Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone using a MacBook Pro?

Hey y’all thinking of switching from pc to MacBook Pro, I’m wavering over how much RAM I really need. I’ve got 16gb in my pc and not had any problems even though I use Kontakt sometimes and Spitfire audio stuff. I understand it depends on how many instances you use on project etc.
Any advice?
Go with 16Gb?

Comments

• McDMcD
    edited September 2020

Google research advises:

8 GB is plenty for the majority of music production processing. 16 or 32 GB can help if you plan to work with the large sample libraries that are needed to emulate acoustic instruments realistically.

Jacob Collier has 384GB ram and makes Logic Pro projects with hundreds of tracks.

• I have a 2018 MBP with 16gb and have never run into any RAM issues.

• I think 16GB is a good amount. But I'd recommend waiting until next week or so. Apparently, Apple is announcing new Macbooks this year using their new chips that are supposedly $200 cheaper.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/could-apples-first-arm-powered-macbooks-be-dollar200-cheaper-than-the-current-intel-models

• Anything less than 16GB will make you sad.. and frustrated because you’ll see that beautiful spinning beach ball thingy A LOT.. 😁 Also go with SSD drive if you can.. (not sure if you’re buying brand new or have something a bit older lined up)..

• 16gb in a 2013 MacBook Pro and all is well.

• @kinkujin said:
    16gb in a 2013 MacBook Pro and all is well.

@royor said:
    Anything less than 16GB will make you sad.. and frustrated because you’ll see that beautiful spinning beach ball thingy A LOT.. 😁 Also go with SSD drive if you can.. (not sure if you’re buying brand new or have something a bit older lined up)..

@seonnthaproducer said:
    I think 16GB is a good amount. But I'd recommend waiting until next week or so. Apparently, Apple is announcing new Macbooks this year using their new chips that are supposedly $200 cheaper.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/could-apples-first-arm-powered-macbooks-be-dollar200-cheaper-than-the-current-intel-models

@michael_m said:
    I have a 2018 MBP with 16gb and have never run into any RAM issues.

@McD said:
    Google research advises:

8 GB is plenty for the majority of music production processing. 16 or 32 GB can help if you plan to work with the large sample libraries that are needed to emulate acoustic instruments realistically.

Jacob Collier has 384GB ram and makes Logic Pro projects with hundreds of tracks.

Cheers everyone just jumped at a refurbished 16 inch 2019 32gb RAM 1TB I saw on Apple website. Lotta money but feels like a bit of a bargain, up until about 5 days ago I didn’t even know Apple did refurbished products!

• I went from a 2012 8GB i7 MacbookAir and would max out RAM often. Now I use a 2017 32GB iMac i7. I do work with sample libraries. I froze tracks a lot on the laptop but now I don’t usually need to. I believe MacBook (all macs?) RAM is soldered in now so it’s an important consideration. If it were me I would certainly not go below 16GB in this day and age. You will probably never regret getting 32GB in the long run. I wish I had 64GB lol.

As @seonnthaproducer mentioned it may be a good time to wait for the new MacBooks...

• edited September 2020

You will love the 16” 2019 MBP. I use one and it’s the best I’ve ever had. And it has a keyboard you can actually use - instead of the previous butterfly type. Yay!

• edited September 2020

The new Macs with Apple silicon are (almost certainly) going to be really great.

But there probably won’t be much native audio software other than Logic and GarageBand for a while. If the last transition is anything to go by, that wait for (insert your favourite apps and plugins here) will be a long one.

It’s not just the apps that need updating, the frameworks and licensing systems also need to be native. Some developers will be relying on other companies to be able to update. I’d be surprised if the likes of PACE are ready to go as soon as the first Apple-ARM Macs drop.

• I’ve only got 8gb in mine and I’ve been fine.

• @barabajagal said:
    Cheers everyone just jumped at a refurbished 16 inch 2019 32gb RAM 1TB I saw on Apple website. Lotta money but feels like a bit of a bargain, up until about 5 days ago I didn’t even know Apple did refurbished products!

That’ll do very fine. I’m on late 2013 model and, using it judiciously, never have any problems. Your model will have a lot of sparing power. 👍

• edited September 2020

@barabajagal said:
    Hey y’all thinking of switching from pc to MacBook Pro, I’m wavering over how much RAM I really need. I’ve got 16gb in my pc and not had any problems even though I use Kontakt sometimes and Spitfire audio stuff. I understand it depends on how many instances you use on project etc.
    Any advice?
    Go with 16Gb?

16 gigs should be fine

• Yes totally agree about the 16G.

In my experience, having a big load of extra RAM was more important with spinning hard disks as virtual memory is far more wfficient with SSDs.

My MBP has 16G and I’ve never noticed a need for more. Not even with Logic running multiple Reason racks full of devices.

• Now is really the time to wait and see what happens in music land on Macs and Ipads.
    Wait if you can.

• Got mb 16 with 32 gb and a mb 15 with 16gb and sincerely I can not see a difference in reactivity that justify the major cash😂👍👍😂 unfortunately every time I have to test myself before understand that I have wasted my money😂

• @qryss said:
    You will love the 16” 2019 MBP. I use one and it’s the best I’ve ever had. And it has a keyboard you can actually use - instead of the previous butterfly type. Yay!

Yeah cheers, can’t wait- it’s coming tomorrow

• @barabajagal said:

@qryss said:

Yeah cheers, can’t wait- it’s coming tomorrow

I’ve got the 16” base model with 16gb. Using it for work, not music, but it’s been great, and the screen is lovely.

• For music, 16gb. Less work more fun.

• Oh my god I wanna say it too. I have the 16" MBP with 16GB, and it works awesome. Best laptop I've ever had, decent keys FINALLY!

• edited September 2020

@Tarekith said:
    Oh my god I wanna say it too. I have the 16" MBP with 16GB, and it works awesome. Best laptop I've ever had, decent keys FINALLY!

Which model you have?
    i7 or i9?

I heard they are not compatible with Ableton Live9. Is it true?

• @chandroji said:

@Tarekith said:
    Oh my god I wanna say it too. I have the 16" MBP with 16GB, and it works awesome. Best laptop I've ever had, decent keys FINALLY!

Which model you have?
    i7 or i9?

I heard they are not compatible with Ableton Live9. Is it true?

Can't confirm v9, but v10 running on mine fine.

• I9 here. Should work fine with Live 9, though I've been on version 10 since it came out. As long as the OS it comes with is compatible, should be no issue.