Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tal U NO LX

Comments

• I’ve had a few Juno 106s in the past. The TAL absolutely nails the sound. My favourite synth on any platform.
    If TAL ever bought out a hardware version I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

• superb sound !

• @cyberheater said:
    I’ve had a few Juno 106s in the past. The TAL absolutely nails the sound. My favourite synth on any platform.
    If TAL ever bought out a hardware version I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

Definitely agree with this. I’ve also had a few 106’s over the years (back when you could pick them up for nothing) and TAL captured it perfectly. If I closed my eyes and played the original and U NO LX, I sincerely doubt I could pick the real 106. Spot on.

• Totally - but all I want is a 101

• So jealous of the folks who were around to get a cheapo Juno, especially “a few”! Of them. My GAS rule is if I re-buy something I sold the first time, I cannot sell it ever the second time around.

Homestly though, the TAL is so good that I can live without lusting for one anymore (at $1500 or more at least for a well-serviced one).

• Maybe we will get the TAL new Jupiter aswell, which would be a dream. Really hoping for this to happen.

• @oat_phipps said:
    So jealous of the folks who were around to get a cheapo Juno, especially “a few”! Of them. My GAS rule is if I re-buy something I sold the first time, I cannot sell it ever the second time around.

Homestly though, the TAL is so good that I can live without lusting for one anymore (at $1500 or more at least for a well-serviced one).

Years ago I bought one on a fleamarket for about € 90,00 (before that I had one but sold it). Needed some attention because one voice needed to be repaired. I eventually sold it for I believe € 500,00. It’s truly unbelievable what they ask for it right now. It’s a very nice synth but $ 1500+ i.m.o. is overpriced, the TAL is a worthy and good alternative.

• edited August 2021

@Jusch1995 said:
    Maybe we will get the TAL new Jupiter aswell, which would be a dream. Really hoping for this to happen.

I remember the developer responding to a similar question with something like "unlikely to happen".
    Seeing his activity to port to the M1 architecture, I guess it's more a question of pricing than technical feasibility.

Edit:
    See https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/892812#Comment_892812

• @rs2000 said:

@Jusch1995 said:
    Maybe we will get the TAL new Jupiter aswell, which would be a dream. Really hoping for this to happen.

I remember the developer responding to a similar question with something like "unlikely to happen".
    Seeing his activity to port to the M1 architecture, I guess it's more a question of pricing than technical feasibility.

Edit:
    See https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/892812#Comment_892812

I think the J-8 gets quite demanding when you push it (max polyphony, long release times, 2 layers and X-mods). In a couple of years when the M1 (or a successor) is the basic iPad chip this won't be such a problem, but it could be a factor right now (as with Repro-5 etc.). Crackles for the average user.

TAL-Sampler is the one I'm hoping for. It's one of my favourite instruments. Would love to have it as a hardware keyboard, ideally - like an E-mu II or an S1000KB, but both, and better (and cheaper).

• edited August 2021

I tried the Jupiter on a stock but very recent middle-of-the-line Dell laptop (can’t remember the specs) and it could not even handle one instance hosted in Reaper as the only other application running.

I’m sure if i messed with the audio settings it could handle at least one, but didn’t have the time and was just curious to see how it sounded.

• @oat_phipps said:
    I tried the Jupiter on a stock but very recent middle-of-the-line Dell laptop (can’t remember the specs) and it could not even handle one instance hosted in Reaper as the only other application running.

I’m sure if i messed with the audio settings it could handle at least one, but didn’t have the time and was just curious to see how it sounded.

Interesting. While the U-he Diva and Repro-5 are too demanding when exhausting max polyphony, the J-8 consumed only average CPU numbers and I couldn't get it to crackle on my older (7Y57) Win tablet. Two instances at high polyphony would be too much though.
    Have you been using an ASIO driver?
    The driver can make quite a difference from my experience.

• @rs2000 said:

@oat_phipps said:

Interesting. While the U-he Diva and Repro-5 are too demanding when exhausting max polyphony, the J-8 consumed only average CPU numbers and I couldn't get it to crackle on my older (7Y57) Win tablet. Two instances at high polyphony would be too much though.
    Have you been using an ASIO driver?
    The driver can make quite a difference from my experience.

I dunno, I was just killing a few minutes at my Dad’s with his laptop he never uses. I’m pretty sure it was an ASIO driver. I’m an idiot when it comes to PCs, though. I lost complete touch even navigating them after the XP era.

• edited August 2021

I consider the TAL-U-NO-LX one of the best synths on any platform.

Is the developer actually looking into creating more synths… or any other kinds of apps for iOS/iPadOS?

• Complete guess but, I'm thinking that TAL-U-NO-LX was a testing ground to see how lucrative and worthwhile iOS is and I'm guessing they deemed it not worthwhile. Which is why we haven't seen a single other app from them. I mean they have a handful of free desktop plugins that haven't made their way here. I wouldn't hold me breath.

• @Lil_Stu07 said:
    Complete guess but, I'm thinking that TAL-U-NO-LX was a testing ground to see how lucrative and worthwhile iOS is and I'm guessing they deemed it not worthwhile. Which is why we haven't seen a single other app from them. I mean they have a handful of free desktop plugins that haven't made their way here. I wouldn't hold me breath.

I find it difficult to believe. Their synth on iPadOS has nothing but glowing praise and I’d assume sales would be solid also with so many recommendations. If they want to make more incremental revenue, they should be selling in-app purchases of sound packs.

• @Lil_Stu07 said:
    Complete guess but, I'm thinking that TAL-U-NO-LX was a testing ground to see how lucrative and worthwhile iOS is and I'm guessing they deemed it not worthwhile. Which is why we haven't seen a single other app from them. I mean they have a handful of free desktop plugins that haven't made their way here. I wouldn't hold me breath.

The dev actually said as much here: https://www.synthtalk.net/articles/the-tal-u-no-lx-juno-60-emulation-is-available-on-ios/

Do you have plans to bring any of your other emulations to the iPad?
    We will see. It depends on how the feedback is for our first release on iOS.

I've come to the same conclusion that it's probably not gonna happen.

• @NoiseFloored said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

The dev actually said as much here: https://www.synthtalk.net/articles/the-tal-u-no-lx-juno-60-emulation-is-available-on-ios/

If it’s only about feedback, then they have it. Almost universally praised.

• edited August 2021

@NeuM said:

@NoiseFloored said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

Feedback is more than likely a nice way of saying revenue. Most people vote with their wallets. Probably not enough wallets on this platform to justify a lot of time investment.

Edit... And if you've seen how many free packs you can download for this thing, selling sound packs just doesn't seem very lucrative or intuitive.

• @Lil_Stu07 said:

@NeuM said:

@NoiseFloored said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

Feedback is more than likely a nice way of saying revenue. Most people vote with their wallets. Probably not enough wallets on this platform to justify a lot of time investment.

I think if that’s remotely the issue, then they should be playing with pricing to determine an optimal level. Price something too low and people think it’s trash. Price it too high and sales drop.

• @oat_phipps said:
    So jealous of the folks who were around to get a cheapo Juno, especially “a few”! Of them. My GAS rule is if I re-buy something I sold the first time, I cannot sell it ever the second time around.

The vintage synth market is ridiculous. It jumped the shark years ago. I’ve own pretty much everything over the years with a few rare exceptions (Oh how I lust after you Fairlight😍). No way I would pay $1500 for a Juno 106. It’s crazy to me. There’s so many awesome modern synths these days I can’t fathom vintage prices???

But on another note…. I know the TAL developer has stated no more crossovers to iOS, but damn I want TAL Sampler in iOS.

• @NeuM said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

@NeuM said:

@NoiseFloored said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

I think if that’s remotely the issue, then they should be playing with pricing to determine an optimal level. Price something too low and people think it’s trash. Price it too high and sales drop.

True but you also have to think of how sales sustain. It's a niche market. After the initial wave of consumers, it's a trickle rate of sales. It's not like people are flocking to iOS production by the boatload.

There also aren't very many lucrative professionals using this platform as their sole production environment. Apple's update system and app store monopoly doesn't help the case either.

• @NeuM said:

@NoiseFloored said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

I have a feeling that when it came out a lot of people were complaining about patch management and other issues.

So now it seems universally loved, but I'm not sure that was always the case. Perhaps that hurt the initial sales?

• @benlefoe said:

@NeuM said:

@NoiseFloored said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

I have a feeling that when it came out a lot of people were complaining about patch management and other issues.

So now it seems universally loved, but I'm not sure that was always the case. Perhaps that hurt the initial sales?

I think it’s a matter of them needing to play with their pricing. Every developer has to face this issue until they can find what is the level of market tolerance/acceptance for their product.

• @NeuM said:

@benlefoe said:

@NeuM said:

@NoiseFloored said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

I think it’s a matter of them needing to play with their pricing. Every developer has to face this issue until they can find what is the level of market tolerance/acceptance for their product.

I remember the discussion around slider behavior, UI scaling and patch management, and I think I remember the dev not being entirely happy (here? on Twitter? It can honestly be an impression I just made on up on my mind).

Regarding pricing/revenue, I think that a developer can have a relatively good idea of the income vs development effort ratio, but ongoing support effort can be a mess; you're effectively adding a new customer base, with its own interaction aspects and nuances. It's hard to gauge, but monitoring threads in this forum or checking out App Store review comments can definitely be a time sink.

• edited August 2021

@Lil_Stu07 said:

@NeuM said:

@NoiseFloored said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

Edit... And if you've seen how many free packs you can download for this thing, selling sound packs just doesn't seem very lucrative or intuitive.

Or you can learn in 10 minutes exactly everything it can do and just dial in the patches. I never use patches with a Juno, just punch in what I want in 10-20 seconds. I can’t believe people would try to sell them. It’s the simplest, most perfect starter synth ever, but you’ll keep on using it no matter how advanced your knowledge gets or how complex your other synths can be. It has a pleasing sound no matter what you do with it. It’s like a synth on rails, really.

• edited August 2021

@oat_phipps said:
    Or you can learn in 10 minutes exactly everything it can do and just dial in the patches. I never use patches with a Juno, just punch in what I want in 10-20 seconds. I can’t believe people would try to sell them. It’s the simplest, most perfect starter synth ever, but you’ll keep on using it no matter how advanced your knowledge gets or how complex your other synths can be. It has a pleasing sound no matter what you do with it. It’s like a synth on rails, really.

So true. I have a JU-06A and atm, it's the only synth that I've been focusing on because of the ease of use and sound quality. Very easy to learn synthesis and dial in an amazing patch. The 4 note polyphony doesn't really matter with things like ableton and an MPC. It takes no time to record and then add another layer. It's simply brilliant.

• edited August 2021

As far as sales, I’m only speculating based off the Lunar Lander developer sharing that they had ~1100 downloads and a 90% IAP success rate in the first couple weeks. But after the initial Audiobus forum/other iOS sites release bump and the trickle (like after 3 months or so), I wouldn’t be surprised if they were selling maybe a copy or two a day, and plenty days none. And I’m talking globally, not just the US. An app can go on sale and all of a sudden it immediately cracks the top 20 of sales. I’m honestly shocked iOS has developed as far as it has. forScore still seems to be going strong, though. The Tiny Wings of iOS music.

• edited August 2021

@oat_phipps said:
    As far as sales, I’m only speculating based off the Lunar Lander developer sharing that they had ~1100 downloads and a 90% IAP success rate in the first couple weeks. But after the initial Audiobus forum/other iOS sites release bump and the trickle (like after 3 months or so), I wouldn’t be surprised if they were selling maybe a copy or two a day, and plenty days none. And I’m talking globally, not just the US. An app can go on sale and all of a sudden it immediately cracks the top 20 of sales. I’m honestly shocked iOS has developed as far as it has. forScore still seems to be going strong, though. The Tiny Wings of iOS music.

Since these forums represent a concentrated pool of potential buyers, anyone selling something in the audio recording/engineering/etc. space would want to start it off here. A specialty app selling to the general public would be a rarity unless it also functions somewhat like a super simple to use novelty or game app.

Hey… that might be a way for these developers to extend the reach of these audio products… make some elements of them gamified, then use that gamer revenue to drive the more serious and technical aspects of the app.

• @NeuM said:

@oat_phipps said:

Since these forums represent a concentrated pool of potential buyers, anyone selling something in the audio recording/engineering/etc. space would want to start it off here. A specialty app selling to the general public would be a rarity unless it also functions somewhat like a super simple to use novelty or game app.

Hey… that might be a way for these developers to extend the reach of these audio products… make some elements of them gamified, then use that gamer revenue to drive the more serious and technical aspects of the app.

Isn’t Korg Gadget an arcade? I thought that’s what it was. At least it always made me feel like I was in an arcade instead of trying to be productive.

• @oat_phipps said:

@NeuM said:

@oat_phipps said:

Isn’t Korg Gadget an arcade? I thought that’s what it was. At least it always made me feel like I was in an arcade instead of trying to be productive.

Hey, this could be the secret to Gadget's popularity!