Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Multitrack DAW Update Available Now

The update is available! Downloading now.

Comments

• Updated.
    Some synths didn't show up in Inter-App Audio, including iMini, Wavemapper and CMP Grand Piano.
    And the new reduction indicator seems buggy, most of time it just doesn't display correctly.

• @logictree said:

Updated.
    Some synths didn't show up in Inter-App Audio, including iMini, Wavemapper and CMP Grand Piano.
    And the new reduction indicator seems buggy, most of time it just doesn't display correctly.

>

I have a general feeling that app developers choose which iaa apps they support.

• MtDaw only supports generator IAA apps.

• @mgmg4871 - I don't understand what you mean by the above. MDAW supports generator IAA apps in the input and FX apps in the FX slot. And the apps mentioned by logictree are generators.

• It's like Christmas morning! Knew the update was coming but still exciting given I didn't know it would ever be updated when I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• edited March 2014

Yea it supports both effects and sound sources via IAA. Seems very stingy with Final Touch, having more then one IAA effect on the master out will silence FT and the out. Another thing is switching back'n forth between FT and MTDAW will result in FT getting stuck with a "bzzz" sound. Hopefully all that will be sorted out with time. Final Touch will definitely be a really great addition to this app.

Btw, did the dev improve the reverb? Or did it always sound this good? Also, the compressor seems a bit more responsive and all? It's been a long time since I used MTDAW so perhaps it's just my memory that sucks

• I'm declaring IAA somewhere between "broken" or "not well" on this update. I haven't used IAA as much as AudioBus, but my understanding of it (from GarageBand) is that it's supposed to give you a list of either instruments or effects, even if those input apps aren't currently "on". I have probably 6 or more IAA apps on my iPhone and iPad, but on both of them, I click the "In" button (where "Source" used to be) and it shows either nothing or just DM-1 Drum Machine.

I even loaded up JamUp and then went into MT DAW to see if the app had to be loaded, but no go. I know that JamUp and BIAS register as "effects" when you use IAA in GarageBand, so perhaps that's part of the problem.

I know this a AudioBus forum, and I prefer AudioBus almost all of the time anyway, but there are times when you're just using a single input app that it is nice to IAA so you aren't loading 3 or more programs simultaneously on an older, underpowered device.

• Some IAA apps are not showing up because Mt Daw only supports IAA generator apps.

• @mgmg4871 said:

Some IAA apps are not showing up because Mt Daw only supports IAA generator apps.

From the dev's description:

"Inter-App Audio - effects can be chained on each track, on the Bus return, and the Master out ()." And
    "
    IAA effects currently support only 1 instance at a time, system wide. In other words, you can't chain the same effect more than once."

Sounds like it supports IAA effects

• edited March 2014

I meant it only supports generator synth apps. Yes it supports all effects apps. Although there's a issue with AUFX apps. Not only in MtDaw but another app I'm testing. Dev is going to contact Jonatan.

• @Zymos said:

Sounds like it supports IAA effects

Funny, I never thought of DM1 as an "effect" (although I guess it has filters, etc.). Then again, like I said, GarageBand thinks that JamUp and BIAS are both "effects" even though I consider guitar modeling apps to be an "input".

In any event...oh well. Maybe it will work later, but I use AudioBus or AudioCopy/Paste all the time as it is, and actually prefer the latter at times over "real-time" recording for laying down the percussive parts of a track.

• Pardon my cluelessness, little experience with IAA. Why are some synth apps not "generators"?

• Aside from IAA effects, the sound producing IAA apps are broken down to generators and instruments. Generators are audio only while instruments are audio + midi.

• edited March 2014

Ahh- thanks for the explanation!

Actually, still confused by the terminology, but did some Googling and it's starting to make sense...

• I thought this was one of the best descriptions:

"IAA introduces a new way for apps to send MIDI to each other ('new' meaning 'separate from CoreMIDI / Virtual MIDI'). An "AB input slot" app can be an IAA 'generator' node that just sends audio to its host, or it can be an 'instrument' node that receives MIDI from the host and sends audio based on that MIDI. So you can sequence the instrument node from the host."

From: http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/2111/ios-7-inter-app-audio-the-technical-details-weve-been-waiting-for/p1

• So MTDAW doesn't see the "instruments" because it doesn't send MIDI. Now I get it.

• I put about 15 seconds of thought into understanding the technical reasons it's important to me that an app is a generator vs. an instrument...and it led me to the conclusion that AudioBus simply works better. :)

• The problem I'm having with MDAW and IAA is when recording / playing a connected synth app I can't hear any sound from the app itself - but when I play back in MDAW the audio has been recorded. Am I making sense ? Am I missing something or is this a bug ?

• @loopingstar, you need to go to menu and enable input monitor.

• @Zymos said:

So MTDAW doesn't see the "instruments" because it doesn't send MIDI. Now I get it.

Yes, this...

• So no IAA on iPhone? Is that a bug or a decision?

• I haven't really dug in w the update, yet. I'm guessing, purely guessing, it would be a decision. Maybe @mgmg4871 has info on this?

• I'm not seeing any IAA on iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 either. So probably a design decision or something like @dj8 said

• IAA is showing up on 5th gen Ipod but not on Iphone 5c (both running IOS 7.1) so it seems like a bug?

• Dev has been notified about this.

• Awesome, thanks @mgmg4871 !

• Anybody having problems with MT DAW on the new AudioBus? Haven't tested it scientifically, but I've had several instances where I'll start a recording from the mini controls play a part in a synth, and then when I go back to MT DAW, the recording has shut off after a less than a second.

It seems to happen more consistently when I'm using one app (like Synthecaster) as a Virtual MIDI controller for another synth, and have them both routed to AudioBus. In that case, the input app is the one that makes the sounds (so, Sunrizer, Magellan, etc.). But again, it records for less than a second and then stops.

Might be due to the individual apps not upgrading for AB 2.0 yet, but I thought I tried the same arrangement into GarageBand once and it worked...

• I was having some issues with MTD stopping my recordings after about 4 bars. I had three pipelines, each was a different input on my interface routed through one effect each and I couldn't get it to record. I thought it might just be too much for my iPad 4 but maybe it's MTD. I'll do some more tests.

• edited April 2014

It's been rock solid for me since AB2. Love the update. Overall stability in iOS workflow is so much better now, at least for me. iPad 4, 16gb.

EDIT: bias in to MTDAW through AB. Recording just shut off after about 40 seconds. Running only three mono tracks.

• @StormJH1 said:

Anybody having problems with MT DAW on the new AudioBus? Haven't tested it scientifically, but I've had several instances where I'll start a recording from the mini controls play a part in a synth, and then when I go back to MT DAW, the recording has shut off after a less than a second.

It seems to happen more consistently when I'm using one app (like Synthecaster) as a Virtual MIDI controller for another synth, and have them both routed to AudioBus. In that case, the input app is the one that makes the sounds (so, Sunrizer, Magellan, etc.). But again, it records for less than a second and then stops.

Might be due to the individual apps not upgrading for AB 2.0 yet, but I thought I tried the same arrangement into GarageBand once and it worked...

Yes I get this exactly. Just started a new thread asking about it.