Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Grand Piano auv3 by pablo lopez

Comments

• @ecou said:
    You could always run Salamander from Auria or get SoundFonts the app for 1.99$
    https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/soundfonts/id1453325077

Auria is not free but the $2 SoundFont app is the real deal for low cost pianos. Excellent
    comment. There are a lot of useful SoundFonts. But this new $3 piano is a debut for a developer that could expand and offer a whole range of similar products in this price range
    if this one sells a few copies. (I need to leave a positive review now that the release has been fixed it's very playable).

• edited August 2020

There is also the Chateau Grand Piano SoundFont for that very Eltonish sound.

https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/

• @ecou said:
    There is also the Chateau Grand Piano SoundFont for that very Eltonish sound.

https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/

There are many pianos to choose from there in a variety of sizes.
    The Chateau was designed to fit in small RAM situations but there's the massive
    Salamander available from the same page.

• edited August 2020

@McD , I think part of the deal might be that the piano that is sampled is just not as nice as the Ravenscroft beast obviously is. Those low notes are so resonant. I used to have access to a fairly humble grand, and its sound was nothing to write home about, especially in the bass region.

I think 'grand piano' probably sounds better than your other crudebytes example, especially for more lo-fi-ish indie piano things. That crudebytes one had that Roland D series thing going on, with a sampled initial transient that wasn't long enough, and didn't fade smoothly into the looped, sustained portion. Not as obviously, but a hint of that.

I think I might buy that cheap version to see if I can wrangle some usefulness out of it. The price keeps putting me off Ravenscroft, though I have far more expensive desktop Pianos bought ages ago.

Also Ravenscroft is quite demanding I seem to remember hearing, and the other thread about Pablo's piano indicated a lightweight nature.

• edited August 2020

@McD said:

@ecou said:

Auria is not free but the $2 SoundFont app is the real deal for low cost pianos. Excellent
    comment. There are a lot of useful SoundFonts. But this new $3 piano is a debut for a developer that could expand and offer a whole range of similar products in this price range
    if this one sells a few copies. (I need to leave a positive review now that the release has been fixed it's very playable).

Yes. Good thinking. Of course. Who knows what else he may gift us with later. Bought.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said: Just a bit perplexed that it looks as though I'm going to have to pass on a perfectly good well-priced app on the basis that I can't think of any good reason for me to buy it. Especially as it is also rather large....they'll be another bus along in a minute I'm sure...

What kind of reasonable and rational stance is this? There’s no room for such nonsense on this here forum.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said: Just a bit perplexed that it looks as though I'm going to have to pass on a perfectly good well-priced app on the basis that I can't think of any good reason for me to buy it. Especially as it is also rather large....they'll be another bus along in a minute I'm sure...

What kind of reasonable and rational stance is this? There’s no room for such nonsense on this here forum.

We accept all forms of heretic here because no one is beyond enlightenment and redemption: even the skinflint.

• Ive also got a new free Large Concert Grand piano based on the Salamander Grand plus adding some resonance from the Chateau Grand. Demo: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PxBDbs11ody7YSmBodYSgcKjeu4WpeNC/view
    I like it better than all the others but I am biased I guess!!
    Also downloadable from my site: https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/
    Cheers and hats off to someone making a $3 piano. Show him some love.

• No comparison.

• @LinearLineman said:
    No comparison.

Compare $3 and $36.

Most of these folks are not pianists but might like a little ambient piano now and then. Of course, UVI has trained us to expected 50% off and this $3 is also an introductory price so $3 to $18 is fair... but then you also have now versus black friday maybe.

I was working on a SoundFonts vs Grand Piano comparison but SoundFonts is not playing the free pianos back correctly in AUM. So, I'm trying BS-16i but that's an $8 player so
    not really helpful for a budget comparison.

• McDMcD
    edited August 2020

OK... I tried to do a comparison but was plagued with application bugs. But I did get a these:

$2 SoundFont (using the "Fluid R3 Yamaha Grand")
    I wanted to use SoundFonts4u but they wouldn't play

$3 Grand Piano AUv3

$8 BS-16i w Salamander Soundfont from Reuben

I had Ravenscroft queued up to play but the Musk Player would crash before I could record it. I give up.

So about 20 seconds each... before the music just stopped.

• @McD said:

@lsd87 said:
    It’s not too bad!

I loaded it in AUM and doesn’t seem to have much output even with channel gain up all the way...

I recommend using the AUM "Dynamics Gain" widget to boost the signal and any number of AUv3 FX with INPUT/OUTPUT GAIN controls.

I gave Grand Piano AUv3 a little FX treatment and made a recording contrasting it with another piano app. I leave a noticeable sound gap between the apps and give each 2 plays.

Compare A and B and comment. I'll provide more details after some feedback.

Terrific...thank you! Ahh, what a difference FX can make...

• @SimonSomeone said:
    2nd and 4th sections have a lot more depth and more natural sounding mids and highs, so that's gotta be Ravenscroft?
    (that's referring to the duelling pianos clips, and thanks for the demos!)

Probably, but then 1 & 2 sound closer miked with less room ambiance than 2 & 4, so there’s a major perceptual difference right there.

• @lsd87 said:
    Terrific...thank you! Ahh, what a difference FX can make...

Learning to use FX is required before diving into Drambo rack designs.

• edited August 2020

Of the 3 piano comparison, I found no. 1 to be the most ‘neutral’ of the 3, with neither room ambiance or close miking overpowering each other. No 2 was too room heavy, perhaps not miked up close enough, so it was no surprise to get confirmation that it was Ravenscroft, as that’s one major reason I don’t like it. No 3 was heavy on the close miked sound and would need more treatment to sound natural to my ears, but at leas further treatment is possible with a close miked sound, unlike something with too much room ambiance baked in.

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    Of the 3 piano comparison, I found no. 1 to be the most ‘neutral’ of the 3, with neither room ambiance or close miking overpowering each other. No 2 was too room heavy, perhaps not miked up close enough, so it was no surprise to get confirmation that it was Ravenscroft, as that’s one major reason I don’t like it. No 3 was heavy on the close miked sound and would need more treatment to sound natural to my ears, but at leas further treatment is possible with a close miked sound, unlike something with too much room ambiance baked in.

Interesting views.

I also like #1 a lot: the older CMP CrudeBytes Piano "Jazz Piano" preset.

The CMP's "Grand Piano" CMP Preset is also quite nice. I love the CrudeByte Colossus but at 12GB in size I can only keep it on my iPhone which has enough storage. My iPad taught me to buy as much storage as you can afford so when the phone got upgraded I invested to have more apps on hand.

But if you don't like too much "room" then the Salamander is probably your cup of tea.

3 is this new cheap AUv3 Grand and it's definitely close mic'ed. I'm wondering if the developer used a sample set or mic'ed a Grand. It he did he pulled it off. His midi and playback engines are solid so I'd like to see more from him in this low end of the market.
    A felt piano would be nice to have at this price.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@McD said:

@ecou said:

Yes. Good thinking. Of course. Who knows what else he may gift us with later. Bought.

Thank god. I was worried someone had hacked your account after your previous post.

• @JeffChasteen said:
    1.7 gb?
    I applaud the effort, but that’s too much for me.
    For now, I’m sticking with the quite excellent Bosendorfer and Chateau soundfonts.

Same here... 64GB of space fills up fast. Its the reason I never bought Korg Module
    Gonna check these soundfonts :wink: thanks!

• @AtticusL said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Thank god. I was worried someone had hacked your account after your previous post.

:D

• @richardyot said:

@AtticusL said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

:D

I'm sure there must be some soul-supporting quotes about the true value of being a steadily predictable git, but nothing springs to mind :)

• Version 1.2 is out:

Increased volume.
    Polished sound.
    Reduced application size.

• This sounds superb now!

• @Lil_Stu07 said:
    This sounds superb now!

Good to know... the App Store is killing me on downloads. Could be something funky in my
    Internet Service tho'. Everything has been slowing down lately. Is this a thing?

• SoundForMore

• @McD said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:
    This sounds superb now!

Good to know... the App Store is killing me on downloads. Could be something funky in my
    Internet Service tho'. Everything has been slowing down lately. Is this a thing?

Who's your service provider. There have been reports about the sprint/t-mobile merger majorly effecting service right now.

• After latest update it distorts sound for me, especially on high notes. Anyone?

I put a limiter but sound seems not crystal.

• McDMcD
    edited August 2020

@Lil_Stu07 said:
    Who's your service provider.

AT&T. Older neighborhood with 2-wire phone cabling (DSL link technology).
    It finally downloaded. Let me test it.

• edited August 2020

I think it's just clipping in Aum. The limiter wouldn't have any effect on the distortion if it was an internal problem of Grand Piano. I noticed the loudest that GP got in your example was 2.2db, well into the red. By contrast, Ravenscroft's highest peak was -9db. I think the output of Grand Piano is simply hotter, so you gotta watch those gain levels. Digital clipping sucks :#
    Dev 'cleaned up' the samples with the last update, so the app very well may have gotten louder, resulting in these differences.
    Edit: the change log actually says 'increased volume'. There it is.

@Charlesalbert said:
    After latest update it distorts sound for me, especially on high notes. Anyone?

• @aleyas said:
    I think it's just clipping in Aum. The limiter wouldn't have any effect on the distortion if it was an internal problem of Grand Piano. I noticed the loudest that GP got in your example was 2.2db, well into the red. By contrast, Ravenscroft's highest peak was -9db. I think the output of Grand Piano is simply hotter, so you gotta watch those gain levels. Digital clipping sucks :#
    Dev 'cleaned up' the samples with the last update, so the app very well may have gotten louder, resulting in these differences.
    Edit: the change log actually says 'increased volume'. There it is.

@Charlesalbert said:
    After latest update it distorts sound for me, especially on high notes. Anyone?

I read the changelog. I wanted to say that I prefer the sound that the piano had before the update, what do you suggest to avoid the clipping in AUM? Just low down the volume mixer level?