Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Phalanx Suite - extract

edited August 2020 in Creations

Impressed from @LinearLineman I decided to do my first upload on SoundCloud.

It’s an extract of a release I‘m working on.

Feel free to try out the three little pieces.

still learning, doing that links

Comments

• edited August 2020

Ouah!!!! Very impressive and inspired pieces of music! It sounds amazing! Remind me a bit of Stockhausen. I'm really curious to know about the composing and recording process! Could you please explain a bit! That s a real orchestra playing here?! The dynamic is superb!

• Beautiful recordings. Are you using an application to render this audio? I just bought StaffPad and it's capable of creating this type of orchestral rendering and it has many
    "slimmed down" desktop sample libraries available (CineSample, Orchestral Tools and Spitfire notably).

• Orchestral pieces I do on desktop, maybe 75% with libraries from 8Dio. Sequencing mostly on iPad. EQing with Fabfilter Pro-Q. Reverb mostly Eventide Blackhole.

Because of lack of RAM I often mixdown during the composing process. Than I „play around“ to get „Tiefenstaffelung“ - sorry I only know the german word (depth graduation says Bravolol) - than, composing again, mixdown again, and wonder at the end, if the music maybe gets heavily overproduced...

@moher , @McD - thanks for the feedback!!🙏🏽

• @Satie said:
    (I) wonder at the end, if the music maybe gets heavily overproduced...

Not at all. It's a very detailed performance that sounds like a live recording.
    I especially like your use of horns in tight clusters.

• Lovely stuff. Very pleased that I somehow encouraged you to post. Would love to hear more, and very well produced.

• @Satie Wow.

What do you use to compose with on Desktop? And how do you move this to iPad? Sampling and using in an app?

• Incredible. Sounds like the real deal. Lots of good music being shared on the forum tonight - nice way to occupy my sleepless night.

• @hypnopad said:
    Incredible. Sounds like the real deal. Lots of good music being shared on the forum tonight - nice way to occupy my sleepless night.

He has opened Pandora's Box by showing us the sample libraries available in the Composition tools and in Kontakt, Logic, etc on the desktop. The closest we can get on iPad
    is in StaffPad but it's not MIDI in (except as a frozen performance file) and it is batch rendering. So, not suitable for live except to make audio tracks you could trigger.

• @McD said:

@hypnopad said:
    Incredible. Sounds like the real deal. Lots of good music being shared on the forum tonight - nice way to occupy my sleepless night.

He has opened Pandora's Box by showing us the sample libraries available in the Composition tools and in Kontakt, Logic, etc on the desktop. The closest we can get on iPad
    is in StaffPad but it's not MIDI in (except as a frozen performance file) and it is batch rendering. So, not suitable for live except to make audio tracks you could trigger.

Just goes to show that the combination of desk/laptop and iPad is a powerful combo.

• @hypnopad said:

@McD said:

@hypnopad said:

Just goes to show that the combination of desk/laptop and iPad is a powerful combo.

iPad allows you access at reasonable prices but unless we are willing to pay for the big
    libraries we won't get them. But in time they will port and offer some discount to train us to pay more to justify the cost of recording an orchestra over several days. Since the products exist and break even on the desktop many will port for extra revenue, (I hope). Of course, I want these libraries to work in a realtime engine so we can trigger the sounds with the usual DAW's but maybe there will be a "MIDI Player" from Native Instruments, Reason or even SpitFire.

• edited August 2020

No one would like better acoustic sounds to be available on iPad than me. However, making creative and artistic work does not depend on a specific set of tools. When McLuhan said the medium is the message he didn’t add ... and you’d better get your hands on the right medium!

We live in a world where beauty can be created with a simple sheet of paper, whether it’s a poem, a watercolor or an eye popping origami. Yes, long for an orchestra in the palm of your hand, but don’t let it interfere with making something out of nothing, which is the core of artistic creation and expression.

IMO, an undue focus on better tools is like coveting thy neighbor’s wife. It doesn’t help anybody. @Satie’s engaging work is complete in itself. Why does it have to instigate this distracting conversation all over again? To answer my own question... cause it’s fun. But it’s also the bright shiny object to scratch the itch of dissatisfaction with one’s tools and the investigation of what one can do to create stuff.

I lurk at the Pianoworld forum. One of the ongoing moanings is the length of the pivot point on digital piano keys. Something I am sure we all here lose sleep over. The search for the perfect pivot point is as useful as wishing for a nano philharmonic in your eyeglasses. @satie solved the problem for himself. He uses desktop!

I said this quite awhile ago... as long as my tools are better than my skills I have no complaints. So far I am still far from that threshold. Would I like a better iOS saxophone? Sure. Does it limit me in any way that i don’t? I only limit myself. Ask yourself... if I suddenly had the perfect iOS orchestra would I make better or more meaningful music? If you are honest, IMO, the answer is no.

Anyway, I am just being provocative. I am not aiming to censor discussion of iOS instrument improvement. I am just encouraging creativity as a form of childish play. A kid only needs a stick and some mud to have fun.

• @LinearLineman said:
    A kid only needs a stick and some mud to have fun.

Yes. You are as much fun as a stick in the mud. For anyone chasing a real orchestra sound
    the message is very clear. @kuhl and @ScottVanZandt advised me at various points that
    the desktop app would be required. But StaffPad opens the door if you can write notes or
    import perfectly timed MIDI.

I'm sorry for letting this spill over on @satie's work but (truth be told) it's not an IOS exclusive
    production and that's relevant to this particular Forum.

• @McD. Lol, I set myself up for that. I don’t think anyone who understands forum life is upset at a thread being redirected to another aspect of the discussion. Bottom line, you can have the greatest instruments, but that doesn’t mean the music is any better. Too little focus on how to create and too much focus on technology. Musical materialism.

• Discuss what you like - it’s ok by me. I am interested in the musically feedback - thanks for the good words.

My setup: Laptop, Cubase Elements, Kontakt with Libraries -> iConnectivity Audio4+ -> iPad.

• @Satie said:
    Discuss what you like - it’s ok by me. I am interested in the musically feedback - thanks for the good words.

My setup: Laptop, Cubase Elements, Kontakt with Libraries -> iConnectivity Audio4+ -> iPad.

Yeah. A lot of desktop tools are needed. Especially those Kontakt libraries and the player to assemble them into audio streams. And mastering the technology is required. But the desktop/laptop has surpassed the "digital workstation" for audio fidelity.

We can't make anything close to your results (for orchestral realism) with a pure IOS signal path primarily due to constraints on sample sizes, RAM sizes and CPU resources. It's refreshing to hear such a faithfully rendered orchestra. Of course most film/TV music is made with these tools now. Orchestras still hang on to re-cycle the classics for a live audience.

• These pieces are great, music as storytelling, love them :)

• Really sounds full, and rich, great stuff.

• That's very impressive.
    Both the composition and the sound quality... but mostly the composition!
    I have always loved Ravel and Debussy, and I will make a point to listen to Erik Satie tonight.

• Much appreciated- thanks very much 🙏🏽 @Krupa @Poppadocrock @Paulieworld !!!🙏🏽

• I hope you will post this in it's entirety.
    I enjoy your music.

• edited September 2020

Thanks again @Paulieworld!
    I don't want to bother people, because it's not an IOS exclusive production.
    So I post just one more.
    The rest of the album can be found on Bandcamp or the most streaming services...

On Bandcamp:

GOA by r.kuhn

On Spotify
    https://open.spotify.com/album/31pnnLDes1sPIsUZcpApAk?si=T3WEoy8WSGG53OMyEqKOOQ

• I completely understand.
    Listening to your composition has rekindled an interest in the genre.
    Over the weekend I relaxed to Charles Ives - Central Park In The Dark.
    Thanks for the latest post. I will reference the sites you indicated.
    Have a great day!

• @Satie we are more than happy to hear your music and look forward to your posts- doesn’t have to be iOS exclusive at all!

• @mjcouche - Thanks!☺️

@Paulieworld - great stuff - Charles Ives - knowed not much about him, reminds me on Bela Bartok - he and Ives have been contemporaries.

• Very enjoyable as always. I could use a bit more bass frequency overall, but listening on Apple buds.

• @Satie I am really astounded by your compositions. Would love to hear more.

• edited September 2020

@Philandering_Bastard Thanks!🙏🏽

@LinearLineman Hm, did you heared up to 2:58, where the bass creature come in? I thought that would be enough bass for the whole album🙃. But maybe I eq‘d it out later during the mastering. Very valuable feedback - thanks!🙏🏽