Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

THU—Holy Grail for Fender sound

Comments

• This must be a first!

Soon, you’ll be talking about yourself in the third person! 😉

But seriously, thanks so much for digging into this beast and revealing just what it can and cannot do. 👍🏻

• @JoyceRoadStudios thanks for the research 🧐.
    Yeah, you might have a point there. Right now, I’m plugging into an Art DPS Tube pre which is what i use for recording my Vocals & instruments into my cheap beringher UC202 audio interface. It really does add tube warmth to everything.

They do sell smaller one channel versions that are built like a tank, but i haven’t looked into those in years. Now you got me thinking i might need one cause it could be what’s warming up my guitar before going into the box.

• edited January 2022

This little gadget should the job to warm up your guitar tone!
    Going out to FOH should be fine then as tone has been fully processed in the box to taste. 🎸❤️👍🏼

I have the dual channel one got a long time ago but works awesome!

• @SNystrom said:

This must be a first!

But seriously, thanks so much for digging into this beast and revealing just what it can and cannot do. 👍🏻

LOL yeah when I saw this advertised today I thought “wow this thing could be top dog for tube amp and amp sim integration”. But after reading about it and watching a few demos it’s actually quite behind the times and already there are better options on the market…

• Very disappointing, but thanks again for taking the time to investigate it. Hopefully they will be open to making the adjustments needed to make this hugely valuable!

• edited January 2022

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@mistercharlie said:
    One question: the rigs that sit in that special rig loader, you can’t add your own IR, is that right?

@mistercharlie yes and no, it’s a cumbersome implementation. You cannot load your own IR into the actual rig player, it doesn’t have that feature. But you simply turn off “cab power” inside the rig player, and add any of the cabinet sim modules in the chain right after the rig player, and load the IR that way, and save your preset or whatever. As you know, the IR loader on iOS is free and can be accessed inside any of the cabinet modules. Each module has a dual IR loader and you can add as many IRs as you want really until the cpu overloads. So you can choose literally any cabinet, the one that looks the best to you, it doesn’t matter, and load IRs that way. I had like 5 cabs doing 10 IRs in there once just for fun and it didn’t crash. And I think on desktop this implementation is better, but anyway, this how you add your own IRs to the rig player and stay in the box.

Oh and one important thing, sometimes if you turn off “cab power” in one rig profile and have your own IR going, but then you cycle up and down through different rig profiles, the cab power doesn’t stay off and turns back on because you’re in a different preset. So you’ll be hearing the rig IR and your IRs. So always check that the “cab power” remains off as you browse. Actually I’m gonna write overloud and ask for a “cab power always off” option on the rig player, like a lock-in feature…

AFAIK, overloud's rigs should be used olny with the cabinet with which they were made. Switching off cabinet inside the rig and putting another IR on top of it doesn't sound good at all (muddy lows and closed highend - not quite but almost like 2 cabs in series). THU's profiles are not direct, meaning that switching the cab off results in artificial odd sound which doesn't represent how the real amp sounds direct. So you could get much better result by using rig libraries files as is.

But some Rigs are developed and saved without cabinet. I found that such 'direct' rigs are included to any LRS Libraries. For example here is description of LRS The Legend

I have this library. Such 'Direct Rigs' looks like:

And here example how this preset sounds in the mix:

• I get too much hiss out of mine. Not humm, hiss. Other than that I like it OK,

• @Kranick said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@mistercharlie said:
    One question: the rigs that sit in that special rig loader, you can’t add your own IR, is that right?

@mistercharlie yes and no, it’s a cumbersome implementation. You cannot load your own IR into the actual rig player, it doesn’t have that feature. But you simply turn off “cab power” inside the rig player, and add any of the cabinet sim modules in the chain right after the rig player, and load the IR that way, and save your preset or whatever. As you know, the IR loader on iOS is free and can be accessed inside any of the cabinet modules. Each module has a dual IR loader and you can add as many IRs as you want really until the cpu overloads. So you can choose literally any cabinet, the one that looks the best to you, it doesn’t matter, and load IRs that way. I had like 5 cabs doing 10 IRs in there once just for fun and it didn’t crash. And I think on desktop this implementation is better, but anyway, this how you add your own IRs to the rig player and stay in the box.

Oh and one important thing, sometimes if you turn off “cab power” in one rig profile and have your own IR going, but then you cycle up and down through different rig profiles, the cab power doesn’t stay off and turns back on because you’re in a different preset. So you’ll be hearing the rig IR and your IRs. So always check that the “cab power” remains off as you browse. Actually I’m gonna write overloud and ask for a “cab power always off” option on the rig player, like a lock-in feature…

AFAIK, overloud's rigs should be used olny with the cabinet with which they were made. Switching off cabinet inside the rig and putting another IR on top of it doesn't sound good at all (muddy lows and closed highend - not quite but almost like 2 cabs in series). THU's profiles are not direct, meaning that switching the cab off results in artificial odd sound which doesn't represent how the real amp sounds direct. So you could get much better result by using rig libraries files as is.

But some Rigs are developed and saved without cabinet. I found that such 'direct' rigs are included to any LRS Libraries. For example here is description of LRS The Legend

I have this library. Such 'Direct Rigs' looks like:

And here example how this preset sounds in the mix:

This is worth investigating for sure, because while I think you may be right, it could also just be buggy inconsistencies inside profiles, because Overloud YouTube demos and the devs in emails claim the cab power off rigs become direct as expected. I also understand the argument of “why even include those “direct” rigs if any rig can be direct in theory when cabless”. So yeah that’s strange. I also think the design where you can’t actually load IRs into the rig player but you can into the cab sims perhaps implies it’s meant for the sims.

But I’m not so sure. @Kranick when you say adding an IR to a “no cab” rig sounds bad, are you using Thafknar or another app for your IR, or loading them in th-u. I ask because the th-u ir loader is really funky with those default lpf/hpf/respire settings, and the dual loader can be a bit confusing to mix, so it may sound bad for another reason than you think.

Also when you say the profiles should be used only with the cab they were made with… what about the fact that in the rig player you can switch the “matched cab” IR to any other IR from any other profile in the rig. Doesn’t that prove that the rig IRs are completely interchangeable? That would be a really useless feature if those profiles aren’t actually direct.

To be honest, I rarely if ever use my own IRs with the th-u rigs. I do think they sound good as presented, and there are so many shades of the same profile, one can usually find the right sounding IR in there. I only have 3 of my favorite Ownhammers saved inside th-u, and only in a few rig presets. But for the sims in th-u, I use those three IRs 100% of the time. And with Nembrini I use my own IRs in Thafknar 95% of the time.

• Thanks Wim. I don’t have that unit but was thinking in case for a future pedalboard build. Right now, I’m gonna first use what I have until it stops working or i have more time to tinker with a new setup. Got so much to learn with midi setup in THU plus recording backing tracks. One day at a time.🎸👍🏼

@wim said:

I get too much hiss out of mine. Not humm, hiss. Other than that I like it OK,

• edited January 2022

@JoyceRoadStudios I don't use my own IR here. I have several SuperCabinet IR Libraries on desktop and use the same presets in iOS. Don't why SuperCabinet is not opened on iOS, but it definitely works perfect [on iOS] :smile: You could download this preset from my DropBox and try it yourself (here I use two IRs).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4ectorprs2kafj/THU_Legend_Clean1.ovp?dl=0

Here is my SuperCabinet's preset opened on desktop:

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:

Also when you say the profiles should be used only with the cab they were made with… what about the fact that in the rig player you can switch the “matched cab” IR to any other IR from any other profile in the rig. Doesn’t that prove that the rig IRs are completely interchangeable? That would be a really useless feature if those profiles aren’t actually direct.

I understand that Rig = 'Preset how it have to be used'. So if they published it with some cabinet and setting, the best sound you could achieve only with this cabinet and these settings. Yes. sure you could add some new effects to it, but it would be better not tweak Rig itself.

• Regarding pedals before sims, I have used an Eventide Mixing link for years. It has a switchable FX loop, and line/mic out via XLR. It’s super useful. I have it at the start of my pedalboard with all other pedals in the loop. The mic out goes to my mixer. From there I can listen, or turn on the computer and record.

In theory I could also send audio out from Ableton and through the guitar pedals, but I never had good results with that.

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:

@SNystrom said:

This must be a first!

LOL yeah when I saw this advertised today I thought “wow this thing could be top dog for tube amp and amp sim integration”. But after reading about it and watching a few demos it’s actually quite behind the times and already there are better options on the market…

Slight off topic question but I was wondering if you had any advice on an iOS app to run guitars and vocals through that would have a nice warming affect or if anyone has this as part of tehir process. I have all the compressors fabfilter and ddmf etc. I’m just not very good (or probably enthused enough to become so) with boxes,

I recently got a motu 4 for example. I was choosing between it and the UA Volt and the descriptions of the volt sounded ideal… then I listened to it and didn’t find the compressor or vintage modes did anythung really or added any warmth. But I do really love more real world adjustments in tone (been in and out of studios recording vocals guitars pianos Etc for years and im used to much more pronounced warmth/coldness differences).

Actually as an aside, the biggest difference maker for warmth cold in terms of equipment in my experience is probably the size and wall materials of the recording room lol

• About this "no cab" text in the rig player. I have experienced more than a few times, when browsing capture files with the left/right buttons, this text is shown on the screen. With all my bought rigs.

After I restore my purchases the cab files are working again. Are others familiar with this bug?

• @Kranick said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

I understand that Rig = 'Preset how it have to be used'. So if they published it with some cabinet and setting, the best sound you could achieve only with this cabinet and these settings. Yes. sure you could add some new effects to it, but it would be better not tweak Rig itself.

I don’t always feel that the rig’s cans are superior sounding to an IR. The choptones rigs are great, but with some of the thi rig bundles, I usually prefer an IR to the rig cabinets.

• I think for me the advantage of the native cab files in Choptones Rigs (all I own) is more variety in sound when you browse through the files, this helps me to get creative. And the rigs are more "vintage correct". For what it is worth of course.

When you have a certain sound in your mind, your own IR files will help with this.

• @raabje said:
    About this "no cab" text in the rig player. I have experienced more than a few times, when browsing capture files with the left/right buttons, this text is shown on the screen. With all my bought rigs.

After I restore my purchases the cab files are working again. Are others familiar with this bug?

I posted about this bug but didn't get much response from others here. It does it on all my rigs with the exception of 1x12 cabs and 4x10s, I do think it's just a graphic bug. If you actually turn off cab power when it says no cab you can definitely hear the sound change. I sent a message to overloud and Red responded with "we couldn't reproduce this" please send a video of this happening. I did and have not heard anything back. So I just ignore it.

• @Bootsy said:

@raabje said:
    About this "no cab" text in the rig player. I have experienced more than a few times, when browsing capture files with the left/right buttons, this text is shown on the screen. With all my bought rigs.

I posted about this bug but didn't get much response from others here. It does it on all my rigs with the exception of 1x12 cabs and 4x10s, I do think it's just a graphic bug. If you actually turn off cab power when it says no cab you can definitely hear the sound change. I sent a message to overloud and Red responded with "we couldn't reproduce this" please send a video of this happening. I did and have not heard anything back. So I just ignore it.

Yup I’ve sent this “no cab” inconsistency to them before. In fact, I think I was the one who actually asked them to implement “no cab” graphic in an update last year, because before that it was unclear visually that the cab was turned off.

I can reproduce these inconsistencies as well, so I think on iOS that’s the kind of bug that takes a while to fix, because I’ve noticed so many rigs have their own separate sets of bugs. In theory everything works, it’s just the visual implementation is buggy.

• @Bootsy said

thanks Bootsy, JoyceRoad, I only thought, what the heck is this, I didn´t check if the sound was wrong with no cab. So it is only a picture that is missing. Good to know.

My theory was it could be pressing left/right too fast, and the file management system couldn´t catch up to load the cab (or it´s picture in this case). But I think it will happen randomly.

• Thanks Kranick! How do you apply the IR to the super Cab? Or does the preset itself contain it?

@Kranick said:
    @JoyceRoadStudios I don't use my own IR here. I have several SuperCabinet IR Libraries on desktop and use the same presets in iOS. Don't why SuperCabinet is not opened on iOS, but it definitely works perfect [on iOS] :smile: You could download this preset from my DropBox and try it yourself (here I use two IRs).

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Thanks Kranick! How do you apply the IR to the super Cab? Or does the preset itself contain it?

@Kranick said:

My preset contain these IRs. I don't know why, but now you can't tweak IRs within SuperCabinet on iOS. But at the same time you could use on iOS any IRs, that were saved as desktop's presets within SuperCabinet. So I'm sure that you could use this preset on your device irrespective regardless of whether they were previously purchased by you on desktop or not.

• @Kranick said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    Thanks Kranick! How do you apply the IR to the super Cab? Or does the preset itself contain it?

@Kranick said:

My preset contain these IRs. I don't know why, but now you can't tweak IRs within SuperCabinet on iOS. But at the same time you could use on iOS any IRs, that were saved as desktop's presets within SuperCabinet. So I'm sure that you could use this preset on your device irrespective regardless of whether they were previously purchased by you on desktop or not.

I think you would still need the IR. The preset may not contain the actual IR.

• edited January 2022

@espiegel123 , I think you could download this preset and check yourself. It works on my iPad with all IRs within, but sure I didn’t purchase any of them on ios.

• Loaded it to an empty favorites slot.
    The preset opened up with the SDrive One pedal, the Legend rig was locked, then the Super Cab is there, then locked magnetic delay effects, AQTX spring reverb,

The preset played ok and i can tell a difference in sound when i turn off the super cabinet.

@Kranick said:
    @espiegel123 , I think you could download this preset and check yourself. It works on my iPad with all IRs within, but sure I didn’t purchase any of them on ios.

• @Kranick said:

hard to tell what the super IR is loading. The preset is only 60k and no info about the loaded IR is provided..

• I could prepare another preset with gear that included to regular bundles and Supercabinet IRs. If anybody wants to test, I will share it tomorrow.

• edited January 2022

Wow! Got the Vintage Classics 1. First impression: Loving the Clean Dumbles! Nothing else in there so far. Dialing my tone bigtime with chorus, delay and light reverb.
    Sooo glad they did the Dumble clean! Almost feels like I’m listening to my Blues Deluxe Clean overdriven a bit. Does clean up as I lower the volume. But yeah, some of the other ones in there do feel kind of blanketed somehow, but not the Dumble to my happy surprise! ❤️❤️❤️

Ps, Music Mans were spot on though! I owned one and I definitely heard it come alive in there! Mine caught on fire so i sadly had to destroy it, but kept most of the hardware including my Music Man logo.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Wow! Got the Vintage Classics 1. First impression: Loving the Clean Dumbles! Nothing else in there so far. Dialing my tone bigtime with chorus, delay and light reverb.
    Sooo glad they did the Dumble clean! Almost feels like I’m listening to my Blues Deluxe Clean overdriven a bit. Does clean up as I lower the volume. But yeah, some of the other ones in there do feel kind of blanketed somehow, but not the Dumble to my happy surprise! ❤️❤️❤️

Ps, Music Mans were spit on though! I owned one and I definitely heard it come alive in there! Mine caught on fire so i sadly had to destroy it, but kept most of the hardware including my Music Man logo.

FWIW, the THU rigs in most of those bundles are inferior to the standalone rigs. For clean to crunchy "dumble-ish" sounds, I think the standalone bassman and Dang rigs are exceptional.

• @espiegel123 yeah, i had feared that before buying the Vintage Collection, but it’s the only one that has a true Dumble capture. That is a very expensive amp from LA California, love the sound of the clean capture though; will check out Dang or Bassman someday!