Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Arpbud 2 AUv3 RELEASED by Cem Olcay

Comments

• @cem_olcay are you also going to add some customizable randomisation features to Stepbud?

• edited August 2020

No promises atm :smiley:

• edited September 2020

The new update released!

• In Drambo. I can input notes and use knobs to adjust arp. This can be recorded and played back exactly as inputed.

Can this be achieved with arpbud and a sequencer/pianoroll?

Sequencer triggers arp start and arp be exactly as programmed?

Thanks.

• A new version is up! I updated the UI a little bit, it looks nicer now!

• edited November 2020

Is it possible for a note to be held for longer than 1 step? If I set the gate length to maximum, the note will still be re-triggered at each step. (What I would like to achieve is a different interval length for each step, like the "rate" in stepbud).

So if I wanted to play a note for 2 steps withoug retriggering at step 2, I'd have expected I would just have to set gate length of step 1 to TIE, so that the next note will not re-trigger. But what happens is that the 2nd step will basically just be muted. (Or sometimes triggered, I believe that might be a bug?)

• Hey Cem and gang. Hoping someone can help me here. I bought Arpbud last week and am having an issue (most likely user error!). I'm using it as an AUv3 midi plugin in Nanostudio 2 however I cannot hear anything when playing. If I record I can hear ArpBud working and of course the recorded notes will trigger ArpBud when played back. The same thing happens in Beatmaker. What am I missing here? I also have Scalebud and this works as expected so it's nothing to do with my setup. I don't use AUM. Any help greatly appreciated.

• @Cambler said:
    Hey Cem and gang. Hoping someone can help me here. I bought Arpbud last week and am having an issue (most likely user error!). I'm using it as an AUv3 midi plugin in Nanostudio 2 however I cannot hear anything when playing. If I record I can hear ArpBud working and of course the recorded notes will trigger ArpBud when played back. The same thing happens in Beatmaker. What am I missing here? I also have Scalebud and this works as expected so it's nothing to do with my setup. I don't use AUM. Any help greatly appreciated.

Make sure you route midi into Arp Bud, either notes or chords or sequenced or by playing them, it then arpeggiates the incoming midi based off all the settings you set, then connect to synth and it sends midi out to that synth.

• @Poppadocrock said:

@Cambler said:
    Hey Cem and gang. Hoping someone can help me here. I bought Arpbud last week and am having an issue (most likely user error!). I'm using it as an AUv3 midi plugin in Nanostudio 2 however I cannot hear anything when playing. If I record I can hear ArpBud working and of course the recorded notes will trigger ArpBud when played back. The same thing happens in Beatmaker. What am I missing here? I also have Scalebud and this works as expected so it's nothing to do with my setup. I don't use AUM. Any help greatly appreciated.

Make sure you route midi into Arp Bud, either notes or chords or sequenced or by playing them, it then arpeggiates the incoming midi based off all the settings you set, then connect to synth and it sends midi out to that synth.

Thanks for replying @Poppadocrock. I'm using it as a Midi FX in Nanostudio 2 so it should all work without any routing needed. As mentioned, Scaelbud works fine when used in this way. Am I missing something unique to Arpbud?

• @Cambler said:

You finally got approved I see, congrats!

• @Gavinski said:

@Cambler said:

Hah - thanks Gavinski!

• edited December 2020

@Cambler said:

@Poppadocrock said:

@Cambler said:

Thanks for replying @Poppadocrock. I'm using it as a Midi FX in Nanostudio 2 so it should all work without any routing needed. As mentioned, Scaelbud works fine when used in this way. Am I missing something unique to Arpbud?

Unlike other arps, Aprbud will only give out notes when the song is playing. It won't do anything when you've paused in NS2. Guess it only works while its host's MIDI clock is ticking. Maybe that's the problem?

• @Cambler said:

@Gavinski said:

@Cambler said:

Hah - thanks Gavinski!

Try to post a video or at least screenshots showing your setup maybe

• @dobbs said:

@Cambler said:

@Poppadocrock said:

@Cambler said:

Unlike other arps, Aprbud will only give out notes when the song is playing. It won't do anything when you've paused in NS2. Guess it only works while its host's MIDI clock is ticking. Maybe that's the problem?

Ahh this is such a bummer if correct. I'm wondering how people use it with IOS DAWs then (NS2, Cubasis 3, BM3 etc)? Do you simply record a melodic line and then apply the arpeggio afterwards, rather than performing and recording the arpeggio? Such a pity if this is the case as the arp options and final result are wonderful.

• edited December 2020

At least that´s the behavoir in AUM. My guess it behaves this way because it is an offspring of Stepbud.

Another nice addition to turn it into a "full" Arp would be to allow restarting of the sequence when you press a key instead of following the midi clock... Rozeta Arp and the arp in my hardware all behave this way...

• @dobbs said:
    At least that´s the behavoir in AUM. My guess it behaves this way because it is an offspring of Stepbud.

Another nice addition to turn it into a "full" Arp would be to allow restarting of the sequence when you press a key instead of following the midi clock... Rozeta Arp and the arp in my hardware all behave this way...

Thanks @dobbs. So I'm interested to understand how you all use this as a midi plugin (or in any other context)? Is there anyone here using ArpBud in Cubasis or NS2? I just assumed you would set the parameters and then play for a bit, perform and record. Love all the options and final result but need to be able to play with it first before recording.

• @Cambler said:

@dobbs said:

Thanks @dobbs. So I'm interested to understand how you all use this as a midi plugin (or in any other context)? Is there anyone here using ArpBud in Cubasis or NS2? I just assumed you would set the parameters and then play for a bit, perform and record. Love all the options and final result but need to be able to play with it first before recording.

I don't know anything about ns2, but it sounds like all you need to do is press play in the transport, no need to record anything. No?

• edited December 2020

I use it with latch enabled in combination with a chord generator like scalebud so that I can easily trigger chord switches without thinking too much about the scale I'm in while I'm playing with another instrument.

it sounds like all you need to do is press play in the transport, no need to record anything. No?

That's correct

• @dobbs said:
    I use it with latch enabled in combination with a chord generator like scalebud so that I can easily trigger chord switches without thinking too much about the scale I'm in while I'm playing with another instrument.

If I pop Scalebud in the Midi FX inserts with Arpbud them again I hear nothing when playing the on screen keyboard or an external keyboard. Scalebud by itself works.

it sounds like all you need to do is press play in the transport, no need to record anything. No?

That's correct

Yep I guess however I can't understand why I can't hear the result when not in playback or record mode like other insert FX (midi or audio)? I'd love to be able to play around first, with having to play the rest of the composition along with it

Not whinging, just trying to understand it. Does anyone else use this with an IOS DAW in this way?

Really appreciate everyone's input. Thanks!

• edited December 2020

Yeah but, see, scalebud is a keyboard, arpbud is first and foremost a sequencer without an internal "clock". In my scenario I also have to start the timeline. arpbud needs the midi clock information to know when to trigger what note. I believe for example the "sequencer" mode in StepPolyArp works the same way. Arpbuds note sequence is not started by the key press coming in, but the sequence/notes are "glued" to the timeline. Maybe think of it this way: arpbud goes through its sequence as long as the timeline is running and you pressing notes just turns arpbud's output on or off. If the timeline doesn't progress, arpbud's internal sequence also doesn't progress.

• Oh yea @Gavinski mentioned the host has to be running for AB2

• @dobbs said:
    Yeah but, see, scalebud is a keyboard, arpbud is first and foremost a sequencer without an internal "clock". In my scenario I also have to start the timeline. arpbud needs the midi clock information to know when to trigger what note. I believe for example the "sequencer" mode in StepPolyArp works the same way. Arpbuds note sequence is not started by the key press coming in, but the sequence/notes are "glued" to the timeline. Maybe think of it this way: arpbud goes through its sequence as long as the timeline is running and you pressing notes just turns arpbud's output on or off. If the timeline doesn't progress, arpbud's internal sequence also doesn't progress.

Thanks for the explanation. The inner workings make sense now. I'm too used to arp midifx on desktop DAWs (at least on Waveform V11 anyway). I guess the best working method is to loop a section of the song and play along until the magic happens. All good!

Oh and apologies for the 2nd username above. Had trouble signing up initially so tried a second sign up and then both got accepted. Must have been signed in on my phone for one of those posts. Will delete!

Thanks again. Awesome forum.

• I have never been able to use this app. Open Aum, a MIDI channel and an Audio channel. Open Arpbud 2 in the MIDI channel but it does not show Interval, Velocity, Octave etc, it shows Note, Velocity, Octave etc instead. That would be fine but I cannot delete the 8 steps that are there already, in order to begin faffing and I think that's the reason why. I also cannot change any of the steps except the one in the middle. I have tried turning off random intervals in the Settings. It's the same in apeMatrix too. Deleted and reinstalled Aum and Arpbud2 with no difference.

Does anyone know what will change this please?

• wimwim
    edited December 2020

@ashh said:
    I have never been able to use this app. Open Aum, a MIDI channel and an Audio channel. Open Arpbud 2 in the MIDI channel but it does not show Interval, Velocity, Octave etc, it shows Note, Velocity, Octave etc instead. That would be fine but I cannot delete the 8 steps that are there already, in order to begin faffing and I think that's the reason why. I also cannot change any of the steps except the one in the middle. I have tried turning off random intervals in the Settings. It's the same in apeMatrix too. Deleted and reinstalled Aum and Arpbud2 with no difference.

Does anyone know what will change this please?

Hit the minus (“-“) sign at the right to delete steps.
    I can’t think of why you can’t change any but the middle step. It works fine here.

Wait. Maybe you’ve disabled the steps by tapping the numbers at the top. That’s a toggle on/off for the step. You can’t adjust a step that’s turned off.

• edited December 2020

Cheers @wim, that made me open Ab2 on its own. I'm guessing that Note has replaced Interval in the interface, which is why I'm no longer seeing that. Anyway, without a DAW I can add and replace steps, so that's progress. With a DAW isn't the same. The add or subtract symbols won't do their thing and I can't change any step except the 4th one, in a vertical slider kinda way. I have it hooked up to BS16i and can play that with the AUM keyboard etc. Still nothing. Any thoughts? I know this is going to be one of those where I end up slapping my forehead but I really can't see what I'm doing wrong.

• @ashh said:
    Cheers @wim, that made me open Ab2 on its own. I'm guessing that Note has replaced Interval in the interface, which is why I'm no longer seeing that. Anyway, without a DAW I can add and replace steps, so that's progress. With a DAW isn't the same. The add or subtract symbols won't do their thing and I can't change any step except the 4th one, in a vertical slider kinda way. I have it hooked up to BS16i and can play that with the AUM keyboard etc. Still nothing. Any thoughts? I know this is going to be one of those where I end up slapping my forehead but I really can't see what I'm doing wrong.

If the + and - buttons don't work and you can't enable/disable steps by tapping the number at the top of each one, then I'm stumped. Which DAW(s), what iOS version, and what hardware? It sounds like it's time to ping @cem_olcay.