Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Optimal Headphone for iPad?

Probably the 157 threads on headphone, but I need to know one thing. How do I know what kind of headphone I need for X type of work? Let's say I want the best headphone possible for my iPad to play with synth, can i just close my eyes, buy a very expensive pairs of headphone and expect good result? I am using this pair with everything (sounds good, but not fantastic):

I'm noob in this domaine. Can I use the same headphone with my iPad than with my guitar amp? What are the optimal headphones for the iPad and for a guitar amp? And for a computer?

With my computer, I use headphone to watch documentary on Netflix.
With my iPad, I use headphone with iOS synths 90% of the time.
Why my guitar amp (Yamaha THRII) I play with my nylon guitar and my Telecaster.

Thank you.

Comments

• wimwim
    edited August 2020

Depends on what your priorities are. Accuracy? Satisfying bass response? Comfort? Clarity? etc. etc. etc.

About the only thing not relevant is "Optimal for iPad." It doesn't matter much what they're plugged into.

• I hope you realize this is a "what's the best car?" type of question.
    I live in my headphones so I make damn sure they are comfortable as priority #1.
    Then I watch closely for:

any type of pain (I want to use them for hours and hours in different tasks)

check carefully for hearing loss periodically (I tend to forget to use the Limiter and sometimes blow massive volumes into my ears)

Bluetooth and noise cancelling can be so useful for a lot of things but cable must be an option too. I use Bluetooth to listen to TV while I have a cable into my iPad so the headphones mix the 2 sources. The brand I use also allows my headphone to feed my wife's headphone over the single TV Bluetooth path when we need to keep the volume down (like when we have house guests)

I personally tend to find "good enough" and replacement them more often

I don't mix critical music so flat response is just meaningless to me and the ToneBoosters
    app can help if I did

So, it's easier to answer the "What's the best car?" question. Ford. No. Tesla. No. BMW. No.
    Suzuki. No. Why would anyone listen to me for advice.

Tell us more about your must haves. For Guitar check out "Boss Waza-Air". Unreal.

• edited August 2020

I use Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80Ohm for closed back and DT880 Pro for semi open. Both are dope and pretty industry standard, especially the DT770. If I had to choose one for ipad I would get the DT770 I guess.

Sony MDR7506 are pretty standard too but I prefer the Beyerdynamic DT770 over them.

There are others but I have most experience with these...

• What OHM should I buy?

• The iPad will be able to drive it better. Bigger Ohms need a nice headphone amp to sound best.

• +1 for DT770 Pro 80ohm. My high school self got lucky and bought these over 12 years ago and they are still going strong. Had to replace the ear pads but they are amazing.

• @mjcouche said:
    +1 for DT770 Pro 80ohm. My high school self got lucky and bought these over 12 years ago and they are still going strong. Had to replace the ear pads but they are amazing.

Nice!

I did the ear pad replacement on my 880’s too myself.

All the parts of these Beyerdynamic headphones are supposed to be replaceable which is great.

• I tried both the Beyer and Sony 7506. Preferred the Sony’s clearly for my taste and use. Get both and return one.

• i got the new beats over ear headphones for free when i bought a macbook, they add to much bass but they were free haha , maybe it is worth looking at those sonys @LinearLineman suggested they look nice and are like 100 bucks

• I've got the 770s (80 ohms). Very natural except for a rather prominent bass which is a matter of taste for sure.
    They're not very loud, if that's the priority then the 32 ohms model might be the better choice.
    iDevices have very low output impedance and they can drive low-impedance headphones very well.
    They're very comfortable to wear but if you're sitting in a hot environment, you'll be sweating like crazy under the completely closed earpads.
    Another advantage: They're one of the few closed-back headphones. The outside world will hear almost nothing.
    I prefer my AKG headphones for their more clear and transparent sound but you can't hear loud music without people around you getting disturbed.

The Sony 7506 @LinearLineman mentioned are another popular classic, great sound but different concept.

Being able to try them in a shop really makes a difference. It's hard, almost impossible to choose "the right one" only from other people's opinions.

• @rs2000 said:
    I've got the 770s (80 ohms). Very natural except for a rather prominent bass which is a matter of taste for sure.
    They're not very loud, if that's the priority then the 32 ohms model might be the better choice.

That’s why I bought the 32ohms one finally. Tried both the 32 and the 80 with the iPad. With the 80 ohms I had to put the volume to the 90-100% of the max. I was seriously afraid that in some cases it will simply not loud enough.

• @GLacey Did you notice any difference in sound between the 32R and 80R models?

• edited August 2020

@GLacey said:

@rs2000 said:
    I've got the 770s (80 ohms). Very natural except for a rather prominent bass which is a matter of taste for sure.

That’s why I bought the 32ohms one finally. Tried both the 32 and the 80 with the iPad. With the 80 ohms I had to put the volume to the 90-100% of the max. I was seriously afraid that in some cases it will simply not loud enough.

I don’t have the same experience at all with my 80ohm 770s. Even with my 250 ohm 880s I’ve never maxed it out and not been able to have something be loud enough on any of these: iPad Air 2, iPad Pro 2nd gen 12.9in, iPhone 7 or iPhone 8+.

I also have a pair of old school DT100 32Ohm and with those I have to keep my volume pretty low actually.

I can’t sleep so I just tested Breaking Bad on Netflix with my 250 ohm DT880s and 60% volume is comfortable, 75% a bit too loud.

With the 80Ohm DT 770s 50% Volume was comfortable.

The 32ohm DT 100 35-40% volume was the spot for me.

Edit: this was with the iPad pro 2nd gen 😁

• @maxwellhouser I'm mostly using them for making music so it's not uncommon to have individual audio tracks at below -15dB peak level. That's very different to compressed audio material and it's the reason why I prefer to have enough reserves when needed.

• edited August 2020

@rs2000 said:
    @maxwellhouser I'm mostly using them for making music so it's not uncommon to have individual audio tracks at below -15dB peak level. That's very different to compressed audio material and it's the reason why I prefer to have enough reserves when needed.

I also make music with it of course (for years) but I’m anal about gain staging and again, have never had an issue.

• @rs2000 said:
    @GLacey Did you notice any difference in sound between the 32R and 80R models?

I’m not an audiophile guy, so I couldn’t analyze it like oh, there is a 3-4dB dip at 8 kHz :smiley:
    It’s just sounded so similar to me that I couldn’t tell the difference except the volume.

Maybe one thing I noticed after a few days of use, that in case of some songs (e.g. George Michael songs) I can hear a slight sibilance. But I don’t know if this is better or worse than with the 80 ohms.

• I use AKG k702 for mixing/critical listening, and k271 for tracking (v little leakage).
    Both super comfy and don’t get sweaty.

• I'm also rocking the 32ohm DT770 for the last year or more.

I was tempted to go for the 80ohm, but finally settled on the 32ohm so I could be confident the iPad would drive them plenty loud enough from the headphone out socket.

No regrets.

ps. I recommend the velour pads

• edited August 2020

@maxwellhouser said:
    The iPad will be able to drive it better. Bigger Ohms need a nice headphone amp to sound best.

It's not that critical .. i have Sennheiser HD 650 (300 OHM) and i have no issue with using them both in jack connector of my iPad MINI 5 or using lightning to jack dongle with iPhone 8 PRO .. it's loud enough, i even don't use it on maximal loudness because it's simply too loud :)

In general it's better to buy headphones with more ohms, because then you will be able to use them without issues with pro audio gear ...

• @maxwellhouser

With the 80Ohm DT 770s 50% Volume was comfortable.

I wish I had the same hearing as 20 years ago... Maybe I would be fine with the 80ohms as well :smile:

@rs2000 said:
    @maxwellhouser I'm mostly using them for making music so it's not uncommon to have individual audio tracks at below -15dB peak level. That's very different to compressed audio material and it's the reason why I prefer to have enough reserves when needed.

This is exactly what I was afraid of... to not have enough reserve

• @GLacey Thank you!

AKG K7xx would be my choice too when insulation from outside noise doesn't matter.
    With bass-heavy music, the 32R/80R DT770s can be a bit too much at times.

Other than that, the DT770s with velour pads are probably the most comfortable headphones in the affordable price range, also for larger ears.

• ppls seem not to talk about em but are fantastic headphones:
    ATH headphones for example
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/audio_technica_ath_m50_xbt_b_stock.htm

also tip.
    very cheap and good:
    http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/headphones/sr-series/sr950/

• edited August 2020

Interesting review including the mention of AKG engineers:
    https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/austrian-audio-hi-x55

@waka_x said:
    ppls seem not to talk about em but are fantastic headphones:

Actually there has been a lot of talk about these, from reading other forums one might even get the impression that these must be the best DJ headphones ever 😉
    I found them much too uncomfortable to wear for a longer time though.

• @waka_x said:
    ppls seem not to talk about em but are fantastic headphones:

also tip.
    very cheap and good:
    http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/headphones/sr-series/sr950/

ATH headphones are fantastic indeed. I have the m50x and wouldn’t change it for anything else. Closed back, great for listening and music production. Spare parts are available.

• edited August 2020

I think in their price range the DT770s are hard to beat. I've had a pair of 80ohm ones since around 2003/2004 and I've never had any issues driving them from a phone or an iPad.

Sound-wise they have a "smile curve", that is recessed mids with a prominent bass and treble. However if you use them with Morphit (which you should!) then they make absolutely great mixing headphones. They're also really useful for tracking due to their closed design. As a pair of all-round headphones they're excellent IMO.

I own far too many headphones, but the great thing about TB Morphit is that it helps to standardise them all towards a common sound signature. In the past if I was to check a mix on different headphones the differences between them would be startling. However if you use Morphit the differences become much less pronounced. In practice this means that the DT770s are just as useful for checking a mix as much more expensive headphones.

• @richardyot said:
    I think in their price range the DT770s are hard to beat. I've had a pair of 80ohm ones since around 2003/2004 and I've never had any issues driving them from a phone or an iPad.

Sound-wise they have a "smile curve", that is recessed mids with a prominent bass and treble. However if you use them with Morphit (which you should!) then they make absolutely great mixing headphones. They're also really useful for tracking due to their closed design. As a pair of all-round headphones they're excellent IMO.

I own far too many headphones, but the great thing about TB Morphit is that it helps to standardise them all towards a common sound signature. In the past if I was to check a mix on different headphones the differences between them would be startling. However if you use Morphit the differences become much less pronounced. In practice this means that the DT770s are just as useful for checking a mix as much more expensive headphones.

So essentially if you use TB Morphit it doesn’t matter anymore which headphones you use apart from look and feel?

• @Eriko said:

@richardyot said:

So essentially if you use TB Morphit it doesn’t matter anymore which headphones you use apart from look and feel?

It certainly makes the differences far less pronounced. It can't fix every headphone, for example my Bose QC25's don't take the equalisation as well as some of the others, and still sound very coloured.

But if I use TB Morphit on the DT770s, or Senneheiser HD650, or Focal Spirit Pros then the sound signatures become very similar between all three headphones. The HD650s still have a different feel in the bass due to their open design, but frequency-wise the differences become fairly subtle.

• Before I switched to the DT770 from ATH m50x I tried the simulation in Morphit, so I morphed the ATH into a DT770. My feeling was that the morphed sound is quite different from the real DT770.