Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Hypnopad- Undulating Clouds of Saturn (Sensel Morph)

edited July 2020 in Creations

Giving this its own thread in case people missed it in the other thread.
Doing something a little different this time. It might appeal to the industrial ambient crowd.
Broke out the Sensel Morph with the Buchla Thunder overlay and decided to try out some new apps and apps I haven’t used before. Morph>Quanta>Saturn>Stratosphere Cloud Reverb (totally wet) > Undulator> Maximizer. Touché controller modulates Saturn.Drambo makes an appearance as a lead/auxiliary sound this time. An enjoyable little experiment.

Comments

• The input to Drambo is the drum pad trigger, right?

Is it using the Drambo round robin sequencing you asked for advice on?

I'm digging the tactile nature of your approach to creating a sonic landscape.
    "electro-ambient drumscapes" indeed.

• Hey @McD Yes. The Roland pad is sending raw audio into Drambo and going through the modal resonator/wave guides. There is no round robin used though. You pick a scale in the cv quantizer and the amount of the transients being played lets you go up and down that scale. Low volume= low notes and vice versa. There are good examples of this in the factory patches.
    I’m really enjoying the hand/finger playing- I just have to be careful not to hurt myself (I have a history of carpel tunnel/etc type injuries).

• Thanks for the tip on the factory patches... I'll check that out with my KatPad controller
    and some sticks with my new sticks with those large rubber balls that you use. I think I'll
    like them for keeping the "real world" noise down to minimum but still reliably triggering the
    cheap KatPad sensors.

• @McD I would actually recommend getting a used electronic drum pad (Roland /Alesis/Yamaha) that has a piezo mic in it to feed into Drambo as opposed to sending it samples. The modal stuff responds very well to timbre (dark/bright) as well as volume. Stick vs hand/finger tip vs nail/etc. That’s what makes it so expressive.

• Excellent, @hypnopad! I like the experimentations with the Morph (I have one and like it). Do you use the stock presets for Drambo? If not, screenshot of how you modify?

• @lukesleepwalker Thanks. I’m wanting to do more with the Morph. MPE really interests me.
    In Drambo I basically put three factory Impaktor type instruments (2 wave guides and one modal resonator) into a layers mixer. I then choose the scales and volumes in each as well as tweak other parameters. I find feedback and nonlinear two good ones to modulate in the wave guide. I can then use different scenes to change the scales (or anything else). Midi map the scene buttons and you’re good to go.
    I’m now thinking of instead of a layers mixer, I’ll run each Impaktor instrument into its own audio out and process them individually in AUM.

• @lukesleepwalker
    Here’s the three layers. Of course they get modulated and changed according to the project at hand.

• Very cool! Thanks for the info and inspiration!

• Really like this. One point of constructive criticism is that I wish you had developed the lead sound you were playing on the drum pad more. Towards the mid/end section, I kept wishing you would turn it into something longer. It was such a great sound but the tease went on too long for me!

• wimwim
    edited August 2020

I hate to sound so much like a fanboy, but I'm really starting to feel like we're in the presence of greatness here.

• @Gavinski said:
    Really like this. One point of constructive criticism is that I wish you had developed the lead sound you were playing on the drum pad more. Towards the mid/end section, I kept wishing you would turn it into something longer. It was such a great sound but the tease went on too long for me!

Thanks. I felt the exact same way but I couldn’t figure out at the time how to give more attention to the pad without losing track of what I was doing on the Morph. I’ll possibly work on it more. The downside to doing everything live. A third hand would come in handy- or maybe juggling lessons.😉

@wim said:
    I hate to sound so much like a fanboy, but I'm really starting to feel like we're in the presence of greatness here.

Thanks so much but I think you’re being too kind. I can actually say the same about you. If this forum was a game you would be the winner in my book.
    I have to admit I was a bit surprised at how well this came together so quickly. Next tune your sequencer will be the main feature.

• @hypnopad said:

@Gavinski said:
    Really like this. One point of constructive criticism is that I wish you had developed the lead sound you were playing on the drum pad more. Towards the mid/end section, I kept wishing you would turn it into something longer. It was such a great sound but the tease went on too long for me!

Thanks. I felt the exact same way but I couldn’t figure out at the time how to give more attention to the pad without losing track of what I was doing on the Morph. I’ll possibly work on it more. The downside to doing everything live. A third hand would come in handy- or maybe juggling lessons.😉

I know how you feel! My vids are guilty of the same thing

• @Gavinski Just to let you know, your videos inspired me to get both Saturn 2 and Undulator . I got Stratosphere after watching Jacob Haq’s video. It quickly dawned on me that Stratosphere(maxed out) would be just the thing to run through Undulator. So in a way you and Jacob helped with the conception of this signal flow!

• Very nice track and quite intriguing with the mix of that relentless machine-like rhythm with gentle vibe. I liked it a lot.

• @SimonSomeone said:
    Very nice track and quite intriguing with the mix of that relentless machine-like rhythm with gentle vibe. I liked it a lot.

Thanks. I’m calling it industrial ambient.🙂

• @hypnopad said:

.... Touché controller modulates Saturn.

Now there's an interesting use for it. Love Saturn 2 ... hadn't thought of running it via the Touche though ... next project.

Would love to know how you've got that mapped out - but it's very easy to set up.

Being a recovering string player I find the Touche is very useful for articulating bowing and the like - karplus-strong stuff ... - but it meant turning everything around a bit. Any fast wiggly trill-like muscle memory I've got is in my left hand - and the right - the bow hand - is used for pressure and nearly all the articulation.... so using the Touche this round-about way comes very naturally at least for me.

Have you done any other work involving this clever gadget?

• Hey @Soundscaper The Touché controller has been my favorite hardware purchase in quite a while. I’m not in my studio at the moment but I think I had one axis controlling band 2 level and another controlling band 2 feedback. I can’t remember the patch right now or the ranges I set in the AUM midi learn section.
    If you go to my YouTube channel( long press on my video title / choose open in YouTube/ press my channel title) look at my earlier overhead shot videos. I’m triggering lead notes in Lie along with the bass notes with my right foot pedal and modulating them with the Touché. In others I’m modulating NI Prism (resonator effect) parameters that the middle wave drum is going through.

• sounds great man!

• @hypnopad said:
    @Gavinski Just to let you know, your videos inspired me to get both Saturn 2 and Undulator . I got Stratosphere after watching Jacob Haq’s video. It quickly dawned on me that Stratosphere(maxed out) would be just the thing to run through Undulator. So in a way you and Jacob helped with the conception of this signal flow!

Great to hear that my vids are contributing in some small way to people making beautiful sounds! So you put the reverb on first and then the tremolo? Many people would do it the other way round, but I also love this kind of unorthodox approach to fx chaining, and AUM is such a perfect playground for this.

• @hypnopad what do you like about touche vs the morph?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @hypnopad what do you like about touche vs the morph?

I like how the Touché automatically jumps back to the center position and how I can use it by feel and not have to look at it. It truly feels three dimensional. With the Morph I really have to look at while playing and is more about playing notes AND modulating parameters whereas the Touché is all about just modulation. I do prefer the Buchla Thunder overlay on the Morph since I’m not a keyboard player.
    I haven’t tried the Morph without the overlays yet but it might become a different experience then. I’ve seen people do some amazing things with a naked Morph.

• @reasOne said:
    sounds great man!

🙏🏻🙏🏻

• You have mad skillz!!!! You are awesome!!!

• @onerez said:
    You have mad skillz!!!! You are awesome!!!

🙏🏻🙏🏻 More to come!

• @Gavinski I normally put reverb on last but once I saw that Stratosphere was really good at making long droning pads out of anything it made sense to use it for fodder in Undulator.I could still dial in the amount of verb getting through with the mix knob in Undulator.
    Speaking of Undulator - I’ve been having a blast experimenting with modulating the ribbon with the Touché.

• @hypnopad said: I’ve seen people do some amazing things with a naked Morph.

Had to laugh when I reread this sentence in my previous post.🙂