Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ASK THE ARTIST: @SpiderIceMidas

Comments

• @Spidericemidas great telling of the birth of your inspiration, nice one for writing it so well and sharing 👍

• @Krupa said:
    @Spidericemidas great telling of the birth of your inspiration, nice one for writing it so well and sharing 👍

@Krupa @richardyot Thanks! Glad you enjoyed some background story. I wonder if there is already a thread somewhere on here, or if someone could start one, where members post their own stories of how they all came to be like-minded people and ended up here. It’s really interesting.

• @McD said:

@LinearLineman said:
    Bumping this so more folks Cs have the gift of @Spidericemidas’ talents

What kind of talent does it take to make a few presets?

(Starting a full on argument so it lives on the front page for a few days).

The first one will be patience

• I think TAL-U-No should be your next project @Spidericemidas

• @ecou said:
    I think TAL-U-No should be your next project @Spidericemidas

I got TAL just the other day and grabbed the synthwave pack. Wonderful sounds! Really pleased with it. But have trouble navigating and selecting presets. It behaves really oddly and unexpectedly, like you have to touch and drag or something to keep the preset list open, otherwise the whole library closes down again. Is that just me doing something wrong, or is it something that still requires code refinements? Apart from that, it’s a sweet synth and I was thinking of making some stuff for it. 👍

• @Spidericemidas said:

@ecou said:

I got TAL just the other day and grabbed the synthwave pack. Wonderful sounds! Really pleased with it. But have trouble navigating and selecting presets. It behaves really oddly and unexpectedly, like you have to touch and drag or something to keep the preset list open, otherwise the whole library closes down again. Is that just me doing something wrong, or is it something that still requires code refinements? Apart from that, it’s a sweet synth and I was thinking of making some stuff for it. 👍

I find that keeping my finger on the screen and dragging into the menus work best.

• @Spidericemidas said:
    @Paulinko @LinearLineman @McD Hahaha! Love the posts. Made me LOL this evening!

Well, if you really want to know. This can all be explained by a number of specific and significant things/events from my childhood, as follows in chronological order...

1) 1973. I was just 3 years old. My Dad (God rest his soul 2020), came home with a fresh vinyl pressing of Dark Side Of The Moon. He put his headphones on me and let me listen....On The Run....eh??!....mind blown at 3 years old and never the same again. The obsession with playing DSOTM every weekend began, as did the raging curiosity as to what the heck was making those unbelievable sounds? “How did they do that?! Unreal!”

2) 1978. My Dad comes home with a fresh vinyl pressing of Jeff Wayne’s War Of The Worlds. Mind blown again at 8 years old. More inexplicable and downright fascinating goosebumpy sounds. The Red Weed! Come on!! Whaaatt??!! How??!! What instruments can possibly sound like that?! Another weekend obsession of playing WOTW began.

3) Around the same mid/late seventies period between the ages of 6 to 10, I spent a lot of school hols staying with my Grandparents. I think it was my Gran’s Brother who was a very competent Organist. We used to go visit him and stay there often. There was always some kind of massive Organ in his living room (no smirking for the rest of this paragraph! 😉). Seemed like he upgraded his Organ almost every year. I was drawn to it quite badly every time and pretty much begged to play with it. He used to sit me on the stool and just let me mess around pushing buttons, playing keys, switching levers. I couldn’t reach the pedals. Making sounds. It was totally absorbing, fascinating, in heaven!

4) 1981. Here’s where the fun and realisations really begin at 11 years old. Parents moved us from London up to the countryside. New school. Very nice. Grass for playground! Wow! Fresh air! First music lesson in new school...probably going to be the same old boring glocs, triangles, tambourines, recorders....no, wait...”what is that black thing with a keyboard and vertical panel with knobs all over it and KORG written on the back panel? What is that panel on the right with all the holes in it? What is that wheel for on the left hand side?” Yep! It turns out the most coolest music teacher in the country was working in my new school, and had obviously decided music lessons needed pepping up a bit with a Korg MS-10! I instantly fell deeply in love with it. Fought all the other kids in class for more turns on it. Took any chance I could to get my hands on it. Stayed after school and looked through a Korg catalogue with the music teacher. And at that moment I realised what type of mysterious instrument had been behind all those mind bending sounds that fascinated me so badly on DSOTM and WOTW. A synthesizer! Just the name itself made me melt into sonic delirium. Went home drooling and dreaming. “Mum, Dad, please can I have a Synthesizer, for christmas or birthday, please?!”....”A synthe-what, Son?!” “How much?” “Whaaat?! Really?!” “Get outta here!” Lol. So I had to make the most of my encounter with a real synth for the remaining 2 years at that school. Nothing like it in the highschool that followed. Never forgot that MS-10. Missed it a lot. Nothing but digital Yamahas and Casios in highschool with only fixed presets no tweaking at all. So disappointed.

Left Sixth Form in 1988. Got a job, and after a few years of settling down, was able to finally start buying/collecting my own synths and feeding my burning passion for them! Checking music stores regularly everywhere for any old analogue gems. Bought and sold quite a few in the following years. Still thought about that MS-10 from school but could never find one. Eventually, about 24 years later since my very first meeting with that MS-10 in school, through a crazy chain of events you could not make up, unbelievably I became reunited permanently with that exact same MS-10 from my old school just as it was about to be dumped in a skip by a clueless new young music teacher shortly after the original one had just retired. [Glances over affectionately and smiles lovingly at MS-10 sitting nearby in living room whilst typing]. A dismantling and cleaning out a collection of pencil leads from years of abuse from pencils obviously being the preferred item to poke into the patch bay instead of patch cables, and a trip to Korg UK for a new CMOS chip for a stuck envelope release, and my baby, my first love, was fully operational, loved and happy again. [Wipes tear from eye whilst typing. I am not joking!].

At the same time, I tracked the original music teacher who had just retired, arranged to visit him, and in a lovely afternoon with him in his conservatory over some cake and tea, I told him the full story about my love for, and my acquiring of the MS-10 he had bought 24 years ago for his music department. Apparantly it blew the entire school music department budget for that year. Lol. Amazing to hear his thoughts and side of the story about buying the MS-10 for school music lessons way back then. He still had an old book from the 70s about analogue synthesis. He signed it and gave it to me that day. Another treasured item. He passed away since then, sadly. Never to be forgotten by me, that’s for sure!

There you go! I think that explains everything! 🤣🤣

This is quite possibly one of the most magical and beautiful things I’ve read all year. Thanks for sharing and revealing why these Patches are some of the best in the business. 👊🏼™️

• @Spidericemidas the quality of your stories matches those of your presets. Thank you for sharing!

• @ecou said:

@Spidericemidas said:

@ecou said:

I find that keeping my finger on the screen and dragging into the menus work best.

Yep that’s it. I’ll just need to get used to it a bit more. Not a biggie. The sounds in the free banks are totally awesome. I’ll have a dig around with it. 👍

• @Spidericemidas said:

@ecou said:

@Spidericemidas said:

@ecou said:

Yep that’s it. I’ll just need to get used to it a bit more. Not a biggie. The sounds in the free banks are totally awesome. I’ll have a dig around with it. 👍

Hey @Spidericemidas - another big fan of your presets! Usually find them quite inspiring. ... Have you considered doing any presets for Shockwave?

• @Spidericemidas Great story! Thanks for sharing that with us.. 🙏 it all makes perfect sense now..

• @echoopera I really appreciate the interest here for my story. It’s funny and interesting, isn’t it? Looking back and thinking about certain key events or experiences from childhood which must have greatly influenced and steered us in particular directions, and explain why we are who and what we are today. Without a doubt, my Dad, my Gran’s Brother and my middle school music teacher are responsible for this! 🤣🤣

• @Halftone I haven’t got Shockwave but it was a consideration on release. Maybe I’ll take a look. Heard good things about it. Thanks!

• Here are some more nice Patches fo the Tal-U-No-LX:
    https://www.zensound.es/soundsets/uno-lx/uno-lx-gaela/

I think @Spidericemidas should get into the game of selling some of his more refined Patches...I feel so guilty not paying you for these great works of Art!

• @Paulinko said:
    @Spidericemidas the quality of your stories matches those of your presets. Thank you for sharing!

Haha thanks very much! I’m eternally thankful for my upbringing! 😁👌

• @echoopera said:
    Here are some more nice Patches fo the Tal-U-No-LX:
    https://www.zensound.es/soundsets/uno-lx/uno-lx-gaela/

I think @Spidericemidas should get into the game of selling some of his more refined Patches...I feel so guilty not paying you for these great works of Art!

Thank you, mate! Getting quite interested in TAL now!

As far as any ‘payment’ is concerned for presets I make, I just thought of a very agreeable deal. I wouldn’t mind breaking into the hardware synth market. How about the likes of KORG, Roland, Behringer, Moog and ASM send me something delicious like a Wavestate, Deep Mind or Hydrasynth for me to work on and design sound banks for? No money requested, but I get to keep all the units I’ve worked on! They’d be second hand used items by then anyway. Sounds good to me! 😆😆

• @Spidericemidas said:
    @echoopera I really appreciate the interest here for my story. It’s funny and interesting, isn’t it? Looking back and thinking about certain key events or experiences from childhood which must have greatly influenced and steered us in particular directions, and explain why we are who and what we are today. Without a doubt, my Dad, my Gran’s Brother and my middle school music teacher are responsible for this! 🤣🤣

I am really struck by some of the parallels of your early musical upbringing with my own, although I'm 3 years younger it seems:

• Earliest magical albums that sparked my interest in music and synthesizers were Dad's copies of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, Dark Side of the Moon and Equinoxe by Jean Michel Jarre, although my parents say I was an ELP fan before I can even remember... FWIW, I am still highly committed to that magnificent rendition of WOTW and listen regularly and it still gives me the shivers.
    • Those Lowery organs (ah, how I loved a trip to the mall so we could visit the organ store) that were en vogue back in the 80's were my first real exposure to a (non-piano) keyboard-based music instrument--Dad eventually bought one and I used to love playing around with it every chance I got!
    • I used to have a really cool music teacher in elementary school named Dr. Goldman who fostered my love of music, although he sadly didn't have a synthesizer. Still, I got pretty excited about those handbells (lol). I still love bells...especially synthesized ones. :wink:
    • Dad also used to be fascinated with early MIDI (I think) creations which he would mostly play loudly from his TRS-80 computer (and would undoubtedly be hard to endure nowadays), but also one day brought home a Sequential Circuits Pro One which I used to love experimenting with and working out "presets," later followed by a Roland Alpha Juno One which was significantly less malleable but the presets were so immediate and glorious. The rest is history, and a lot of money spent... :lol:

I enjoyed your story a lot, and your presets are among my favorites! Remarkably consistent and delightful...

THANK YOU, @Spidericemidas !

• @oddSTAR said:

@Spidericemidas said:
    @echoopera I really appreciate the interest here for my story. It’s funny and interesting, isn’t it? Looking back and thinking about certain key events or experiences from childhood which must have greatly influenced and steered us in particular directions, and explain why we are who and what we are today. Without a doubt, my Dad, my Gran’s Brother and my middle school music teacher are responsible for this! 🤣🤣

I am really struck by some of the parallels of your early musical upbringing with my own, although I'm 3 years younger it seems:

• Earliest magical albums that sparked my interest in music and synthesizers were Dad's copies of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, Dark Side of the Moon and Equinoxe by Jean Michel Jarre, although my parents say I was an ELP fan before I can even remember... FWIW, I am still highly committed to that magnificent rendition of WOTW and listen regularly and it still gives me the shivers.
    • Those Lowery organs (ah, how I loved a trip to the mall so we could visit the organ store) that were en vogue back in the 80's were my first real exposure to a (non-piano) keyboard-based music instrument--Dad eventually bought one and I used to love playing around with it every chance I got!
    • I used to have a really cool music teacher in elementary school named Dr. Goldman who fostered my love of music, although he sadly didn't have a synthesizer. Still, I got pretty excited about those handbells (lol). I still love bells...especially synthesized ones. :wink:
    • Dad also used to be fascinated with early MIDI (I think) creations which he would mostly play loudly from his TRS-80 computer (and would undoubtedly be hard to endure nowadays), but also one day brought home a Sequential Circuits Pro One which I used to love experimenting with and working out "presets," later followed by a Roland Alpha Juno One which was significantly less malleable but the presets were so immediate and glorious. The rest is history, and a lot of money spent... :lol:

I enjoyed your story a lot, and your presets are among my favorites! Remarkably consistent and delightful...

THANK YOU, @Spidericemidas !

Love your story, thanks for sharing! Yes remarkably similar! Really enjoyed reading! Your Dad sounded pretty darn cool. A Pro One!!! That’s just amazing! My Dad was always plonking his guitars in my lap when I was even too small to reach around them. I did continue with guitars into my teens, but keyboards were where I always felt most comfortable and natural. He bought me a Fostex 4-Track recorder for my 18th. That really started to pull me into actually making my own music.

Another funny similarity is that I keep my copy of WOTW in the car and still play it regularly too! And LOUD! It’s a phenominal piece of work in song writing and sound design. Shivers, yes! Makes me want to weep in places, it’s so good, just like DSOTM. I was lucky enough to go see the WOTW live shows a few times back in the mid-late 2000s when the set still included some of the originals, Chris Spedding, Herbie Flowers, Chris Thompson and Justin Hayward. Just brilliant. Was going to a few Moody Blues gigs around the same time in a small local venue, up close with Hayward, Lodge and Edge, dream come true, another big influence. Did I mention ELO? Another huge influence in the synthesizer department. Love them so so much. Caught them twice at the same local venue. Mick Kaminski just mind blowing on electric violin and Kelly Groucut taking vocals in place of the missing Jeff Lynne. Pretty sad that Kelly passed away shortly after those tours. The thing that always impressed me with all those old bands still performing, they got the live sets sounding almost exactly like the studio albums. True musicians.

Thanks again for your story. Great stuff! Hope it encourages some more stories here.

• I am insanely jealous that you got to see the live renditions of the WOTW @Spidericemidas ! I live in the US but seriously considered making a trip across the pond just to see that. Funny thing, I work for a company with a UK location and we moved the site in London a few years back and I got to go over and was excited to get tickets but barely missed the last showing of that series. Heartbroken! I see they're doing it again in 2021 but somehow I doubt I'll make that either, all things considered. Sounds amazing, though! Funny you should say ELO as my mother was a big fan and I almost threw some mention of the movie Xanadu in there as a (humorous but true) influence. :wink:

• @Spidericemidas said:
    I did start some work in SB Factory and LayR ages ago that could be picked up again.

Good choices.

But Mela seems to be an interesting one too. Great mod matrix!

Nice.

I think 4Pockets Evolver would also offer some fantastic adventures too, being based basically on the Korg Wavestate...mmm.

OH YEAH! TOP CHOICE FOR ME. You make great note adventures and this is that type of app.

Drambo..... I’m hopelessly colourblind

Yes. I would be nice is Drambo added a button to show lines between modules for folks like you but not a trivial request I'm sure. If tapping a connection end point displayed the physical link that might be enough to help. It's an accessibility issue.

• spiders sunrizer presets changed my life 😎

• @reasOne said:
    spiders sunrizer presets changed my life 😎

Before @SpiderIceMidas came into my life I was using factory presets and just not getting any dates. My music was flaccid and without vigor. But since injecting @Spidericemidas Presets I'm getting the attention I need and finding I can't keep up with all the attention I get.
    Stand up and be noticed! Get them now.

• @McD said:

@reasOne said:

Before @SpiderIceMidas came into my life I was using factory presets and just not getting any dates. My music was flaccid and without vigor. But since injecting @Spidericemidas Presets I'm getting the attention I need and finding I can't keep up with all the attention I get.

i too was very lonely and had no one to appreciate my awesome factory presets. then i loaded up “mermaids harp” from spidericemidas2 and now i’m doing open mics and sell out arenas all across the world!

• @reasOne said:

@McD said:

@reasOne said:

i too was very lonely and had no one to appreciate my awesome factory presets. then i loaded up “mermaids harp” from spidericemidas2 and now i’m doing open mics and sell out arenas all across the world!

My income has also increased dramatically since loading the @Spidericemidas presets.
    Of course, I did get that job waving around the "Super-size it!" sign in front of MacDonalds
    around the same time so an audit is needed. Still. Good investment.

• @McD said:

@reasOne said:

@McD said:

@reasOne said:

My income has also increased dramatically since loading the @Spidericemidas presets.
    Of course, I did get that job waving around the "Super-size it!" sign in front of MacDonalds
    around the same time so an audit is needed. Still. Good investment.

i never supersized it until after i had these presets and saw that sine wave 😎 now i’m eating portion sizes in one sitting some people don’t see in a year!

• @oddSTAR said:
    I am insanely jealous that you got to see the live renditions of the WOTW @Spidericemidas ! I live in the US but seriously considered making a trip across the pond just to see that. Funny thing, I work for a company with a UK location and we moved the site in London a few years back and I got to go over and was excited to get tickets but barely missed the last showing of that series. Heartbroken! I see they're doing it again in 2021 but somehow I doubt I'll make that either, all things considered. Sounds amazing, though! Funny you should say ELO as my mother was a big fan and I almost threw some mention of the movie Xanadu in there as a (humorous but true) influence. :wink:

Oh man! That’s insane! Are you my long lost twin or something?! ELO came strictly from my Mum’s side too! Dad was Floyd. Mum was ELO! That’s so funny! 😃👍

• @Spidericemidas said:

@oddSTAR said:
    I am insanely jealous that you got to see the live renditions of the WOTW @Spidericemidas ! I live in the US but seriously considered making a trip across the pond just to see that. Funny thing, I work for a company with a UK location and we moved the site in London a few years back and I got to go over and was excited to get tickets but barely missed the last showing of that series. Heartbroken! I see they're doing it again in 2021 but somehow I doubt I'll make that either, all things considered. Sounds amazing, though! Funny you should say ELO as my mother was a big fan and I almost threw some mention of the movie Xanadu in there as a (humorous but true) influence. :wink:

Oh man! That’s insane! Are you my long lost twin or something?! ELO came strictly from my Mum’s side too! Dad was Floyd. Mum was ELO! That’s so funny! 😃👍

ELO is bomb.

@Spidericemidas
    You, as your parents progeny, can say you are ELOyd

• @McD @reasOne Roflol. You guys are killing me! 🤣🤣🤣 Thanks for the hilarious bants! Made my evening! Haha! 👊😆

[responds to @McD in Beavis and Butthead vocalisations], “eeerrr, you said, ‘stand up’...eeerrr huh huh huh...’and be noticed’...eerr huh huh huh.”

• @Spidericemidas said:
    You guys are killing me!

Sorry. I'll let you catch your breathe. Try this chant:

"Aum, many pads in Aum."

Works for me.

• @Spidericemidas said:

@ecou said:

@Spidericemidas said:

@ecou said:

Happy to be of help. Thanks for all your presets.