Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Moodunits from Moodscaper [auv3] // Available Now!!!

Comments

• All i do see is touchscaper. Whats the addition AUv3-wise? Effects and synths to be played inside TS, or also to be played within other apps?

• @kinkujin said:
    So, these are little "synth-lets" that you can load in Touchscaper? I'm unsure what is so revolutionary here. Not trying to bash but I must be missing something. Enlighten me?

i think they are auv3s he’s controlling with touchscaper but they are loaded into aum as normal. also i believe they are sample based with just enough control to do all the standard parameters

• edited August 2020

@kinkujin said:
    So, these are little "synth-lets" that you can load in Touchscaper? I'm unsure what is so revolutionary here.

@reasOne - yep, that's exactly what this is all about - thanks!

I'm certainly not claiming to have done anything revolutionary here :wink: But... they're AUv3s so you can load them into any AU host (*). I see a lot of instrument apps that have originally been designed to be great standalone, with lots of features, built-in effects and so on and then made AU-compatible further down the line. I've taken the other direction - taken basic ideas for single function apps and packaged them as individual AUs - a bit like individual stomp boxes instead of an all-singing all-dancing multi-fx unit. And there's no "standalone" mode with moodunits.

There's other stuff like CPU load and so on - why load a monster of an app, when all you want is a buzzy saw wave bass sound. Plus, I don't know about you, but I find some apps pretty hard to understand and navigate, especially when you're in "letterbox" UI format or maybe don't use them that often. So moodunits are designed to only have a few parameters to tweak and the UI can be sized really small so they're iPhone-friendly too - exactly the same UI.

But yeah, if you love tweaking and doing your own sound design, you might not find moodunits very exciting :smile:

(*) just to be clear, touchscaper is not an AU host. I'm using AUM for these demos.

• @moodscaper said:

@kinkujin said:
    So, these are little "synth-lets" that you can load in Touchscaper? I'm unsure what is so revolutionary here.

I'm certainly not claiming to have done anything revolutionary here :wink: But... they're AUv3s so you can load them into any AU host (*). I see a lot of instrument apps that have originally been designed to be great standalone, with lots of features, built-in effects and so on and then made AU-compatible further down the line. I've taken the other direction - taken basic ideas for single function apps and packaged them as individual AUs - a bit like individual stomp boxes instead of an all-singing all-dancing multi-fx unit. And there's no "standalone" mode with moodunits.

There's other stuff like CPU load and so on - why load a monster of an app, when all you want is a buzzy saw wave bass sound. Plus, I don't know about you, but I find some apps pretty hard to understand and navigate, especially when you're in "letterbox" UI format or maybe don't use them that often. So moodunits are designed to only have a few parameters to tweak and the UI can be sized really small so they're iPhone-friendly too - exactly the same UI.

But yeah, if you love tweaking and doing your own sound design, you might not find moodunits very exciting :smile:

(*) just to be clear, touchscaper is not an AU host. I'm using AUM for these demos.

I hope I didn't come off as ... a ... tool there. But your answer is clear and I look forward to hearing more of it all.

• @moodscaper said:

@kinkujin said:

that sounds perfect!! can i buy it now? if it even has a fraction of the awesomeness touchscaper has, its gonna be very inspiring. i can’t wait

• @moodscaper said:
    So moodunits are designed to only have a few parameters to tweak

You are speaking my language.. less = more
    less stuff to tweak = more time to play + enjoy.. 👍

• @royor said:

@moodscaper said:
    So moodunits are designed to only have a few parameters to tweak

You are speaking my language.. less = more
    less stuff to tweak = more time to play + enjoy.. 👍

+1 I often buy a new mega-AU, my jaw drops at its specialness, but then i never use it because it's too comPlex and resource-hungry for the tiny task i actually want it to perform. It ca be overkill, in other words.

• @audio_DT I can relate.. fully + completely.. I’ll do it (endlessly tweak) if I have to.. I’d prefer not to.. 😎

• @royor said:
    @audio_DT I can relate.. fully + completely.. I’ll do it (endlessly tweak) if I have to.. I’d prefer not to.. 😎

Same here. And I'm also an inveterate tinkerer if encouraged, just in general, so if an app has bells and whistles, I might start messing about with it - endlessly. I'm discovering that just using simple apps to do simple things is best, in the main. But I do like a mess about with something more complex now and then, too. But ... best avoided!

• edited August 2020

@kinkujin said:
    I hope I didn't come off as ... a ...

:smile: not at all! I guess I went into overdrive "expectation management" alert mode there! These "teaser" type videos are always a bit of a double-edged sword, and there's always the risk of there being a bit of an "oh - is that all there is?" :smile:

Most encouraged by your comments guys! Little bit of a back story...

moodunits (as my little project is now known) was never really meant to be a releasable thing. I needed to get my head round AUv3 better, so I'd be suitably experienced to come up with solutions to get touchscaper into that world. So... I started experimenting with little, easy to understand things, and I thought, well, if this goes OK, I might end up using these myself. Then someone said, "Actually, I'd find those really useful!" At first, I was reluctant as I thought people will just look at them, and laugh at their simplicity. I'm sure some people will, but that's OK :smile:

"less stuff to tweak = more time to play"

^ this, totally this! I LOVE this. It's totally what moodunits are about. Now don't get me wrong here, I can get lost in a Model 15 virtual cable fest for hours and I love that app. Other times, I think well... right now I just want a big fat Moogy bass sound. That's when moodunits might be worth grabbing - all the bass sounds are from the Minitaur :wink:

Plus I'm also thinking of maybe folks using Garageband on an iPhone and they just want a classic swirly synth sound, but maybe don't know or even care what PWM stands for :smile:

Here's the UI (pre-release - subject to change) of Waverley in GB on my iPhone. Preset browser is active on the left, and there's a scrollable parameter view on the right, with the pan / auto pan parameters in view. The LFO % amount is scrolled out of view.

As you can see, this is very similar to the generic view you get in some AU hosts as I wanted it to be familiar and intuitive. Again, I realise this is very different to some AU interfaces! And yeah... sliders vs. knobs. To be honest, I still find it weird that the concept of "knobs" ever made their way into touchscreen interfaces, but I probably think too much about stuff like that :smile:

Anyhoo, thanks guys! Back to work for me...

• edited August 2020

iPad Pro 11 for comparison. Again, not totally settled on the UI design, and some stuff will change / is missing, but hopefully you get the picture :smile: One notable thing that isn't done yet is a host sync button next to the tap tempo buttons :wink:

• Looks great. I agree that sliders are way better than knobs on a touch screen interface, too.

• @moodscaper Lookin’ good! Love the individual app names.. Influenced by your surroundings?

• Wow quite the app. Anyone have a ballpark price Point?

• @moodscaper said:
    iPad Pro 11 for comparison. Again, not totally settled on the UI design, and some stuff will change / is missing, but hopefully you get the picture :smile: One notable thing that isn't done yet is a host sync button next to the tap tempo buttons :wink:

I don’t think it does enough ;P

• Doug’s demo..

• Looks great for modular madness.

• digging what you’ve made here! looks like it’s very quick and simple to get a sound going and add effects. sometimes that’s just what you need when you’re working on a song either to get an initial idea laid out or to fill in some spaces.. looking forward to the simplicity and user friendly gui

• I heard 4.99 but that might be €

@Poppadocrock said:
    Wow quite the app. Anyone have a ballpark price Point?

• edited August 2020

Those waveforms sound amazing. Can’t wait for this one.

(For those who haven’t watched the video yet - they are sampled from Moog hardware)

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    I heard 4.99 but that might be €

@Poppadocrock said:
    Wow quite the app. Anyone have a ballpark price Point?

Yea... I actually heard it too on the sound test room video. Thanks though.

That’s seems like an inviting price point? It looked cool but I was on the fence... if it’s $4,99 it’s mine.

• edited August 2020

Hi Folks, I can confirm 4.99 USD / GBP (5.49 EUR I think...), and that the main instrument "Waverley" is indeed designed as a super easy ROMpler type AU. As @reasOne said:

"looks like it’s very quick and simple to get a sound going and add effects. sometimes that’s just what you need when you’re working on a song either to get an initial idea laid out or to fill in some spaces"

That's the idea!

The 50 standard "factory" instruments are all analog synth based (Moog M32, Sirin & Minitaur), some with Strymon effects added. The plan is to offer additional instruments as IAPs. If you're familiar with Kontakt libraries on the desktop, think of moodunits instruments as a kind of much smaller version of that, and much cheaper too :wink: This is the thing I'm most excited about as there are some interesting plans afoot around additional instruments. Let's just say don't expect more analog synths... :smile:

Also, just to confirm the instrument and effects are AUv3 only - they don't run standalone. Not having to develop a standalone version saves a lot of development time, e.g. I don't have to do my own piano keyboard (dull...), extra UI, handle external MIDI and all that stuff. If Apple want me to go AUv3, then it's all or nothing! :smile:

Also iPhone compatible.

Shout out to Doug for doing the demo last night - so nice to hear moodunits being played by someone who can play! :smile:

I'm currently enjoying a very interesting app review process but hopefully will be available very soon...

• awesome! thank for everything @moodscaper love your apps. Touchscaper is the app that really kicked me into iOS production after years on the desktop.

• @shinyisshiny said:
    Touchscaper is the app that really kicked me into iOS production after years on the desktop.

Thanks and that's so cool! I haven't forgotten about touchscaper. I'm still working out the best way to get it into AUv3 world... :wink:

• @moodscaper said:
    Hi Folks, I can confirm 4.99 USD / GBP (5.49 EUR I think...), and that the main instrument "Waverley" is indeed designed as a super easy ROMpler type AU. As @reasOne said:

"looks like it’s very quick and simple to get a sound going and add effects. sometimes that’s just what you need when you’re working on a song either to get an initial idea laid out or to fill in some spaces"

That's the idea!

The 50 standard "factory" instruments are all analog synth based (Moog M32, Sirin & Minitaur), some with Strymon effects added. The plan is to offer additional instruments as IAPs. If you're familiar with Kontakt libraries on the desktop, think of moodunits instruments as a kind of much smaller version of that, and much cheaper too :wink: This is the thing I'm most excited about as there are some interesting plans afoot around additional instruments. Let's just say don't expect more analog synths... :smile:

Also, just to confirm the instrument and effects are AUv3 only - they don't run standalone. Not having to develop a standalone version saves a lot of development time, e.g. I don't have to do my own piano keyboard (dull...), extra UI, handle external MIDI and all that stuff. If Apple want me to go AUv3, then it's all or nothing! :smile:

Also iPhone compatible.

Shout out to Doug for doing the demo last night - so nice to hear moodunits being played by someone who can play! :smile:

I'm currently enjoying a very interesting app review process but hopefully will be available very soon...

This is glorious news! My $4.99 is ready

• Mine too. Amazing.

• i’m ready to play and pay

• What about MPE? @moodscaper
    Any plans?

• edited August 2020

@despego said:
    What about MPE? @moodscaper
    Any plans?

yes :smile: As you may know from touchscaper, MPE is very much "on my radar". Waverley (moodunits main instrument) currently does not support it... yet.