Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AddStation by Virsyn (released)

Comments

• edited September 2020

@wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Sandstorm said:
    @VirSyn I am loving your new app! It sounds incredible. I am, however experiencing a lot of CPU spikes on some patches where the sound either glitches, distorts and in some cases nearly crashes my Ipad Pro 2017. I have IOS 13.5 installed.

I am using the app in AUM but only so I can use my controller keyboard. I have no other apps in the chain.

Is it possible to update the app to correct these issues?

I can’t use it in AUM at all, without crashes and glitches on my Air 2 aside from the most basic settings, and even have problems with some patches in standalone.

Surprised this is so much heavier on CPU than other big synths, such as the Moogs, SugarBytes, IVCS3 etc.

That's odd. I can use it in AUM on my Air 2 with glitches only on a few heavy patches or with a lot of polyphony. Indeed, it's a heavy one, but playable within reason here. I'm not at all surprised that it's heavier on CPU than other synths considering what it's doing. I can't even imagine the complexity of the signal processing with all that must be going on in there.

Our poor ol' Air 2s are really starting to get long in the tooth. I'm at 48000 Hz / 256 buffers here. I haven't tried at lower buffers, but if you are at 128 or lower maybe that'll help.

I was on 1024 / 44000 Hz....maybe that’s the reason. I’ll set it lower, see if that helps. Cheers Wim. Holding out for the new Air, then this old fellah can have a rest.

• @Sandstorm said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Sandstorm said:
    @VirSyn I am loving your new app! It sounds incredible. I am, however experiencing a lot of CPU spikes on some patches where the sound either glitches, distorts and in some cases nearly crashes my Ipad Pro 2017. I have IOS 13.5 installed.

I am using the app in AUM but only so I can use my controller keyboard. I have no other apps in the chain.

It has been glitch free on my iPad gen 6.

Maybe power cycle your iPad and see if that sets things right.

Is that the same as double tapping the home button and swiping apps off the screen?

No. hold the power button until it says “slide to power off”. Then slide to power off.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Sandstorm said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Sandstorm said:

Is that the same as double tapping the home button and swiping apps off the screen?

No. hold the power button until it says “slide to power off”. Then slide to power off.

Oh ok, I do that everytime I finish a session. I always turn my ipad off. Maybe I should leave it in rest mode?

• @Sandstorm said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Sandstorm said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Sandstorm said:

Oh ok, I do that everytime I finish a session. I always turn my ipad off. Maybe I should leave it in rest mode?

What is your buffer setting?

• @MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Sandstorm said:

I can’t use it in AUM at all, without crashes and glitches on my Air 2 aside from the most basic settings, and even have problems with some patches in standalone.

Surprised this is so much heavier on CPU than other big synths, such as the Moogs, SugarBytes, IVCS3 etc.

That's odd. I can use it in AUM on my Air 2 with glitches only on a few heavy patches or with a lot of polyphony. Indeed, it's a heavy one, but playable within reason here. I'm not at all surprised that it's heavier on CPU than other synths considering what it's doing. I can't even imagine the complexity of the signal processing with all that must be going on in there.

Our poor ol' Air 2s are really starting to get long in the tooth. I'm at 48000 Hz / 256 buffers here. I haven't tried at lower buffers, but if you are at 128 or lower maybe that'll help.

I was on 1024 / 44000 Hz....maybe that’s the reason. I’ll set it lower, see if that helps. Cheers Wim. Holding out for the new Air, then this old fellah can have a rest.

Tried on every setting, and it bombs out constantly. I’m sequencing it via Riffer, which is usually very CPU light.

• edited September 2020

Yeah there are some gui refresh problems, but this has a lot of depth. Great with Apple pencil and modulating by drawing in real time works really well. Think it could be a good candidate for multi-out for each of the layers :)

• @VirSyn i would really like to know when the intro price will run until as I do not have the funds to get this currently.

Thanks!

• Kb keyboard for mpe is way better than velo> @Carnbot said:

Yeah there are some gui refresh problems, but this has a lot of depth. Great with Apple pencil and modulating by drawing in real time works really well. Think it could be a good candidate for multi-out for each of the layers :)

I think the voices are semi connected. Not sure. Maybe it adds all the sine waves, so some settings affect the next voice settngs but it might be that way on other synths.

• Might just be the combined layers of sound though but thought voices are semi connected but not the modulation but I dont know that much about synths really.

• @sigma79 said:
    Kb keyboard for mpe is way better than velo

Better in what way, do you think?

• Lol. I didnt mean to post that. That was from a save. Couldnt set up velocity properly but think kb is better because of standard layout.

I think the voices are connected though, by harmonics.

• edited September 2020

Oops bleary eyes, thought this was about fundamental 😆

• @Krupa said:

@gusgranite said:
    @VirSyn i would really like to know when the intro price will run until as I do not have the funds to get this currently.

Thanks!

Copied from the email I got the other day

`Proudly presenting the iOS version of Fundamental.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1526745452

It can be purchased directly on the App Store. The iOS version comes as standalone and AUv3 formats being installed automatically to your iPAD.

Our introductory price offer is 10.99Euros ,
    instead of the 13.99Euros regular price. (valid until 16th of September )

(Recommended iPAD version is with A10 processor or higher model, further product info can be found at sonicLAB site.) `

He's asking about Addstation, not Fundamental, 😂

• That’s what I’d call a fundamental misunderstanding.

• Ah damn, not just broken eyes this morning, brain not awake 😂

• @VirSyn said:

@royor said:
    Fellow AUM abusers + new AddStation owners.. Get a good first impression..
    Do yourself a favour.. Use the standalone at first.. put the keyboard in some sort of scale mode (I ❤️ minor pentatonic), turn quantize (for the keyboard, far right side) on or off depending on the preset, and play while sliding on the Y axis (vertical).. also X axis if keyboard quantize is OFF..
    You won’t hear the full potential of this synth if you’re only using AUM’s built-in keyboard.. I’m positive you’ll get lost in the sound for a good while.. have fun!

Really excellent advice, i should have pointed to this more directly.

The expressiveness of AddStation is the reason that adding full MPE support is very high on our list for an update...

@VirSyn there you got my attention!

• @MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Sandstorm said:

@MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Sandstorm said:

I don't understand the lower the buffer thing.

If I lower the buffer (like 256/48000Hz) I get more cpu spike then when I try run at high rates buffer.

Btw this is the only app the crashes my iPad Pro 12.9 2020 running just one instance, without effect:-)

• @Charlesalbert said:

@MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Sandstorm said:

@MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Sandstorm said:

If I lower the buffer (like 256/48000Hz) I get more cpu spike then when I try run at high rates buffer.

Btw this is the only app the crashes my iPad Pro 12.9 2020 running just one instance, without effect:-)

The AUM CPU meter is all over the place when I run it - changing the buffer settings has almost no effect - maybe it knocks a couple of % off, but then I get warnings about audio quality.

Works ok in standalone, but this app is a no-go for me in AUM.

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

@Charlesalbert said:

The lower the buffers the higher the CPU usage. Lowering the buffers decreases latency, but requires the processor to work harder. Raising the buffers decreases CPU load at the cost of higher latency.

Crackles happen when the CPU can’t process all the audio within the buffer time. Before it’s done processing the previous chunk of audio, the next one is due, so there’s a drop out of the u processed audio. So, with a longer buffer time it’s easier to get that work done.

If you’re playing live, lower latency is good. If you’re not playing live then you can set buffers higher and get away with more processing.

You shouldn’t be having problems with your 2020 iPad, unless you have buffers set really, really low. But I would think you should be able to run it fine at 256 buffers or even 128.

“CPU spikes” are pretty meaningless in iOS unless they’re accompanied by audio glitches. iOS can throttle CPU allocation to save power. If it has shifted to a lower priority, the CPU meter will spike even though there’s plenty of power to spare if iOS decides its needed. It’s best not to worry too much about the meter unless there are actually audio or GUI glitches.

• Anyone running it trouble free @512 or 256 on air3 as AU?

• edited September 2020

@wim - I've noticed this in your comments before - seems to be a bit of a performance gap between our two Air 2's! I wonder if storage has an effect? Mine's choc-a-bloc.

You seem to be able to run it at much lower latency settings, where I've been struggling on 1024. Tried again this morning, and it just constantly bombs out. Slightly better using a Brambos sequencer, but still pretty unusable for me.

• @MonzoPro said:
    @wim - I've noticed this in your comments before - seems to be a bit of a performance gap between our two Air 2's! I wonder if storage has an effect? Mine's choc-a-bloc.

You seem to be able to run it at much lower latency settings, where I've been struggling on 1024. Tried again this morning, and it just constantly bombs out. Slightly better using a Brambos sequencer, but still pretty unusable for me.

Yeh, my Air 2 does always seem to get away with much more than yours. I never did understand that. However, I will say that I was just playing, not driving it with a sequencer. It did choke pretty bad when I was sending midi to it from MiRack just now.

Low free storage can do that kinda thing for sure. I don’t know if that’s the issue though. I remember you getting a lot of heat as well some time back, and I’ve rarely had that happen. Very strange.

I am kinda religious about resetting ram after every music session, turning off background updates for all but a few apps, etc. but nothing that seems like it would explain the difference.

I’m on iOS 13.6.1 btw.

• edited September 2020

@wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

Yeh, my Air 2 does always seem to get away with much more than yours. I never did understand that. However, I will say that I was just playing, not driving it with a sequencer. It did choke pretty bad when I was sending midi to it from MiRack just now.

Low free storage can do that kinda thing for sure. I don’t know if that’s the issue though. I remember you getting a lot of heat as well some time back, and I’ve rarely had that happen. Very strange.

I am kinda religious about resetting ram after every music session, turning off background updates for all but a few apps, etc. but nothing that seems like it would explain the difference.

I’m on iOS 13.6.1 btw.

Ah ok, I'm still on 12x, maybe I should update.

Yeah I don't have anything running in the background either, and power it off every night. Storage is extremely tight on mine though, and the constant iOS updates nagging and downloading are a pain. Maybe that's causing an issue?

Interesting some Pro users are having problems too though. It's a great app and I'm not looking to send it back, but I do wish they could find a way to optimise it a bit more.

• @reasOne said:
    has anyone noticed that if you change presets using AUMs browser , the sound changes but the blocks shows from the previous preset until you open and close a block?

Yes, confirmed.

• @MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

I’m on iOS 13.6.1 btw.

Ah ok, I'm still on 12x, maybe I should update.

Yeah I don't have anything running in the background either, and power it off every night. Storage is extremely tight on mine though, and the constant iOS updates nagging and downloading are a pain. Maybe that's causing an issue?

Interesting some Pro users are having problems too though. It's a great app and I'm not looking to send it back, but I do wish they could find a way to optimise it a bit more.

I’v not managed to coax out a single glitch. 12.9” iPad Pro 2016, iOS 12.

• I set my buffer to 1024 all the time on an ipad air 3. Dont think it needs to be so high as I never make full tracks but I dont notice that much latency either on bt midi keyboard. I guess Id lower latency if it were piano. Maybe latency affects other areas I havent noticed.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Sandstorm said:

Sorry for being late here, been busy to find out what happened to the AUv3 performance differing so much from standalone performance.

But i have good news to all of you.

Turned out that some performance "tricks" the standalone uses were broken in the AUv3 of the final release. With the new version 1.0.3 ( just uploaded and available maybe tomorrow ) this problems should no longer exist.

Take my apologies,

Harry

• @VirSyn said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Sandstorm said:

Sorry for being late here, been busy to find out what happened to the AUv3 performance differing so much from standalone performance.

Turned out that some performance "tricks" the standalone uses were broken in the AUv3 of the final release. With the new version 1.0.3 ( just uploaded and available maybe tomorrow ) this problems should no longer exist.

Take my apologies,

Harry

Taken, and HUZZAH!

• @VirSyn said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Sandstorm said:

Take my apologies,

Harry

Great news.

Thank You Harry.