Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Teisco Interface with iPad and iPhone

Teisco released a new audio interface in pedal format and I made a video with it using my iOS devices and effects apps. Nice tool to utilize apps within a regular signal chain. In the video I used
Eventide MicroPitch, Blackhole, UltraTap, Undulator, Discord4, Grind, Bias FX, Spectrum (Granular), and of course AUM.

Comments

• Does it work just bus powered? There's a comment on the YouTube video that says it needs power as showed by you using a powered CCK, but as I understand it the power to the CCK just goes to your iOS device, not the USB device?

Looks handy though if you want an interface down below. Nice vid.

$129 + free shipping US, $20 worldwide shipping.

• @steve99 said:
    Does it work just bus powered? There's a comment on the YouTube video that says it needs power as showed by you using a powered CCK, but as I understand it the power to the CCK just goes to your iOS device, not the USB device?

Looks handy though if you want an interface down below. Nice vid.

$129 + free shipping US, $20 worldwide shipping.

No it didn’t work without plugging in the power.
    Thanks. Yeah it’s a nice and useful tool.

• Keep seeing Tesco.

• @nothumanatall Hey, I saw your video on this and also recently bought the Interface pedal, but I noticed it has a huge volume drop when I engage it vs. bypass it. I've used it with Logic Pro and through AUM with an iPad Pro - tried with additional power plugged into the usb port as as well. I've got the channel gains set to unity for the input gain and output volume in logic or AUM, and all the knobs on the interface maxed out. Has this been your experience? Faulty unit?

• @topaz said:
    Keep seeing Tesco.

Me too. That would definitely be "non-food" :D

• @reverberator said:
    @nothumanatall Hey, I saw your video on this and also recently bought the Interface pedal, but I noticed it has a huge volume drop when I engage it vs. bypass it. I've used it with Logic Pro and through AUM with an iPad Pro - tried with additional power plugged into the usb port as as well. I've got the channel gains set to unity for the input gain and output volume in logic or AUM, and all the knobs on the interface maxed out. Has this been your experience? Faulty unit?

I also maxed all knobs on the pedal to get unity level. I experienced volume drop at first but then realized I was connecting it the wrong way. I was using mono in TRS stereo out. It worked fine when I connected mono in/out or stereo in/out. Maybe that’s the case with you?

• edited October 2020

@nothumanatall said:

@reverberator said:
    @nothumanatall Hey, I saw your video on this and also recently bought the Interface pedal, but I noticed it has a huge volume drop when I engage it vs. bypass it. I've used it with Logic Pro and through AUM with an iPad Pro - tried with additional power plugged into the usb port as as well. I've got the channel gains set to unity for the input gain and output volume in logic or AUM, and all the knobs on the interface maxed out. Has this been your experience? Faulty unit?

I also maxed all knobs on the pedal to get unity level. I experienced volume drop at first but then realized I was connecting it the wrong way. I was using mono in TRS stereo out. It worked fine when I connected mono in/out or stereo in/out. Maybe that’s the case with you?

Thanks for checking on this and your feedback. I have tried these scenarios:

• Guitar into interface, mono 1/4" cable, mono 1/4" cable out into pedalboard - interface first in chain.
    • 1/4" TS cable into both inputs from output of a stereo pedal (a Source Audio pedal running in stereo). 1/4" TS cables connect both outputs of the Interface into a stereo channel on a small mixer.

Are those the two setups that work for you?

• @reverberator said:

@nothumanatall said:

@reverberator said:

• Guitar into interface, mono 1/4" cable, mono 1/4" cable out into pedalboard - interface first in chain.
    • 1/4" TS cable into both inputs from output of a stereo pedal (a Source Audio pedal running in stereo). 1/4" TS cables connect both outputs of the Interface into a stereo channel on a small mixer.

Yes those work for me as heard in the video. You should probably contact Teisco.

• @nothumanatall said:

@reverberator said:

@nothumanatall said:

@reverberator said:

Yes those work for me as heard in the video. You should probably contact Teisco.

Hey,

Thanks for your response. I have contacted them maybe a week ago now but haven't heard back. I was able to get in touch with their support before about something else though.

• @nothumanatall, great demo!

I eventually bought one despite the obvious red flags like 16 bit AD/DA. Had the same issue as @reverberator. It turned out that besides the hardware knobs, the interface has software control over input and output gain and in my case the output was at -10dB, so setting it to 0 did the trick. With iOS devices, one has to make sure (system) volume is maxed.

I also couldn't resist taking it apart, so, FWIW, it uses a CM6533 chip for AD/DA conversion. I also measured roundtrip latency using RTL Utility on my mac (@ 48 kHz). Not as bad as I thought, but nowhere near what's considered good by today's standard.
    16 samples - 8.438 ms
    32 samples - 9.771 ms
    64 samples - 11.012 ms
    128 samples - 13.541 ms
    256 samples - 21.271 ms
    512 samples - 32.104 ms

On a side note, I really like the concept and form factor, as well as the fact that products like this (also Hotone Jogg, Xsonic stuff, Omec Teleport) are coming to the market. However, it seems to me all of them fall short somewhere, be it audio quality and latency, or connectivity and bypass options. (I seek to integrate it into an existing pedalboard setup, not replace the whole rig, so IMO an ideal box would be stereo send/return bypass looper w/ optional tails, combined with a good quality 2x2 audio interface. Latency is even more important here, since there may be other DSP boxes in the chain and it adds up.)

• edited November 2020

@nothumanatall, by the way, isn't the HX Stomp capable of something like this, i.e. sending to DAW and returning for its own internal processing? Seems that it has quite a number of routing options (channels) available as an audio interface. That would be 1 less AD/DA conversion...

• @YuriT said:
    @nothumanatall, great demo!

Thanks!

@YuriT said:
    @nothumanatall, by the way, isn't the HX Stomp capable of something like this, i.e. sending to DAW and returning for its own internal processing? Seems that it has quite a number of routing options (channels) available as an audio interface. That would be 1 less AD/DA conversion...

Makes sense and it should be able to do it. I tried it when I first got the HX Stomp, got confused about routing and channels and lost interest quickly. Then I completely forgot about it. I should probably look into it again.

• edited November 2020

@nothumanatall said:
    Makes sense and it should be able to do it. I tried it when I first got the HX Stomp, got confused about routing and channels and lost interest quickly. Then I completely forgot about it. I should probably look into it again.

I'm really curious about this and would appreciate if you let me know when (if) you try it again.