Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mozaic Script: MutatoR (demo video, script and session download)

_ki_ki
edited September 2020 in Creations

The MutatoR script for Mozaic is a live jam script that allows to apply independant note mutations and humanization to all 16 midi channels with 64 user-defined configurations organized in 4 banks.

MutatorR can issue static or random note drops, velocity changes, transpositions with scales and destination channel routings independenly for each channel to transform the melodic and ryhtmic quantities of the input material.

You can download the script at PatchStorage, the full documentation is hosted on the Audiobus Wiki and you can download the Audiobus Session showcased in the video.

http://preset.audiob.us/zdh8MDm1fEOmGsJ

Comments

• This sounds very useful, saved for later, keen to check this out, thanks a lot

• _ki_ki
    edited September 2020

A bit of history:

• I started working on the script in mid january 2020.
    • By the end of february, it already had advanced to version 2 featuring the multi-line labels and the migration manager allowing to import older sessions.
    • The version 2.5 of april added the Swap/Copy feature.
    • Version 3 was started in june which added the drop pattern, but first only a fixed set of 45 pattern.
    • Version 3.5 then added the pattern editor that allowed to enter all 256 possible patterns

There were many, many intermediate versions and i already have ideas for new features - the main problem is that the script is at Mozaics script-size limit, so for each addition i have to shorten / strip out other parts.
    But the next feature still should be do-able: (a scale quantize toggle per channel/config)

Writing the wiki documentation took about 10 days and doing the demo session and the video took another 14 days.

• Wow, that's a hell of a lot of work

• McDMcD
    edited September 2020

This is a truly epic contribution. Congratulations on your achievement.

My first thought is... is there a project file available to quickly instantiate a "rig"?
    Knowing @_ki's attention to detail, I'm sure he's got one on the wiki.

"There's a Wiki?" (HINT: Look at the top of this page). When you get there search for Mutator.

I'll race you.

UPDATE: No project file provided. You have to build one. Are cookies for
    someone to share their rig. Even just a couple generators in AUM would be fine to have a play since AUM can filter out individual MIDI streams.

Free cookies for anyone sharing either an AUM or a AudioBus project file.
    I have the Rozeta Suite for generators and most of the @Brambos synths for targets. An all @Brambos rig would show respect for the "Wizard".

• The script looks awesome, the demo video was great. It looks easy to learn, and I enjoyed seeing so many "UI tricks" put to good use. It will definitely be useful as a composition tool, and it also makes me want to learn to write the kind of "live jam" music that you're using it for in the video.

• _ki_ki
    edited September 2020

@Mcd said
    UPDATE: No project file provided. You have to build one. Are cookies for
    someone to share their rig. Even just a couple generators in AUM would be fine to have a play since AUM can filter out individual MIDI streams.

These is an Audiobus session file that contains the whole demo. I thought that since i use the AB wiki for documentation, i should support Michael by outting out demo using his host first :)

In AUM the routing is the same, the main hurdle is to understand the basics of multi-channel-midi and how to do the routing and output channel assignment.

You need midi generators sending on different midi-channels feeding into MutatoR and then all sound generators / instruments read from MutatoR. You can use AUMs channel filter to separate the midi stream going into the instruments, so no need for a channel filter plugins like in Audiobus.

Tips on Midi Generators

• I either use several Atom instances (plus mfxConvert to force the midi output channel go something other than 1)

• or nowadays a single instance of LKs Matrix module that contains all pattern on different tracks.

• Before LK i often used BetaHawk to sequence multi-midi-channel pattern. For BH all pattern needed to have the same length, but it can record pitchbend and CCs which LK can‘t do yet.

• Fugue Maschine also produces nice 4 channel midi streams. Other generators include Cycle, StepPolyArp Unit and StepBud. Or Aphelian for more generative motifs.

• To sequence drums i use Rozeta X0X / Rythm, Ocatachron or Poly 2.

• With X0X i often start with a more complex beat in a single instance and then distribute the parts to different instances to set separate midi output channels to allow for separate muting of kick, snares, hats and percussion.

• Octachron and Poly 2 allow to set the output channel per sound, so no need to copy or do separate instances

• Sometimes i feed several melodies, alternative bass riffs or drum pattern on separate midi channels to allow switching between motifs

Setup in AUM/apeMatrix and conversion of existing sessions

Should be fairly easy:

• Pick several generators and come up with repeating patterns, set each generator to a different midi channel
    • Setup drum sequences, ideally with kicks, snare, hats and percussion on different midi channels
    • Setup the channel filters on the instruments to match the output channel(s) of the generators. Since my drums are split on several channels, i often use like ch9-12 as input filter for the drum instrument
    • When everything is running with output channels and input channels set, add a MutatoR script and reroute all generators into MutatoR and all instruments reading from MutatoR.
  • BTW: There is a wiki page listing all AUv3 midi generators and their capabilty to set/restrieve the midi output channel.

• edited September 2020

This looks brilliant, haven’t even got started with it yet but I can see it being really useful, must have been a huge amount of work.

I noticed Figure in the list of midi generators above, should that be Fugue Machine? Would be nice if Figure did send out midi streams though.

• @_ki said:
    These is an Audiobus session file that contains the whole demo.

Where is the session file located? Any links to the link?

• Drambo is also great as a midi generator that can send out on multiple channels.

• Incredible attention to detail, @_ki!

@McD, the link to a session file is in the first post.

• @bleep said:
    Incredible attention to detail, @_ki!

@McD, the link to a session file is in the first post.

The session file link doesn’t work for me, has anyone got it to download?

• I'm not at home right now, away on a weekend trip with the lady :)
    I'm able check the session in about 10 hours, sorry...

And yed, i meant Fugue Maschine, not Figure. I'll correct that in the post.

• Fixed the session link :*

• @_ki said:
    Fixed the session link :*

Great thanks, downloaded ok :)

• Thanks for these scripts, very useful :)
    Also your work with the gui makes them efficient to use considering the restrictions of screens available.

• @_ki said:
    Fixed the session link :*

Thanks. Beautiful work on every level: coding, UI, documentation, video demo.
    Really an accomplishment and very musical. I'll bet you get some good results driving
    a suitable collection of synths.

That's the next step for me... swapping in synths for the BS-16i instances.

There's a lot to unravel and master.

• This looks so freakin cool

• edited September 2020

Wow @_ki thanks so much for this masterpiece of a script. Unbelievable level!
    The wait was worthwhile!

Very respectful of you to set the demo in AB. I still enjoy that app and the forum.

I’ll set mutator with Drambo as a midi generator in Aum.

• Yes, Drambo can send out multi-channel midi even including CC automations. MutatoR routes non-note midi events to the same channel as the notes, so re-directs should work as expected.

• Finally had a chance to play with this beauty last night. Jaw dropping what you have done in this script! I'll be using this frequently. Thank you!