Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 2 ‘local’ failure- what can I do?

I have two iPads, one for general use, one solely for music creation; I have Cubasis 2 on both. Having already today recorded, mixed down and uploaded one track from the music iPad, I went to start another using an external synth running into my Steinberg interface, thence into C2. No signal. Checked all connections and routing, no joy. Tried other synths into other inputs on the interface, no joy. Tried it with the general use iPad and everything worked perfectly. Meanwhile, I can upload audio tracks from AUM into C2 on the music iPad via Audioshare; I simply cannot RECORD an audio track. Is it possible for Cubasis 2 to fail ‘locally’ like this, and what would the remedy be? I would rather not delete and reinstall the app as my understanding is that all Cubasis data on the iPad in question is lost.

Any ideas?

Comments

  • Are you sure the track is armed? Is monitoring enabled? Is Bluetooth / AirPlay turned off in Setup > Audio?

  • Yes, yes, and yes (I have never turned on Bluetooth/Airplay).

  • Hard reset on the problem iPad?

  • Maybe check CB2 project sampling rate & bit rate settings match your audio interface settings.

  • Hard reset- yes. Rate settings- yes. That was part of narrowing the problem down- it wasn’t the synths, it wasn’t the cables, it wasn’t the interface, it wasn’t the iPad: it can only (imo) be C2.

  • wimwim
    edited September 6

    You could try “offloading” the app, which will not lose data. Go to iOS settings > General > device storage. Then scroll down the list until you find Cubasis 2 and tap on it. Select to offload the app. Wait a bit, then go back to the home screen and try to open Cubasis the app will re-download and install.

    It’s a long-shot, but a no data loss way to try a reinstall.

    NOTE: don’t select the option to offload little used apps by mistake.

  • wimwim
    edited September 6

    I assume you can record into AUM from the same interface. You sound like the kind of person that would already have tried that.

  • Try another app to see if you can record using the interface.

    Are you using the same cables on both iPads

  • Tbh Wim, I normally do record into AUM and then port tracks into Cubasis via Audioshare- so yes, I had tried that, along with everything else.

    One other thing occurs though- could the media bay be full? There are probably fifty-plus tracks, plus hundreds upon hundreds of audio snippets ranging from a few kB to 50mB. Should that be the case an offload wouldn’t solve the problem, and I may have to spend a day ruthlessly deleting tracks that I hold elsewhere- though that would preclude any subsequent remixing.

    I will try the offload though- and if that doesn’t work then I have seven days from now to get CB3 at its reduced price. Would rather not at this stage of my pay cycle...

  • wimwim
    edited September 7

    @Rorytheborder said:
    Tbh Wim, I normally do record into AUM and then port tracks into Cubasis via Audioshare- so yes, I had tried that, along with everything else.

    One other thing occurs though- could the media bay be full? There are probably fifty-plus tracks, plus hundreds upon hundreds of audio snippets ranging from a few kB to 50mB. Should that be the case an offload wouldn’t solve the problem, and I may have to spend a day ruthlessly deleting tracks that I hold elsewhere- though that would preclude any subsequent remixing.

    I will try the offload though- and if that doesn’t work then I have seven days from now to get CB3 at its reduced price. Would rather not at this stage of my pay cycle...

    I don’t see how the media bay could be full unless you have no space left on your iPad. And even it was, you should still be at least able to monitor.

  • Ok, that was silly of me- 128gB iPad, maybe a third occupied...

    I’ll try offloading and reinstalling when I’m not technically at work (oops). If that doesn’t work I may have to lay out for CB3.

  • I’ll ask once again. Have you tried recording using that interface on that iPad but using a different application like AUM.

  • @cyberheater said:
    I’ll ask once again. Have you tried recording using that interface on that iPad but using a different application like AUM.

    @Rorytheborder said:
    Tbh Wim, I normally do record into AUM and then port tracks into Cubasis via Audioshare- so yes, I had tried that, along with everything else.

  • @wim said:

    @cyberheater said:
    I’ll ask once again. Have you tried recording using that interface on that iPad but using a different application like AUM.

    @Rorytheborder said:
    Tbh Wim, I normally do record into AUM and then port tracks into Cubasis via Audioshare- so yes, I had tried that, along with everything else.

    Still not clear. Does his audio interface fail or work with AUM?

  • Absolutely everything works- AUM, interface, cables, synths, with the SOLE exception of recording external instruments into Cubasis. And now that I have offloaded and re-installed it, I know it to be a fault in CB2, because it STILL does not record external instruments. And for the avoidance of doubt, since I have had the problem I have continued to record into AUM using the same external instruments connected by the same cables into the same interface, before exporting the results into CB2 via Audioshare- successfully.

  • wimwim
    edited September 8

    @Rorytheborder said:
    Absolutely everything works- AUM, interface, cables, synths, with the SOLE exception of recording external instruments into Cubasis. And now that I have offloaded and re-installed it, I know it to be a fault in CB2, because it STILL does not record external instruments. And for the avoidance of doubt, since I have had the problem I have continued to record into AUM using the same external instruments connected by the same cables into the same interface, before exporting the results into CB2 via Audioshare- successfully.

    So strange. It must be something about that particular interface. Recording isn't a problem in CB2 in general.
    What version of iOS are you on just out of curiosity? It doubt that's related, but I'm curious.

    I would think reaching out to Steinberg technical support might be helpful considering both are Steinberg products.

  • @Rorytheborder said:
    Absolutely everything works- AUM, interface, cables, synths, with the SOLE exception of recording external instruments into Cubasis. And now that I have offloaded and re-installed it, I know it to be a fault in CB2, because it STILL does not record external instruments. And for the avoidance of doubt, since I have had the problem I have continued to record into AUM using the same external instruments connected by the same cables into the same interface, before exporting the results into CB2 via Audioshare- successfully.

    It’s a very weird problem. I’m scratching my head.

  • I’m on iOS 13.6- or whatever the latest is. And it’s not the interface- it performs flawlessly with AUM with a variety of synths. Did I mention that I’ve also used guitars via an iRig 2 into AUM, and that works, but the same interface, cables and guitar into CB2 does not.

    I have now raised it with Steinberg- did so after the re-install failed to resolve the issue

  • @Rorytheborder said:
    I’m on iOS 13.6- or whatever the latest is. And it’s not the interface- it performs flawlessly with AUM with a variety of synths. Did I mention that I’ve also used guitars via an iRig 2 into AUM, and that works, but the same interface, cables and guitar into CB2 does not.

    I have now raised it with Steinberg- did so after the re-install failed to resolve the issue

    Let us know what they say.

Sign In or Register to comment.