Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New app release: Oscilloscope & Spectrogram by Blue Mangoo

Comments

• edited August 2020

@rezidue said:
    @Blue_Mangoo I bought a book a while back that breaks down how to reverse engineer sounds using an FFT spectrum analyzer like http://mdsp.smartelectronix.com/freakoscope/

Can this be done in a similar way with your plugin? I don’t know much about the different types of spectrum analysis.

Sample of the book: http://synthesizer-cookbook.com/SynCookbook.pdf

The basic idea I get from reading that book is that if you have a synth sample and you view it In an analyser then you can guess how it was made and replicate it with another synth. That is true to a certain extent. But it need not be the same kind of analyser they use in that book. For example, if you use the oscilloscope only without the spectrogram, you could match the sound of a synth just by messing around with filters and oscillators until you get a waveform that looks similar to the one in the sample.

However, this isn’t always as easy as that book suggests. If I were trying to copy a synth sound I would look at the output of a plugin like this one to use it as a guide. But that may not be enough in every case. Of course you would also need to use good old listening to confirm that you are doing it correctly.

• @wim said:
    @Blue_Mangoo - Small suggestion: It would be handy to be able to change the scale on the right hand from hz to note. I realize you can move the cursor and see the note reflected on a knob, but being able to take a quick glance to get the overall idea would be great. This is especially true when looking at chordal input.

Displaying all the notes in the space available isn't practical, so some would need to be left out, but if at least the C's and as many others as works visually could be displayed it would still be helpful.

Better yet would be a very small keyboard display in that space, with just the octaves labeled. That would make identifying notes visually a breeze.

We are discussing this issue with another customer also. The piano not scale is difficult because the frequency axis labels are in bark scale rather than log scale. Log scale has even spacing for each octave so the piano keys fit nicely, but it stretches the bass frequencies too widely for my taste.

The idea we are working on after talking to the other customer is an option to colour-code the spectrogram so each note has a distinct colour.

• @uncledave said:

@Samu said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

I didn’t really demonstrate it on steady waveforms. I was afraid it would be difficult to understand what it does unless I did the transients demo. But now that you mention it, I can see how the transients alone don’t make it clear what it would do in the case of a steady wave.

No worries, it works really well :)

Also I think I've found a bug, when I move the 'pitch detection-line' all the way down on the screen the app freezes and becomes unresponsive.

The 'Freeze' happens in both Stand-Alone and AUv3. The AUv3 crashes when I try to remove it.
    (Here's a clip showing the bug)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tgh21kfcr9uwxx/BUG.mov?dl=0
    (I think the 'bug' might be a simple missing check if the detection value is out of bounds).

Cheers!
    /Samuel

I just noticed this freeze also. Needs force quit, and logs SIGKILL when that is done.

I've noticed that when I tap/hold on the spectrogram frequency scale, the note marker line does not appear until I drag 1-2 mm vertically. Does anyone else see this, or is it just me?

@Samu

Thanks for reporting. We are working on this one.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@rezidue said:
    @Blue_Mangoo I bought a book a while back that breaks down how to reverse engineer sounds using an FFT spectrum analyzer like http://mdsp.smartelectronix.com/freakoscope/

Can this be done in a similar way with your plugin? I don’t know much about the different types of spectrum analysis.

Sample of the book: http://synthesizer-cookbook.com/SynCookbook.pdf

The basic idea I get from reading that book is that if you have a synth sample and you view it In an analyser then you can guess how it was made and replicate it with another synth. That is true to a certain extent. But it need not be the same kind of analyser they use in that book. For example, if you use the oscilloscope only without the spectrogram, you could match the sound of a synth just by messing around with filters and oscillators until you get a waveform that looks similar to the one in the sample.

However, this isn’t always as easy as that book suggests. If I were trying to copy a synth sound I would look at the output of a plugin like this one to use it as a guide. But that may not be enough in every case. Of course you would also need to use good old listening to confirm that you are doing it correctly.

I think the main thing is being able to see all the harmonics and dB levels. It looks like I can sort out pitch on the spectrum analyzer and I can get somewhat of an idea of amplitude based on thickness. I can see why the freakoscope view is helpful with amplitude and frequency. Is that just a standard FFT view?

Book two in the series is basically a collection of Instrument harmonic graphs from freakoscope. http://synthesizer-cookbook.com/VOL2partial.pdf

I’d love to run through the books if I could view spectrum analysis in a similar way.

• edited August 2020

The spectrogram is the same data: it comes from the fast fourier transform (FFT), but instead of showing the decibel level as a position on a graph, it represents it as a colour, where brighter colour is louder. That makes it more difficult to read the exact volume of harmonics in dB. The advantage is that you can see a history of how the spectrum changes over time.

We are considering adding a spectrum analyser view like the one in that book

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    The spectrogram is the same data: it comes from the fast fourier transform (FFT), but instead of showing the decibel level as a position on a graph, it represents it as a colour, where brighter colour is louder. That makes it more difficult to read the exact volume of harmonics in dB. The advantage is that you can see a history of how the spectrum changes over time.

Now that would ’complete’ the app and cover most analysys needs for sure :)

• Interested to hear what people here's favourite uses for oscilloscopes and spectrum analyzers are.

• Congratulations on your second release of the week! Quality app and user interface again.

The spectogram really shows great insights into sounds.

One, subjective, defect that i noticed. The trigger mode seems to keep running the waveform past while the volume is above the set level. If my input notes have a sustain longer than the buffer window then i can’t see the attack phase. Shouldn’t the trigger happen only once, when the threshold is exceeded, maybe after a specified period of silence.

And a couple of requests:

Could we have much longer buffers? Personally i would find it instructive to see the frequency landscape of a whole verse of a song for instance.

Also, would it be possible to optionally allow the level and note lines to stick around? And maybe have the waveform before it reaches trigger level drawn ghosted out so that we can see where to set it?

Again, great work. Can see myself referring to this a lot to aid in sound design.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

And the time variation of the spectrum is important for the timbre of the sound. It especially guides the filter envelope, or the FM modulator envelope. So the spectrogram display is valuable, and unique in iOS.

How about optionally coloring the spectrogram, say using the "jet" scheme running from dark blue up to bright red, covering relative volume down to 20 or 30 dB below the loudest? That would allow a more accurate read of levels, direct from the spectrogram.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

:) :) :)

• Thanks for this awesome app @Blue_Mangoo.
    +1 on the addition of a spectrum analyser.

• edited August 2020

@Jocphone said:
    Congratulations on your second release of the week! Quality app and user interface again.

One, subjective, defect that i noticed. The trigger mode seems to keep running the waveform past while the volume is above the set level. If my input notes have a sustain longer than the buffer window then i can’t see the attack phase. Shouldn’t the trigger happen only once, when the threshold is exceeded, maybe after a specified period of silence.

Trigger mode is the most frequently used setting in analog oscilloscopes. Its primary purpose is to ensure that the sustain part of a waveform appears in the same position each time the scope redraws the screen. The ability to use it to view the attack portion of a note is something we thought of later on, and it’s something I can not do with the trigger on my analog oscilloscope.

I want to keep the trigger working like it is now because otherwise it would become something totally new and unexpected to those of us who are familiar with using the trig setting on traditional scopes. Perhaps the functionality you are looking for is something we could add as an additional feature later on.

Could we have much longer buffers? Personally i would find it instructive to see the frequency landscape of a whole verse of a song for instance.

We are planning to do a similar type of view in an audio editor app to be released later on. That one will handle longer time intervals. This one is intended for short timescales and real-time viewing.

Doing the long timescale requires us to be more careful with memory management and may require some design changes.

Also, would it be possible to optionally allow the level and note lines to stick around? And maybe have the waveform before it reaches trigger level drawn ghosted out so that we can see where to set it?

It could stick around for a few seconds and then automatically disappear. Would that be enough?

I don’t want to add a button to show it and hide it because I want to keep the UI simple. Hence, the automatic hide suggestion.

Again, great work. Can see myself referring to this a lot to aid in sound design.

Thanks

• @Jocphone said:

Auditor has a spectral view that can be used for this, though not in real time.

• @wim said:

Auditor has a spectral view that can be used for this, though not in real time.

But It doesn't look as 'cool' and 'smooth' as this Blue Mangoo thingie ;)

Hopefully Auditor will some day gain support for AUv3's (so I can use Brusfri) or better yet include some advanced noise-reduction functions...

The spectrum in Auditor is of limited use considering it's just for visuals and no spectral editing can be done (yet?).

While Auditor is pretty capable it's visuals keep me going back to TwistedWave with is a lot easier on the eyes and universal.
    (The Auditor developer knows this but it's his 'vision' for the app and I can do nanda to change it).

• The new update just dropped!

Tracked down some funny noises in my room too...

It's hot here so what can be seen here are the blades of the ceiling fan creating a pulsating rhythm :)
    I have no clue on the levels though so a histogram and level meter would definitely complete the app, love the looks of it!

But if it gets too many features the name might need to be changed to Visual Analyzer :D
    (Updated my 5-starts for the new update).
    Cheers!

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Jocphone said:
    Congratulations on your second release of the week! Quality app and user interface again.

Trigger mode is the most frequently used setting in analog oscilloscopes. Its primary purpose is to ensure that the sustain part of a waveform appears in the same position each time the scope redraws the screen. The ability to use it to view the attack portion of a note is something we thought of later on, and it’s something I can not do with the trigger on my analog oscilloscope.

I want to keep the trigger working like it is now because otherwise it would become something totally new and unexpected to those of us who are familiar with using the trig setting on traditional scopes. Perhaps the functionality you are looking for is something we could add as an additional feature later on.

Hmm, so this app is for traditional analog oscilloscope users rather than synth heads here on the Audiobus forum? The attack portion of a sound is pretty important in a musical instrument context so quite a shortcoming if it cant be viewed in your app. The same probably goes for any section of the envelope so it’s a bit limiting to have it only show the part before the volume dips below the threshold. I appreciate where your coming from but it might be useful to consider other users besides traditional scope users.

We are planning to do a similar type of view in an audio editor app to be released later on. That one will handle longer time intervals. This one is intended for short timescales and real-time viewing.

Doing the long timescale requires us to be more careful with memory management and may require some design changes.

I did wonder whether that may be the case for an AUv3 plugin.

It could stick around for a few seconds and then automatically disappear. Would that be enough?

I don’t want to add a button to show it and hide it because I want to keep the UI simple. Hence, the automatic hide suggestion.

It would be more useful to me to have it stick around.

Thanks

• edited August 2020

@Jocphone said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Jocphone said:

Hmm, so this app is for traditional analog oscilloscope users rather than synth heads here on the Audiobus forum? The attack portion of a sound is pretty important in a musical instrument context so quite a shortcoming if it cant be viewed in your app. The same probably goes for any section of the envelope so it’s a bit limiting to have it only show the part before the volume dips below the threshold. I appreciate where your coming from but it might be useful to consider other users besides traditional scope users.

The issue here is not about synth heads or scope users. When you write the abbreviation “trig” on an oscilloscope that implies a certain behaviour. If we change that then two things have to happen:

1. I need to figure out what to call it other than “trig”.
    2. I need to work out how it works and design it. What you are suggesting can be done but there are some interesting trade offs to work out. For example, after triggering, how long do you wait before you can allow it to trigger again? Or is it a one-shot thing where you have to press a button to reset the trigger each time?

Edit: the feature you are requesting (Or something similar) is found under the sweep mode section on my analog scope. The app is currently supporting NORM (normal) sweep mode. What you are looking for (i think) is the SINGL (single) mode where you have to press the button again each time you want to trigger so that it only triggers one single time for each note.

I am not sure why the image is on its side in the forum post. It looks vertical in my photos library.

• @Jocphone said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

Yes, please
    Yes, please
    Yes, please

@Blue_Mangoo

Also, do we have a chance to get a regular frequency distribution view?
    Not sure whats the correct name.

I mean, like with the FabFilters or the Analyser FX, you have some version already in your Parametric EQ, but this does not show the harmonics, as the other Apps:

• @tja said:

@Jocphone said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

Yes, please
    Yes, please
    Yes, please

@Blue_Mangoo

Also, do we have a chance to get a regular frequency distribution view?
    Not sure whats the correct name.

I mean, like with the FabFilters or the Analyser FX, you have some version already in your Parametric EQ, but this does not show the harmonics, as the other Apps:

This is a spectrum or spectral analyser. We are seriously considering adding this.

• @jolico said:

Yes. English is not the main language at our company.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@jolico said:

Yes. English is not the main language at our company.

Where is your accent from? I have tried to place it but i cannot.

• @Blue_Mangoo Have you bought about adding an option to toggle the 'Frequency Scaling' between Linear and Logarithmic?

Also adding a 'level gradient' to make it easier to distinguish the levels?(white = 0db and infinity 0 is black)

I've had some fun time using the app to hunt down pulsating noise-sources, so much easier to see visual fluctuations than actually hear them and when the image gets brighter it means I'm closer to the source...

One sidetone but for anyone interested in sound analysis I strongly recommend this app...
    https://apps.apple.com/app/id1353387223

It was free for a while when I got it but I would not regret purchasing it, sure it's not an AUv3 but it's pretty darn usable :)

Cheers!
    /Samuel

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Jocphone said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Jocphone said:

The issue here is not about synth heads or scope users. When you write the abbreviation “trig” on an oscilloscope that implies a certain behaviour. If we change that then two things have to happen:

2. I need to work out how it works and design it. What you are suggesting can be done but there are some interesting trade offs to work out. For example, after triggering, how long do you wait before you can allow it to trigger again? Or is it a one-shot thing where you have to press a button to reset the trigger each time?

Edit: the feature you are requesting (Or something similar) is found under the sweep mode section on my analog scope. The app is currently supporting NORM (normal) sweep mode. What you are looking for (i think) is the SINGL (single) mode where you have to press the button again each time you want to trigger so that it only triggers one single time for each note.

OK that looks promising. I could see a use for both:

1. Having it trigger on first attack with a variable delay until it is primed for triggering again.
    2. Having it trigger instantly when you tap an area on screen, maybe with some lookahead so that you could wait for an event in a long stream of audio and capture it by tapping when it arrives. The lookahead would allow for slow reaction times.

I think one important thing to remember is that many musician users of your app will often be using their hands to play an instrument or tweak some kind of hardware while viewing the graphs. This is why having hands-free modes to view different sections of a sound is crucial to effective usage.

• edited August 2020

@Samu said:
    @Blue_Mangoo Have you bought about adding an option to toggle the 'Frequency Scaling' between Linear and Logarithmic?

Yes. I thought about it. I used iZotope RX spectrogram every day for many years and I never once had a need for changing the scale to anything other than the default. That’s why I didn’t add the option. It seems to be something people play around with once or twice and then go back to Bark or mel scale. Log scale wastes way too much screen space on the lower octave where there isn’t enough resolution to clearly resolve frequencies. Linear scale doesn’t give enough space to the part of the spectrum below 1khz. Mel scale is an ok first attempt at good scaling. Bark scale is the better option. It avoids the pitfalls of both log and linear and it is a more elegant and easily reversible formula than mel scale.

One problem with oscilloscopes is that there are hundreds of switches and options you can think about adding but if you don’t keep it to the basics then you’ll end up with a user interface that looks like this:

Also adding a 'level gradient' to make it easier to distinguish the levels?(white = 0db and infinity 0 is black)

You mean we show a scale so that people know which colour corresponds to which dB level? We considered that too. (See image above)

I've had some fun time using the app to hunt down pulsating noise-sources, so much easier to see visual fluctuations than actually hear them and when the image gets brighter it means I'm closer to the source...

One sidetone but for anyone interested in sound analysis I strongly recommend this app...
    https://apps.apple.com/app/id1353387223

It was free for a while when I got it but I would not regret purchasing it, sure it's not an AUv3 but it's pretty darn usable :)

Cheers!
    /Samuel

That 4pockets app has a lot of nice features. I really appreciate the apps Paul makes. That one looks like it is from before the AU3 days. Is that right?

• @Jocphone said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Jocphone said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Jocphone said:

OK that looks promising. I could see a use for both:

1. Having it trigger on first attack with a variable delay until it is primed for triggering again.
    2. Having it trigger instantly when you tap an area on screen, maybe with some lookahead so that you could wait for an event in a long stream of audio and capture it by tapping when it arrives. The lookahead would allow for slow reaction times.

I think one important thing to remember is that many musician users of your app will often be using their hands to play an instrument or tweak some kind of hardware while viewing the graphs. This is why having hands-free modes to view different sections of a sound is crucial to effective usage.

We are looking into a sweep mode switch in the trig mode view. The problem right now is that I’m afraid of making the app too complicated. We are already confusing people as it is. We need to figure out how to do it without causing a situation where people can get stuck in a state where it doesn’t trigger and they don’t understand why.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    This is a spectrum or spectral analyser. We are seriously considering adding this.

That would be fantastic.

Need money?
    Add it as IAP option, i am willing to pay for any additional feature for this.

I want iZotope RX on iOS, with any thinkable option or display available.

• @tja said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

That would be fantastic.

Need money?

+1

Also, it would be awesome if the spectrogram feature was added to the new audio editor that’s coming out, so that we can see the complete track and maybe even mask selected frequency/time ranges.

• @jolico said:

@tja said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

That would be fantastic.

Need money?

+1

Also, it would be awesome if the spectrogram feature was added to the new audio editor that’s coming out, so that we can see the complete track and maybe even mask selected frequency/time ranges.

Certainly :)