Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ATOM Piano Roll update is coming soon

Comments

• Didnt think id need atom. Hopefully its got mega bars. Hopefully midi input can be on a single channel across instances but output on different midi channels but not record midi input until record button is on. Would be better than manual connection in aum.

• Or if record arms with a midi cc coupled to show plugin.

• Or if it were multiout, instead of multiscreen.

• @blueveek said:

@espiegel123 said:

Will MIDI CC record/playback be included?

Multichannel input/output?

Yes.

Can’t wait!!!!

• edited September 2020

@blueveek said:
    What's in right now is scale quantisation while recording (notes will snap to the correct pitch). For other things, I'm still experimenting with workflows.

(Here's the reason why this part is still a WIP: I find that a lot of musicality comes from switching scales mid-melody, or going chromatic every once in a while. So I'm trying to find an approach that still allows for this.)

It would be fantastic if I could enable/disable individual keyboard keys so when quantizing or moving a selection, notes will snap to whatever I've set for this modification.
    Might be the vertical key row left from the piano roll or just a one-octave scale keyboard like in some other apps.

• @DatGood said:
    Ooooh yeah, I see that "Mutate" icon in the lower right corner.
    I see you.
    Bring it.

Yeah, I had my eye on Generate and Mutate too!

• Scale quant. is awesome

• edited September 2020

Highly anticipating.. it’s like the glue for iOS music creation..

https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/jk/0m4y2ueqh9j0.jpeg

• this is looking really great!

• Cheeky question for the dev - @blueveek hi, have you had any thoughts about pricing when the update drops? Atom is definitely on my shopping list but I'll hold off if there's going to be any chance of a price drop before or after the update - I know, I should just buy it now, but hey, who doesn't love a bargain...😁

• @bleep said:
    You keep saying it, but this is not a BM3 thread ;)

(...also not worth it until they fix their automation bugs / automation system). (And about those NS2 audio tracks...)

• especially looking forward to effective AU midi CC recording which is currently the missing link as an audio unit. :)

• edited September 2020

Cant wait for this update. It’s going to be huge. A few future ideas/recommendations here - apologies if they have already been mentioned:

• Random velocity/swing etc - similar to how Ableton Live allows, to give patterns a more human feel. Perhaps just based on percentage variation? Perhaps assignable to overall compositions as well as individual notes on the roll.

• Ability to write in ‘patterns’/‘parts’ and trigger with conditions, similar to how the rhythm component of the Rozeta suite works at the moment. Play pattern X times and then at the end of pattern ‘go to next/first/last/other/any’. Again this allows for some randomisation and generates unique and interesting flows between different melodic ‘parts’. Would be a lovely addition IMO

• Probably it's been requested/discussed, or maybe it's too late...
    Non-destructive quantisation - looks like there is room for a slider :)

• Will it be possible to create songs built upon patterns/parts? Sorry if I missed that part of the discussion.

All the other stuff sounds great, but song mode is what I really need.

• @blueveek said:
    What's in right now is scale quantisation while recording (notes will snap to the correct pitch). For other things, I'm still experimenting with workflows.

(Here's the reason why this part is still a WIP: I find that a lot of musicality comes from switching scales mid-melody, or going chromatic every once in a while. So I'm trying to find an approach that still allows for this.)

IDEA:

Riffer allows for you to dial in how many times the root note (of any arbitrary scale) is repeated. Perhaps a reverse of this idea could be implemented.

Allow the user how many notes (maybe even using the note duration since those passing notes give color) are to be outside the scale. To be determined randomly(?)

• @cian said:
    Will it be possible to create songs built upon patterns/parts? Sorry if I missed that part of the discussion.

All the other stuff sounds great, but song mode is what I really need.

Yep, ditto for song mode

• Song mode essential.

• song mode indeed 😎

• _ki_ki
    edited September 2020

Hey, don‘t get greedy :)

Let‘s just be happy that the main hurdle (updating the codebase to current IOS dev environment) has been overcome and the development of new features could finally continue.

There are already so many advancements and new features in the upcoming version, adding song mode would push back the release. Probably a lot of people are eagerly waiting for what can be seen in the screenshots, it‘s better to take small steps to the final goal of song mode than to wait half a year or more.

• As long as start and stop are AU automatable, we will be able to use one Atom instance to sequence patterns in others, whether there’s a Sony mode or not.

• edited September 2020

@wim: I like the idea of a Sony mode. Does that mean it can automatically do PlayStation chip tunes ;) ?

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

Auto correct is very easy and I would recommend this game for a free version and a better way to track. The amp only way for other people is that they don’t think 🤔 it is possible. But maybe you could do that if you’re gonna way to my house.

• @_ki said:

Let‘s just be happy that the main hurdle (updating the codebase to current IOS dev environment) has been overcome and the development of new features could finally continue.

There are already so many advancements and new features in the upcoming version, adding song mode would push back the release. Probably a lot of people are eagerly waiting for what can be seen in the screenshots, it‘s better to take small steps to the final goal of song mode than to wait half a year or more.

+1000000

We really need this as it currently is being portrayed honestly. The sooner the better. With midi cc, multi out, and midi import and export it is the major missing link in AUM. Between this and LK, I think AUM will be a complete masterpiece. Anything added to atom after is just icing on the cake imo.

• @_ki said:

I'm not being greedy, it's just that the lack of song mode is why I don't use this currently. I know there are hacks for getting round that, but I've never been able to understand/get those to work.

• edited September 2020

@enkaytee said:
    Cheeky question for the dev - @blueveek hi, have you had any thoughts about pricing when the update drops? Atom is definitely on my shopping list but I'll hold off if there's going to be any chance of a price drop before or after the update - I know, I should just buy it now, but hey, who doesn't love a bargain...😁

Check out a previous reply of mine in this tread regarding update pricing: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/835582/#Comment_835582

@audiblevideo said:

IDEA:

Riffer allows for you to dial in how many times the root note (of any arbitrary scale) is repeated. Perhaps a reverse of this idea could be implemented.

Allow the user how many notes (maybe even using the note duration since those passing notes give color) are to be outside the scale. To be determined randomly(?)

This could be a very interesting addition in a potential "probability toolkit". Thanks!

@wim said:
    As long as start and stop are AU automatable, we will be able to use one Atom instance to sequence patterns in others, whether there’s a Sony mode or not.

That's my thinking for now as well. I have a lot of ideas around various song/scene modes, but those will have to wait.

--

An aside: I'm having a blast reading your suggestions. I'm writing them down, so keep them coming. I would like all of you to keep in mind that to finally release this sooner rather than later, not all of them will make this first cut. And as @_ki mentioned, the main hurdle was overcome, so future updates should happen with more frequency.

In the meantime here's a quick teaser of the new scales menu (no more pesky horizontal toolbar). The scales are ordered by category (natural, harmonic, pentatonic etc.), and each scale lists all of its modes (major, minor etc.) ordered by brightness (an approximation of how bright, happy, sad or dark they sound). Oh, you can favourite them too!

• @cian said:

@_ki said:

I'm not being greedy, it's just that the lack of song mode is why I don't use this currently. I know there are hacks for getting round that, but I've never been able to understand/get those to work.

Thanks for this useful data point. Would it help if version 2.0 came with a tutorial for how to "sequence the sequencers"?

• @blueveek said:

@cian said:

@_ki said:

Thanks for this useful data point. Would it help if version 2.0 came with a tutorial for how to "sequence the sequencers"?

Yes! This! 100% this!

I'm prepared to believe that this could be a more useful way to work if I could just wrap my head around it.

I realize I sounded a bit negative. For me this has always been the sequencer I want to use, but I'm unable to make it work within my workflow.

• Me: stop asking for new features, just let @blueveek get this finished!

Also me: so can I just request this tiny feature... 😊

This discussion has been closed.