Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

midi mapping transport with CC's?

Hi All

I'm trying to finish the koala sampler midi mapping implementation, and was thinking about how I should allow mapping the transport and other buttons...

I don't have a lot of midi controllers so not sure how people will want this to work. Things like transport buttons, do they often get mapped to CC's or do they get mapped to notes? If so, do you know if the expected behaviour is "if the value is bigger than 64 then turn it on, and off otherwise?"

I think it's all going to be midi learn based, so you press a control, then waggle a knob or press a pad and it gets assigned.

all the best

marek

Comments

• edited August 2020

I'd suppose you need both because when pressing buttons, some controllers send CC while others send notes. They are usually momentary and you should be on the safe side if while MIDI learn is active, you interpret the first respective received CC message value as the highest one and anything below will be "off".
    Momentary means that after releasing the button, you either get a Note-off message (which can also be a Note-on with velocity=0 or another CC message with the same CC number but a lower value than the one sent when hitting the button.

Another MIDI-related transport control are MIDI Status messages. These make sense if one day you support MIDI clock: The clock messages advance the transport timer in micro steps (much like the timer in Ableton LINK) while the status messages tell the receiver what to do with them (Start, Stop, Continue, Set song position)

PM me if you want to discuss more MIDI controller questions.