416/#Comment_847416.

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    If Apple are allowing devs to pick the low hanging fruit of their built in fx processors and wrap them up in proprietary UIs for release as AUv3s then it’s only a matter of time before someone else picks up the baton and does a decent job of it. Better UIs, same fx quality. It’ll probably be an AudioKit project...

@TheOriginalPaulB

• Hehe... AK would actually make me reconsider getting them from Jens instead.