Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Arturia Keystep....37?!

Just came across this video!

And verified here!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1584116-REG/arturia_430221_keystep_37_controller.html

Been wanting a 37 key now I wonder if I should grab this or the Launchkey 37.

Comments

• Looks interesting, and it has the awesome sequencer, but I think I’d still get the Keystep Pro.

• Ha. I literally bought a KeyStep (which has 32 keys, for those in the back) last week.

To be honest, I'm not sure 37 versus 32 keys is something that would significantly help, nor would I necessarily want it. The KeyStep's "mini" keys aren't quite as cramped as some of the other 25-key controllers, but as a result of that, it's not a terribly compact device. Well-built, feels great, but not exactly "throw it in a backpack" size. I've had a few devices with 37 keys (XKey 37; Minilogue; microKorg XL - all now sold). 37 keys is enough to feel like maybe you can do some two-handed parts, but you'll feel pretty limited if you do. 32 keys is great for one-handed parts or programming DAW/MIDI notes - some 25-key controllers have you running out of room even on one-handed arpeggios and "spread out" sequences. I'm happy to use it just for that, rather than try to make it "just a little bigger". But more consumer options are better, so it's good that it exists.

What I find a little more interesting are the black knobs, which seem to be CC controls. Based on my knowledge of original BeatStep and KeyStep, it looks like you can map a series of CC "banks" for perhaps 4 (or perhaps 8? 16?) controllers. I did think that as much as hidden "under the hood" with KeyStep (arpeggiator; polyphonic sequencer; quick switching MIDI channels; etc), it would have been nice if you had some CC knobs on there, as well. Though I assumed that was reserved for one of the bigger "Pro" units.

• @Intrepolicious said:
    Looks interesting, and it has the awesome sequencer, but I think I’d still get the Keystep Pro.

Yeah this is $169 vs $399 so for different buyers. Plus pro is more geared towards hardware with 12 CV outputs and 2 midi outs, where this has 3 CV and 1 midi I/O.

• @StormJH1 said:
    Ha. I literally bought a KeyStep (which has 32 keys, for those in the back) last week.

To be honest, I'm not sure 37 versus 32 keys is something that would significantly help, nor would I necessarily want it. The KeyStep's "mini" keys aren't quite as cramped as some of the other 25-key controllers, but as a result of that, it's not a terribly compact device. Well-built, feels great, but not exactly "throw it in a backpack" size. I've had a few devices with 37 keys (XKey 37; Minilogue; microKorg XL - all now sold). 37 keys is enough to feel like maybe you can do some two-handed parts, but you'll feel pretty limited if you do. 32 keys is great for one-handed parts or programming DAW/MIDI notes - some 25-key controllers have you running out of room even on one-handed arpeggios and "spread out" sequences. I'm happy to use it just for that, rather than try to make it "just a little bigger". But more consumer options are better, so it's good that it exists.

What I find a little more interesting are the black knobs, which seem to be CC controls. Based on my knowledge of original BeatStep and KeyStep, it looks like you can map a series of CC "banks" for perhaps 4 (or perhaps 8? 16?) controllers. I did think that as much as hidden "under the hood" with KeyStep (arpeggiator; polyphonic sequencer; quick switching MIDI channels; etc), it would have been nice if you had some CC knobs on there, as well. Though I assumed that was reserved for one of the bigger "Pro" units.

• More in-depth

• Chord mode + that new three segment LCD alone are bonus enough to make the extra ~$40 worth it imo. Add the new scales, knobs, per-key lights and ARP modes and I'm not sure why the original is still around. Unless the drop the price on it later? I see them each online at $129 and $169 respectively.

• Was thinking about Keystep Pro but the 37 is probably a better fit for me as a "just get shit done" controller/sequencer. It'd be easy enough to capture any MIDI note data that it generates to SunVox or other MIDI recording app on iPad for further refinement of musical ideas.

• @syrupcore said:
    Chord mode + that new three segment LCD alone are bonus enough to make the extra ~$40 worth it imo. Add the new scales, knobs, per-key lights and ARP modes and I'm not sure why the original is still around. Unless the drop the price on it later? I see them each online at $129 and $169 respectively.

Yes. This is looking pretty stellar.

• "In a row?!"

• edited September 2020

At around 8:00 he shows their clever method for entering pattern lengths by using the 16 MIDI channel keys. tl;dw: they use, egad, arithmetic. So, to make it 40 steps long, you'd hit "10" four times (or "16" twice and "8" once, or...). Like.

Why not just use a knob to set the length? Because this allows you to manipulate the pattern length while it's playing. A knob would be a mess. There's a short example of this at around 11:00 in Loopop's video.

• Manual is online. http://downloads.arturia.net/products/keystep-37/manual/keystep-37_Manual_1_0_EN.pdf

I only skimmed it but unearthed one bit of good news: you can edit the 16 Knob CCs directly on the device! A first for Arturia? Actually, pretty rare to see that on any controller in the 'portable/inexpensive(ish)' camp. Hell, can't even change the MIDI channel on most of them!

You can only edit the CC on the device. Within the desktop MCC application, you can also set the min value, max value and specify a MIDI channel. Seems like something that could be looked at via firmware update. There are four knobs so why not set the one you want to edit and then use the four knobs to set the four values (CC, min, max and MIDI CH). Not to be greedy. On-device CC editing is a big old tick in the PLUS column for me.

• Do any of you know whether the CV outputs are still permanently linked to the keyboard? Big miss imho with the Keystep that it can’t be used as an “independent” controller and CV converter!

• @MadGav said:
    Do any of you know whether the CV outputs are still permanently linked to the keyboard? Big miss imho with the Keystep that it can’t be used as an “independent” controller and CV converter!

Not sure because I don't have hardware, but this video shows using it exclusively with hardware.

• I need this so bad! I would go for even more keys too next run...Yea good find mates. I guess the usb jack got fixed by being (usb b_?) biggger as well. The chord mode looked super intricate for what it is too.

• Yeah I'm interested. Supposed to drop on the 15th. They're doing a live workshop later today.

• 🤔 I just can’t get into having touch strips for pitch bend and modulation vs actual wheels or a joystick, I’ve never owned a keyboard with touch strips but I’ve played my brothers Native Instruments controller and just couldn’t get into it, maybe if I had one I’d get used to it eventually????? How do you guys like using the touch strips?

• I agree and would love a pitch wheel and mod wheel. I only have used a slider on the micro freak and I hate It for pitch bend but love it for the spice and dice aka mod wheel type functions. The funk wheel cannot be totally recreated on the sliders I found.

• Anyone knows if it's possible to sequence multiple channels at the same time? In others words, do we have multiple instances of the sequencer or if the sequencer is busy on channel 1, you cannot sequence anything on channel 2 or 3?

• @Montreal_Music said:
    Anyone knows if it's possible to sequence multiple channels at the same time? In others words, do we have multiple instances of the sequencer or if the sequencer is busy on channel 1, you cannot sequence anything on channel 2 or 3?

No, you can't.

• @Montreal_Music said:
    Anyone knows if it's possible to sequence multiple channels at the same time? In others words, do we have multiple instances of the sequencer or if the sequencer is busy on channel 1, you cannot sequence anything on channel 2 or 3?

Unfortunately not. You can sequence one channel and then play another channel "on top."

• Can Keystep 37 be powered directly from iPad with lightning ?

• @Agatha_aga said:
    Can Keystep 37 be powered directly from iPad with lightning ?

No, it requires too much power (iPad 10.2 2020)

• @Agatha_aga said:
    Can Keystep 37 be powered directly from iPad with lightning ?

Keystep 32 YES
    Keystep 37 NO

:(

• @branis , @Montreal_Music guys, thanks for clarification.
    One more question, is there any auv3 midi apps similar to Keystep's looping sequencer? Where you can in real time rewrite notes, insert rests, append sequence.
    Like in first half of this vid

• edited September 2021

@Agatha_aga said:
    @branis , @Montreal_Music guys, thanks for clarification.
    One more question, is there any auv3 midi apps similar to Keystep's looping sequencer? Where you can in real time rewrite notes, insert rests, append sequence.
    Like in first half of this vid

I asked myself this question recently and did not find any good answer. My goal was to avoid spending an others 300$ on something but YOLO, my Keystep 37 is on his way to my door.

I sold my Keystep 32 for this. It's a really fun piece of gear.

• Just receive my Keystep 37. This section in red is kind of bubbly. Is there a sticker to remove? Looks like yes, but I'm not 100% sure and I don't want to remove something important.

• @Montreal_Music said:
    Just receive my Keystep 37. This section in red is kind of bubbly. Is there a sticker to remove? Looks like yes, but I'm not 100% sure and I don't want to remove something important.

If it's anything like the Microfreak, it's bubbly plastic that can peeled off.

• @Samu said:

@Montreal_Music said:
    Just receive my Keystep 37. This section in red is kind of bubbly. Is there a sticker to remove? Looks like yes, but I'm not 100% sure and I don't want to remove something important.

If it's anything like the Microfreak, it's bubbly plastic that can peeled off.

Yes! I can confirm; it's bubbly plastic that can peeled off! It's an OCD thing, but know I'm happy.

Thank you sir.

• The sticker is really hard to start, on once you started it, you can remove it in 1 sec. It take 1 minute. 59 seconds to start, 1 sec to remove it.