Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ways to record ipad into pc daw

I need some input on how to record the ipad using an instrument app, or/connected to a midi controller connected to the ipad, into a computer daw . Obviously there's the ipad headphone out into line in on an audio interface, which is probably the worst choice. And I'm looking at the iconnectivity mio devices where I assume the ipad could be connected by usb/lightning and run the midi out to a audio interface, and possibly use the midi in to connect to a keyboard. How's this work ? And I looked into studiomux but doesn't that precludes using a keyboard? If people could give their ideas/experience I'd appreciate learning the best/other methods for integrating the ipad with a computer daw. thanks in advance.

Comments

• wimwim
    edited August 2020

I'm assuming you're talking about a Windows pc here?

Short answer: if you don't absolutely need to record "live" into the PC, then I find it's much more effective just to capture to audio files then transfer to the PC. AudioShare has a simple FTP/Web server for this purpose and there are other ways too.

If you need to play live, then StudioMux, if you can get it working reliably can work, and does not preclude using a keyboard. It transfers both audio and midi both directions. Some people have luck with StudioMux and some don't.

The iConnectivity devices are the most often mentioned audio interfaces used for direct connectivity.

• edited August 2020

I've been working on desktop (mac) more these days. I really want Factory (sugar bytes) on desktop but it is $139. u.s.
    I do have it on ios and am wondering how to integrate it with my desktop setup. What might be the best way?

Eg. Can I send midi from Live back to ipad and then record the audio from Factory back into Live? Or something like that? I've never done this so be gentle my friends. I'm a pretty rubbish live player so midi is my friend.

• wimwim
    edited August 2020

@kinkujin said:
    I've been working on desktop (mac) more these days. I really want Factory (sugar bytes) on desktop but it is $139. u.s.
    I do have it on ios and am wondering how to integrate it with my desktop setup. What might be the best way?

Eg. Can I send midi from Live back to ipad and then record the audio from Factory back into Live? Or something like that? I've never done this so be gentle my friends. I'm a pretty rubbish live player so midi is my friend.

Yes, with IDAM midi is bi-directional, so you can send midi from Live to the iPad and have the audio stream to the Mac. The only limitation with IDAM is audio is iPad > Mac only, not the other way around.

IDAM is set up in the "Audio and MIDI" app normally found under "Other" in the launcher. I kept looking for it in the System Preferences when I got my first Mac.

• Thanks @wim and @WillieNegus . Dead simple is my speed!

• edited August 2020

thanks again. Yes pc. and I'd like to not be transferring files between my pc and ipad if I can help it. I'm aware of IDAM but my macbook only went to 10.10, and idam requires 10.13. I did alot on garageband in that macbook but I'm beginning to use windows 10 running mixcraft 9, and trying to diversify my instrumentation . And Mixcraft is a stepup more powerful, and it's instruments more articulating than the jam packs. So I'd like to play ipad instruments with ipad itself, like thumbjam or ifretless , or with a keyboard midi controller using the ipad instruments..... or maybe launchpad x, digitally recording directly into mixcraft. I'm also playing with midi guitar and wondering how to integrate the ios version into a workflow. Would I need 2 audio interfaces ? Anybody have any enlightenment on that ? Would the irig pro duo i/o resolve that situation, allowing me to connect my guitar into the interface....and also allow my ipad to talk to my pc ? Is anyone aware of more options than the iconnectivity interfaces and irig midi 2, and pro duo i/o? Or can I do all this with just another usb audio interface with midi in's and out's ?

• StudioMux might be worth a try for you. ymmv, but it's a lot cheaper than an interface or two.

• dunnoknow....seeing difficulty people have had with it, a cheap hardware solution looks more enticing. And a cheaper interface is cheaper than a new mac mini. I'm drawn to the zoom u24. Having xlr/trs input is essential. I'd appreciate any thoughts on the subject. thanks wim

• Studiomux has been working brilliantly for me over the last month - here's a workflow post I put up recently. On OSX High Sierra into Live and Bitwig.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/827849/#Comment_827849

Since then I've branched out to 2 devices at the same time, working smoothly so far - iPad mini 2 iOS 12 (or iPad Air 2 iOS 13) with multi apps (Samplr, sEGments and more) and an iPhone 7+ iOS 13 running Reslice (I'd read reports that the phone didn't work well with Studiomux, but maybe that was the non-plus iPhone 7?).

I was close to buying an iConnect interface, but that's not apparently all plain sailing anyway. Studiomux for £10 with an upcoming promise of an update has more than fulfilled my original desire to fire audio and midi back and forward.

• thanks steve, i'll read the thread

• @kinkujin said:

Factory (desktop) is on sale right now https://vstbuzz.com/deals/50-off-factory-by-sugar-bytes