Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can the Ipad do what Waldorf Quantum/Iridium can do?

13»

Comments

• @KMN04 said:
    @chandroji I think you've already got the free patch I posted on YouTube, but there's also another one here on the same site: https://www.presetpatch.com/synth/Waldorf-Quantum. But its a more basic FM drone.

As you said you like the couple posted here earlier I'll post those too on that site.

👍😊🙏

• @McD said:

@chandroji said:
    I’ve also traded two of my guitars to get the Iridium! It was a good exchange for me. My fingers feels more comfortable on a synth than on a fretboard these days... 😊

Life is short. I hope this gives you great joy as you have given us with your photography.

Thank you!🙏
    Glad you enjoyed my photography!

This photo is for you my friend! 😊

• @chandroji said:
    This photo is for you my friend! 😊

Stunning. The colors are intense.

• edited September 2020

Glad you like it @McD ! 😊

• I feel like I’ve been challenged

• edited September 2020

Great photo @chandroji, do you have more?
    I sometimes use my photos for my Iridium images i.e. you might recognize the first one https://www.flickr.com/photos/84018718@N07/

Were we twins separated at birth?

• edited September 2020

@KMN04 said:
    Great photo @chandroji, do you have more?
    I sometimes use my photos for my Iridium images i.e. you might recognize the first one https://www.flickr.com/photos/84018718@N07/

Were we twins separated at birth?

I have thousands of photos!

Mike @LinearLineman used some of my photos for his SoundCloud Tracks.
    I would be happy to offer you my photography for your music too if you like...

Feel free to contact me... 😊

• Synthmaster 2 + Drambo + FRMS

With these 3, you can cover all synth sounds from the Iridium for sure.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ehehehe said:

@Montreal_Music said:
    Synthmaster 2 + Drambo + FRMS

An example of the likeness in sound would be much appreciated. All these drambo hypotheticals are getting pretty old.

Agreed.

• I don’t think that on paper there is anything the Iridium does that SynthMaster 2 can’t do. But it’s still doubtful if they sound completely the same, that’s unlikely.

• edited September 2021

Agreed, that Synthmaster 2 pretty well covers every synthesis type out there that Iridium has. Could get an iPad and an audio interface, to dedicate to that alone.

I'm more interested in M, because nothing beats an analogue filter, especially the 2144.

• I'm learning Iridium. Waldorf M was just released today too!

• Sure, I'm comparing from a technical feature set perspective. Hardware DAC has a lot to do with the end result. Will it sound different, maybe better? Yes, but can you do the same types of synthesis with similar results? Probably.

This is why I value analog filters more, like in the M. Those are a bigger contributor to the end result.

• @auxmux said:
    Sure, I'm comparing from a technical feature set perspective. Hardware DAC has a lot to do with the end result. Will it sound different, maybe better? Yes, but can you do the same types of synthesis with similar results? Probably.

This is why I value analog filters more, like in the M. Those are a bigger contributor to the end result.

Yah i don’t know much about synthesis but dayum I sure can tell a difference with those filters.

• When you take a decision, there is always a good reason and a real (genuine) reason.

Some people may say:"I will buy this hardware synth to have a particular sound".

But the real reason is often:"I prefer hardware version of synth even though they cost much more".

No shame, I understand.

I try to convince myself that the Arturia Microfreak can do something that my iPad can't just because I want one even though it's irrational on my part. I feel like a child who wants toys at Christmas :)

• edited September 2021

Outside of iOS there aren't many desktop plugins that could compete with Quantum/Iridium. The main one that comes to mind is UVI's Falcon, and in that instance, I'd say there are very few hardware synths that could compete with the vast scope of possibilities of Falcon. B)

• @ehehehe said:

Also would like to hear some examples of ios synths that compare. I have quanta, drambo, nave and borderlands but would still struggle to program many of these sounds:

Oh, god... I have been extremely bad lately, basically blowing next year's toy budget already, and I haven't even really dug into that new gear, yet now I'm lusting after the Iridium in a completely inappropriate way.

• @jonmoore said:
    Outside of iOS there aren't many desktop plugins that could compete with Quantum/Iridium. The main one that comes to mind is UVI's Falcon, and in that instance, I'd say there are very few hardware synths that could compete with the vast scope of possibilities of Falcon. B)

Yeah, Falcon is a great comparison. I love it. @ehehehe that might be good one to check out.

Presets and choice of sounds and more importantly fx make the difference in perceived quality, so unless you're comparing the same sounds without fx, it'll never be clear that this synth is better than the other. It's more about I prefer these sounds over others.

• I listened to the Iridium sound demo, and it sounds good, but most of those are pretty standard synth sounds. They're made a dedicated team of sound designers, who of course know the Iridium in/out. IMO, can this be done in other ways? Yup, with some effort.

• edited September 2021

@ehehehe said:

@Montreal_Music said:
    Synthmaster 2 + Drambo + FRMS

An example of the likeness in sound would be much appreciated. All these drambo hypotheticals are getting pretty old.

Lend me an Iridium/Quanum/M for one day and I'll re-build you the sound of your choice with Drambo only (if it's really worth it, that is).
    But I fully agree that a comparison of Drambo vs Iridium/Quantum is rather pointless.
    Who buys such a hardware synth purely for its sound?
    It's the overall experience that makes a difference.

• @ehehehe said:

The user experience (and prices) are mostly what separates hw and sw today, not audio quality.d

I agree, especially when you look at what SoC hardware is capable of these days. If you had the inclination, you could package the very best software, such as Falcon with a dedicated hardware interface.

I would still suggest that there's very little in hardware land that has the sheer flexibility and creative breadth of Falcon. The market for high-end hardware is still averse to purely digital designs. When you're forking out $2-4k on a keyboard, you'd like to think that's its audio capabilities are more than a SoC under the hood. :)

• The granular synth and how it integrates with the rest and can be used as an fx is quite interesting and every granular is different.

• edited May 2022

I own most ios synths and handful
    Of hardware synths….

The answer today is NO<—
    Here is why…

Tactile, controls always beat a touchscreen, but iridium has both.

Kernals mode!
    Iridium has 2 layers each layer has 3 oscillators with 5 engines….one of those engines is kernals (a full on FM synth with multiple operators/kernals) what distinguishes this from normal FM is the kernals can be more than sine waves…they can be full wavetables, any osc shape, live input, or samples! Just the kernals engine is undoable in ios at the time…maybe even in a desktop. Iridium is really a nice synth, yes its expensive but wow can it sound awesome! Paired with polyaftertouch its insane! Now imagine all 6 oscillators are kernals thats literally 6 independant super fm synthesizers at once!
    Broken down as two different main synths with oscillator mixing.

I also own a couple of other synths that i know ios wouldnt recreate so well…

Novation peak …ios can on paper match this…but never would it sound remotely as good by any stretch!

Hydrasynth …just nope nope nope!

Behringer deepmind 12- once again on paper yes, but in reality hell to the nawl, the deepmind will sound infinitely better!

Dreadbox Typhon- hahaha not ever…typhon is alive!!!!! Interesting fact: i originally was oht to buy a moog sub 37 and the typhon just beat it all the way around for what i needed. I liked the typhon much better than the sub 37…i know weird.

Ios doesnt touch the above synths…not in use.
    Plus theres alot to be said about just using the synth itself…it just feels better!

I wouldn’t trade my fantom 6 for anything software either to be honest. The fantom sounds great…plus the vpiano, vtonewheel, jupiter model, and sh101 model are crazy!

• @ehehehe said:

@auxmux said:
    Sure, I'm comparing from a technical feature set perspective. Hardware DAC has a lot to do with the end result. Will it sound different, maybe better? Yes, but can you do the same types of synthesis with similar results? Probably.

Dacs are pretty irrelevant when comparing newer synths, as most are more than good enough. At least good enough to make youtube comparisons useless. The filters aren’t really comparable, sure. But you don’t buy an instrument because of small details like that. Why would anybody pay 100x the price for hw? Because it’s more fun to play, give instant results and generally have higher quality because they are made by companies with loads of experience and bigger development teams. You at least have to map a midi controller to use any softsynth, whereas good hw is instant and just works, year after year. And can be resold often without huge losses. Not really comparable in any other sense than the somewhat similar audibe results. Which is great for poor people. Workflows, general experience and ecosystems will be wildly different.

Also would like to hear some examples of ios synths that compare. I have quanta, drambo, nave and borderlands but would still struggle to program many of these sounds:

This was great… mostly for the visuals. The sounds are great, too, but, to my ears, not particularly better than iOS sounds. What am I missing?