Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Volca Sample 2

2»

Comments

• @BroCoast That's true and fair. I use plenty of FX on drums on iOS, but prefer working with 24bit wherever possible.

• So does the Volca let you import/record samples or is it just preloaded with samples

• @quartzite said:

Part of that is definitely the dual analog filters on the output.

Do you mean the isolation filer? I usually have that at 12o’clock but not to say it’s not active on signal. I think the VS sound is the sum of many elements / factors coming together to produce said "magic glue" feel. For that reason I'm glad that the v2 has added what it has and not changed the particular (and peculiar) sample rate etc.

@Fingolfinzzz user can load w samples / unit doesn’t directly sample. VS1 has 100 slots and VS2 200.

• I love the idea with mucking around with my own Lofi found sound samples in an intuitive and fun way for not much cash. Which is why my next hardware purchase is going to be this:

• @Fingolfinzzz said:

So does the Volca let you import/record samples or is it just preloaded with samples

It comes with preloaded samples. You can import samples via an iOS app. You can’t record samples - it’s import only.

• R_2R_2
    edited August 2020

@Samu said:
    Meh, I’ll stick with my iPad for now and hope we’ll some day get a dedicated sampler Gadget and App from Korg...

Yes please.
    Looking at these demos I’m not their target audience. I do appreciate Moe put on a COVID mask for us customers 😷

• Might be good to perform imported ios samples then into Drambo as is, or to resequence. Dont even really sample volca drum and modular at the mo but it does feel like more of a real book on hand, to provide additional information. Dosent help I only tried sampling yesterday and sampling seems fun. Could even see up to a 50/50 mix in tracks. Maybe it could replace a volca. Instead of sample sources. An additional sample performer but cant see how it would be better than ios.

• @stormbeats said:

@auxmux said:

@stormbeats said:
    I just listened to the demo on the Korg site. It sounds so thin squashed

Only learned this recently, 16bit 31khz output, not even 44.1.

Super meh. I guess lofi is cool, but I'd rather control how lofi something is.

Better off using headphone out from an old iPad.

@auxmux lofi is my thing I have 12bit hardware samplers & lofi effects on ipad&mac. Its the thin “sound” that I hear that leaves me not impressed

I like the lo-fi sound of it too. Only every get a little bummed when it comes to some cymbal/tambourine samples as they can get smeary sounding.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@syrupcore said:.

The new manual still talks about motion recording per step (ala p-locks). Maybe that'll actually work this time around. :wink:

Interesting. So the motion recording doesn’t work on the Sample? That’s the feature that elevates these boxes from toy to tool, imo.

Motion recording works fine. What you can't do is hold a particular step and set a knob to specific value on that step (ala elektron "parameter locks"). The manual makes it sound like you can though.

• @dendy said:

@celtic_elk said:

@dendy said:
    wondering why it is such problem to put into those low-costs samplers also input for sampling (same criticism goes to model:samples). Simple mono 16/44 A/D chip costs literally few $.Teenage engineering were able to put put sampling input into PO32 ... There is no excuse, there is enough place for input jack and for sure inside enough place for another small chip.

A synth amateur’s guess: because while recording may be trivial, sample editing isn’t, and the former without the latter has extremely limited utility.

Totaly basic edit functionality like on PO32 will be more than enough for this kind of device

I like the way the 32 does sampling. But short of that, you'd also need to introduce file saving and possibly naming, moving, etc. If USB transfer is really fast, sampling on your phone and transferring to the Volca might end up being a pleasant experience overall.

• @syrupcore said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@syrupcore said:.

The new manual still talks about motion recording per step (ala p-locks). Maybe that'll actually work this time around. :wink:

Interesting. So the motion recording doesn’t work on the Sample? That’s the feature that elevates these boxes from toy to tool, imo.

Motion recording works fine. What you can't do is hold a particular step and set a knob to specific value on that step (ala elektron "parameter locks"). The manual makes it sound like you can though.

Ah, okay. Thanks. I’ll keep an eye out for that then.

• @Fingolfinzzz said:
    Can you import your own samples with this?

Using Korg's sample editor, yes. This is not a sampler, it's a sample player.

• I put the thought away for years, but now I guess I’ll ask: thoughts on using this as a “drum machine”, aka a box loaded with my sample kits? I’ve long wanted a hardware sequencer for drums.

Also for those that have it, does it have a 1/4” out? I can’t remember about the Volcas.

• @oat_phipps said:
    I put the thought away for years, but now I guess I’ll ask: thoughts on using this as a “drum machine”, aka a box loaded with my sample kits? I’ve long wanted a hardware sequencer for drums.

Also for those that have it, does it have a 1/4” out? I can’t remember about the Volcas.

Nah its a minjack headphone output

• They’ve put up a playlist, I like these much better than the YouTube demos:

• I put the thought away for years, but now I guess I’ll ask again: thoughts on using this as a “drum machine”, aka a box loaded with my sample kits? I’ve long wanted a hardware sequencer for drums.

• @oat_phipps said:
    I put the thought away for years, but now I guess I’ll ask again: thoughts on using this as a “drum machine”, aka a box loaded with my sample kits? I’ve long wanted a hardware sequencer for drums.

I would suggest having a look at Beathawk for that instead.

• @oat_phipps said:
    I put the thought away for years, but now I guess I’ll ask again: thoughts on using this as a “drum machine”, aka a box loaded with my sample kits? I’ve long wanted a hardware sequencer for drums.

I believe that is how many folk use it.

• @d4d0ug said:> The firmware is complex but offers loads of cool things, but in reality the one thing I’ve been enjoying is not having to spread all the midi over multiple channels 😁

+1

• My Sweetwater rep confirms these will be in stock in October. Preordered mine 👽

• Sending MIDI sync from AUM over USB has been rock solid so far. Really happy with all of the sound design / sequencing options that open up via iOS.

Hopefully they update AudioPocket. The new desktop sample librarian is great, but the old iOS app doesn’t work for loading up samples

• @SicksentZ said:

Sending MIDI sync from AUM over USB has been rock solid so far. Really happy with all of the sound design / sequencing options that open up via iOS.

Hopefully they update AudioPocket. The new desktop sample librarian is great, but the old iOS app doesn’t work for loading up samples

Is there a way for iOS of loading samples/editing for the bigger capacity if the Sample2? I can only see the older apps etc with the functionality for the Sample1.
    Is it only Mac or PC now?

• @robosardine said:

@SicksentZ said:

Sending MIDI sync from AUM over USB has been rock solid so far. Really happy with all of the sound design / sequencing options that open up via iOS.

Is there a way for iOS of loading samples/editing for the bigger capacity if the Sample2? I can only see the older apps etc with the functionality for the Sample1.
    Is it only Mac or PC now?

Not really an answer but since the Sample 2 has an USB port I haven’t seen the need to faff around with sample transfer via audio.

• You can transfer from an iPad with a USB cable only?

• @robosardine said:
    You can transfer from an iPad with a USB cable only?

I still don’t know 😀. Thinking of getting one again. What’s the drill for getting samples on to the Sample 2 via usb c?

• @robosardine said:

@robosardine said:

I still don’t know 😀. Thinking of getting one again. What’s the drill for getting samples on to the Sample 2 via usb c?

It works extremely well but you need a PC / Mac. Haven’t futzed around with Vosyr or the AudioPocket apps.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@robosardine said:

@robosardine said:

It works extremely well but you need a PC / Mac. Haven’t futzed around with Vosyr or the AudioPocket apps.

The AudioPocket app still doesn’t work. Only supports 100 sample slots, and doesn’t connect via usb. I’m always happy once I start playing a bit, but they really missed the ball by not making updating the app. Would’ve made this the perfect iOS compliment. Impatiently waiting for my SP404 😅

• @SicksentZ said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@robosardine said:

@robosardine said:

The AudioPocket app still doesn’t work. Only supports 100 sample slots, and doesn’t connect via usb. I’m always happy once I start playing a bit, but they really missed the ball by not making updating the app. Would’ve made this the perfect iOS compliment. Impatiently waiting for my SP404 😅

Yeah, it seems pretty daft to create an extremely portable sampler and then have it not be able to talk to smartphones. I still like the Volca ecosystem though. Sample plus Drum plus Modular plus NTS-1 make for a pretty wild combo.