Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to record with internal ipad mic while wearing headphones with a mic

Is there a way to bypass the headphone cable mic and just get the mic input from the ipad itself?

Comments

• Twistedwave allows you to record using any of the built-in mic even when a headset is connected...
    ...just long tap on the record button and select which input to use.

Sadly too many iPadOS apps lack proper way to select which microphone to use...

For developers...
    https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/qa/qa1799/_index.html
    (AVAudioSession - Microphone Selection)

• As far as I know input selection is on the to-do list for Cubasis 3 as well which will make using it on the iPhone a bit more fun...

AUM, AudioShare, ApeMatrix and AB3 could also use this feature...
    ...It's on the to-do list for Auditor as well...

And I've bombarded Retroyms for it since I don't know how long...
    ...as AudioCopy could use that feature along with sample-rate and bit-depth settings...

So yeah, sometimes the quite obvious features are left out for unknot reasons...

iPadOS/iOS14 will also bring stereo-recording using the built-in microphones but that too has to be added...
    (There's a similar document around stereo recording as there is for the input selection)

Cheers!

• Thanks Samu. I would need it in AUM. I'm actually really surprised it doesn't have this feature. Would you consider adding this maybe @j_liljedahl?

• Just a fun observation, all the FAC apps have proper input selection when used in stand-alone mode :)

• The headset mic isn‘t detected anymore if a 3 pin adapter (regular stereo) is plugged into the iDevice. It shortens the 4th mic ring of the headset plug.

• @Telefunky said:
    The headset mic isn‘t detected anymore if a 3 pin adapter (regular stereo) is plugged into the iDevice. It shortens the 4th mic ring of the headset plug.

Of course - so you could probably just use an extension cable to get around the problem. Something like this:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Kinps-Extension-Auxiliary-Headphones-Speakers-Gold/dp/B01N7T2RM6/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1

• Most of the time when I need low latency monitoring I just plug-In the Lightning Earbuds which unfortunately include a microphone so in those cases TwistedWave is one of the very few apps I can use to record sounds...
    (The mic on the lightning earbuds has a very thin and metallic sound and is very sensitive to cable movement sound which I don't like).

I usually select the appropriate mic in TwistedWave when needed, so for example If I need to point the microphone at something I use the bottom mic, when I record environmental sounds I use the back mic to avoid my breathing while keeping an eye on the screen and for voice I use the front mic.

Apples Voice Memo's app is also pretty nice, it always uses all the microphones on the phone for an omni directional pattern even when a Headset or AirPods are connected, nice thing with that is that I can leave the phone in once place and as long as the AirPods have coverage I can hear what's going on with a slight delay due to BT latency...

So yeah, at least for me microphone selection is pretty handy.