Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ATOM Piano Roll update is coming soon

Comments

• I thought I read something about, ‘Export to Ableton Set’?

• @RajahP
    I also love any form of straight forward export to ableton
    Sorry I don’t know the answer
    But keen to hear reply

• @Owgill said:
    Happy post Thanksgiving to all.

@blueveek just wondering if you will be implementing a per note probability triggering percentage in 2.0. So each note would have a percentage of triggering per sequences.

You mentioned that the code architecture was modular, such that this functionality would be able to implement rather easily. Thanks for all your great work and please advise :)

From blueveek:
    (Quote) This can be done in AUM by mapping MIDI events sent from the “arranger” Atom, into the parameters of other Atom “clips”. Transpose, probability, tempo and a bunch more are already available. These emitted MIDI events could be either the exis…

@Nicebutfun said:
    @RajahP
    But keen to hear reply

Looks like it’s on the ‘to do’ list..

blueveek: (Quote) Exporting all Atoms into an Ableton session that only contains MIDI clips is doable, I've added it as a feature request to 2.x. Including the audio tracks in a host, well.. I'd have to reach out to a few folks to see if it's possible.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Owgill said:
    Thanks @RajahP. From the Atom 2 interface pics I’ve seen I did see the probability icon, and this is super useful. However I didn’t a per note percentage. I’m probably mistaken though.

Just curious: would you want the probability to reset on every loop, or stick around? How do you see it comparing with a global "clip-level" probability setting that applies a probability equally to all notes?

• edited December 2020

@Nicebutfun said:
    @RajahP
    But keen to hear reply

Since all Atoms are capable of cross-process communication (yes, cross-process, not just cross-thread), sharing an Ableton set containing all Atom instances should be straightforward (because every instance knows about every other instance). I'd have to learn the file format for Ableton sessions first, so this won't make the cut for 2.0. But definitely doable in 2.x.

• edited December 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @blueveek

I'd like to propose another feature idea for Atom 2.x for your consideration.
    This is an idea I posted about on this forum long ago, and it's one that I still think about.

Description:
    Music on a piano roll is fundamentally midi notes placed on a timeline. At a basic level, the esthetic nature of music could be said to be derived from a combination of selected notes played in some particularly rhythmical way.

One of the most difficult tasks for a composer of limited dexterity, is live-playing notes to a complex rhythm in one take.

The Idea:
    Provide a feature in the piano roll that will allow the composer to separate the entering of notes from the entering of the rhythm.

One way this could work is to allow for a two-step entry process.

This is the work flow I've imagined:

First - Note entry is done where the piano roll records like a classic step-sequencer. Each time a note or a chord is played on a keyboard, each appears sequentially on the piano roll, each occupying an exact same note length. The piano roll is acting as a buffer. it's holding notes and chords in a sequence. Once entered, this note buffer can be saved as a normal midi clip.

Second - The composer now wants to write their saved buffer notes to a new track, "re-playing" each sequential note on the buffer, using a complex rhythm. By some method they first select the buffer they wish to use. The transport can be started in an "audition mode" so either another track, a drum track, or a metronome can be heard.

The composer can now experiment playing the buffer notes using very complex rhythms by pressing any key on an internal or external midi keyboard. Each midi-note-on uses the velocity, and note duration "as-played" by the composer.

However, the "note information" for these live key strikes is taken from the note buffer. This allows the composer to focus only on developing the rhythm for how their note series will be played. It relieves them from requiring the skill to play both notes and timing in the traditional way.

When the composer has developed and chosen a rhythm for playing their notes, the piano roll can be set to record, and the composition recorded into a standard midi track which can then be incorporated in to the composers song.

:)

• edited December 2020

You’re kind of describing Cykle I think

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/cykle/id1187680637

• @michael_m said:

Thanks.

?? I'm looking at the manual for Cykle. I'm not seeing where Cykle records "hand played note timing" that can be applied to a sequence of pre-entered notes. Cykle also does not seem to have piano roll editing capability ??

The feature idea as I'm imagining it, (IMO) would be most efficiently utilized in a piano roll recording paradigm. It's purpose is for assisting the recording of complex compositions onto a piano roll midi track.

• @horsetrainer said:

@michael_m said:

Thanks.

?? I'm looking at the manual for Cykle. I'm not seeing where Cykle records "hand played note timing" that can be applied to a sequence of pre-entered notes. Cykle also does not seem to have piano roll editing capability ??

The feature idea as I'm imagining it, (IMO) would be most efficiently utilized in a piano roll recording paradigm. It's purpose is for assisting the recording of complex compositions onto a piano roll midi track.

I’ve dreamed about this same kind of notes vs timing separation since iOS version Prehistoric. Especially since I was trying to be reproducibly musical on an iPhone 4s.

• @rud said:
    Blimey. I bought Atom a couple of weeks ago to get my head around it before the update came. I was looking forward to midi import and pitch bend. Now you’re all talking in another language like Atom 2 is gonna be totally different to what I thought I was buying.
    I think I’ll wait for @Gavinski to come to the rescue when this thing is born....

There is talk of a bundle to slightly discount Atom 2 for previous Atom owners, so you might end up with both and a discount on A2. Either way Atom 1 is still worth it, especially if you work in AUM, AB3, or Apematrix.

• @blueveek said:

@Nicebutfun said:
    @RajahP

Since all Atoms are capable of cross-process communication (yes, cross-process, not just cross-thread), sharing an Ableton set containing all Atom instances should be straightforward (because every instance knows about every other instance). I'd have to learn the file format for Ableton sessions first, so this won't make the cut for 2.0. But definitely doable in 2.x.

Export to Ableton Live Set would be a brilliant V2.0 feature! I’d settle for midi only, but if you did manage audio too, that really would be an, ahem, ‘g****chang** :)

• ^ I think we will have to settle for just midi atm. Atom doesn’t produce audio. Well not yet :)

• @blueveek said:
    All the trigger settings you'll probably ever want :)

There's presets you can choose from: Ableton-style, Launchpad-style, the modes in BM3 like "Hold", "One-shot" and "On Release", and the Atom-flavoured "Legato trigger".

The bottom settings are determined by the preset, but you can build your own: you get complete control of everything that happens when you press a pad, or when Atom receives a note or CC message on from a master arranger instance or some other plugin.

Whoa. Crazy. Did not know this would have clip launching.

@blueveek A suggestion comes to mind, if it’s not already been thought of, is to have a clip view without the piano roll. That way you could save a lot of screen space, and be able to launch clips once you’re done making them in the piano roll.

Haven’t been following this, nor have I read through all the thread, just something that came to mind. :p

• edited December 2020

@Richtowns said:
    ^ I think we will have to settle for just midi atm. Atom doesn’t produce audio. Well not yet :)

Yes, I want to make sure I manage expectations here. Ableton live set export seems doable, I'll have to learn how to do it, and won't come in 2.0. Feature creep is real.

@Dunamis said:

Whoa. Crazy. Did not know this would have clip launching.

...also seamlessly interface with external controllers. There's a lot more customisability that isn't shown in the screenshots which I hope at least a handful of people take advantage of :)

@blueveek A suggestion comes to mind, if it’s not already been thought of, is to have a clip view without the piano roll. That way you could save a lot of screen space, and be able to launch clips once you’re done making them in the piano roll.

Haven’t been following this, nor have I read through all the thread, just something that came to mind. :p

Thanks for bringing it up. Yes, master orchestrator views (or separate AUs) are planned for offering more cohesive clip launching and track building. The main theme however (you might've guessed it) – not in 2.0, but in a 2.x update.

• @Poppadocrock cheers, I’ll keep an eye out and probably get 2 as I’m always happy to learn new approaches to making tunes.
    I’ve recently started using aum so I’m sure it’ll be cool 👍

• @horsetrainer have you looked into RhythmBud? That combined with a generator like ChordBud 2, then record into a piano roll of your choice. It should cover at least part of what you're outlining.

• We still looking at a 2020 release @blueveek?

• @Lil_Stu07 said:
    We still looking at a 2020 release @blueveek?

I saw a flurry of new posts and my excitement went up. Stop pulling blueveek from his coding cage!

• @blueveek said:
    Feature creep is real.

I just had this image of creepy musicians haunting your dreams with multiple feature requests, like zombies asking for brains.

“Audiooooo!”

• @Lil_Stu07 said:

I'm not Blueveek's spokesperson, but as a beta tester I can confirm he is still working hard on Atom.

Nobody wants to get version 2.0 out more than him.

• @Liquidmantis said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

I saw a flurry of new posts and my excitement went up. Stop pulling blueveek from his coding cage!

LMFAO “Back in the cage!” whip cracks

• edited December 2020

@tk32 said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

I'm not Blueveek's spokesperson, but as a beta tester I can confirm he is still working hard on Atom.

Nobody wants to get version 2.0 out more than him.

Godspeed @blueveek. Godspeed.

• I think the July 'coming soon' title is a joke today.
    Too many words for a product that is still not ready after more than 4 months.

• @freddy said:
    I think the July 'coming soon' title is a joke today.

Yes, but if the feedback in the thread is helping to inform the development in any way then I think it’s worth it.

• @gusgranite said:

@freddy said:

Yes, but if the feedback in the thread is helping to inform the development in any way then I think it’s worth it.

Definitely! It’s great to see a developer who is so engaged with user feedback.

• Seems to be down to feature creep with external controller support etc. I’m just looking forward to having an AU multitrack midi recorder in AUM.

• Perhaps @joniqwest could change the title of the thread once again.

ATOM Piano Roll update: A work in progress

"Coming soon" has a different meaning to each individual.

That way people hopefully won't be inspired to keep asking when — like the kids in the car asking "are we there yet?" Every 15 minutes. 🙃

It will arrive eventually, and it will be worth the wait.

• I > @freddy said:

Should just go ahead and release. and the other stuff can come later.. Nobody is going to be mad... and ‘I’ will even pay for it.. don’t care about ‘free update’. Just release it Veek..

Thanks..😉

This discussion has been closed.