Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Music apps you don't like or disappointed you

Comments

• Oh yeah, AUM!!!

I know it seems to be universally loved by everyone but not me.

I use a DAW (Cubasis 3) and I'm pretty happy with that. I can understand some people pair it up with Xequence or whatever for that DAWless experience but I just cannot see the point otherwise.
    I've read people eulogising it as some kind of musical sketch pad or the genesis of everything they do... Fair enough I suppose but other than multi out or side chaining, C3 (or other DAW) will let me develop my little synth jam into a song in one place and that works for me.

Am I really missing something awsome here?

• Korg Gadget. There were usability issues it seemed only I experienced. The cost for added modules was IMO beyond ridiculous.

• @DukeWonder said:
    Drambo was a bit of a disappointment mostly from a personal level. I didn’t really understand the level of effort that was going to be involved to really dig in and create something unique. Also definitely wasn’t a fan of the sequencer.

Every Klevgrand app I’ve gotten except for Brusfri has been a disappointment as well. They’re just not the level of quality that I’d expect from a dev that’s been recommended as often as they’ve been.

blasphemy!

• edited July 2020

There's this app developer who makes really cool apps but every time I hear them or see them in a video I'm disappointed. Why? Because I know I can't use them because I simply can't stand the user interfaces...

• @wim said:
    I'll confess being disappointed that audio tracks for NS2 is taking so long and there's no indication when they will come. To be clear I'm not disappointed with the developer, and I'm not disappointed with the app itself. In fact the developer is a favorite and the app is something I marvel at and appreciate more than almost any app for what it is.

The disappointment is it gets rare use because I really can't work much without track freeze and audio. It's like having a gorgeous super model girlfriend that lives 1,000 miles away and you only go to see a few times a year. She says she's going to move closer some day but it's been many months and she still can't say when. I start to get the feeling I'll be too old to care by the time she does. ;)

I am disappointed in NS2 audio tracks and that fact that half of my AUv3 apps won't render properly in NS2. I was equally disappointed in BM3 being abandoned for a year between updates and now at 9 months since the last update and there are still a lot of basic issues with CPU performance compared to other DAW apps

• @jolico said:
    Get all the apps you can afford.
    They cost much less than their hardware or pc counterparts and they all fit inside your pocket.

Agree with everything, but this...
    Supporting devs is nice and all, but this isn't charity and imo there is more downside to this approach than up.
    Buying apps for the sake of it will result a bunch of totally unused apps (not good for productivity), and another lot that you use just enough to be able to draw up a nice list of things essential to your workflow...
    Providing support to a typical entitled customer is probably worse than not having him/her onboard at all if it isn't his/her cup of tea. It's a niche market and devs know that... and this won't solve the problem...

• every single app has something wrong with it. they all suck. especially all of the free ones.

• @lasselu said:
    There's this app developer who makes really cool apps but every time I hear them or see them in a video I'm disappointed. Why? Because I know I can't use them because I simply can't stand the user interfaces...

Tell me the name. Now. Resistance is futile.

• @supadom said:
    Bebot!

No sequencer
    No sampling
    No XY pad
    No audio editing
    No AUV3
    No Link

It does look great on stage though.

Damn you bebot!

Shun! Shun the heretic!

• @jacou said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@DukeWonder said:>
    Every Klevgrand app I’ve gotten except for Brusfri has been a disappointment as well. They’re just not the level of quality that I’d expect from a dev that’s been recommended as often as they’ve been.

Same here. I can’t imagine buying another Klevgrand app.

Well if you’re looking for clean sounding fx Klevgrand is definitely the wrong address. I’m madly in love with Klevgrand as their plugins add this nasty analogue saturated goodness that modern computer made music so often lacks. Each to their own I guess.

Check out the free Tape Cassette AU. I like it much better for tape saturation.

• iMonoPoly - my favourite synth by far, for still not being AUv3
    Cubasis 3 - for still being buggy as hell, at least on my iPad

and
    Aphelian - looked fun at first, but everything i got out of it sounded quite boring (might be my fault, lf course)

• tjatja
    edited July 2020

I meed to mention BeatMaker 3 here.

From the strange problems at release, the lack of information, the lost of valuable beta features that were then not released to other stuff that was removed, the incredible slow rate of updates, now the lack of updates, the fact that i needed about 1 year to find a way to get MIDI in and out of this App, the crashes and also the strange non-standard way to handle drum MIDI, this App needs to be mentioned.

• NS2, Drambo (really down to me not getting into it properly), Playbeat (not state saving on my Air2), and sEGments as it crashes constantly.

• Bass 808.
    Biggest waste of $1000 EVER!!!!!!

😛

• @slicetwo said:

I feel you on this. While I dig the sequencer since it reminds me a LOT of Elektron's version, the amount of work that goes in to creating sounds and racks is unenjoyable.

In this aspect, it’s just like the Octatrack!

• edited July 2020

apps that crash and like @Krupa knobs thats behave and are hard to dial in cough 4pockets cough

• Cyber Tuner was my biggest mistake. My hope will be that I could tune my piano like professionals, and....
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/cybertuner/id490451741

;)

• I have a few apps that are disappointed in me...

• @MAtrixplan said:
    Cyber Tuner was my biggest mistake. My hope will be that I could tune my piano like professionals, and....
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/cybertuner/id490451741

;)

How much are the IAPs?

• @king_picadillo said:
    I have a few apps that are disappointed in me...

😀 Don’t we all!

• I'm coming to appreciate Drambo more and more as I learn to do things, so any flatness I felt on launch was down to me not being able to hit the ground running with it.

I tend to use it to create custom FX rather than as a groovebox and it's great for that.

• @0tolerance4silence said:

@jolico said:
    Get all the apps you can afford.
    They cost much less than their hardware or pc counterparts and they all fit inside your pocket.

Agree with everything, but this...
    Supporting devs is nice and all, but this isn't charity and imo there is more downside to this approach than up.
    Buying apps for the sake of it will result a bunch of totally unused apps (not good for productivity), and another lot that you use just enough to be able to draw up a nice list of things essential to your workflow...
    Providing support to a typical entitled customer is probably worse than not having him/her onboard at all if it isn't his/her cup of tea. It's a niche market and devs know that... and this won't solve the problem...

Not for charity.
    To try it and see if it clicks.

• @zah said:
    Reason Compact.
    I'm a huge Reason fan and have been waiting forever for Reason on iPad. Well, Reason Compact came, and I was initially interested, but it was designed more for iPhone than iPad and just had one synth. One track. One synth. No bass. No drums. A really wonky sequencer that went vertical instead of to the horizontal. (for the Phone). Eventually they added two more tracks with bass and drum, but paying 15 dollars each for each instrument puts you back 45 dollars for nothing, really.
    This thing is not even remotely close to a Reason Experience that they shouldn't even have put the word Reason to it.

I'm still hopeful that the devs over there will eventually get a Reason for iPad out before we all die off.

ding ding effin' ding

• I'm very disappointed by 3 apps that are now abandoned and that I'd be so happy to see "coming to life again" : Flux:FX, Diode-108 and BM3 😢

• edited July 2020

For me, the main one is FL Studio Mobile 3. It's an app that has so much potential for being one of the best music apps. It looks beautiful, is easy to navigate, and is super powerful. However, its only "sidechaining" feature is an autoducker (which is of little use to me as a producer that works with vocals). Also, it's a walled garden type app (well, may as well be since I can't stand IAA) due to not having AUv3 support. At least it has a built-in autotune effect now? 🤷‍♂️

(Low key, Nanostudio 2 is a lot more like how FL Studio used to be back in its Fruity Loops days, back before FL Studio had audio clips.)

Another disappointment is Gadget 2. I would've been happy to pay for better built-in effects (improved EQ being the main one). And the "new and improved" GUI, despite being improved, still bothers my eyes. The original Gadget's GUI was much easier on the eyes, at least for me.

(EDIT: And yes, I did purchase pretty much everything Korg released on the iPad, including all of the IAPs. Hundreds of dollars spent on their ecosystem!)

The third would be Drambo, but that disappointment is in myself for not being able to wrap my head around it, not with the app itself. :lol: Beepstreet outdid themselves hands down.

The fourth would be Z3ta+. It finally got the bugfixes after a year or two of no bugfixes, and then Cakewalk was bought out. Thanks to Cakewalk being bought out, Z3ta+ no longer exists (at least on iOS as there does appear to be a Z3TA+ 2 that exists on PC/Mac).

The fifth would be Thor. Why Propellerheads Reason Studios refuses to update it to be AUv3 compatible is beyond me. Then again, at least that one is still available in the appstore.

• @Gratouilli said:
    I'm very disappointed by 3 apps that are now abandoned and that I'd be so happy to see "coming to life again" : Flux:FX, Diode-108 and BM3 😢

I miss Diode 108 too. I can’t even find it it my purchased list. Do you know a way to retrieve it?

• @LeeB said:
    I miss Diode 108 too. I can’t even find it it my purchased list. Do you know a way to retrieve it?

Any app you have purchased can be located using your iTune profile under the "purchased" link. It will list chronologically every app you have purchased using that account and it has a search box too to save (for me) an hour of scrolling to find SampleTank. Apple and the developers respect that fact that there should be a version
    downloadable long after the developer has stopped selling it.

Now... hardware and IOS version levels maybe be required for you to meet the criteria
    for the re-installation process. Old iPhone and iPads are good for these corner cases
    and experiments to see how far we have come from Nanostudio or Beatmaker One.

You can also create a list of "family members" and share these purchases and then you'll
    see how evil IAP's are for apps like iSymphonic( or any Crudebytes roach motel), BeatHawk,
    or Gadget (Korg Module too).

• ALL iOS DAW’s. Literally every one. They’re all missing important features or are unstable in some way. Not ready for primetime. But then again I have low expectations for any “DAW” that’s soo cheap. I’d gladly pay double or more for a complete DAW (that works!).

Also disappointed at the general level of sync in iOS. As long as you’re “in the box” its OK, but in a pro studio environment it can be incredibly frustrating. Sync isn’t a “feature”. It’s a necessity. And no, Ableton Link isn’t a panacea.

• Remember Modstep?

• @markk said:
    Remember Modstep?

@markk yes I bought it . Looked at it and got visual brain ache