Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

THU—Holy Grail for Fender sound

Comments

• @raabje said:
    I have bought the Tone Impera rig for 13 euro, that is aprox 6 euro discount. The Twin65 is also discounted, but the Twin Edge model is not. I think I should hold back, I have no real need for the Twin65 (I own Bassman, Trem63, Super Reverb, & Dang rig).

Tone Impera “pristine clean” preset with a neck pickup 🤌

• @espiegel123 said:

@raabje said:
    I have bought the Tone Impera rig for 13 euro, that is aprox 6 euro discount. The Twin65 is also discounted, but the Twin Edge model is not. I think I should hold back, I have no real need for the Twin65 (I own Bassman, Trem63, Super Reverb, & Dang rig).

Does anyone know if the Bogie MKV price ($19.99) is a discount of the normal price?

I think it’s usually 26.99

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:

@raabje said:

Tone Impera “pristine clean” preset with a neck pickup 🤌

Yes I just did that, had to raise the gain a little bit. Sounded pretty good. I went through the presets and also through the rig, feels like a luxury to have all this good sounding options inside my little Ipad. From that point of view I should get the Twin65 too, instead of dragging a 50 kg amplifier in my house.

I forgot to use my THU rig amps for a while, the mind is a laser beam, you can only focus on one thing, and forget about the rest. The rigs sound different than the Nembrini amps, a bit more gentle perhaps, I hear more string separation. But it is just an impression, I didn´t do a A to B test.

• I just bought the Brit 1987 for (one of the) Marshall sounds. The 13 euro price point still feels (a bit) like a bargain.

• edited September 2022

The new Film projector rig is nice. Actually all the BM rigs are worth the cash.

Can’t wait to try IK Tonex tho….

• @bobbyj8866 said:
    The new Film projector rig is nice. Actually all the BM rigs are worth the cash.

Nice - I've got the Walrus Audio 385 pedal which is also an emulation of the Fimlmosound 385 projector, I really love that sound.

• I love THU. What excites me about Tonex is the forthcoming ability to do our own captures of such things to make our own rigs in Tonex.

• @richardyot said:

@bobbyj8866 said:

Nice - I've got the Walrus Audio 385 pedal which is also an emulation of the Fimlmosound 385 projector, I really love that sound.

That is a surprisingly great pedal. It does great things to another overdrive or distortion stacked after it as well. It almost feels like an amp simulator itself, with its response to dynamics. Walrus has a solid quality baseline, but this and the Julia are probably their best offerings.

• @oat_phipps said:

@richardyot said:

@bobbyj8866 said:

That is a surprisingly great pedal. It does great things to another overdrive or distortion stacked after it as well. It almost feels like an amp simulator itself, with its response to dynamics. Walrus has a solid quality baseline, but this and the Julia are probably their best offerings.

I guess it is an amp simulator, since it's modelling a projector amp - but yes it sounds great, it's like a souped-up Tube Screamer, with some gorgeous tones. I'm a Walrus fanboy, I've got 4 of their pedals (the 385, the R1, D1, and M1) and they're all awesome.

Going back to the new projector rig in TH-U, the video demos sound a bit too bright and trebly for me, not quite the tone I'm looking for. The Walrus pedal sounds nicer IMO.

• I find in the real world they are for sure not too bright with EMG Fat 55 HB.

• edited September 2022

I've been away from recording for a while and am wondering what's new in THU. Are there any rigs that focus on clean and nasty vintage tones? I've browsed the rig sound samples but it's mostly blues and blues-rock. I'm looking for "nasty cleans" that can also verge into crunchy/hairy.
    Think surf/rockabilly/spaghetti western type stuff without a lot of slots wasted for metal or heavy distortion which I listen to but don't play. Someone here once recommended the Singleman model for baritone spaghetti western tones and it didn't disappoint. Anything else? I'm also open to suggestions for something outside of THU.

• @Sabicas said:
    Anything else? I'm also open to suggestions for something outside of THU.

Nembrini Faceman. Stick the Clon Minotaur or the PSA 1000 JR (or other) in front of it if you need more nastiness.

https://apps.apple.com/app/faceman-2-channel-head/id1610991540
    https://apps.apple.com/app/clon-minotaur-overdrive/id1562822809
    https://apps.apple.com/app/psa1000-jr/id1498486583

• edited September 2022

@Sabicas said:
    Think surf/rockabilly/spaghetti western type stuff without a lot of slots wasted for metal or heavy distortion which I listen to but don't play. Someone here once recommended the Singleman model for baritone spaghetti western tones and it didn't disappoint. Anything else? I'm also open to suggestions for something outside of THU.

Surf/Rockabilly/Spaghetti Western (Morricone?), I have the idea THU Fender Tremolux could do the job. But that is maybe because of the name of the amp, some kind of association. With lots of reverb. But I could be wrong. I have this rig, I should fire it up one of these days.

• @richardyot said:

@oat_phipps said:

@richardyot said:

@bobbyj8866 said:

I guess it is an amp simulator, since it's modelling a projector amp - but yes it sounds great, it's like a souped-up Tube Screamer, with some gorgeous tones. I'm a Walrus fanboy, I've got 4 of their pedals (the 385, the R1, D1, and M1) and they're all awesome.

Going back to the new projector rig in TH-U, the video demos sound a bit too bright and trebly for me, not quite the tone I'm looking for. The Walrus pedal sounds nicer IMO.

Nice. I wish I hadn’t already had a stereo setup by the time they released those Makos, or I would’ve leapt at those. Guitar pedals are just too expensive to keep up; I had to force myself to stop once I had one of everything I liked.

Did also want to mention the Walrus flanger, though. It is another really top-notch one. The Lillian phaser was a little too weak and subtle for me, so I went back to the Phase 90. I’ve probably had half their stuff along the way, and that’s really the only one that isn’t great.

• edited September 2022

Thanks for the input. I'm doing some catching up.

Does anyone have an opinion on the a la carte AQTX spring reverb model in THU? Has anyone compared it to the Eventide Spring AU or AltiSpace 2, Thafknar?

The Singleman built-in spring emulation is great, but it's one knob so no tweaking. Also, I'd like to add spring reverb to other amp sims.

In general, which of the THU effects are notable hits and/or misses?

• I’m pretty sold on thu now. I plugged in today and maybe my tinnitus was just not acting up as much today but I really just noticed a very fizzy, tinny sound with all my Nembrini sims and then decided to compare it with overloud and it just sounded so much better. I guess I’ll have to ignore how much I’ve spent on Nembrini and finally spend some money on this app.

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    I’m pretty sold on thu now. I plugged in today and maybe my tinnitus was just not acting up as much today but I really just noticed a very fizzy, tinny sound with all my Nembrini sims and then decided to compare it with overloud and it just sounded so much better. I guess I’ll have to ignore how much I’ve spent on Nembrini and finally spend some money on this app.

Nembrini’s adjusted right (which included picking the right IR) won’t sound fizzy. Their built-in IRs have a lot of variability …some are pretty fizzy. I usually use the same a OwnHammer IRs with THU and Nembrini amps and find them all in the same ballpark.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Fingolfinzz said:
    I’m pretty sold on thu now. I plugged in today and maybe my tinnitus was just not acting up as much today but I really just noticed a very fizzy, tinny sound with all my Nembrini sims and then decided to compare it with overloud and it just sounded so much better. I guess I’ll have to ignore how much I’ve spent on Nembrini and finally spend some money on this app.

Nembrini’s adjusted right (which included picking the right IR) won’t sound fizzy. Their built-in IRs have a lot of variability …some are pretty fizzy. I usually use the same a OwnHammer IRs with THU and Nembrini amps and find them all in the same ballpark.

Thank you, I’ll go back and check cos I normally just use Thafknar with Ownhammer IRs with the Nembrini sims but didn’t load it this time cos I just wanted a quick setup. But that would definitely explain why I only heard it this time

• @Sabicas said:

Does anyone have an opinion on the a la carte AQTX spring reverb model in THU? Has anyone compared it to the Eventide Spring AU or AltiSpace 2, Thafknar?

The Singleman built-in spring emulation is great, but it's one knob so no tweaking. Also, I'd like to add spring reverb to other amp sims.

If anyone is interested, I have an answer for part of my question. I bought the Altispace 2 app and compared the spring reverbs (about a dozen) settings against the THU reverb sim in the Brunetti Singleman amp. It's not even close. The THU sim sounds so much better that I then bought the a la carte AQTX spring reverb effect and found it to be a the same excellent quality. It's still not as dynamic as a real spring reverb tank but it's a valiant effort.

• @Sabicas said:

@Sabicas said:

If anyone is interested, I have an answer for part of my question. I bought the Altispace 2 app and compared the spring reverbs (about a dozen) settings against the THU reverb sim in the Brunetti Singleman amp. It's not even close. The THU sim sounds so much better that I then bought the a la carte AQTX spring reverb effect and found it to be a the same excellent quality. It's still not as dynamic as a real spring reverb tank but it's a valiant effort.

Have you tried the VCS3 spring?

• Have you tried the VCS3 spring?

Looks like a synth app.

• TONEX has a number of clean Fender models for free. I’m going to check them out today and report back…

• I much prefer THU. Of course, by that I mean the ChopTones etc captures. No comparison in my tests.

• I go the other way on that, and I own all the Choptone Fender captures. As noted by Flo in his video, Tonex FEELS like a real amp. Especially on Cleans.

• @bobbyj8866 said:
    I go the other way on that, and I own all the Choptone Fender captures. As noted by Flo in his video, Tonex FEELS like a real amp. Especially on Cleans.

If the free models are representative, I think whether one or the other feels like a real amp is a matter of preference. I don’t find the free TONEX models to feel more real than THU or Nembrini.

• One thing to remember with Flo is that often his first impression of a new rig app is typically extremely positive. Then with abundant playing time, his opinion tends to change. One example would be GE-Labs, which followed this same pattern.

That’s not saying this will be the case here with Tolex, but just something to consider. I’m really looking forward to @JoyceRoadStudios take. Typically between him and Flo, one can obtain a pretty good overall evaluation of a new app.

• Agree with the last few comments. I trust @JoyceRoadStudios’ golden ears more than Flo’s. Good point also that sound is not necessary the same as feel.

• At least through my setup, the Choptones Fender Twin is muscular. Tonex sounds puny.

• Do THU rigs and packs ever go on sale?

• @Sabicas said:
    Do THU rigs and packs ever go on sale?

They are on sale now for desktop and you get Thu essentials free. Plus any rig you buy on desktop you can then purchase on iOS for 1 dollar.