Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AddStation by Virsyn (released)

Comments

• Not listed in my YT videos. Just for us. Anyone experienced same behaviour?

Hope virsyn could make this less cpu hungry.

• edited August 2020

Fell into the trap. Stupid me. I had dodged their last 3-4 successfully.

Really great way to show off their additive synth by having half the patches be analog brass variations.

And I don’t think there’s a random function so you people who rely on dice for inspiration are out of luck.

Long live Phosphor 3! Does it simple, does it right (except for you people who rely on MPE “expression” for inspiration).

• Sounds Animoogish

• @oat_phipps said:

Really great way to show off their additive synth by having half the patches be analog brass variations.

And I don’t think there’s a random function so you people who rely on dice for inspiration are out of luck.

Long live Phosphor 3! Does it simple, does it right (except for you people who rely on MPE “expression” for inspiration).

Bit odd but the dice appears in the standalone and not the plugin. I'm guessing they will fix that.

• @Charlesalbert said:
    Just tested comparing to another synth very heavy for me, Layr, and it uses more CPU than this last on my IPad.

Comparisons like this can be misleading. LayR is actually pretty light on resources IF you are creating patches with many layers . The initial hit for its engine is not replicated as you add more layers and voices. Basically, it loads an engine capable of massive numbers of oscillators and filters and allocates those resources efficiently in performance. The result being you can load up the equivalent of many synths running simultaneously and actually use relatively little CPU. On the other hand, it’ll look like a resource hog if you are using it for a simple patch with few layers. It’s CPU use scales differently from most synths.

Another important point, loading up an instance of a synth in AUM and looking at the CPU meter tells you next to nothing. So, loading up one instance of Addstation and seeing 30% on an iPad Pro and seeing the same thing on an iPad Gen 6 or on an Air 2 may make it seem like CPU use is comparable when they aren’t.

It can’t be said enough: if you aren’t driving the CPU hard, you don’t have a reliable comparison because of how throttling works. See how many instances with the same patch after a reboot it takes to get to 90% and you can speak meaningfully.

• The heaviest thing I've used is Saturn 2 on an iPad Pro 2017 10.5 inch. Two instances at superb quality will peak me out. Two instances at great are fine though, which is all I need at once.

• edited August 2020

Loving the Addstation so far.....no random dice in the plug in - but it sounds so warm...very analogue indeed - & not metallic at all!

• edited August 2020

This has its own thread, but I’ll stick it in here for posterity too:
    Virsyn AddStation Walkthrough Video Pt 1

Spoke to the dev, the lack of randomization in the AU is indeed a bug and a fix is imminent. They also found the bug that was causing me to sometimes have no sound in standalone. Parameters being exposed are a ‘top priority’ too.

• @Gavinski said:
    This has its own thread, but I’ll stick it in here for posterity too:
    Virsyn AddStation Walkthrough Video Pt 1

Spoke to the dev, the lack of randomization in the AU is indeed a bug and a fix is imminent. They also found the bug that was causing me to sometimes have no sound in standalone. Parameters being exposed are a ‘top priority’ too.

@espiegel123 said:

@Charlesalbert said:
    Just tested comparing to another synth very heavy for me, Layr, and it uses more CPU than this last on my IPad.

Comparisons like this can be misleading. LayR is actually pretty light on resources IF you are creating patches with many layers . The initial hit for its engine is not replicated as you add more layers and voices. Basically, it loads an engine capable of massive numbers of oscillators and filters and allocates those resources efficiently in performance. The result being you can load up the equivalent of many synths running simultaneously and actually use relatively little CPU. On the other hand, it’ll look like a resource hog if you are using it for a simple patch with few layers. It’s CPU use scales differently from most synths.

Another important point, loading up an instance of a synth in AUM and looking at the CPU meter tells you next to nothing. So, loading up one instance of Addstation and seeing 30% on an iPad Pro and seeing the same thing on an iPad Gen 6 or on an Air 2 may make it seem like CPU use is comparable when they aren’t.

It can’t be said enough: if you aren’t driving the CPU hard, you don’t have a reliable comparison because of how throttling works. See how many instances with the same patch after a reboot it takes to get to 90% and you can speak meaningfully.

Thanks it helps a lot👍

• Thanks Charles! This is just a brief overview, the next one will go a bit deeper into the blocks and parts sections

• @oat_phipps said:

Any dice on Phosphor 3?

• @Gavinski said:
    Thanks Charles! This is just a brief overview, the next one will go a bit deeper into the blocks and parts sections

Tell them about the CPU spikes

• Charles can do that I'm sure, no need for a middleman 😂

• @Prog1967 said:

@Gavinski said:
    Thanks Charles! This is just a brief overview, the next one will go a bit deeper into the blocks and parts sections

Tell them about the CPU spikes

I wrote to Virsyn on Facebook and they replied me that they will improve it. Let cross our fingers🤞

• @Gavinski said:
    Charles can do that I'm sure, no need for a middleman 😂

So that means that you are in charge of tutorials and Charles of testing and improving? :smiley:

• Scales cannot be modified. Not a big deal but on other Virsyn this can be done

• Having a lot of fun exploring.

At the moment a little frustrated that it doesn’t seem possible to decouple the morph sequencer from the note division set in the arp.

I’d like to be able to sequence a morph between all 8 blocks say over 4 bars with eg a sixteenth arp running. Am I missing something ?

• edited August 2020

@zeropoint said:
    Having a lot of fun exploring.

At the moment a little frustrated that it doesn’t seem possible to decouple the morph sequencer from the note division set in the arp.

I’d like to be able to sequence a morph between all 8 blocks say over 4 bars with eg a sixteenth arp running. Am I missing something ?

You have to use two parts for this: the first with arpeggio on with sixteenth running and the second one running over four bars through the blocks provided in part 2

switch off the arp on the second one of course...

• @VirSyn , thanks but that’s not what I mean.

I’d like to set an arp up and trigger it with a chord on hold and have the blocks of that part sequence while that arp is playing so the timbre of the arp - triggered notes changes over time.

Any clearer ? I guess it’s not possible at the moment......

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@oat_phipps said:

Any dice on Phosphor 3?

One on each voice

• @tpj said:
    Sounds Animoogish

Yes. Yes it does! :smile:

• edited August 2020

I've just spent about 30 minutes exploring sounds and trying to make a patch to get the hang of things a little bit. I like it! I am so glad to have an additional sound palette for my iPhone! :smiley:

• edited August 2020

No sound! Downloaded and tried out a few things. Sounded good. Then it crashed. Started back up and no sound. Deleted and re-installed. No sound. Crashed again when choosing fx tab. Other apps working as expected.

iPad 2019 iOS 13.6.1. @VirSyn

Crash logs sent to dev.

• @anickt that's the same problem I had in standalone, they already identified the problem and a fix will be out in a day or two

• @ecou said:

Any dice on Phosphor 3?

One on each voice

Grazie!

• @Gavinski said:
    @anickt that's the same problem I had in standalone, they already identified the problem and a fix will be out in a day or two

OK thanks! Haven’t had a chance to review the thread!

• @anickt said:
    No sound! Downloaded and tried out a few things. Sounded good. Then it crashed. Started back up and no sound. Deleted and re-installed. No sound. Crashed again when choosing fx tab. Other apps working as expected.

Crash logs sent to dev.

Now you can try again. AddStation 1.0.1 is online:

Seaboard ROLI problem fixed
    Scale menu invisible in dark mode
    Dice missing in AUv3 version
    iPad pro 12.9 gui glitches fixed
    "No Sound" problem fixed

• @VirSyn said:

@anickt said:

Crash logs sent to dev.

Now you can try again. AddStation 1.0.1 is online:

Seaboard ROLI problem fixed
    Scale menu invisible in dark mode
    Dice missing in AUv3 version
    iPad pro 12.9 gui glitches fixed
    "No Sound" problem fixed

Thanks for the update

• @Prog1967 said:
    I always say this is going to be my last synth and then another one comes and I think: "This is so cool" and again I go for it. I have to stop. One day I will. In the meantime, I am getting this one. This is going to be my last synth. Period ;)

Me too. Starting....now.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@oat_phipps said:

Any dice on Phosphor 3?

Why, yes there are! Only they’re disguised as sliders. Make a few haphazard touches without looking and you’ve broken right through their guise!

Give a man a dice/teach a man to simulate a dice roll, ya know what they say