Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iVCS3 - Back Panel Audio Inputs / Sampler used to carry Control Voltages...

Hi everyone...

Some info on my Preset Banks for iVCS3... They contain more than a bank of presets...

For quite some time I have been pioneering the storage of LFO, Pitch Data and Envelope CV Structures within standard Audio .wav Files and, in fact, recently gave a lecture on the subject at the 5th International Csound Conference.

Basically, Audio is a change of Amplitude Voltage over Time and an audio .wav file is merely the storage of these voltage changes represented by contiguous samples... Of course, the waveform described by the samples does not actually have to be within the frequency of human hearing so with that in mind it is possible to store, for example, a triangle wave with a period frequency below 20Hz ie a "Low Frequency Oscillation". Once this LFO waveform is stored, the .wav file can be loaded into one of iVCS3's Input Samplers and then patched via Matrix Rows 8 or 9 to modulate any desired destination.

Similarly an Envelope Transient can also be thought of as a change in voltage (perceived amplitude) over time and therefore can also be described by samples in exactly the same way. So by encoding the Envelope Transient into a .wav file, this also can be loaded and used to modulate destinations in the same way, triggered in sync with DK/SEQ notes or the Attack Button.

Of course when these sample files are applied to Oscillator pitch this allows the file to be used as an ultra high resolution sequencer...

I have designed suites of these CV Files which I include with my preset banks enhancing iVCS3's sonic possibilities both for my presets but they can also be used in your own patches.

If anyone has any questions about this, or indeed, any other iVCS3 related questions I am happy to answer as best as I can...

Cheers,
James.

P.S.
As the CV data is stored in the Audio Domain, it can be transmitted via standard audio busses which includes between apps and modules, however care must be taken with regard to levels to ensure a meaningful resultant modulation...

(Of course the files themselves are copyrighted and cannot be shared without permission)

Comments

• Here is an example of multiple iVCS3s sending CV over audio to each other and using CV Envelopes to achieve a "playable" sequence with a punchy attack bass...
    https://youtu.be/Vb3EhS5dB_o

• This is also fairly standard practice within an app called SunVox, a cross platform tracker and modular synth that provides only simple envelope generators out of the box but has a drawing mode in its sample module and so users often lean on it for more complex modulation purposes.

• Have also demonstrated this with Moog Model 15 and MiRack, it is very powerful as you can sculpt the exact Env or LFO behaviour you require at a very high resolution...👍

• James - you're the man. You have a grasp of the science behind sound that I truly admire. Brilliant work, mate - truly. Love this stuff.

• Is this connected to a new preset bank?

• Very interesting @JEC. For those who are interested, the talk James mentioned can be found here, it starts on page 80 of the PDF:

https://csound.com/icsc2019/proceedings/ProceedingsICSC2019.pdf

• Yes, this is cool stuff.

And welcome to the form @JEC ! I thought you were an old hand here as I have seen you on FB over the years :smile:

• @gusgranite said:
    Is this connected to a new preset bank?

⬆️ This guy gets it.

• edited August 2020

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@gusgranite said:

⬆️ This guy gets it.

Lol. I really like JEC's iVCS preset banks so am keen to know if a new one is out :smile:

• @gusgranite said:

• Many thanks for the welcome.

@gusgranite , normally iVCS3 preset banks are stored as a single text file containing each preset’s parameter settings. In addition to this the audio files used in the sampler module of presets within the bank are additional files which are bundled with the bank file.

My banks are bundled in the same way i.e. there is a preset bank file and accompanying CV files. These files can then be used by users in their own patches by simply loading into input sampler channel 1 or 2 and then setting the rate, input level and trigger switch (off,DK,SEQ). The input Mix parameter should be set to fully on to prevent audio input signals from the mic or line in, interfering with the CV structure.

Additionally there is an iVCS3 global parameter which can also affect the CV Files operation. “Samplers Enable Loop Points Fade” MUST be set to “Off” otherwise the initial transient of a CV Envelope or Crossfade of a CV LFO can be processed differently by iVCS3. All current new downloads of iVCS3 now have this global parameter set to “Off” by default.

The new, soon to be released bank is almost finished. There only remains to normalise the bank and add the performance/explanation notes to each preset, which actually takes longer to do than the actual programming lol

The release date for the new bank is dependent on the next iVCS3 update which will hopefully mark the release of iVCS3 on MacOS! 🎶👍

• @JEC Welcome! Good to see you here.. Truly appreciate all the interesting sounds that you’ve created for iVCS3.. 🙏 no doubt, it’s a unique beast.. look forward to more insights, tips + tricks.. You’re obviously at one with this crazed machine..

• @royor, great to have found the forum. Thanks.

Hi @Daveypoo great to catch up with you, hope you and the family are well and staying safe! Many thanks for your iVCS3 series! Looking forward to some advanced episodes! 😉👍

• Hi @Daveypoo great to catch up with you, hope you and the family are well and staying safe! Many thanks for your iVCS3 series! Looking forward to some advanced episodes! 😉👍

I'm doing my best, man - life in the states lately has been "interesting" to say the least. We're safe for the moment - the front door is currently holding the wolves at bay.

I'd like to get back to this at some point, schedule and life permitting and all. Looking forward to the new sound packs - you're a master of this stuff. I like that I not only get some killer tones, but I also get an education! ;)

• @JEC said:
    Hi everyone...

Some info on my Preset Banks for iVCS3... They contain more than a bank of presets...

For quite some time I have been pioneering the storage of LFO, Pitch Data and Envelope CV Structures within standard Audio .wav Files and, in fact, recently gave a lecture on the subject at the 5th International Csound Conference.

Basically, Audio is a change of Amplitude Voltage over Time and an audio .wav file is merely the storage of these voltage changes represented by contiguous samples... Of course, the waveform described by the samples does not actually have to be within the frequency of human hearing so with that in mind it is possible to store, for example, a triangle wave with a period frequency below 20Hz ie a "Low Frequency Oscillation". Once this LFO waveform is stored, the .wav file can be loaded into one of iVCS3's Input Samplers and then patched via Matrix Rows 8 or 9 to modulate any desired destination.

Similarly an Envelope Transient can also be thought of as a change in voltage (perceived amplitude) over time and therefore can also be described by samples in exactly the same way. So by encoding the Envelope Transient into a .wav file, this also can be loaded and used to modulate destinations in the same way, triggered in sync with DK/SEQ notes or the Attack Button.

Of course when these sample files are applied to Oscillator pitch this allows the file to be used as an ultra high resolution sequencer...

I have designed suites of these CV Files which I include with my preset banks enhancing iVCS3's sonic possibilities both for my presets but they can also be used in your own patches.

If anyone has any questions about this, or indeed, any other iVCS3 related questions I am happy to answer as best as I can...

Cheers,
    James.

P.S.
    As the CV data is stored in the Audio Domain, it can be transmitted via standard audio busses which includes between apps and modules, however care must be taken with regard to levels to ensure a meaningful resultant modulation...

(Of course the files themselves are copyrighted and cannot be shared without permission)

Really fascinating.

• This app is very interresting. Not your everyday "normal" synth, but very rewarding when you learned it.
    I was very curious about this app. At first, I was intimidating I'm not gonna lie.

I made my homework today and learned the basics of iVCS3.

Alessandro was kind enough to let me try the app. I made a beginner tutorial about the App in French (with a short story of the VSC3).

Alessandro also gave me a code to offer to a viewer with the latest JEC 2020 bank IAP.

Comment the video and tomorrow I will draw a random number to give away the code.

The presets are good, but I really prefer making my own patch just for the fun of it.
    I'm not the best sound designer ever, but when I find a sound that I like I'm really proud of me; it's a weird feeling that I like.

• I’ve found it really relaxing to just play with in the way you mention...