Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apply Swing to All Midi Things - New Mozaic Script - Add Swing

@_ki has created something for Mozaic I’ve been dreaming about..... A way to add the same swing, to every midi stream, everything running in an AUM. This is Amazing. Thanks @_ki

https://patchstorage.com/add-swing/

Comments

• Does this add more global swing to multi channel drums in Drambo?

I will post the amount of swing from a volca drum.

Its like it makes a different track.

• @sigma79 The script delays midi note events of all midi channels routed through the Mozaic plugin according to the settings configured via Mozaics knobs.

The script also features debugging output in the log console that visualizes the applied swing. Logging is toggled with Mozaics shift button.

• @_ki said:
    @sigma79 The script delays midi note events of all midi channels routed through the Mozaic plugin according to the settings configured via Mozaics knobs.

The script also features debugging output in the log console that visualizes the applied swing. Logging is toggled with Mozaics shift button.

Thanks _ki

• @_ki Congratulations on this new script. The use of the Logging window to create a visual display of the swing settings is an innovation I have not seen before… you keep finding ways to expand the capabilities of the Mozaic GUI.

I started with the AUM project download file and AUM let me down… you use BS-16i (which I have installed) and AUM doesn’t load it. Maybe due to a sound font file I don’t have installed? So, I start it manually and get the standard grand piano. What instrument do you have loaded in your demo? And how should it be routed to MIDI sources? Is it the Swing script or the ARP program? If it’s the ARP how does the swing get applied? I started another Swing script and connect it to the ARP.

• Brilliant! Love @_ki Mozaic scripts!

• edited June 2022

@McD said:
    @_ki Congratulations on this new script. The use of the Logging window to create a visual display of the swing settings is an innovation I have not seen before… you keep finding ways to expand the capabilities of the Mozaic GUI.

I started with the AUM project download file and AUM let me down… you use BS-16i (which I have installed) and AUM doesn’t load it. Maybe due to a sound font file I don’t have installed? So, I start it manually and get the standard grand piano. What instrument do you have loaded in your demo? And how should it be routed to MIDI sources? Is it the Swing script or the ARP program? If it’s the ARP how does the swing get applied? I started another Swing script and connect it to the ARP.

Definitely an innovation with the display.

• @McD said:
    @_ki Congratulations on this new script.

Check the date on the thread creation...

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@McD said:
    @_ki Congratulations on this new script.

Check the date on the thread creation...

Yea it’s been around.

• _ki_ki
    edited June 2022

@McD The logging was part of the initial script, i didn‘t update it in the last two years :)

I just checked the AUM session linked on PatchStorage and it had problems laoding bs-16. IIRC there was an app-id change a year ago or so.

I managed to get that file working by loading a new bs-16 instance (with its default grand piano playing) and the routing the output of the Apply Swing Mozaic instance into bs-16i. One also needs to limit the midi channel input of bs-16i usings AUMs midi channel filter to only play channel 1.

Perhaps i find the time this evening to replace the google drive source with the working version.

The demo isn‘t that great :)

• Rozeta XoX generates kick, snare and hi-hat notes (stored in MT lane) on channel 10 played by RuismakerFM
    • Fugue maschine spits out different notes for a different hi-hat sound on channel 10 also played by RuismakerFM. The four playheads play notes in the tempi of 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 or 1/128 to better showcase the shift that‘s applied.
    • Rozeta Cell plays 4 chords on channel 1, each with one bar length. These chords are also run through the IO_ARP script for arpeggiation in addition.
    • These four midi generators feed the Mozaic Apply Swing script. Both sound generators read their notes from the midi output of Apply Swing.
      • bs-16 should only pick up channel 1 - playing chord and arp
      • RuisMakerFm picks up channel 10, playing XoX and additional hats from Fugue maschine
  • _ki_ki
    edited June 2022

A good configuration to explore the ‚width‘ parameter parameter (that enables adding notes with half the swing) is to

• Enable playhead 3 of Figure for 1/64 hats
    • Set Swing to 33% (one can double tap all the knobs for specific values btw)
    • Set Swing-Velocity to 65%
    • Mode is 1/16

=> The output sounds better with a width of 30% than with 50% (which only issues 33% Swing shifts). The additional intermedate swing shift makes the rattle of the hi-hats sound more smooth.

To explore the 1/8th swing mode, i would suggest using

• Playhead 1 of Figure with 1/16 hats
    • Swing of 66% or 75%
    • Swing-Velocity of 70%
    • Width of 30%

I just noticed that using a width of 10% additionally generates three swing intermediate timings:

• Playhead 3 of Figure for 1/64 hats
    • Swing of 100%
    • Swing-Velocity of 80%
    • Width of 10%
    • Mode 1/16
  • @_ki said:
    @McD The logging was part of the initial script, i didn‘t update it in the last two years :)

Sorry... I missed the date stamp on the thread and assumed this was "today's news".
    This happens a lot and "Zombie Threads" with misleading headlines are a big complaint
    and something that seems to be a norm in forum posting... no one wants to create a new thread when they have a question on an app. This is the current question and deserves an answer at some point:

@sigma79 said:
    Does this add more global swing to multi channel drums in Drambo?

I will post the amount of swing from a volca drum.

Its like it makes a different track.

Playing with the script it seems like you have coded for a great deal of swing options (16th vs 8th) and
    all the notation options for delay. I'd like to hear these Volca examples to see how people use swing on
    hardware devices.

• “Human feel” and swing should be part of every sequencer (and drum machine).

• @NeuM said:
    “Human feel” and swing should be part of every sequencer (and drum machine).

Truth.

• @NeuM said:

Does anyone know what "Human Feel" is mathematically? Is it some degree of randomness?
    Examples of app that have a good one would be helpful to understand the request.

• @_ki said:
    @sigma79 The script delays midi note events of all midi channels routed through the Mozaic plugin according to the settings configured via Mozaics knobs.

Bought mozaic. Does the script need to be re-written for Drambo?

• @sigma79 Hmm, Drambo is able to load Mozaic AUv3 - but its output would only affect modules to the right of it. In AUM or Audiobus i usually route all my midi generators through the script and then to the sound generating plugins. No idea, if this kind of midi routing is possible for different Drambo tracks.

A fallback might be to load Mozaic and script into several tracks and apply identical settings. BUT i just checked and noticed that Drambo itself has a swing setting under its tempo control. I’m wondering why you want to load Moazic/ApplySwing inside Drambo if you could use Drambos swing instead - or did i misunderstood ?

• edited June 2022

@McD said:

@NeuM said:

Does anyone know what "Human Feel" is mathematically? Is it some degree of randomness?
    Examples of app that have a good one would be helpful to understand the request.

Yes, it is a slight amount of randomness in the playing and getting slightly ahead and behind the beat with subtle volume changes to suggest a person is playing and not a machine. Roland used this to great effect in some of their drum machines.

Example:

• @_ki said:
    @sigma79 Hmm, Drambo is able to load Mozaic AUv3 - but its output would only affect modules to the right of it. In AUM or Audiobus i usually route all my midi generators through the script and then to the sound generating plugins. No idea, if this kind of midi routing is possible for different Drambo tracks.

A fallback might be to load Mozaic and script into several tracks and apply identical settings. BUT i just checked and noticed that Drambo itself has a swing setting under its tempo control. I’m wondering why you want to load Moazic/ApplySwing inside Drambo if you could use Drambos swing instead - or did i misunderstood ?

There isnt much swing compared to volca drum and Drambo is ment to be good. Tested in aum and seems cool but thought I could also use in Drambo. Maybe I can use midi delays?

• @sigma79 said:

@_ki said:

U will not regret it just look at Patchstorage. I think there over 250 scripts. Also look at the audiobus wiki, at top of screen in the forum, they have a bunch of scripts categorized with use cases and info.

• edited June 2022

@NeuM said:

@McD said:

@NeuM said:

Yes, it is a slight amount of randomness in the playing and getting slightly ahead and behind the beat with subtle volume changes to suggest a person is playing and not a machine. Roland used this to great effect in some of their drum machines.

yes, I have owned the rack module of the R8, the R8-M, I bought it for this Feel function, worked pretty good on hi-hats. I let it go eventually, for 55 euro, that was a mistake, looking backwards.

And about swing, from my understanding the original Akai MPC had the best swing. Back in the days I had these swing parameters available in Logic, version 4 or 5. I still have these files somewhere.

• @Poppadocrock said:

@sigma79 said:

@_ki said:

U will not regret it just look at Patchstorage. I think there over 250 scripts. Also look at the audiobus wiki, at top of screen in the forum, they have a bunch of scripts categorized with use cases and info.

Might be worth the money already.

• I found my swing profiles, MPC60, ARS10, SP1200. I have no clue anymore how to use this in a DAW, but it might be useful for someone out there?