Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

THU—Holy Grail for Fender sound

Comments

• No guitar gain knob??? 😳

How could that possibly be?

Every device I've ever researched has one.

That's like buying a car that has no brakes...

• edited October 2020

@SNystrom said:
    No guitar gain knob??? 😳

Yes, no gain knob for the guitar input, confirmed by customer service, to ensure “pure and perfect guitar channel signal with no preamp”. They expect you to use apps like GE Labs, Bias, Amplitube, Nembrini, and turn down the input level sliders inside the apps. But there’s some dark art going on. Because with all those apps I can push the input level +3db, but it only distorts if the output level exceeds 0db. I think the input slider is not actually turning down the device’s input gain, but simply the volume of the received signal, and somebody is applying a peak limiter.
    The problem is with apps like AUM, Audiobus, Cubasis 3, MTD, Auria Pro, the device takes over and doesn’t allow you access to the app’s input gain setting. This is common with IAA apps like Ge Labs that also disable AUM’s gain setting, and this device is marketed or work with those IAA guitar apps. And forget about using TH-U, since it doesn’t have an input gain setting and I can’t lower it in AUM. But there’s something going on with a brick wall limiter or something. AUM meter shows 0db in always, and the output meter shows whatever input and output setting you made in the guitar app, added together. So if I set Ge Labs for -5 in and -10 out, AUM shows 0 in and -15 out and not a fraction above. It’s so weird. It’s like inputs acting as outputs and vica versa.

My apogee jam plus has a rotary gain knob that doesn’t go low enough, but the device allows for lowering gain in AUM and it actually does it, and I still have use of the iPad’s volume buttons. With Xtone, the iPad buttons are disabled and you can only use the output volume knob on the device. I think there are interfaces that don’t have dedicated gain knobs and expect you to do it inside a daw. But yes even the professional entry level interfaces like motu, ssl, scarlett, all usually have dedicated gain knobs for each input.

I’m trying to make it work, it is a great device, but I may need to go with something else in my situation.

• @SNystrom said:
    No guitar gain knob??? 😳

There is a little bit of a mystery. Someone has reported that GE Labs and Bias FX are both able to adjust the input gain while Audiobus and AUM can't.

• edited October 2020

@tahiche said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@steve99 said:

@tahiche said:
    Hi!,
    I asked in a previous comment but now I’m attaching a screen capture to illustrate.
    The Octaver pedal sounds terrible, worbly and unusable. If it wasn’t software I’d think I got a faulty unit. The legacy Octaver, which I didn’t know existed, sounds OK but has no dry/wet, which I need to make 2 lanes via mixer, one for guitar one for Octaver.
    I tried normalizing the signal, switching High/Low sensitivity, to no avail. The fact that the legacy version sounds ok is even weirder.

>

Would appreciate your comments. Cheers.

I’m no expert here, but I use the Octaver in all my presets and it does the job for me. I’ve not tweaked it at all, I just kick it in and out for looping bass parts.

I use octavers for the same purpose in other amp sims, and this one holds up for me, I’ve never had a ‘real’ one though (assuming line 6 pods don’t count).

I also like it when it’s in a factory preset, so no complaints here. Next time I play (now hopefully) I’ll give it more of a critical ear.

@tahiche I made you a little video of several modulators. I think you have a good point, the octaver pedal warbles and jumps back and forth from octave to octave, which isn’t what the Boss pedals do unless the battery is running low or the source material has a lot of harmonic overtone content. I think this actually could be a processing defect in the way the pedal receives the harmonic content, or maybe even undetectable latency is making the pedal act whacky. I can clearly hear it jumping back and forth and warbling. But the other thing is, some people actually desire that warbling effect in their octave pedal, so it may be deliberate. Because the other modulators in TH-U don’t do that.

So you’ll notice the same issue with my octaver and legacy octaver, but check out the harmonizer, it’s awesome. It even has separate octave lanes that can both go +2 or -2 so you can have the same low octave doubled if you want. Plus the harmonization option is really good. I use this rack a lot. Then the pitch shifter which also gets you solid octave options and then some. Then take a look at FAC Chorus, it’s not an exact octave but the Fifthiver preset sounds amazing to me. Also tonestack doom and gloom. And lastly the octave pedal in GE Labs is... horrible! That’s not on octave that’s a tremolo pedal!

You are bound to have a few duds in the TH-U collection. I actually don’t mind the Octaver, but it clearly can’t sound two notes at once or not act whacky. Putting the fuzzrace or compressor in front of it makes it better. All fx for $23 and all distortions for $23 is still a steal. Yes there’s about 10 percent of them I really don’t like.

Also found a bug in the TH-U octaver. When you you place it into the chain, the cabinet suddenly shows a small image of a speaker that’s crossed out, which is the sign for the cabinet being turned off, but the cabinet is not turned off. It only happens when adding the octaver and not the other pedals, definitely some sort of bug.

@JoyceRoadStudios wanted to comment on the Octaver issue. I contacted Overloud support, sent my video regarding the low quality of the Octaver pedal. I was asking if maybe they could trade the Octaver for one of the other shifters that sound ok.
    Their answer was that the Octaver is a replica of the Boss OC3 (that was obvious), that’s it’s monophonic and, basically, that the Octaver is perfectly good.
    I don’t own an OC-3. I do own a Tc-electronic SubN’Up (which has a “classic” monophonic setting), the VoiceLive 3 shifter and the Helix all monophonic... none of them sound warbly. When fed not purely monophonic material they might glitch and do weird stuff, but it’s musical. The Thu Octaver is warbly in a bad way, no happy accidents.
    Just tested the Octaver in ToneStack, which definitely looks like another OC-3 clone. It sounds good, not warbly, tested with the exact same guitar phrase.
    Here’s a screen cap comparing both:

I’m very disappointed at the response from Overloud. Yes, I know you modeled a pedal, I know that pedal is monophonic, but this sounds terrible. Does anyone own an OC-3 and can tell me if this is how it’d sound?. Doubt it.
    What’s the “Legacy Octaver” modeled after?. Cos that one sounds fine. I find the response somehow condescending.
    It was my first purchase, Funk pack and Toon Fox fuzz pedal. I didn’t like the Toon Fox, but I see that might be subjective to taste, I’m not gonna argue if it’s modeled right or not. The Octaver is not ok, and the “it’s modeled after a OC-3 answer is not ok either when you’re seeing a video that sounds terrible.
    If I was them I would have given me a replacement Shifter as to acknowledge my complaint was legitimate. I’m no expert on modeling but I do know when something doesn’t sound right.
    So yeah, I don’t feel like spending any more money on THU, specially given how you can’t test anything beforehand.
    It’s a shame. Cheers

I’m sorry that you had this experience. I have written to Overloud several times over the last few months with bug reports and suggestions, and they have always responded in a receptive and professional manner. I actually think highly of them for this reason, and I’m sorry you had the opposite experience. Frankly, looking at the actual Boss OC3 and how it’s laid out, the th-u pedal is not that at all, to me it is clearly the OC2. The OC3 has polyphonic option and many more settings, and OC2 is just like the th-u one. So I’m baffled by this. An octave pedal will certainly react like this with warble and jumping around if the battery is almost dead or if there’s too much harmonic content and not enough fundamental. I went back and played two guitars with all kinds I different settings, tone rolled off, etc... I was able to tame the warble a little but it was still always there. It’s almost deliberate, because some people actually want this type of haywire octaver as an effect. But they should at least state that, or maybe even say they modelled this pedal after one with a dead battery. What actually baffles me is that it’s not the OC3 at all! But my guess for why this happens is actually that’s it’s the harmonic content generated by different interfaces and instruments in the digital domain and how the sound trails off. It’s the trail off causing the pedal to freak out. if that’s not a deliberate design, that’s pretty whack. Ok so it’s monophonic, but if I play two higher notes on different strings alternating back and forth, neither note sounds and it becomes a static warble. So I will write to them about it. If you don’t want to continue using the app, that’s your call. These devs are active and responsive, it’s too bad they were defensive with you.

• @JoyceRoadStudios, have you considered returning the X-Tone, since it sounds like it arrived in used conditional begin with?

Or has the return period expired already?

Seriously, who needs to risk cutting ones fingers while adjusting a silly knob...

• @SNystrom said:
    @JoyceRoadStudios, have you considered returning the X-Tone, since it sounds like it arrived in used conditional begin with?

Or has the return period expired already?

Seriously, who needs to risk cutting ones fingers while adjusting a silly knob...

I’ve got 30 days minus the few days I’ve had it, and I reported the issue before I even plugged it in. I was hoping for a “less than new” discount to be enticed to keep it, but they replied unequivocally promising that it was brand new. Fine, I don’t want to be a shitty customer especially if the device works perfectly. I want and need to love this product. This thing is hot shit. But, I’m thinking that it may not fulfill my needs the way a bonafide 2in 2 out audio interface would, to which I would just add a midi foot controller like blueboard or actition. It’s possible that a combo interface and midi thing that belongs both on a desk and on the floor may actually create more annoyances than solutions. As a live guitar device to use with iOS and send to front of house, no brainer, this thing would be great. I’m not one to bash things. I’m going to give it a few more days to see if I can overcome the lack of gain knob. Because it does sound really good, both on guitar and vocals, no worse than my apogee jam +, which is known for pristine quality. Xtone customer support exists on Facebook messenger, it’s kind of convenient actually. They totally nerded out with me, language barrier and all. I may actually simply downgrade from pro to regular and also get a desk interface. Something really funny.. with the device plugged into my iPad just for bus power and my headphones in the device, no guitar and no other cables of any kind, no apps open and all knobs at zero, I’m picking up a faint but obvious rock radio station signal, really faint but enough for me to be able to name the songs. I would guess there’s an improperly shielded wire in there...

I’m going Strat rat crazy btw, won a dark blue Johnson AXL Strat with emg designed single coils at goodwill.com for $60, looking at Peavey predators, Washburn force 3, and all the rest of the gutter trash...

• Well, @JoyceRoadStudios, you're definitely giving it everything you've got to try and make it work. The lack of a gain knob would have been a non-starter with me. Best of luck!

That rock radio radio reception is hilarious! Thank God you weren't receiving a retro 70's disco transmission...

So happy to hear you have fullly embraced the cheap Strat knock-off solution. Can't wait to hear your impressions of the various Overloud amps and rigs! Black Friday approacheth!

• So, no word here from Professor McD or @JoyceRoadStudios...

Are there no new insights? Or are you guys busy in deep exploration of your myriad rigs????

• @SNystrom said:
    So, no word here from Professor McD or @JoyceRoadStudios...

Are there no new insights? Or are you guys busy in deep exploration of your myriad rigs????

Honestly... there are so many presets to flip through and study. I'm just going to say
    it's a great app for guitar tone study. This thread provides everything you'll need to navigate
    purchasing options either in stages or in bundles.

Right now I'm digging deeper into GeoShred. It's just as deep but opens a world of modeled
    sounds and makes an iPad/iPhone surface as compelling as a guitar, violin or a horn.
    The combined thinking of moForte and SWAM is a powerhouse.

• Yeah, saw your GeoShred posts.

(Please don't tell @JoyceRoadStudios about that app!) 🤣

• So, thinking about what you said about so many presets to flip through, I was reminded of this video about creating a distinctive guitar tone:

Fast-forward to the 9:11 mark for some very interesting takes on why having hundreds of amps, effects and IR cabs might perhaps be obstructing us from finding our true signature voice on guitar...

• Been watching a lot of Rhett Shull videos and trying not to be envious and covetous. I love those Novo guitars.

• @SNystrom said:
    having hundreds of amps, effects and IR cabs might perhaps be obstructing us from finding our true signature voice on guitar...

Signature? I'm still doing those work sheets where you do block letters over the dotted Letter outlines. But I enjoy the process and that's enough. I have moments... Having a good tones for this drudgery and experimental play is really helpful. The tone inspires and informs the work. I could easily pay $110 for less than a month of lessons and I have. In the end it's the effort and focus you put into it.

• Quite true, professor, and I didn't meat any disrespect to you or any other guitar rig collectors.

I could totally relate to another guitar god (Steve Vai) who said he couldn't afford world-class amps when he was playing early-on, so he couldn't appreciate what a great amp could do to improve his tone. It was just a speaker to him.

Just wondering if we're all better or worse off with hundreds of option and limited time to explore, as opposed to having a truly great amp, cab and a couple effects and all the time in the world to extract the maximum benefit from those devices...

• edited October 2020

@SNystrom said:
    So, no word here from Professor McD or @JoyceRoadStudios...

Lately I’ve been in a wormhole of online goodwill auctions and hunting for Strat copies on Reverb and Craigslist and whatever else, and I have you to blame! A few days ago I found a local lady literally giving these away, I meant to get one but ended up getting all three. And guess what I brought to the sale... TH-U on my phone with headphones and my apogee. I’m embarrassed to say how cheap these were, I basically stole them.

Rare 1992 script logo Peavey Predator USA made, this was my “aha” Strat moment, the neck, the pickups, just stellar...

1994 USA Peavey Predator in good shape, way too cheap to turn down.

Brand new SX Hawk Strat copy, plastic still on pickguard, solid alder body and chunky maple neck, perfect mod platform.

Soon I’ll have as many guitars as TH-U rigs, one for every rig🤣🤣🤣

I’ve spent the last few days setting them up and deciding on upgrades. The Peaveys are stellar as they are, the SX will get a new trem block and prewired pickguard...

• Oh man! You hit the jackpot!!!

Congrats!!!

Yeah, I wish everyone brought their iPad/iPhone to test guitars. Hell if I worked at a music store I'd have six or seven to give to prospective customers so I wouldn't be driven crazy by their crappy playing!

Can't wait to hear about your favorite Single coil THU mps and rigs!

• @SNystrom said:
    Can't wait to hear about your favorite Single coil THU mps and rigs!

Yes... re-start the conversation by comparing classic guitars and how they impact the
    rankings.

Since you think your done I'll just mention a guitar with High Output pickups like the
    EMG's @flo26 uses. Just a thought for a future lull in the action.

I found this today and it made me want to see if I could get a similar tone and response
    in TH-U:

• @McD said:
    I found this today and it made me want to see if I could get a similar tone and response
    in TH-U:

That's beautiful, made me want to listen to some Stanley Jordan.

(This thread just keeps on going.)

• @pbelgium said:
    (This thread just keeps on going.)

Yes... I thought it was a stretch to hit 20 pages and it just keeps going.

We're going to get some single coil "Strat" clues and comparisons with
    the Les Paul soon so we're not quite dead yet.

• We could always start a separate thread.

Not just for "Strats," but single coil pups in general.

• @SNystrom said:
    We could always start a separate thread.

Not just for "Strats," but single coil pups in general.

No, let’s sing of single coils and may this thread last forever.

• If anything, fork Les Pauls.

• @audiobussy said:
    may this thread last forever.

It takes a lot of work to get it down to the dozen people that are still interested.

• edited October 2020

Well, I feel like I still have a lot to share. Just recently I added the Bassman to my collection. And I got the AC 30 shortly after the super reverb. I’m not sure but I’m thinking super reverb is still my favorite. But each one of these collections has so many distinctive offerings — They sound like completely different guitars or set ups

• @McD said:

@audiobussy said:
    may this thread last forever.

It takes a lot of work to get it down to the dozen people that are still interested.

You and Joyce road studio really carried this one. And it cost you.

• New build of Overloud is up now, improvements

• @bobbyj8866 said:
    New build of Overloud is up now, improvements

You beat me to it!

These frequent low fanfare upgrades are encouraging. Remastered cab settings are in the Master controls menu, the other enhancements are in the Global settings menu. Input gain control and IR loader can’t be too far behind, according to emails from Overloud devs. I really want that new Diezel rig but it’s too expensive atm. The new Vox rig is only $15 but it’s not choptones, so on the fence.

I have definitely noticed that some amps and rigs sound meh with humbuckers and awesome with single coils. Not quite sure why. I didn’t like the Suhr rig at first, but it’s really great with a Strat style guitar. Same with Nembrini Soundmaster, it really sounds better with single coils.

Speaking of Nembrini, the new Cali Dual also has functionality enhancements in standalone, mainly a new audio settings menu where you can select output routes, buffer and sample rate, and it even has a Bluetooth midi option now. It’s the only amp of theirs that has this menu. I don’t particularly love the tone on this amp compared to their earlier offerings, but it’s great to see that enhancements are always in the pipeline.

• edited November 2020

@JoyceRoadStudios What are your favorite rigs for single coil? Since buying the super reverb, I bought the Vox and the Bassman but I think the super is still my favorite

• Thanks for the update and review @JoyceRoadStudios!

Hoping you will be able to compile a list of rigs that are better for single-coil vs humbuckers in time for any Black Friday sales.

Been saving my pennies!

• edited November 2020

@audiobussy said:
    @JoyceRoadStudios What are your favorite rigs for single coil? Since buying the super reverb, I bought the Vox and the Bassman but I think the super is still my favorite

Not ready to make that proclamation yet, as I’m just beginning to go through the rigs with single coils. It is apparent though that some rigs that sounded wooly or muffled with humbuckers really open up with single coils, while other rigs can make the single coils sound really overparted and unnatural, especially when driven a little. Another wrench is that I’m currently rehabbing no less than 6 Strat style guitars, replacing an refiling nuts, rewiring pickups, adding better trem blocks, but my point is that there’s no one answer because each single coil I’m using has different outputs. So if a cheap Stagg pickup sounds horrible when driven, a Greg Bennett Malibu pickup really shines with the exact same amp. So I’m still figuring it out. I’m literally routing out an SX body right now to accommodate a deeper control switch, I’ve gone Strat crazy.

What I will say is that both with single coils and humbuckers the “rola drive” and “modified drive” presets in the Bassman rig menu sound amazing to me. Specifically if you play with the “modified drive” preset, it shows me that the 1970 Bassman rig handles distortion better, compared to the more vintage fender rig offerings. In my opinion anyway...