Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midisteps auv3

Comments

• @wim said:
    There's a bug in the AUv3 with the Sync pattern change type. Set it for anything (bar, step, etc) and it starts counting down from some ridiculously high number instead of counting down the beats or whatever. Does anyone know if @artkerns is checking in here, or how best to get ahold of him?

He’s fast on e=mail when needed, at least that’s my experience...

• It would be great to be able to set the background color per-instance in the AU, to make it easier to keep track of which sequence you're working on when there's more than one.

• @RajahP said:
    Beautiful... but can’t find the scale feature...

Edit.. Auv3

Scales have never been present in midiSTEPs so shoot a request. i’ve learned to play my favourite scales in most keys already, with a little practice it’s truly rewarding! :)

• @wim said:

@Gavinski said:
    @wim what do you most like about midiSTEPs?

Lately I've been doing a lot more of just setting up quick "performance" jams. I don't want to spend a bunch of time setting up something like LK or even dealing with a piano roll at all. I just want to get some notes down quickly in patterns, then be able to copy them to other patterns, do quick variations on those, then shift between them easily.

Drambo works really well for this, but copying, editing, changing patterns is a little more involved (though you have tons more control). midiSTEPs takes some of the flexibility out of main view, which encourages a quicker, more intuitive workflow for me.

But the biggest advantage with midiSteps is the handy visual of the notes on each step. For some reason, seeing the pattern as it plays helps me to visualize what I want to change - the combination of the visual + the sound just clicks with me, and I know exactly what I want to do. Yes, you can see all that in a piano roll, but this is less clutter, and seeing the note names works better for me.

I don't care for it as a drum sequencer, but for melodic stuff it's great. It just releases a different kind of creativity in me ... it's hard to put into words. ;)

I'm also going to do some experimentation to see if it works well as a midi-looper a'la loopy but for midi. That might not work out, but I'm gonna give it a try.

All parameters exposed in AUM too! Nice.

Thanks for this Wim

• @wim said:
    There's a bug in the AUv3 with the Sync pattern change type. Set it for anything (bar, step, etc) and it starts counting down from some ridiculously high number instead of counting down the beats or whatever. Does anyone know if @artkerns is checking in here, or how best to get ahold of him?

art (at) artkerns.com

• Midilooper should work when leaving rec on in overwrite mode, this way the lenght will not be changed. (Start with a pattern with 16 rests for one bar etc.).

• Sending a LFO to the note settings using Rozeta is a great way to get movement.

• @Samu said:

@RajahP said:

Edit.. Auv3

Scales have never been present in midiSTEPs so shoot a request. i’ve learned to play my favourite scales in most keys already, with a little practice it’s truly rewarding! :)

Maybe you’ve missed it... From the IAA.

• @Gavinski said:

@wim said:

art (at) artkerns.com

Thanks!

• @RajahP said:

@Samu said:

@RajahP said:

Edit.. Auv3

Ooops, my bad :)
    Need to sleep now for real...

• @wim said:
    It would be great to be able to set the background color per-instance in the AU, to make it easier to keep track of which sequence you're working on when there's more than one.

Yes agreed seeing the standalone has it.

• @Samu said:

@RajahP said:

@Samu said:

@RajahP said:

Edit.. Auv3

Ooops, my bad :)
    Need to sleep now for real...

It’s really a great feature when ‘overwriting’ record..

Sleet tight..😎

• @wim Just tried Musk player with a midi file loaded sending midi into MidiSTEPs AU it records in like magic once u hit play in Musk player going to have a lot of fun with that combo.

• edited September 2020

Also the pads inside CB3 record straight into MidiSTEPs when played.

• iOS 12.4 damn. Stuck at 12.2...

• Is there a way to sequence the different scenes 1 2 and 3 automatically without need to press on numbers?

• Just for my AUv3 midi-output wiki list, could someone please check:

A ) Can one setup the midi output channel ?
    B ) If a midi channel is setup, save a preset, change the channel and the reload the preset - is the stored output channel restored from the preset ?

I see in the above screenshot that A ) is yes :) Someone please to the test for B )

Thanks

• This and Atom ! This for tons of LPG’s acid basslines and Atom for your leads and pads...Heaven!
    Oh...and Octachron for drums !

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

@_ki said:
    Just for my AUv3 midi-output wiki list, could someone please check:

A ) Can one setup the midi output channel ?
    B ) If a midi channel is setup, save a preset, change the channel and the reload the preset - is the stored output channel restored from the preset ?

I see in the above screenshot that A ) is yes :) Someone please to the test for B )

Thanks

Channel isn't saved in the preset. It is state-saved in the host session however. I've emailed the developer to see if that's a bug or by-design.

• Huzzzzzah! Congrats and thank you @artkerns!

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Sending a LFO to the note settings using Rozeta is a great way to get movement.

Yum. Out of respect, I’ll try with Art’s own midiLFOs app though. ;)

• Maybe this means my dream of a FunkBox AU has a chance of moving up the todo list. :) Just the existing preset beats and sample sets; no editing. Basically just something stupid quick (and tasty, like FunkBox) to play along to. Like the family room organ rhythm box the original is visually based on.

More “metronome with swagger/feel” rather than “drum machine with features x, y ...”

• Oh man I missed this, I have this but was in the dustbin.... Unboxing it now (pretend) again!

• Snap. I am a fool haha. I thought this was an ancient post as I had to go to store to update as its not on auto update like most.. Anyway CHEERS@!

• @Jumpercollins said:

Also the pads inside CB3 record straight into MidiSTEPs when played.

Guess the Dev. Thought that there are great Au Controllers available.. It still would be nice to have an onboard ‘enhanced’ keyboard... no biggie... loving this great app...

• Awwww. I just realized this is iPad only. :'(
    I was really looking forward to messing with it on the phone.
    Oh well. Still mucho happy.

• Can the pads do more than a triad? Haven't seen anything that shows how the chords are added to a pad or edited.

• @Ailerom said:
    Can the pads do more than a triad? Haven't seen anything that shows how the chords are added to a pad or edited.

I think the limit is 4 notes per step. You add chords by playing them. You can’t build them up or edit them one note at a time. It’s a little complicated to describe adding and editing, but easy in practice.

The usual way to add steps is just to play notes chords and rests. Each time you play something a step is added. If you don’t want something on a step you tap Rest. There’s a Clear button to delete the last step. There’s an overwrite mode to do more like the usual overdub type entry.

To edit, you long press on a step, and can then change many things about the steps, including the notes, velocity, probability, etc.

That’s not a great explanation, but hopefully gives the general idea.