Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midisteps auv3

Comments

• anyone sorted out how to change patterns via another sequencer? Possible to send notes or CCs to swap the pattern?

• @syrupcore said:
    anyone sorted out how to change patterns via another sequencer? Possible to send notes or CCs to swap the pattern?

I know there’s an AU parameter exposed. Haven’t gotten as far as looking at that yet though. I’m kinda hoping someone will beat me to it. :#

• @syrupcore said:
    anyone sorted out how to change patterns via another sequencer? Possible to send notes or CCs to swap the pattern?

+1

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

Program change direct to the plugin does the trick. There’s a setting under midi channel to use program change to change patterns or to pass it through.

Unfortunately, I don’t see a way to send PC from a MidiSTEPs instance. That would be a nice way to sequence other instances.

• When midiSTEPs is in control mode (ie. When you transpose the sequence using midi notes) the lower notes C0 etc change the pattern, so one could use one instance of midiSTEPs to control another instance (for example transpose and/or change patterns).

• @Samu said:
    When midiSTEPs is in control mode (ie. When you transpose the sequence using midi notes) the lower notes C0 etc change the pattern, so one could use one instance of midiSTEPs to control another instance (for example transpose and/or change patterns).

Eh? Sorry, I don’t understand this in terms of the available options in the AUv3.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    This is a interesting combo. Now you can sequence your chord pads.

Great combo for experimenting with progressions.. 👍

@Ailerom said:
    Can the pads do more than a triad? Haven't seen anything that shows how the chords are added to a pad or edited.

You can record more than just triads.. the pad will only show up to 4 notes BUT I’ve definitely had 6 notes (per pad) recorded + playing back (by looking at the built-in keyboard).. I was using Tonality Chord Pads AU to input the larger chords so I’m sure any of the chord apps would work if you didn’t play them in yourself..

• edited September 2020

@wim said:

@Samu said:
    When midiSTEPs is in control mode (ie. When you transpose the sequence using midi notes) the lower notes C0 etc change the pattern, so one could use one instance of midiSTEPs to control another instance (for example transpose and/or change patterns).

Eh? Sorry, I don’t understand this in terms of the available options in the AUv3.

Woot! This worked for me but I had to set the triggering midiSTEPs instance to notes starting at C-1 (octave below C0) to trigger patterns starting from pattern 1.

• @wim said:
    Program change direct to the plugin does the trick. There’s a setting under midi channel to use program change to change patterns or to pass it through.

Unfortunately, I don’t see a way to send PC from a MidiSTEPs instance. That would be a nice way to sequence other instances.

Do you have a suggestion for an AU sequencer that’s good at sending/sequencing program changes? Preferably something “easy” that supports slow clock divisions? Asking for a friend.

• @syrupcore said:

@wim said:

Do you have a suggestion for an AU sequencer that’s good at sending/sequencing program changes? Preferably something “easy” that supports slow clock divisions? Asking for a friend.

I THINK Stepbud can do this, but maybe someone else can confirm

• @wim said:

@Ailerom said:
    Can the pads do more than a triad? Haven't seen anything that shows how the chords are added to a pad or edited.

I think the limit is 4 notes per step. You add chords by playing them. You can’t build them up or edit them one note at a time. It’s a little complicated to describe adding and editing, but easy in practice.

The usual way to add steps is just to play notes chords and rests. Each time you play something a step is added. If you don’t want something on a step you tap Rest. There’s a Clear button to delete the last step. There’s an overwrite mode to do more like the usual overdub type entry.

To edit, you long press on a step, and can then change many things about the steps, including the notes, velocity, probability, etc.

That’s not a great explanation, but hopefully gives the general idea.

Thanks for the explanation. That helps. There was one contradiction, bolded above. So I'm not sure about the editing.

• @royor said:
    You can record more than just triads.. the pad will only show up to 4 notes BUT I’ve definitely had 6 notes (per pad) recorded + playing back (by looking at the built-in keyboard).. I was using Tonality Chord Pads AU to input the larger chords so I’m sure any of the chord apps would work if you didn’t play them in yourself..

Great, thank you.

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

@Ailerom said:

@wim said:

@Ailerom said:

I think the limit is 4 notes per step. You add chords by playing them. You can’t build them up or edit them one note at a time. It’s a little complicated to describe adding and editing, but easy in practice.

The usual way to add steps is just to play notes chords and rests. Each time you play something a step is added. If you don’t want something on a step you tap Rest. There’s a Clear button to delete the last step. There’s an overwrite mode to do more like the usual overdub type entry.

To edit, you long press on a step, and can then change many things about the steps, including the notes, velocity, probability, etc.

That’s not a great explanation, but hopefully gives the general idea.

Thanks for the explanation. That helps. There was one contradiction, bolded above. So I'm not sure about the editing.

What I mean is you can’t place a CMaj chord by placing a C, then an E, then a G one after the other. And you can’t remove just the E for instance. You need to play a C-E-G chord all at once. To change that to just C-E you need to play those two notes at once onto that step.

You can change each step, but only by playing what you want on the step all at once.

• @wim said:

@Samu said:

I'll clarify...

When 'ctrl' is used in play mode (not rec) the keyboard transposes and selects patterns.
    Notes around C3 (C2 -- C4) transpose the pattern +/- 12 semitones while notes C -1 do D#0 select patterns 1-16.

Sometimes it's easy to take for granted that everyone has the same over view of an app, so sorry...

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

@Samu said:
    Sometimes it's easy to take for granted that everyone has the same over view of an app, so sorry...

Ahhh! Great, thank you. I never would have found that on my own. B)

So, that means a program change capable sequencer isn’t really needed. A midiSTEPs instance on a slow clock division will do fine. 👍

• Also found long pressing “Clear” deletes the whole sequence.

• @wim said:

So, that means a program change capable sequencer isn’t really needed. A midiSTEPs instance on a slow clock division will do fine. 👍

That's true, you could use Rozeta cells to drive midiSTEPs since it allows a pretty slow clock (1-bar per step or so if I recall correctly).

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Also found long pressing “Clear” deletes the whole sequence.

Yeah, there's plenty of these 'hiding around'...
    The linked manual is for the old version, don't know how much goodies the new one includes?!

• @Samu said:

@wim said:

That's true, you could use Rozeta cells to drive midiSTEPs since it allows a pretty slow clock (1-bar per step or so if I recall correctly).

MidiSTEPs can go that low too. But it doesn’t work out that well really. If you switch to record mode, those notes get recorded into the sequence. 😬

PC seems to be the way to go, but like @syrupcore, I don’t know of a good AU sequencer for Program Change. I don’t think StepBud can do that.

• @wim said:

>

MidiSTEPs can go that low too. But it doesn’t work out that well really. If you switch to record mode, those notes get recorded into the sequence. 😬

Hehe, that is by design, record should record right ;)
    The record has a replace option and when that is turned on it behaves like a midi-looper.

I usually step-program the sequences when the sequencer is not running so for me it's just a matter of getting out fo record mode before starting the playback.

I might remember a bit wrong but I recall BeatHawk being able to send PC and it can be used as an AUv3?!

Don't know if the Atom update will send PC but we can always hope...
    (It will likely complement midiSTEPs quite well).

• @Samu said:

@wim said:

>

The record has a replace option and when that is turned on it behaves like a midi-looper.

I usually step-program the sequences when the sequencer is not running so for me it's just a matter of getting out fo record mode before starting the playback.

I might remember a bit wrong but I recall BeatHawk being able to send PC and it can be used as an AUv3?!

Well the dev just confirmed that atom will have PC. Might have to pick this up. Can anyone upload a quick video showing how well this can sequence basslines? Is there a way to sustain notes and automation for gliding notes?

• @Lil_Stu07 said:

Well the dev just confirmed that atom will have PC. Might have to pick this up. Can anyone upload a quick video showing how well this can sequence basslines? Is there a way to sustain notes and automation for gliding notes?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6kbqy1d0uinyo3k/midiSTEPsTB.MP4?dl=0

Enjoy, midiSTEPs controlling troublemaker...

• @Samu said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

Thanks Samu. I'm curious though how well this handles 808s. Is there any way to sustain notes? Or is this strictly just note by note? Seems more arp like to me. Slowing down the overall rate seems likely to make some notes longer than expected.

• @Samu said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

You doing that via CC @Samu rather than PC if PC how u achieving it?

• edited September 2020

@Lil_Stu07 said:

Thanks Samu. I'm curious though how well this handles 808s. Is there any way to sustain notes? Or is this strictly just note by note? Seems more arp like to me. Slowing down the overall rate seems likely to make some notes longer than expected.

For 808s (ie. distorted/overdriven sine waves) it's all about how the app you control handles it. Some apps use pitch-bend to do the 'glides' while some use portamento, for portamento based apps tie works, for pitchbend you need to be able to draw the pitch-bend automation...

Tie is nothing more than postponing the release of the first held note...

• @Jumpercollins said:

The cutoff is just manual tweaking on top of a playing sequencer.
    I could program it using CC's and use AUM to route the CC to the AUParameter of Troublemaker.
    (I don't have a mouse connected to my Air 2 so no 'cursor' to follow, sorry).

• edited September 2020

@Lil_Stu07 said:

@Samu said:

@wim said:

>

Recorded a baseline from iBassist in MS.. there is a ‘performance mode’ for adding slides, skips, note lengths, etc. that can be done LIVE by moving the faders.... in the iaa version.. can’t seem to be working in the AU.... me thinks... Pretty amazing..

Edit.. Seems like NKS on steroids..

• edited September 2020

@RajahP @Samu thanks! This could be really interesting with sEGments. 🤔🤔🤔

• @RajahP said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

@Samu said:

@wim said:

>

Recorded a baseline from iBassist in MS.. there is a ‘performance mode’ for adding slides, skips, note lengths, etc. that can be done LIVE by moving the faders.... in the iaa version.. can’t seem to be working in the AU.... me thinks... Pretty amazing..

Edit.. Seems like NKS on steroids..

In the AUV3 you can find the probabilities under cfg cc and add those you need.

• @Samu said:

@Jumpercollins said:

The cutoff is just manual tweaking on top of a playing sequencer.
    I could program it using CC's and use AUM to route the CC to the AUParameter of Troublemaker.
    (I don't have a mouse connected to my Air 2 so no 'cursor' to follow, sorry).

Cheers @samu oh u fooled me yes spotted the 3 cc slots for control within MidiSTEPs tend to use the host ie AUM for this.