Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New app release: Oscilloscope & Spectrogram by Blue Mangoo

Comments

• edited August 2020

@tja said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:
    This is a spectrum or spectral analyser. We are seriously considering adding this.

That would be fantastic.

Need money?
    Add it as IAP option, i am willing to pay for any additional feature for this.

Thanks. I personally don't like IAP. This is not difficult to implement because we already have it in other apps.

I want iZotope RX on iOS, with any thinkable option or display available.

Yes. Me too. It would take us years to write the complete set of audio processing tools in RX Advanced but to get the basic editor interface with spectral editing and the ability to use audio units to process audio in the timeline is a realistic goal. We may start with just a few basic processing modules and then add more as we go. Perhaps we will sell them individually as IAP. I know I just said I don't like IAP, but this seems like an appropriate use for it. The difference is that implementing IAP takes time and makes selling the app more complicated, but with the sheer number of modules in a professional audio editor it really makes sense to implement IAP so that we can sell just the ones people need. I am thinking that by the time we write a full set of modules and people buy them all it could end up being a relatively expensive app. But we would spend time making sure the modules are worth the money and nobody would have to pay for them unless he or she actually needs to use them.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Jocphone said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Jocphone said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Jocphone said:
    Congratulations on your second release of the week! Quality app and user interface again.

The spectogram really shows great insights into sounds.

One, subjective, defect that i noticed. The trigger mode seems to keep running the waveform past while the volume is above the set level. If my input notes have a sustain longer than the buffer window then i can’t see the attack phase. Shouldn’t the trigger happen only once, when the threshold is exceeded, maybe after a specified period of silence.

Trigger mode is the most frequently used setting in analog oscilloscopes. Its primary purpose is to ensure that the sustain part of a waveform appears in the same position each time the scope redraws the screen. The ability to use it to view the attack portion of a note is something we thought of later on, and it’s something I can not do with the trigger on my analog oscilloscope.

I want to keep the trigger working like it is now because otherwise it would become something totally new and unexpected to those of us who are familiar with using the trig setting on traditional scopes. Perhaps the functionality you are looking for is something we could add as an additional feature later on.

Hmm, so this app is for traditional analog oscilloscope users rather than synth heads here on the Audiobus forum? The attack portion of a sound is pretty important in a musical instrument context so quite a shortcoming if it cant be viewed in your app. The same probably goes for any section of the envelope so it’s a bit limiting to have it only show the part before the volume dips below the threshold. I appreciate where your coming from but it might be useful to consider other users besides traditional scope users.

The issue here is not about synth heads or scope users. When you write the abbreviation “trig” on an oscilloscope that implies a certain behaviour. If we change that then two things have to happen:

1. I need to figure out what to call it other than “trig”.
    2. I need to work out how it works and design it. What you are suggesting can be done but there are some interesting trade offs to work out. For example, after triggering, how long do you wait before you can allow it to trigger again? Or is it a one-shot thing where you have to press a button to reset the trigger each time?

Edit: the feature you are requesting (Or something similar) is found under the sweep mode section on my analog scope. The app is currently supporting NORM (normal) sweep mode. What you are looking for (i think) is the SINGL (single) mode where you have to press the button again each time you want to trigger so that it only triggers one single time for each note.

OK that looks promising. I could see a use for both:

1. Having it trigger on first attack with a variable delay until it is primed for triggering again.
    2. Having it trigger instantly when you tap an area on screen, maybe with some lookahead so that you could wait for an event in a long stream of audio and capture it by tapping when it arrives. The lookahead would allow for slow reaction times.

I think one important thing to remember is that many musician users of your app will often be using their hands to play an instrument or tweak some kind of hardware while viewing the graphs. This is why having hands-free modes to view different sections of a sound is crucial to effective usage.

We are looking into a sweep mode switch in the trig mode view. The problem right now is that I’m afraid of making the app too complicated. We are already confusing people as it is. We need to figure out how to do it without causing a situation where people can get stuck in a state where it doesn’t trigger and they don’t understand why.

Good to hear. The only part of the UI I find confusing currently is in trigger mode. Because the app doesn't show the incoming signal or level line, if the volume is too lower to trigger then you have to guess where to set the level. I know this isn't terribly difficult but it might help to have a ghosted plot of the signal until the threshold is hit?

• @Jocphone said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Jocphone said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Jocphone said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Jocphone said:
    Congratulations on your second release of the week! Quality app and user interface again.

One, subjective, defect that i noticed. The trigger mode seems to keep running the waveform past while the volume is above the set level. If my input notes have a sustain longer than the buffer window then i can’t see the attack phase. Shouldn’t the trigger happen only once, when the threshold is exceeded, maybe after a specified period of silence.

Trigger mode is the most frequently used setting in analog oscilloscopes. Its primary purpose is to ensure that the sustain part of a waveform appears in the same position each time the scope redraws the screen. The ability to use it to view the attack portion of a note is something we thought of later on, and it’s something I can not do with the trigger on my analog oscilloscope.

I want to keep the trigger working like it is now because otherwise it would become something totally new and unexpected to those of us who are familiar with using the trig setting on traditional scopes. Perhaps the functionality you are looking for is something we could add as an additional feature later on.

Hmm, so this app is for traditional analog oscilloscope users rather than synth heads here on the Audiobus forum? The attack portion of a sound is pretty important in a musical instrument context so quite a shortcoming if it cant be viewed in your app. The same probably goes for any section of the envelope so it’s a bit limiting to have it only show the part before the volume dips below the threshold. I appreciate where your coming from but it might be useful to consider other users besides traditional scope users.

The issue here is not about synth heads or scope users. When you write the abbreviation “trig” on an oscilloscope that implies a certain behaviour. If we change that then two things have to happen:

2. I need to work out how it works and design it. What you are suggesting can be done but there are some interesting trade offs to work out. For example, after triggering, how long do you wait before you can allow it to trigger again? Or is it a one-shot thing where you have to press a button to reset the trigger each time?

Edit: the feature you are requesting (Or something similar) is found under the sweep mode section on my analog scope. The app is currently supporting NORM (normal) sweep mode. What you are looking for (i think) is the SINGL (single) mode where you have to press the button again each time you want to trigger so that it only triggers one single time for each note.

1. Having it trigger on first attack with a variable delay until it is primed for triggering again.
    2. Having it trigger instantly when you tap an area on screen, maybe with some lookahead so that you could wait for an event in a long stream of audio and capture it by tapping when it arrives. The lookahead would allow for slow reaction times.

I think one important thing to remember is that many musician users of your app will often be using their hands to play an instrument or tweak some kind of hardware while viewing the graphs. This is why having hands-free modes to view different sections of a sound is crucial to effective usage.

We are looking into a sweep mode switch in the trig mode view. The problem right now is that I’m afraid of making the app too complicated. We are already confusing people as it is. We need to figure out how to do it without causing a situation where people can get stuck in a state where it doesn’t trigger and they don’t understand why.

Good to hear. The only part of the UI I find confusing currently is in trigger mode. Because the app doesn't show the incoming signal or level line, if the volume is too lower to trigger then you have to guess where to set the level. I know this isn't terribly difficult but it might help to have a ghosted plot of the signal until the threshold is hit?

Yesyesyesyesoplease, @Blue_Mangoo

• @tja said:

@Jocphone said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Jocphone said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Jocphone said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Jocphone said:

Yesyesyesyesoplease, @Blue_Mangoo

+1

• @jolico said:

Also, it would be awesome if the spectrogram feature was added to the new audio editor that’s coming out, so that we can see the complete track and maybe even mask selected frequency/time ranges.

Who's working on a new Audio Editor? (I must have missed that one BIG TIME in that case).

• @Samu said:

@jolico said:

Also, it would be awesome if the spectrogram feature was added to the new audio editor that’s coming out, so that we can see the complete track and maybe even mask selected frequency/time ranges.

Who's working on a new Audio Editor? (I must have missed that one BIG TIME in that case).

@Blue_Mangoo

• @Samu said:

@jolico said:

We are working on it. Still in the early stages but the real purpose of building this oscilloscope was to research on how to display a waveform and spectrogram well so we can use the technology in the audio editor.

• edited August 2020

@Jocphone said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Jocphone said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Jocphone said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Jocphone said:

I’ll think about it. We were using the analog scope in the picture up above when we designed this. We tried to make the app work like the real thing (especially the trigger mode) and then add a few improvements. I guess we could have been more creative about deviating from the functionality of the hardware. I admit that an analog scope is not a good example of a user friendly interface so perhaps we shouldn’t have used it as a design guide. That scope is really complicated and difficult to understand.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

We are working on it. Still in the early stages but the real purpose of building this oscilloscope was to research on how to display a waveform and spectrogram well so we can use the technology in the audio editor.

Got it. The 'Trigger' mode is perfect for sampling to capture the initial transient after the trigger level is reached.
    It's like a pre-record buffer.

Personally I'm not super picky when it comes to audio-editors and prefer a clean layout instead of 'feature overload'.
    (TwistedWave covers 99% of my needs at the moment, it's only missing the option to disable zero-snap and loop point meta-data).

Trim/Crop, Fade In/Out, Normalize to Target Value (Peak, RMS,LUFS etc. with True Peak Detection), Reverse Selection, Cut/Copy/Paste, Optional Zero-Snap when moving loop and selection handles (Optionally snap to grid with multiple division settings), Simple Noise Reduction (but feel free to try and beat Brusfri by Klevgr.).

Basic Dynamics Processing (Gate, Expander, Compressor, Limiter), I'm really fond of Apples AUDynamicsProcessor, Basic Lo/Hi-Cut filtering.

And since you've already got the nice spectral view some tools to manipulate it.(no need to turn it into Virtual ANS3 but that would be a bonus for sure).

As for File-management, stick to iOS/iPadOS standards... (Ie. DocumentPicker and ShareSheet).

Time & Pitch adjustments might be handy too...

But hey, it's your app but at least now my somewhat detailed wishlist is out in the open :)

I'll be sure to keep an eye out when/if a public-beta drops...

Cheers!
    /Samuel

• wimwim
    edited August 2020

@Samu said:
    Personally I'm not super picky when it comes to audio-editors and prefer a clean layout instead of 'feature overload'.
    (TwistedWave covers 99% of my needs at the moment, it's only missing the option to disable zero-snap and loop point meta-data).

... and BPM ruler/snap. That's the one thing that makes TW of little use to me.

• @wim said:

@Samu said:

... and BPM ruler/snap. That's the only thing that makes TW of little use to me.

Maker sure to get in touch with the dev. Most of the ideas I've sent him over the past few years are back-logged but since not too many users ask for them he's not 'wasting too much time' implementing them citing that he wants to keep the app and UI as 'clean' as possible without bloating it too much. Not even the argument to add the advanced option sin the system-setting bites...

Oh well, maybe some serious competition will make him re-evaluate as the Mac version has most of the features I've asked for already. Audacity is another app I'd like to see on iOS/iPadOS.

BM3 is also due for an update so we'll see...

• wimwim
    edited August 2020

@Samu said:

@wim said:

@Samu said:

... and BPM ruler/snap. That's the only thing that makes TW of little use to me.

Maker sure to get in touch with the dev. Most of the ideas I've sent him over the past few years are back-logged but since not too many users ask for them he's not 'wasting too much time' implementing them citing that he wants to keep the app and UI as 'clean' as possible without bloating it too much. Not even the argument to add the advanced option sin the system-setting bites...

Been there. Done that. More than once. That's OK, developers should choose their own path.
    But yeh, competition may cause a change of heart.

(actually, I mentioned it here mainly just to flag it as important for any future Mangoo editor.)

• @wim said:

(actually, I mentioned it here mainly just to flag it as important for any future Mangoo editor.)

Yepp, multiple ruler formats (samples, time & beat divisions) and snap options for zero-crossing, beat-divisions & time (for example select exactly 10 seconds or 2000 samples etc.) is definitely something that is important in any modern audio-editor.

I really like the 'smart snap' in Logic's Quick Sampler.
    It can 'smart snap' to Transient, Zero-Crossing and Beat Divisions (the amount of divisions increases with zoom level down to 1/128th note) but is not limited to that and still allows free placement of the handles.

Another nice feature in QuickSampler is the optional automatic vertical zoom that makes it easier to edit files when levels get lower.

I'll be sure keep an eye out for a an eventual public beta of this new Audio Editor from @Blue_Mangoo !

My hope is that not too much focus is put on multi-track support, keep it mono/stereo.
    And for recording consider supporting devices with multiple inputs and when using device only add support for Microphone selection.

Cheers!

• Hi,
    I have 3 iPhone that i dont use anymore.
    I would like to use this apps with my Hardware.
    What câble i need in order to send audio signals from my hardware (moog DFAM, Mother32, octatrack)?
    This thing is my need?
    https://fr.rode.com/accessories/sc4

If someone could recommand cheaper solution.

Thx

• @Hkor said:
    Hi,
    What câble i need in order to send audio signals from my hardware (moog DFAM, Mother32, octatrack)?
    This thing is my need?

Thx

Which iPhone do you have? Does it have a headphone jack connector?

• edited August 2020

@Hkor said:
    Hi,
    This thing is my need?

Thx

I recommend you start a new post on this forum to ask this question. There are people here who will know the answer but they may not see your question because it’s inside of this topic about the oscilloscope app. When you start the new post, be sure to tell them what iPhones you are using.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Hkor said:
    Hi,
    This thing is my need?

Thx

Which iPhone do you have? Does it have a headphone jack connector?

Yes off course

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Hkor said:
    Hi,
    This thing is my need?

Thx

I recommend you start a new post on this forum to ask this question. There are people here who will know the answer but they may not see your question because it’s inside of this topic about the oscilloscope app. When you start the new post, be sure to tell them what iPhones you are using.

Ok i will do. Or maybe you could do this with a mini tutorial.
    Thx

• @Hkor said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Hkor said:
    Hi,
    This thing is my need?

Thx

Ask me if you will do 😋

Thx

• @Hkor said:

@Hkor said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Hkor said:
    Hi,
    This thing is my need?

Thx

You want a tutorial about how to start a new thread on this forum or a tutorial about how to connect audio devices to your iphone?

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Hkor said:

@Hkor said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Hkor said:
    Hi,
    This thing is my need?

Thx

You want a tutorial about how to start a new thread on this forum or a tutorial about how to connect audio devices to your iphone?

About how to use your app with external audio source yes.
    I think your apps have a huge potential for this task and many users with my needs will buy your apps for this purpose.
    On elektronauts forum too.
    👌🤗

• @Hkor said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Hkor said:

@Hkor said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Hkor said:
    Hi,
    This thing is my need?

Thx

I think your apps have a huge potential for this task and many users with my needs will buy your apps for this purpose.
    👌🤗

Yes, I could do a tutorial video like that. I want to tell you that the way I connect external audio sources to my iPad is not the cheapest way, but it works and I don't mind doing a video for you and others who are curious.

• @Hkor said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Hkor said:

@Hkor said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Hkor said:
    Hi,
    This thing is my need?

Thx

👌🤗

Here is the video:

• tjatja
    edited September 2020

While i like the Mani Consulting Limited version in nearly any regard better, it could use a way to zoom out far more than currenly possible - to see more, a longer piece of audio:

Any chance, @Blue_Mangoo ?

• @tja said:
    While i like the Mani Consulting Limited version in nearly any regard better, it could use a way to zoom out far more than currenly possible - to see more, a longer piece of audio:

Any chance, @Blue_Mangoo ?

I will check on it.

• Any updates on adding the spectrum analyzer view? I've been searching high and low for an app that can do this well.

• @alspacka said:
    Any updates on adding the spectrum analyzer view? I've been searching high and low for an app that can do this well.

TB Equalizer and miRack also have spectrum analyzers btw.

• @rs2000 said:

@alspacka said:
    Any updates on adding the spectrum analyzer view? I've been searching high and low for an app that can do this well.

Thank you for the suggestions, I've been using the one in mirack.

• @alspacka said:

@rs2000 said:

@alspacka said:

Thank you for the suggestions, I've been using the one in mirack.

I wrote the signal processing code for the spectrum analyzer but we haven’t actually implemented it in the GUI yet.

What are you wanting to do with the analyzer?

• There are lots of spectrum analyzers on iOS and all do more or less the same thing so by now I often had to go back to desktop apps.
    Aside from the usual features like fft size = 1024..65536, Rect/tri/Hamming/Blackman windowing, different levels of averaging and X and Y axis zoom, I'm missing this:

• Being able to store and recall spectra instantly (4 buttons should be enough)
    • Each button would toggle the display of a spectrum as an overlay in different color
    • A delta mode which shows the difference between the stored and the current input spectrum instead of absolute values

This is very helpful for designing synth sounds after a reference sound, doing FM synthesis, equalization of a master track compared to another similar track etc.