Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Chord Bud 2 Out Now

Comments

• @Pierre118 said:

@cem_olcay said:
    Well it’s working perfectly in my tests. Anyways iOS 14 release is just around the corner.

In other words, the IOS 13 bug will not be fixed and we have to wait for IOS14?

The new version is coming up shortly. I’ve never had an issue.

• @xor

Yes I plan to do these things, I just haven't had a chance yet as I've been focused (in the little free time I have during the week) on trying to finish music. This weekend I will do some deeper diving.

It's possible it was the synths, but I couldn't find a synth that didn't have a problem - and none of the synths that I was using have been a problem for me before. Hence my question as to what synths you and @cem_olcay were using.

Another thing is that I was using pads with long attacks and decays so maybe there was something there.

• This is running fine for me. Strange 😅

• @cem_olcay

Maybe i am missing something here but it seems there is no way to quickly preview or play chords without entering them first in the timeline right?

Maybe its an idea to use midi notes as input trigger for previewing/playing all possible chords within a scale.

Or simply play the chord over midi out when tapping it on screen and have a seperate' insert to timeline button.

Basicly a PLAY input behaviour. All you need then is a seperate insert button.

That would make more sense as a chord tool.

Thank you for consideration.

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

@tpj said:
    @cem_olcay

Maybe i am missing something here but it seems there is no way to quickly preview or play chords without entering them first in the timeline right?

Maybe its an idea to use midi notes as input trigger for previewing/playing all possible chords within a scale.

Or simply play the chord over midi out when tapping it on screen and have a seperate' insert to timeline button.

Already done. See the post and video about the upcoming release above.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/849601/#Comment_849601

• Update in the app store! Cheers! 🥂 I'll be checking it out tomorrow!

• New​​update seems to be working well, haven't had any missed chords, delete is working, love the undo option, GREAT work @cem_olcay! The split function is basically a kind of ratchet, and this is something I wish all midi sequencers had.

And 'undo' is something I wish that pretty much EVERY app had, actually. Thank you for listening to your users, you're a great dev, in my book.

• Nice update! Thanks!

• Does anybody know how the CC pattern switching is supposed to work?

• @Paulinko said:
    Does anybody know how the CC pattern switching is supposed to work?

If it’s like stepbud send the pattern number as the value of the cc. I think the cc is 10?

• @cian I’m testing with bs-16i, Synthmaster One, and AudioKit apps (FM Player, Retro Piano, Digital D1, and Synth One).

@Gavinski, @wim thanks guys, I'm glad you liked the update!

@Paulinko, like @xor said above, you can send the pattern number that you want to select, to the pattern CC channel. It defaults to CC#10 but you can change it to anything you like in the settings menu. For example, if you want to select pattern number 3, just send the value 3 to the CC#10. You can use StepBud or Mozaic for sending/sequencing the CC messages.

• @cem_olcay said:
    @cian I’m testing with bs-16i, Synthmaster One, and AudioKit apps (FM Player, Retro Piano, Digital D1, and Synth One).

Awesome. I'll try with the synths that I was using (different ones) this weekend and see if I can replicate. Hopefully the answer is no, but if I can replicate it I'll try those synths as well.

I don't have much freetime, so I have to be quite regimented about what I use the iPad for during the week otherwise I never get anything done. :)

What I really want to do this weekend is try to write a new track using chordbud, arpbud and rhythmbud - feeding that all into Yukawa, and then controlling it with a custom NuRack MIDI controller for maximum Berlin school madness...

• @xor said:

@Paulinko said:

If it’s like stepbud send the pattern number as the value of the cc. I think the cc is 10?

I’m sending a continuous stream of CC 10 on MIDI channel 1 within the range of the patterns using either direct to ChordBud 2 or using the exposed AU pattern parameter without much success. I’ll see if I can send them in a more note like pulse.

• @Paulinko said:

@xor said:

@Paulinko said:

I’m sending a continuous stream of CC 10 on MIDI channel 1 within the range of the patterns using either direct to ChordBud 2 or using the exposed AU pattern parameter without much success. I’ll see if I can send them in a more note like pulse.

Oh yeah, they are actually triggers, don't send a continuous stream 😅
    I recorded a demo video with StepBud a couple of weeks ago:

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @cem_olcay said:

@Paulinko said:

@xor said:

@Paulinko said:

Oh yeah, they are actually triggers, don't send a continuous stream 😅
    I recorded a demo video with StepBud a couple of weeks ago:

Thank you, I was able to get ChordBud 2 to sequence using StepBud sending MIDI CC#10. I was so used to controlling in a knob like fashion where the controls were continuous that I didn’t think to consider the more discrete step like approach. I’m used to sending notes when it’s a button like toggle situation.

• edited September 2020

@Owgill said:
    What a great update. Sorry for repeating myself @cem_olcay but...

Wondering if this functionality could be added to arpbud2.
    I’d like to use chordbud2 to feed arpbud2.
    Could each note interval outputted from the arp be directed to a separate selectable midi channel?
    I guess this setting could be implemented in chordbud2 as well.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked the update!
    I think you can use a MIDI filter audio unit like a round-robin and get the desired effect. I don't have a recommended app in my mind right now but I'm sure Audiobus forum folk would help you on this! So, no need to implement that feature to ChordBud or ArpBud. That's the beauty of the modular audio unit tech :smile:

Edit: I bet you can do that with a Mosaic script. Mosaic is the best tool for doing advanced tasks like that!

• Think you can do this in AUM using filters. Send your output to your desired synths, then on each MIDI channel tell it the notes that you want to let through.

There's also a plugin that does this, but I'm blanking on which one. And Mozaic of course can totally do this.

• edited September 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • An amazing performance example with ChordBud 2 and ArpBud 2 😍

• @wim said:

@tpj said:
    @cem_olcay

You can trigger existing patterns with external midi. Thats not the same as my suggestion.

• @tpj said:

@wim said:

@tpj said:
    @cem_olcay

You can trigger existing patterns with external midi. Thats not the same as my suggestion.

I was responding to the question of being able to preview chords. That is now in the app.

• @wim said:

@tpj said:

@wim said:

@tpj said:
    @cem_olcay

I was responding to the question of being able to preview chords. That is now in the app.

In that case i will suggest it once more @cem_olcay

Maybe its an idea to use single midi notes as input trigger for previewing/playing/adding all chords within a scale.

Every key playing a different chord in realtime would be really cool. 👍🏻 Its a great feature in Scaler 2 as well.

• @cem_olcay So I was able to replicate that bug in the latest version of Chordbud. I tested it across several devices (including Rhythmbud) and it was an issue on all of them, though I haven't yet checked to see what's happening with a midi tracer.

I will see if I can pin the bug down more at the weekend, but some notes on what I was doing:

• I was adding and moving chords while the timeline was playing.
    • At one point there was a space on the timeline between chords.
    • I was changing the length of the timeline while the timeline was playing.

The bug manifests like this:

• loop of the timeline everything plays fine.
    • Second loop - one chord doesn't play
    • next loop everything plays fine
    • Next loop - the subsequent chord after the loop that didn't play the previous time, doesn't play.

Hope this helps. I will probably have some time at the weekend to see if I can quickly replicate it and create a simple AUM patch with an example of this.

• I had Chordbud in two projects in AUM, just doodles, nothing important. After the latest update all chords selected in both projects are just gone!
    Anyone else experienced this?

• @lasselu said:
    I had Chordbud in two projects in AUM, just doodles, nothing important. After the latest update all chords selected in both projects are just gone!

If you hand me one of them via any sharing option i can have a look if they are pre-filled or not.
    I did not experience this on my end until now.

• edited September 2020

@lasselu said:
    I had Chordbud in two projects in AUM, just doodles, nothing important. After the latest update all chords selected in both projects are just gone!

Same thing here. Right after updating to iPadOS14 I lost my chords progressions that I had in a couple of experiments in AUM with chordbuds. I enter them back and apparently they stay for good now.