Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Moodunits from Moodscaper [auv3] // Available Now!!!

Comments

• @moodscaper : love the idea of these, I’ve got a ton of complex apps but nearly always end up using each of them for a couple of known quantity sounds, and being able to slot in just what is required, without killing the cpu, sounds cool to me. This will be an instabuy for me.

• I keep seeing 'Whodunnit' in the app name. :)

• @moodscaper said:

@despego said:
    What about MPE? @moodscaper
    Any plans?

yes :smile: As you may know from touchscaper, MPE is very much "on my radar". Waverley (moodunits main instrument) currently does not support it... yet.

That would be awesome, @moodscaper

• Rolling out now, for anyone interested :smile:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1521447619

• Good Timing. Just purchased😊

• Bought this without even watching a demo

• @Fingolfinzzz said:
    Bought this without even watching a demo

same

• H> @johnfromberkeley said:

@Fingolfinzzz said:
    Bought this without even watching a demo

same

Same here👍

• I don't totally understand what it is.
    It's a rompler with very rudimentary effects? But they're AU and superlightweight, which seems to be the big selling point. But ... can another app of his host them, maybe?

• edited August 2020

@moodscaper : Bought. Small point: inside AUM I usually set Art Kerns’ MidiLFOs to channel 1, cc 1 as a default for filter sweeps etc. All the AU parameters are present and correct in the Moodunit FX parameters visible below the AUM channel, but at present do not appear to be reacting to allocated MidiLFOs. Are cc values fixed? Or is there something else I am missing? Also, update: using lfos also appears to cause instacrash on the delay unit if the AUM transport is running. Running on PadOS 13.6, IPad Air 2018 256 gb.

• edited August 2020

whoa massive download size yeesh. Why so big @moodscaper ?

• edited August 2020

@sippy_cup said:
    whoa massive download size yeesh. Why so big @moodscaper ?

And why the need to be on 13.5? I’m bug free on 13.4 and really didn’t wanna have to update

• @moodscaper Is the an eta? And I’m Stressing the e.

• @Poppadocrock it's already out, no need for any 'e' lol

• Time for a @Gavinski tutorial

• Uh wha wha wha....

• @moodscaper Well that was quick. caught me by surprise.. Need to top up on the money-units before I can get the moodunits.. consider it bought.. and congrats on the new release.. 🥳

• @Prog1967 said:
    Time for a @Gavinski tutorial

I was supposed to be on the beta, have problems with test flight, waiting anxiously for Rob @moodscaper to send me a code and then I'll be on the case!

• edited August 2020

@Svetlovska - thanks for the heads-up on those. I'll take a look at that!

@sippy_cup - it's big because it has a lot of samples. Almost 700 individual files.

@Gavinski - code(s) en route - no pressure :smile:

• it sounds great! no flashy UI, but who cares!!

Synth sounds are straight forward, warm and vibey.

Delay is cool, is capable of a reallllllly long (forever?) feedback.

Reverb goes up to 20 seconds and is lush and warm sounding

Filter is great, simple LPF with an LFO capable of really slow modulation (30 seconds) would be great if there were more filter modes available

EQ is limited with set frequency's but sounds good, not too harsh when boosting things, and feels smooth with the cuts.

Overall, I rate it 5 stars, would love some more features, but im sure they are coming.

• edited August 2020

@Svetlovska

MIDI CC support is currently an "undocumented" feature subject to change, but you've probably worked out some standard CCs, such as #74 are assigned to the internal filter cutoff.

AUv3 parameter automation still seems to be a bit non-standard / wild-west situation at the moment... For example, in GarageBand, I don't think you can even do any automation "out the box" other than volume envelopes? @Gavinski can probably put me straight on that. Also... IMHO... GarageBand and MIDI? Forget it :smile:

Probably not what you want to hear as an automation power-user, but I'm not actively pushing MIDI CC automation support as a selling point of moodunits right now especially as 80% (?) of my target audience won't know about stuff like that, especially if they're GB users. They're supposed to be more of a "set and forget" type of thing. Simple modulation such as filter sweeps, panning and tremolo are handled by the basic LFOs built in to the moodunits instrument(s) and effects themselves.

Also, I'm trying to reproduce the crash you mentioned with AUM and midiLFO but no luck so far. If you could spare the time to describe a simple AUM session where you're able to reproduce the issue, that would be much appreciated. Bit weird as the delay shouldn't be responding to any MIDI messages.

• _ki_ki
    edited August 2020

@moodscaper I just did a test, and could ‚silence‘ the MU Lagg Delay by automating any of its AU parameters.

Here‘s how to setup:

1. New AUM session
    2. Add midi track, add Rozeta XY
    3. Add audio track, add file player, add a wav, set loop
    4. Add MU Lagg Delay as audio FX to audio track
    5. Hit play, loop should be playing with added delay
    6. Open AUMs MIDI Matrix, route Rozeta XY to Midi Control
    7. Press the audio tracks name to open a popup, press the midi control icon in the top left
    8. Scroll down to MU Lagg Delays AU parameter list, press ‚Wet Dry Mix‘, now choose CHannel 1, CC 1
    9. Loop is still playing, open Rozeta XY and move the right vertical silder (this is CC1)
      => Audio is dead

If automating the ‚delay time‘ this way i could get a permanent buzz.

What would have been expected:

• Moving Rozetas silder moves the ‚wet dry mix‘ accordingly

Remarks

• All of the ‚visible‘ AU parametes should be automatable that way
    • As an LFO test, you could use Rozeta LFO or MidiLFO. These will send out CCs about every 10-25msec - so your plugin might need some extra code to not get flooded by the parameters.

BTW: Automating ‚MU Ayr Reverb‘ s mix didn‘t silence the plugin, but it didn‘t work either.

I assume it‘s something with your AU parameter code, didn‘t check the other plugins.

My system: iPad Pro 10.5, IOS 13.6

• edited August 2020

Update / clarity on this coming soon...

• Interesting - just tried 16 instances of MU Waverley in Nanostudio2 (and I DID choose some of the hefty reverb ones too) - and it coped admirably! Admittedly it had problems rendering on the mix down, but NS2 is known for that when multiple AU’s are loaded (besides which, you can always load up NS2 in AUM and record the mix). I’m sure that if I tried the same experiment in AUM/Xequence I could load even more (IPad Pro 2017). A really nice mix of usable sounds and all in all, most impressive Rob! Look forward to the next batch of instruments!

• _ki_ki
    edited August 2020

@moodscaper Its not parameter automation via midi, its AU parameter automation:

Midi automation uses midi CC received as 3 byte integer midi message with a value range of 0 to 127 in an AUv3 midi callback - thats something different.

In my scenario the parameters were delivered as floats on AU parameter callbacks. For AUM these AU parameters are converted from midi messages - thats where the mixup might come from. But the apeMatrix host for instance has build-in support for LFO and other AUv3 parameter automation, there is no midi involved at all.

I don‘t mind waiting for a bugfix, take your time :) If you update the app store description, please use „AU parameter automation is not supported“ instead of „midi automation“

IIRC you can write-disable the AUv3 parameters and then they no longer show up in the hosts AU parameter list.

• Wow does it sound lovely.

• edited August 2020

@_ki - yes my bad, and sorry about the confusion (all mine).

And yes, you're spot on correct. It would appear that AUM treats any parameter that is flagged as "writable" as a parameter that can be presented to the user and potentially subjected to automation - how would AUM know anyway? :smile:

Under the hood there are also more performance-specific type flags regarding ramping and realtime control, which I set in moodunits - 99% of parameters are not set to be "realtime" controllable. However, because everything was also marked as writable, they were surfaced in the AUM UI for you to play with! :blush:

Please note that currently only the Loch Awe filter AU cutoff and resonance parameters are suitable for realtime parameter modulation / automation in hosts, so I'm correcting that with a 1.0.1 hot fix.

@Hypervox & @Poppadocrock - THANK YOU! Glad you're enjoying moodunits.

• I noticed the word granular in some of the pre-release screenshots. Are there granular type synth presets too, or is it a basic granular/delay AU in the effects units?

• All good.

I really enjoy the sound of Weaverly - setting up multiple instances susing identical midi input with different envelops and sounds allows for cool evolving pads :)