Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which Arduino sequencer?

I'm musing on the notion of making an Arduino-based sequencer that can drive the Korg Nu:Tekt NTS-1 in interesting midi ways.

A hurdle to overcome might be in the actual midi connection. Let’s pretend that’s not a problem.

Are there any interesting midi sequencers for Arduino (pref low-end Arduino, just the basic ATmega328P – I still have some Duemilanove unopened that need using (plus, I've chip-only ones on breadboard etc))?

By interesting I might mean something a bit further than a step sequencer, or maybe the sort of sequencer that does unpredictable or complex or systemic/generative/reactive things. I don’t know. Most of the Arduino midi sequencer projects I've been aware of over the years have been fairly crap, amounting to not much more than I used to do with a 555 and 4017 and a bunch of LEDs and slider pots when I was young.

Comments

• Popular search engines return a lot of nice projects when searching for
    "arduino midi sequencer github".

• The Teensy variant is probably suited better than plain Arduino.
    Midi support via USB seems quite extensive.
    No hands on experience yet, but did some research recently for a project (DIY Synclavier Knob) o:)

• I thought Sunvox runs on it but I was wrong. It actually runs on Raspberry Pi. The Arduino part of this portable synth seems to be used more for the controllers.

https://blog.arduino.cc/2020/02/11/the-zt-2020-is-a-portable-sunvox-synth/

• @rs2000 said:
    Popular search engines return a lot of nice projects when searching for

Yes, but if you search for "arduino midi sequencer github, that isn’t crap and isn't just a complicated way of doing what we used to do with a 555 and a 4017 and a bunch of LEDs and slider pots – I mean, kids these days can't even read a fucking circuit diagram now, it has to be a picture of the breadboard before they understand it" you don't get any results, which means there aren't any that aren't crap.

• @u0421793 said:

@rs2000 said:
    Popular search engines return a lot of nice projects when searching for

Yes, but if you search for "arduino midi sequencer github, that isn’t crap and isn't just a complicated way of doing what we used to do with a 555 and a 4017 and a bunch of LEDs and slider pots – I mean, kids these days can't even read a fucking circuit diagram now, it has to be a picture of the breadboard before they understand it" you don't get any results, which means there aren't any that aren't crap.

Well, you don't have much choice if you want others to do the work for you.

• What I really want, if I knew how, would be a completely functional replica of the Roland CSQ-600 (which is cv/gate). I’ve got a CSQ-600 in the attic, and it really is a marvellously usable sequencer. It’s just too big and valuable to bring down and actually use. It’d be superb to have a little mini equivalent to that.

• The need has gone away for a while. I bought a Korg SQ-1 at a very good discount on eBay (20% off a new one) so I’m sitting here reading the manual first before I power it up later.

• Yeah, I recommend a Raspberry Pi than an Arduino. Arduino are more to create a controller for something. Raspberry Pi allows you to customize a TON more when it comes to actual music production.