Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Are there any small keyboard controllers that don’t suck?

2»

Comments

• Here’s something a bit different…
    IK Multimedia iRig Keys 2
    37 keys with a great action
    Real pitch bend and mod wheels
    Built-in audio interface - no need for dongles to use headphones or powered speakers

• edited January 2023

Arturia and Novation. The former for best mini keys.

I personally use Midi Plus X3 though, and I really like it, especially because it is 3 octaves but also because it powers off an iPhone and has 5pin midi out and a few knobs and buttons.

• @supadom said:

I personally use Midi Plus X3 though, and I really like it, especially because it is 3 octaves but also because it powers off an iPhone and has 5pin midi out and a few knobs and buttons.

Yes, both make good small controllers.

• @michael_m said:

@supadom said:

In my experience the Novation mini mk3 has a dreadful keyboard with an almost unusable velocity curve - which cannot be changed… 🙄

• So far I’ve found that any keyboard I use sucks, I have a feeling it may be the person playing it…

• @mrufino1 said:
    So far I’ve found that any keyboard I use sucks, I have a feeling it may be the person playing it…

Haha. Weird how this seems to be a recurring problem for so many of us who don’t practice daily. ;)

• @zzrwood said:

@michael_m said:

@supadom said:

In my experience the Novation mini mk3 has a dreadful keyboard with an almost unusable velocity curve - which cannot be changed… 🙄

In fact, if you read attentively I say ‘the former (Arturia) best for mini keys. Novation make great cheap small controllers otherwise ie Novation launch control.

I do get that op was asking about keyboards though so could be confusing.

As far as keyboards launchkey mini is barely above Akai mpk mini. The full size from Novation are class though.

I’d highly recommend Midi Plus x3 though. It’s level with Arturia.
    Some software like Drambo allow for custom velocity curves.

• @mjcouche said:

@cyberheater said:
    I've got the Korg microKey Air which has performed brilliantly.

It's bluetooth so no trailing wires. No noticeable latency and the batteries last ages. In fact, I'm still on my first set.

Highly recommended.

+1. The keys may be a little small for some in this thread but I’ve enjoyed it a lot and helps get things down into Xequence and other hosts much quicker. I’ve got the 49 key.

Same here. 25 keys. Always within easy reach less than an arm’s length away.

• @supadom said:

@zzrwood said:

@michael_m said:

@supadom said:

In fact, if you read attentively I say ‘the former (Arturia) best for mini keys. Novation make great cheap small controllers otherwise ie Novation launch control.

As far as keyboards launchkey mini is barely above Akai mpk mini. The full size from Novation are class though.

The op asked for small midi keyboard controllers that don’t suck…
    I just pointed out that the Launchkey Mini does indeed suck…

• Take a look at the Arturia minilab MK III. They make great keyboards and now it's got faders on there. I've just got one and mightily impressed with it so far.

• +1 keystep

• @zzrwood said:

@supadom said:

@zzrwood said:

@michael_m said:

@supadom said:

OP here—2 and 1/3 years later and I still don’t have a kb.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@zzrwood said:

@supadom said:

@zzrwood said:

@michael_m said:

@supadom said:

So, not urgent huh? 😂

• @zzrwood said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@zzrwood said:

@supadom said:

@zzrwood said:

@michael_m said:

@supadom said:

So, not urgent huh? 😂

I only need it for chords, and I play mostly strictly modal music these days, so don’t really need it at all. Still, every once in a while I get the urge to bust out some nice chromatic voice-leading, but those urges always dissipate eventually. Melody and rhythm can fulfill all musical needs in the end.

• @Wyvern said:
    Take a look at the Arturia minilab MK III. They make great keyboards and now it's got faders on there. I've just got one and mightily impressed with it so far.

I’ll second that. 25 keys. Fits on my lap. Plugs directly into my iPad Pro via usb c. No additional dongle needed.
    Perfect for when I don’t want to go fire up everything in the studio.
    It doesn’t suck either.

• edited January 2023

@zzrwood said:

@supadom said:

@zzrwood said:

@michael_m said:

@supadom said:

You’re right. Apologies. Reading it again what I said indeed was misleading. I just love novation controllers apart from the launchkey mini series. 🥺

• edited January 2023

Not sure how small is “small”, but I’ve found the Keystep 37 to be perfect for my (portable music-making, with iPad) needs.

• @supadom said:

@zzrwood said:

@supadom said:

@zzrwood said:

@michael_m said:

@supadom said:

You’re right. Apologies. Reading it again what I said indeed was misleading. I just love novation controllers apart from the launchkey mini series. 🥺

No need for an apology - totally agree that other controllers they make rock.
    Just really bummed I wasted my money on the Mini Mk3… 😠

• Just stumbled in here, and must say my XKey (25 keys and wired so no latency at all) and the QueNexus are both a ton of fun, and the QueNexus has awesome expressivity, to boot.

But, all has changed since I got the Striso, which I play hours a day through ThumbJam, Roli 5d, and GeoShred. Not perfect, but pretty close! And, the magic of isomorphic keyboards (which I started with MusixPro) means same fingering for any key!

• I think Nektars are great

• Yamaha PSS-A50 has nice keys, but no knobs/wheels

• @zzrwood said:
    Here’s something a bit different…
    IK Multimedia iRig Keys 2
    37 keys with a great action
    Real pitch bend and mod wheels
    Built-in audio interface - no need for dongles to use headphones or powered speakers

It may not suck, but it definitely blows…

• edited February 2023

I love Arturia but the mini keys hurt my hands when playing for any long period of time unfortunately. Really hard keybed.

ASM Hydrasynth Explorer has poly aftertouch, small and sounds great as a synth but hardly a cheap option at 649 euro/dollars.

I like the Keith McMillen QUNexus which is also not cheap at 200 bucks!

• edited February 2023

I'm just beginning to learn a bit of keyboard and am now wondering, how much does it mess with the head when switching between a mini-keys and normal-sized-keys keyboard? would it be best to just stick to one size so you build the muscle memory faster?

btw that striso looks fascinating! the idea of isomorphic keyboards sits very well with me as a guitar player who now breaks their brain over having to think about black and white keys. love the wood casing as well!